2.06 coming soon - should custom models be changed?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Change Custom System

No - It works fine as is
24%
Yes - Implement the new system
57%
Don't really care either way
19%

Total votes: 37
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

2.06 coming soon - should custom models be changed?

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:41 pm

Hello all,

back from my break - glad to see the place is still standing! ;)

Next order of business will be the "official" update for RTW Deluxe, version 2.06. This will include all bug fixes so far (including the fatal bug fix which seems to have been solved as of 2.04) as well as the fix to keep the penta/star option permanent.

The big question - should the custom model system be changed or left as is (see discussion on this here - http://www.pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1361)? I've put in a quick little poll - let me know what you think, if you care.

Cheers,
P
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:59 pm

Welcome back Pat. Hope you had a good holiday. :D

I've voted to change the system. There have been a few instances where people have used the models in their levels but either forgot to upload a new folder with the models in it or forgot to rename models to model1 etc., so to do away with the need for this would be great. What will happen to the models that have already been uploaded? Will they just need taking out of their folders? And what about skins, will they have to have the same name as the model or what? Only some models have more than one skin file and they can't all have the same name.

I haven't had a single crash since installing the 2.04 patch btw, but some levels are still a bit jerky, usually the ones with models in.
Pauline
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:18 pm

popo wrote:What will happen to the models that have already been uploaded?
Not sure how I'll do that yet - I might contact authors of such models and advanced levels to send me "new" versions via e-mail and then replace all the old advanced levels with the new set. Or I'll do it myself. Or I'll have the new version read both old and new advanced level versions so that the old stuff can just stay as is. Will keep y'all posted.
popo wrote:I haven't had a single crash since installing the 2.04 patch btw, but some levels are still a bit jerky, usually the ones with models in.
Great - glad that finally got worked out.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:45 am

I think the new system is generally a good idea, but I do need to give a minor technical heads-up:

From various sources, I have confirmed that in the 3ds file format, skin file names are limited to 12 characters total. Because this includes the extension and the period preceding it, you actually only get 8 characters for the name of your skin file.

I think you know where this is leading to since I believed I already e-mailed you a while ago asking about how skin file names interact with the model's filename.

I think it's definitely important to have the new system designed so that it's just as easy as it currently is for people to customize custom-floor type stuff (via skin editing), particularly meaning without the need for them to use 3d model software (not that it's a big deal but it is a hassle). (Again this is related to what I mentioned in e-mail.) Keep in mind that custom-floor type models currently have the most versatility and utility to level creators.
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:23 am

LinkyNStoof wrote: Keep in mind that custom-floor type models currently have the most versatility and utility to level creators.
Hi Patrick, Hope your Holiday was nice.

I am voting to change to the new system.

I seem to be a wash-out in the 3d modeling department :roll: , still working on it tho, but I do love the custom-floor type models that Robbie, SnL and popo conceived and perfected. I use them a lot. Don't lose the ability to use them as they are. (Please)

jg

PS I haven't had a crash since I downloaded the very first patch. :D I have not used any of the others.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:18 am

LinkyNStoof wrote:From various sources, I have confirmed that in the 3ds file format, skin file names are limited to 12 characters total. Because this includes the extension and the period preceding it, you actually only get 8 characters for the name of your skin file.

I read on the AC3D forum that it's not just the skin file but the 3ds file as well that needs to be in 8.3 format. Some models I've posted have longer names than that BUT they aren't used in the game with those names. Renaming them to model1 etc. shortens the names to less than eight characters. What will happen when they don't have to be renamed? :?
Pauline
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:51 pm

LinkyNStoof wrote:I think the new system is generally a good idea, but I do need to give a minor technical heads-up:

From various sources, I have confirmed that in the 3ds file format, skin file names are limited to 12 characters total. Because this includes the extension and the period preceding it, you actually only get 8 characters for the name of your skin file.
I'll double-check this, but I don't think this will be a problem, since it's the Wonderland engine that applies the skin "by hand", not through the 3ds format.
LinkyNStoof wrote:
I think you know where this is leading to since I believed I already e-mailed you a while ago asking about how skin file names interact with the model's filename.

I think it's definitely important to have the new system designed so that it's just as easy as it currently is for people to customize custom-floor type stuff (via skin editing), particularly meaning without the need for them to use 3d model software (not that it's a big deal but it is a hassle). (Again this is related to what I mentioned in e-mail.) Keep in mind that custom-floor type models currently have the most versatility and utility to level creators.
This shoudln't be a problem either - unless I misunderstand something.

Let's say you wish to make a level with a new custom 6x6 floor that depicts a map on the ground. You would make a copy of your standard 6x6 floor that was posted on this site and rename it, say, "mapfloor66.3ds". Now you would simply edit the skin file and name it "mapfloor66.jpg". That way Wonderland will see that there is a matching skin file and apply it. Does that make sense to you? Or am I overlooking something?
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:12 pm

How about, besides those improvements to put a browse button in the editior (if possible). If yes, would make life much more simple! :P When we clicked in it, would appear all folders and .3ds files to we to choose from.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:40 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:Let's say you wish to make a level with a new custom 6x6 floor that depicts a map on the ground. You would make a copy of your standard 6x6 floor that was posted on this site and rename it, say, "mapfloor66.3ds". Now you would simply edit the skin file and name it "mapfloor66.jpg". That way Wonderland will see that there is a matching skin file and apply it. Does that make sense to you? Or am I overlooking something?
But that means the skin file has more than eight characters, and when I've tried skin files with more than eight characters they don't show up in the game. And what happens when there's more than one skin file? Like I said before, they can't all have the same name. Take my swimming pool for example, that has 3 skin files. How would I have to name them?
Pauline
loof101
Rainbow Master

Post by loof101 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:09 pm

janetgalle wrote:
LinkyNStoof wrote: Keep in mind that custom-floor type models currently have the most versatility and utility to level creators.
Hi Patrick, Hope your Holiday was nice.

I am voting to change to the new system.

I seem to be a wash-out in the 3d modeling department :roll: , still working on it tho, but I do love the custom-floor type models that Robbie, SnL and popo conceived and perfected. I use them a lot. Don't lose the ability to use them as they are. (Please)

jg

PS I haven't had a crash since I downloaded the very first patch. :D I have not used any of the others.
I vote to...

change it!

loof 101

PS I say change cuz when I play a level with Custom Content, my system always dies :cry: :cry:
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:50 pm

loof101 wrote: I vote to...

change it!

loof 101

PS I say change cuz when I play a level with Custom Content, my system always dies :cry: :cry:

I'm not sure changing it would make any difference to whether your computer crashes. It's probably more to do with your RAM or processor speed. :?
Pauline
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:22 pm

popo wrote: But that means the skin file has more than eight characters, and when I've tried skin files with more than eight characters they don't show up in the game. And what happens when there's more than one skin file? Like I said before, they can't all have the same name. Take my swimming pool for example, that has 3 skin files. How would I have to name them?
Ah yes, I see the problem. I'm going to have to think about this a bit more. The original custommodel system was meant for 1-model-1-skin systems. Leave it to you folks to push the envelope. ;)

(...Ponders...)

Possibly one solution is to give each model its own directory. That way rather than giving one global directory that would include up to four models for a level you would simply indicate directories individually for each custommodel. That directory would have a 3ds file in it (either call them it simply model.3ds or have Wonderland just pick up the first 3ds file it finds in that directory, that way naming wouldn't matter) as well as any skin files. If two or more models use some of the same skin files there would still be some duplication in directories, but still it would be much easier than the current system.

Now that's a solution after a 30sec ponder. :? Thoughts, comments?

I'll endup releasing an intermediate 2.05 first by the end of the week, since some of you have been eagerly awaiting the pentagram/star fix (also in the editor). The custommodel system will be a little longer, just to be sure I don't have to change it again! ;) Kaboom - a directory is a possibility, let me see how that would work.
loof101
Rainbow Master

Post by loof101 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:46 pm

popo wrote:
loof101 wrote: I vote to...

change it!

loof 101

I'm not sure changing it would make any difference to whether your computer crashes. It's probably more to do with your RAM or processor speed. :?
It dies with the system. I mean

MAV!

loof 101
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:44 am

I thought the MAV occured when there are too many objects in a level, for instance, I get a MAV when there are more than 100 coins even if there are no custom models. :?
Pauline
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:44 pm

The intermediate v2.05 should be all ready to go. You can download the files
here:

www.midnightsynergy.com/returntowonderl ... ate205.zip

Unzip the files (there are four) into your current RTW directory (i.e.
overwriting the existing ones). Don't simply run them from within the zip
file or form a separate directory, as that will cause an error.

This should fix the permanence of the star option, as well as replacing the
editor symbol (if star option has been picked). Let me know if there are any problems.

Also, any opinions about the 1-model-per-directory idea above? Esp. from our level-makers, of course?
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:23 pm

I do like the idea of 1 model, 1 directory if it means that more than one skin file can be put in there. If I were more proficient at texture mapping I would be able to get it down to one skin file per model but I've only been modelling for a month so I'm not that good yet. It is something I would like to try though.

The present update doesn't bother me much. I don't mind the pentagram.

Will the 2.06 update include this one or should I install this one and the next?
Pauline
brentnor
Platinum Wonderlander

2.05 Patch Feedback

Post by brentnor » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:30 pm

Hi Pat,

The only thing that I noticed so far with the 2.05 patch was I was unable to access the Level Editor from the menu in the game.

If I access the Level Editor first and then chose "Return to Game" it would correct the above problem.

Mark Alan
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Re: 2.05 Patch Feedback

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:44 pm

brentnor wrote:The only thing that I noticed so far with the 2.05 patch was I was unable to access the Level Editor from the menu in the game.
That's weird - I just tried it (loaded the game, then selected Level Editor from the ingame menu) and it worked no problem.

Popo - no need to install this patch if you don't need that option - all patches are cumulative, so when you install 2.06 etc you automatcially get all previous fixes/changes too.
bpurcell
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by bpurcell » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:57 am

Patrick,

When I downloaded the 2.05 patch, it changed my options to "Untimed" and "All Worlds Unlocked". I know they were different before, and I realized they changed when I only got 10 points finishing a level. I was able to change them back, though.
brentnor
Platinum Wonderlander

2.05 Patch Feedback

Post by brentnor » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:02 am

Hey Pat,

I tried to reproduce the problem again, where the Level Editor wasn't loading and I couldn't get it to happen.
I had an Internet Explorer Window minimized in the background when it happened before. Maybe that could have somehing to do with the Editor not loading.

Sorry about that. It seems to be fine.

Mark Alan
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:53 pm

bpurcell - it might change it one the first go, but once you change them back there shouldn't be any further issues.

Please note (for those who downloaded v2.05 and are playing with pentagrams) that there was a little bug. It's fixed as of now - just re-download and overwrite the files again. Thanks to Kaboom! for pointing that one out.
siberian_tiger812000
Silver Wonderlander

need help on secret worlds the washout the waste lands

Post by siberian_tiger812000 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:28 am

i have tried everything possible to get the wooden boxes broken but there is no way i can do it can someone please help me been stuck on this for weeks now a picture diagram would be great if someone could please help :cry:
siberian_tiger812000
Silver Wonderlander

Re: need help on secret worlds the washout the waste lands

Post by siberian_tiger812000 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:29 am

siberian_tiger812000 wrote:i have tried everything possible to get the wooden boxes broken but there is no way i can do it can someone please help me been stuck on this for weeks now a picture diagram would be great if someone could please help :cry:
slimm tom
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by slimm tom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:00 pm

Could you please not post on old threads siberian_tiger812000? This discussion has long ended and if you have a question, post a new thread with the "New Thread" button.