Wonderland Games - Troubleshooting (IMAGE HEAVY)

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl, ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03

Aryan
Rainbow Seeker

Wonderland Games - Troubleshooting (IMAGE HEAVY)

Post by Aryan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:33 am

So, with the age of Blitz3D and the advent of modern computers, there are problems that are faced by most of us. Usually, some problems like timed black screens can be tolerated, but some serious issues like game lag are necessary to be resolved.

So, I thought I could create a topic where I will put some common problem faced by us and their possible solutions. You can also share your problems here, and I or someone else can resolve it. :D

PROBLEM #1: SOME LEVELS IN RTW GIVE "COULDN'T LOAD TEXTURE ERROR"
Description: This happens to most of us; some of the RTW levels give "Couldn't Load Texture" error, even if the texture exists. Like this:

Cause: This is actually a bug in RTW which I have named as no-power-of-two-texture bug. It happens when the size of specified texture (its height and width) is not a power of two. For some reason, older versions of Blitz3D (the one in which RTW is compiled) doesn't supports loading those textures from modern graphic cards.

Solution: Resize the specified texture to a power of two (e.g 128x128, 256x256 etc) and that should fix the problem.

PROBLEM #2: POTZ AND POTZ EDITOR GIVE SEVERE LAG
Description: In some computers, POTZ and POTZ editor give severe lag. This can also happen with other Wonderland Games. The graphics card is capable and there is plenty of RAM but this still happens.

Cause: This problem usually occurs if there is any software or malware consuming your system resources. It can also happen due to some antivirus software like BitDefender and Mcafree clashing with the games. It may also happen using Wine in Linux.

Possible Solutions: Cleaning up your computer and scanning via a good anti-virus is my first recommendation. If that doesn't fix your problem, try to uninstall your anti-virus and check. If you use BitDefender, you should definitely uninstall it as two users on the forum have already faced problems with it. If it happens using Wine in Linux, try to use it in Windows in a virtual machine.

PROBLEM #3: WONDERLAND GAMES GIVE "COULDN'T LOAD <SOMETHING>" ERROR
Description: Self explanatory.

Cause: Happens when a game resource is missing. It may also happen if the game is just unable to access its resources due to anti-virus or something.

Possible Solutions: Try to reinstall the game. If that doesn't fixes your problem, try to install the game in another location where it has permission to read and write files. If it also doesn't work, you can try uninstalling your anti-virus software. If you use Mcafree, you should uninstall it as it is known to cause this type of problems.

PROBLEM #4: TEXT IN SECRET WORLDS SCATTERED AROUND
Description: Some users (mostly with NVIDIA graphics cards) have faced an issue of text been scattered all around the screen, like this:

Cause: Currently unknown.

Possible Solution: Users have reported that it resolved itself after sometime. Perhaps, you should also wait. If it still happens, try reinstalling Windows.

PROBLEM #5: NO KEYBOARD CONTROL IN WA GAMES
Description: It happens to some people that the keyboard doesn't works in WA games even if "Mouse/Keyboard" is set in options. And moreover, nothing happens on clicking "Mouse/Keyboard" in options.

Cause: This problem occurs if your game option file 'global.wdf' is corrupted. It happens.

Solution: Solution is to remove the 'global.wdf' file and it will reset your options. However, problem occurs with the location of this file, which is different in all the games. In WA1, it should be in its root directory. In WA Editor, you can find that file in UserData folder of your WA Editor directory. However, in MOFI and POTZ, it is a bit difficult to find this file. Firstly, open your MOFI/POTZ folder. Now you have to search for a file named 'localsaveon.txt' (Don't confuse it with 'localsaveoff.txt'). If you found that file, then the 'global.wdf' should be in GameData folder in your MOFI/POTZ directory. But, if you are unable to find that file and instead see 'localsaveoff.txt' then you will have to go to C:\Users\<CURRENT_USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Midnight Synergy\WA <MOFI/POTZ> folder and delete 'global.wdf' from there.

PROBLEM #6: BLACK SCREEN DURING STARTING AND ENDING OF WONDERLAND GAMES
Description: It happens to some people from Windows 10 April 2018 update that there are timed black screens at the start of the games as well as the end of the games. I meant that when you start the game in fullscreen, there is a black screen for sometime and after that the game shows up and works well as it works before. But when you exit the game, same black screen appears and after sometime the game window is closed as at always does. This starts happening from the April 2018 update (version 1803) from Windows 10, in previous versions it worked without these black screens. Also, it not only happens with the Wonderland games but with all the games created with Blitz3D.

Cause: This is NOT the problem of your monitor since it didn't happen in the previous build of Windows 10. It is due to a feature introduced in Windows 10 April 2018 update known as Focus Assist. This feature is by default enabled for fullscreen games (I think, it is not confirmed). It stops the notifications and alerts from the Windows and third party apps and lets you play your games without any disturbance. It seems that Blitz3D temporarily freezes during changing to and back from fullscreen due to Focus Assist being enabled and disabled during these times and you encounter a black screen.

Solution: Simple! Simply go to Windows Settings (click on motor icon in Start Menu or just type 'settings' without the quotes in search bar and press enter), click on System and then on Focus Assist and then turn it off for games.

PROBLEM #7: WA GAMES GIVE "UNABLE TO SET GRAPHICS MODE" ERROR
Description: It happens to some people having latest computers (probably from Intel's 6th generation). They face these unusual error screens when launching the WA games.

Cause: Somehow it seems to be the problem with DirectX versions. Still it's unknown.

Solution: Use dgVoodoo2. Here are the steps to use it:
1) Go to this site - http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html
2) Download the dgVoodoo v2.55.4 version and use 7-zip or any other zip utility or compressed zipped folder to extract it in your computer.
3) After extracting dgVoodoo v2.55.4, go to its folder, then in 3Dfx folder and in x64 (QEmu) if you have 64bit Windows 7,8 and 10 of course and copy Glide.dll, Glide2x.dll, Glide3x.dll.
4) After that, go in WA Games folders and paste those three dll files (actually paste them in the files where the launcher of those games is).
5) After go back to dgVoodoo2 folder and afterwards to MS folder and copy DDraw.dll, D3DImm.dll, D3D8.dll.
6) And finally, go in WA Games folders again and paste those three dll files too again (paste them in the same file where the launcher of those games is too).
7) And ta-da, WA games will gonna work.
(Thanks to Sofoulini for these steps)

That's it for now. :stinkyhappy:
Aryan
Last edited by Aryan on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Re: Wonderland Games - Troubleshooting

Post by cloudrac3r » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:42 am

PROBLEM #2: POTZ AND POTZ EDITOR GIVE SEVERE LAG
If you're running the games through Wine, try a virtual machine instead.

In reference to problem #4:
Users have reported that it resolved itself after sometime.
Specifically, it resolved itself after reinstalling Windows.
Still lurking as of 2019-01-16.
RTW level archive.
Find me on Discord as Cadence#3263.
Do not capitalise the first letter of my name.
Aryan
Rainbow Seeker

Re: Wonderland Games - Troubleshooting (IMAGE HEAVY)

Post by Aryan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm

I have updated the post with solutions to two problems - timed black screens and "Unable to set graphics mode" error in WA games.
Visit this topic for more info on "Unable to set graphics mode" error in WA games - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27759

To Patrick - Would pinning this topic be appropriate since it will actually help the people?

Currently the problem that needs to be solved is lag in 1809 in POTZ and WA3E. Here is the topic - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27770