Features You'd Like to See in WA3?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Nobody wrote:Actually, only the camera angles and text is hardcoded... the .wlvs can be edited.
This is true. In other words, if you've got enough patience to make a level that works, cutscenes are theoretically do-able.

EDIT: LOOK AT ME I FAIL AT READING, DIDN'T NOTICE "text is hardcoded"
Muzozavr wrote:
yot yot5 wrote:I think "Within An Ace" was quite an easy level. True, I needed a restart every obstacle or two, but every MOFI level has that! The tiles that bring up the fireflowers I also found rather fast, they have a sort of round button-like look about them.
The problem is not the fact that it's difficult, the problem is that it requires trial-and-error to succeed. I think "Pool Room", for example, is a more difficult level than "Within An Ace", but theoretically you could be smart and awesome enough to solve "Pool Room" on the first try. Doing that to "Within An Ace" is literally impossible -- you have to know all the traps in advance.

WSW-like static cutscenes should not be hard to implement... but then everyone is going to whine about not getting the cooler WA-like moving cutscenes. :?
I personally feel that MoFI's community-built nature (for lack of a better description) can be "felt" the further into it you get (not to say that's a bad thing, mind you).

For that matter, I kind of feel the same way about WSW. For instance, in other classic trilogy games post-Deluxe (I believe it was deluxe that added houses? can't remember), whenever there were houses in levels, they usually just had bonus coins or something along those lines inside (I'm going off of memory here and it's been a while since I played RTWD onwards apart from WSW, so correct me if I'm wrong). In WSW, however, sometimes you can find more important parts of puzzles inside, like a button, box, or sometimes enemies.

There are some other parts of WSW that have elements I'd attribute to user-generated levels (e.g. boxes on bridges, gates with a box on either side, signs reading like dialog, etc.) as well, for that matter.
exhypercube
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by exhypercube » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Prisms would be good for levels.
I had this account since I was young. I'm in college now.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:59 pm

At least in WSW it's blatantly obvious if you don't have the full information. You can always see fake walls if you're observant enough and houses are just begging to be explored. "Within An Ace" is an example of a level that not only doesn't give you the full information, but it also gives you no indication of that. Plus, the first time you go around the corner it just kills you right off the bat, which is just mean. :lol:

(Just in case someone perceives this the wrong way: I don't have anything against MOFI as a whole so far and I don't even have that much against the level itself, I'm merely using it as an example to make a few points)

By the way: here's another moment where MOFI messes it up a bit. That said, even the original WA can be made unwinnable if you try hard enough, but still... Given the general difficulty, 99% percent of players (and, apparently, playtesters) would never do this, but...

Let's assume we have an obsessive puzzle-maniac of a player. He wants to solve every single level in a given area with all gems and coins before going onto the next area. If the area has some "side-bonuses" he will make sure to get them first. So far it's OK, right?

He gets to the jungle and the stone keys. Now let's assume he solves everything he can find (including "Heart of the Jungle") and gets all stone keys, including the one from the merchant. Now, after finding "Heart of the Jungle", which is a well-hidden adventure, it's not illogical to assume there is another one like that. It's also not illogical to assume that there are enough adventures in the area to actually get all the stuff that you can get.

So he gets the side-bonuses first (being obsessive and all) and there is one last stone door left. BUT: there is no way to open it. The last adventure in the area, which is "Ace Gets Swamped" is not available until you finish "Within An Ace" in the Kaboom! Village. But there's one last stone door left, so a player who gets the side-bonuses first is unable to visit Kaboom! Village.

As far as I know, there's no way out of this situation other than reloading an earlier save or restarting the game.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 pm

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 am

Emerald141 wrote:(although you can't change which characters are colored and which aren't). The camera angles, however, you can't.
Theoretically you can, but no one knows where that data is yet.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:24 am

No one even knows the data format.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Okay, um, I'm not really sure where else to put this so it's in here.

I was bored and decided to check the wg.exe of MoFI to find the cutscene text, and I found something that is... quite frankly, bizarre.

I found this around the text from the end cutscenes in MoFI... Not sure what to think of this at all. Patrick, what on Earth is this? I'm scared :shock:

Code: Select all

\Current \  Default Stinky Open PRESENTS PRESENTS PRESENTS Data\Adventures\Hub\4.wlv data\music\4.ogg BE AFRAID OF THE SCARY WATERFALLS. HEAR THE SCARY MUSIC! HAHA! YOU ARE GOING TO DIIEE. DIE!!            !                               DIIEEEEE!!! Now, let's see a very          beach. MUAHAHA!                          scary  Data\Adventures\Hub\22.wlv
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Oh, okay. My bad.

Didn't realize I was on that wg.exe, hah. :lol: :oops:
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Hey Muzozavr, I got all the bonus gems and coins before reaching the Kaboom! village (I admit it, I needed to cheat on "The Heart of the Jungle").
I think the adventure "Ace Gets Swamped" doesn't give you a stone key.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 pm

yot yot5 wrote:Hey Muzozavr, I got all the bonus gems and coins before reaching the Kaboom! village (I admit it, I needed to cheat on "The Heart of the Jungle").
I think the adventure "Ace Gets Swamped" doesn't give you a stone key.
It did for me... ??? OK, then, maybe if you do things "straight away" something is different... or maybe I really am missing an adventure, although I triple-checked everything.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I found this around the text from the end cutscenes in MoFI... Not sure what to think of this at all. Patrick, what on Earth is this? I'm scared :shock:

\Current \  Default Stinky Open PRESENTS PRESENTS PRESENTS Data\Adventures\Hub\4.wlv data\music\4.ogg BE AFRAID OF THE SCARY WATERFALLS. HEAR THE SCARY MUSIC! HAHA! YOU ARE GOING TO DIIEE. DIE!!            !                               DIIEEEEE!!! Now, let's see a very          beach. MUAHAHA!                          scary  Data\Adventures\Hub\22.wlv
I was so cute back then!
exhypercube
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by exhypercube » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:26 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:I found this around the text from the end cutscenes in MoFI... Not sure what to think of this at all. Patrick, what on Earth is this? I'm scared :shock:

I was so cute back then!
How scary is the hack?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:45 am

Actually, speaking of "scary", I just thought of something else. Might sound silly, but I'm not joking around here.

One of the things that admittedly I liked about Adventures 1 was that the death animations got across the point that you messed up, but they weren't anything overly shocking. Main connection from what I remember? The Stinker's hat was always intact.

Death by Firetrap/Fireball? Stinker gets burnt, turns toward screen and starts tapping his/her foot in disappointment.

Death by water? Stinker's hat floats while the Stinker sinks into the water.

Death by Spikeball/Chomper/etc.? Stinker floats up like the classic Wonderland death animations, bursts, and their hat floats down.

As far as death causes in MoFI go, the only one with a new animation is the lava squares.

Death by lava? Stinker bursts into flames, their hat disappears, and they start sinking through the ground.

I don't know about anyone else, but every time that happens to me it's startling, even when I know it's coming. I'm pretty sure I swore the first time it happened to me - not out of frustration, but out of surprise.

While it gets the point across, I think it's a bit too... extreme (for lack of a better word) in comparison to the rest.

Admittedly, I've got nothing for a workaround, but if possible, I do personally think that it should be toned down in some way. I don't really know how, and it's definitely not a major issue by any means, but it still gets to me every time it happens.

It might just be that I've read way, way too much creepypasta, but still... :wink: :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:53 am

If you keep him not sinking it will look really silly... and if you make him sink and THEN the hat falls down and either sinks or bursts on contact, it would look even creepier. Don't know what to do, really. :lol: Though I'm not that far into MOFI, so I never saw this so far...
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:32 am

Yeah, I don't really have any ideas for alternatives at all. Even so, that one death animation has startled me more times than just about anything else in the game. :lol:
wonderland5000
Gold Wonderlander

Post by wonderland5000 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:55 pm

What text is hardcoded?
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:19 pm

LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:23 am

More colored teleporters, transporters, gates and buttons.
Alt-X back
Last edited by LittleZbot on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:20 pm

*sigh*

For the benefit of those who don't know what your number 1 option means, please delete it.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:22 pm

It does not have to have connection.

I think a page called "The Vault" with a full collection of WA development plans and stuff like that is a good idea.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Alt-X being there from the start would wreck blink-based puzzles by allowing you to blink too far.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:13 am

Emerald141 wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:As far as death causes in MoFI go, the only one with a new animation is the lava squares.
There are actually two new modos mortum in MoFI (lava and freezing) but only lava has a new animation... personally, I also thought death by lava was a little shocking, but death by freezing seemed disappointingly anticlimactic. I think there should be an animation there as well, but I'm not sure what it should be.

As for the Alt+X controls: I think that these should be in WA3, but not available at the start; the player should only be able to use them once he/she unlocks... you know.
Yeah, forgot about being frozen. Even then, though, it doesn't add a new animation.

Having said that, I agree that being frozen is too anti-climatic. For that matter, in MoFI, if you freeze yourself, it seems to last much longer than it did if you froze an NPC in WA1. While that's not a problem in MoFI's default adventures, it's just something I noticed while messing around with magic.

While I'm not sure what to do re: Death animations, my thinking is this:

1) Change Lava!Death animation to be less shocking.
2) Add Ice!Death animation to get the point across better.
3) Make Brr'ing yourself last shorter and not use Ice!Death animation.

I'm not saying that any of this is necessary, of course, but I think it'd be a good idea, so... yeah.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 am

A unique ice death animation wouldn't make sense. IIRC, after Cedric-in-the-Morning got unfrozen, he said that he could see from inside of the ice cube, but he couldn't move at all.

What kind of animation could be added to that death, anyways?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:53 am

MyNameIsKooky wrote:A unique ice death animation wouldn't make sense. IIRC, after Cedric-in-the-Morning got unfrozen, he said that he could see from inside of the ice cube, but he couldn't move at all.

What kind of animation could be added to that death, anyways?
I don't follow how it "doesn't make sense". It wouldn't be necessary, sure, but something to differentiate freezing yourself and getting hit by an iceflower spell would be nice.

As for what could be added, I have no idea either.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 am

Qloof234 wrote:something to differentiate freezing yourself and getting hit by an iceflower spell would be nice.
Oh, I thought you meant just adding a cooler animation. Never mind, then.

But there isn't really a difference between your Brr and Iceflower Brr, is there? (Aside from the infinite freeze from Iceflowers, of course.)
Qloof234 wrote:As for what could be added, I have no idea either.
A giant explosion. Fund it.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:04 am

Oh, yeah, adding an animation just to add an animation wouldn't really be worth it.

And yeah, the only difference between Player!Brr and Iceflowers is that the Iceflower spell lasts forever. I'm pretty sure (not entirely) that in the coding, they're the same spell.

It isn't really necessary to begin with, but it's something that I think would be a nice bit of polish, so to speak. There aren't many scenarios where the player will end up freezing themselves, is the thing.
exhypercube
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by exhypercube » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm confused. In Boom or Bust, didn't the other two stinkers got frozen and then broke free from the ice?
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:30 pm

No.