Error Messages Department...

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Error Messages Department...

Post by Robbie » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:43 am

This is one for the Admin/Programming department.

I don't know that anyone else would have had this problem yet as most people (including our original WL level designers) sensibly stick to a reasonable size level.

The level I'm working on (was working on) at the moment is about 75 x 93 & due to expand as I finish off the last couple of areas. Just recently during playtesting though after restarting, and error message came up saying

--------
ERROR
--------
Couldn't load Texture: graphics\sandbreak3.jpg, Flag 1
Press Esc to exit

which then brings up a little blue box saying 'Memory access violation'
It came up after some routine modifications & after reloading the program, kept coming up.

I've tried restarting the computer, reloading the program, renaming the level, changing the Style (which avoids the error message but still brings up the Memory Access Violation) :?: :?: :?: :shock:

I mentioned in a previous post that in my Adventure Land prototype level (which I'd like to resurrect sometime), it was sitting on about 80 by 70 or so & I had trees & mushrooms doing full continual rotations along the y axis.

:idea: While there is a technical limit of 100 x 100, does a larger level pose stability problems for the game or is there another issue? Would you like me to send a copy of the level in progress if that is any help?

Thanks
Robbie :D (yes, can still manage one of these despite the :x )
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:34 pm

Yes, there are other limitations - the engine will only keep track of 100 types of each kind of object (which also counts cannons and break-away tiles). So if you e.g. have more than 100 Pillars (which counts Trees and Mushrooms), the logic routines will not keep track of the remainder which leaves them to do whatever they want. :)

The 100x100 size is really quite extreme, you'll notice that most "official" levels are 14x14 to maybe 35x35. It's there as an option, but then you have to limit other things to keep frame rates reasonable on older computers. I would suggest breaking your level into smaller parts (maybe you can get a clue in one level that helps solve a puzzle in another level, if you want them connected).
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:16 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Admin.

And yes, I was also aware of the frame-rate issue. When I copied over to my laptop (which is a P3 600 with 8MB Graphics compared to my main computer P4 2G with 32MB graphics) I noticed a difference.

So what is everyone running? Just to give me an idea?

Robbie :D

Now I just have to go & count all those little things... :x

Maybe a future version could automatically keep track of how many of each has been used?

Oh, & could I have 95 more signs :D

Robbie
DiscGolfer
Rainbow Wizard

Post by DiscGolfer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:57 pm

I'm getting that 'memory access violation" on my home PC even with very simple levels.
HP
Celeron
ME
783MHz
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I just uplaoded a level on LinkyNStoofs "Wacky Visual" thread.
I was just wondering if it's possible to create a level, get that "access" error, but still be able to upload the level sight unseen.

Can you tell I'm a bored school teacher home on a snow day? :lol:
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:38 pm

Not quite sure what your question is... yes you can upload a *.lev file that doesn't work on your computer, but why? :?

The Wacky Visual level mixes together some models, which some video cards might not like... but if you're getting any type of error the first thing to always try is to update your DirectX at www.microsoft.com/directx and update your video card drivers.

Or re-download that level, it might have been a corrupt download.
DiscGolfer
Rainbow Wizard

Post by DiscGolfer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:03 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:yes you can upload a *.lev file that doesn't work on your computer, but why? :?
\

Patrick,
I just wanted to see if I could upload it, and then play'see it if I downloaded it.

I am a complete idiot when it comes to computers. :cry:

I thought even if I couldn't play/see the level, others might be able to. It's just something to look at. :?

I am updating DirectX, and will see if that helps.

Man, I'd hate to have to go to work today- just so I can create some levels :lol:
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:05 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:The Wacky Visual level mixes together some models, which some video cards might not like...
Hmm...that's interesting, because the level worked fine with my video card apparently. Sorry to anyone who has experienced problems with that level. :oops:

Can you try to elaborate on the kind of mixes that could lead to such problems? Or at least which specific part of Wacky Visual is the problem?
DiscGolfer
Rainbow Wizard

Post by DiscGolfer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:48 pm

The problem was with a level I uploaded. I have removed it and replaced it with one that works. I put it under your Wacky Level. Sorry for the confusion.
I'm getting ready to put up another "Visual" :D