WA1: "Adventures done Adventurously" project topic

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Oh, the Vault. Yeah, I don't think we want that.

Glitchless is a rare speedrun category. SDA doesn't even have it, for example. The main tradition, except for very severe game-specific bugs, is "if it's in the code, it's in the code".

Cheatless has an easy definition, glitchless is tougher.

As for double indigo shard: normally, Wysp is waiting for you to get both the blue and red shards, so having him do it earlier is probably a bug.
Mushroom Keys:
Double Lock
Talk to Dizzy
Good Flower, Bad Flower
Pop Springs
Turtle Race
Pop and Blink
Helping Friends
Firing Squad
I know it's an annoying level, but if you're talking to Dizzy anyway, you might as well play "Out of Sight" by talking to him several times. It's an annoying memorisation level, but I think it's going to be much shorter than, say, Helping Friends or Firing Squad.

Also, the solution page states that if you just talk to Patooters (maybe more than once?) he'll give you the key freely and you don't need to do anything specific to get it. So that's also one level down, I think.

EDIT: This is a wild and stupid idea that probably (99%) doesn't work, but if it does it's worth doing: what happens if in "Swamped", you lure the scritter on the gold star location before pressing the rainbow button, can you pass through the star later on? Or if you lure a scritter on the rainbow button, do you have enough time to run across and then get through before the gold star shows up? If one of these tricks is possible, you can sneak the key outside the level and then get another one, getting two keys from one level.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Forgot to mention in my last post that if you press the Esc. key while the winning animation is going on when you win an adventure, it skips the animation all together and you can get back to playing on the Hub faster.

I don't know if someone already pointed it out, but yeah.
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:16 pm

When it comes to whether glitchless should count or not, I don't think it's a bad idea, even if the category's uncommon. Having said that, Ctrl+B is really a cheat code, unless you're (for some reason) still using an older version of WA1. I don't think cheat categories should exist.

On another note, for Out of Sight - Yeah, it'd be possible and probably a bit faster if you've got the layout memorized, but I don't, so... :P
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I know that this is (probably) pretty much useless for a speedrun, but while I can understand two indigo shards... how can you do two blue shards? I've heard about that, but I don't think it can be ninja-ed the same way as indigo, so... how do you DO that? :?

EDIT: Ah, I forgot about the transition from "The Blue Shard" to "Thwart the Thwarts". That transition is probably the point where you ninja-steal the shard, right?
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can cut off Gaboonga if you're fast enough after clearing The Blue Shard.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:06 pm

It's pretty sad that Foggy Mountains are not only very long, but also requires a ridiculous amount of stars for the stargates to open.

I thought at first that you could ninja the indigo shard, skip the sewers and mushrooms and get two blue shards (skipping two areas instead of one) but even if Foggy Mountains weren't so long, a stargate that requires 33 stars to open (considering that you END the red shard area with 26 stars in your route, and that goes down to 25 if you use Patooters) puts an end to that. :( So yeah, it really is useless for speedruns.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:49 am

Just some general thoughts regarding more adventure tricks...

Fire & Ice: White Magic can be used to kill the Fire Flower and skip the adventure incredibly quickly.

Turtle Race: I don't think it's possible to Q-Spell a way to skip most of this adventure, but it might be possible...?

The Turtle and the Stinker: White Magic can be used to blow up the TNT barrels, which would make the level much faster.

Round and Round: It might be a little bit faster, I'm not sure, but if you're very quick, you can place a Brr pad two tiles above the ice curve that takes you to the purple button, so that you can redirect the turtle in that area and completely skip the upper-left area. Not sure how to describe this any better.

Swamped: I'm not sure what Scritter manipulation might do regarding the button (It does nothing about the star), but it's a huge pain to do this. I don't think it's worth it at all, honestly.

The Chase Is On: White Magic to kill the Chompers, I think it'd save a few seconds.

The Green Shard: White Magic can be used to deactivate at least the left generator, but it's a very precise shot. Considering you have to go all the way around to get Blink anyways, I'm not sure it's worth it.

The Pyramid: someone please find skips for this level it's painful

Thwart Power Cubes: White Magic can be used to destroy Cuboids, should save quite a bit of time.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:56 am

Qloof234 wrote:Turtle Race: I don't think it's possible to Q-Spell a way to skip most of this adventure, but it might be possible...?
It's surprising how little Q-Spell speeds up this adventure.
Qloof234 wrote:The Chase Is On: White Magic to kill the Chompers, I think it'd save a few seconds.
I actually don't think this would save time (or maybe it's my computer).
Qloof234 wrote:The Green Shard: White Magic can be used to deactivate at least the left generator, but it's a very precise shot. Considering you have to go all the way around to get Blink anyways, I'm not sure it's worth it.
It isn't worth it.
Qloof234 wrote:Thwart Power Cubes: White Magic can be used to destroy Cuboids, should save quite a bit of time.
Yes for A, C, and D. But I doubt it would save time on B. It would be kind of awkward to shoot at the power cubes while not getting shot yourself, and you only need to let the Fireflowers shoot three times without Star magic.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:11 am

For Chase Is On, I'm just about certain it would save time - You wouldn't have to bother with the transporters or anything, just load quickly and blast the Chompers if they get too close.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:43 am

Just put everything into action (which is to say, the route I used plus the adventure-related tricks).

1:16:33, and there were some dumb mistakes in there (mostly because a stupid Fireflower sniped me through a wall and I started trying to rush the level, which wasn't working).

EDIT: Oh, I did actually get a recording done this time. Rendering it, then going to upload it and add annotations about tricks used and such.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:53 am

AN ACTUAL VIDEO? YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!
Qloof234 wrote:For Chase Is On, I'm just about certain it would save time - You wouldn't have to bother with the transporters or anything, just load quickly and blast the Chompers if they get too close.
By a few easy yellow/rainbow presses you can simply destroy the bottom transporter with a barrel. I'm absolutely sure white magic-ing the chompers takes longer in a 100% run, but in an any% run, I think white magic is faster.

Round and Round: the fastest way is to freeze 4 water tiles, recharge, slide, slidemagic all 4 water tiles, go down, freeze two tiles and redirect the turtle on the purple button. The way you describe, though, is only a tiny bit slower and much more sane. (Now, if this were a 100% run, my way would've been A LOT faster because it also allows you to get the coins, all in one go without brr recharging.)

The Pyramid: I don't think there are any unless someone finds something extremely weird. That scritter portion is so painful and so LINEAR. :(

Thwart Power Cubes: Back when I was still using a computer that was capable of recording watchable WA footage, I did speedruns for all four. No white magic, of course, because my rules were "save/load only for whole-game runs". The shortest one is actually D, but only if done perfectly the first time. And yes, B is awkward to beat with white magic, except for the last few cubes. It's also doable in two fireflower shots, if you know how. I think it's marginally faster to just get white magic instead of waiting for the second shot. Watch the video and you'll see.

TPC A in 0:29
TPC B in 0:20
TPC C in 0:40
TPC D in 0:10
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:09 am

Actually, here are all my recorded runs (other than the TPC levels) on adventures that you're actually playing. Unfortunately, most of my recorded runs were on levels you skip, so they are of no help in an any% whole-game run.

Frostbite Cave in 0:42 (but be sure to use the quick-brr-turn trick as much as possible to cancel the recovery animation, I didn't think of it at the time. If you're going to get the coins, this route is perfect, but you can get 0:41 with cancelling the recovery animation constantly)
Freshwater Reservoir in 0:29 (this one needs a re-route, because you don't need the gems, so that "edgeblink" at the start is probably not required for you, the reroute is simple, though)
Introducing Wysp! in 0:24 (perfect)
Double Lock in 0:15 (I highly doubt you found this route on your own, it's really weird, but not hard to do. Also perfect.)
The Purple Shard in 0:15 (you already know this skip, but for completeness sake)

I'm not bothering to link to a video for "The Red Shard" and "The Rainbow Pool" because those are throwaway levels. :lol:
a stupid Fireflower sniped me through a wall
Wait, so you can Q-angle shots from a fireflower that tracks your position?.... I... my mind is blown. There are probably no cases where it's actually USEFUL, but oh my... that's kind of epic, actually.
Swamped: I'm not sure what Scritter manipulation might do regarding the button (It does nothing about the star), but it's a huge pain to do this. I don't think it's worth it at all, honestly.
I was thinking of squeezing past the gold star (before it appears) to grab the moss key when it appears. Then you could exit the level and get the moss key again when it appears. So now you would have two keys from one level, allowing you to skip one other level. I'm almost certain this is completely impossible to perform quickly enough, though, so I was hoping for some scritter/star collision glitch.

I even thought about positioning the scritter in the room, then scaring it while standing on the moss key location yourself, but the button is just one step too far away for that to happen. Once the scritter is two tiles away from you, it just sits there and does nothing, not reaching the button. :(

EDIT: Finally had a chance to check. Yes, it's impossible, just as I thought.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:45 am

Muzozavr wrote:AN ACTUAL VIDEO? YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!
Don't get too excited, I'm not very good at this. :P (For the record, all my comments in this post are in referral to an any% run, unless otherwise stated)
Muzozavr wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:For Chase Is On, I'm just about certain it would save time - You wouldn't have to bother with the transporters or anything, just load quickly and blast the Chompers if they get too close.
By a few easy yellow/rainbow presses you can simply destroy the bottom transporter with a barrel. I'm absolutely sure white magic-ing the chompers takes longer in a 100% run, but in an any% run, I think white magic is faster.
After trying out White Magic, the difference really is negligible if you do the level fast anyways (which, y'know, is kinda the point, but still). It's a tiny bit faster, but I don't think it saves any real important amount of time.
Muzozavr wrote:Round and Round: the fastest way is to freeze 4 water tiles, recharge, slide, slidemagic all 4 water tiles, go down, freeze two tiles and redirect the turtle on the purple button. The way you describe, though, is only a tiny bit slower and much more sane. (Now, if this were a 100% run, my way would've been A LOT faster because it also allows you to get the coins, all in one go without brr recharging.)
I've used that tactic before as well, actually. It's definitely useful for 100%, but it's not really worth the trouble for any%, all things considered.
Muzozavr wrote:The Pyramid: I don't think there are any unless someone finds something extremely weird. That scritter portion is so painful and so LINEAR. :(
Yeah, I don't expect it to happen. Would be nice, though... Honestly, I wouldn't even mind the Scritter part that much if it weren't for the fact that it's pitch-black.
Muzozavr wrote:Thwart Power Cubes: Back when I was still using a computer that was capable of recording watchable WA footage, I did speedruns for all four. No white magic, of course, because my rules were "save/load only for whole-game runs". The shortest one is actually D, but only if done perfectly the first time. And yes, B is awkward to beat with white magic, except for the last few cubes. It's also doable in two fireflower shots, if you know how. I think it's marginally faster to just get white magic instead of waiting for the second shot.
You're way better at this than I am, seriously. :P On a somewhat related note, something I found slightly surprising - D is actually slightly faster using White Magic, by about two seconds. With perfect aim (i.e. not me), you could cut off more than that.
Muzozavr wrote:
a stupid Fireflower sniped me through a wall
Wait, so you can Q-angle shots from a fireflower that tracks your position?.... I... my mind is blown. There are probably no cases where it's actually USEFUL, but oh my... that's kind of epic, actually.
Well, I'm not sure, actually. I'd wager yes, because a Fireflower's fireball works the same as a magic spellball, more or less. The difference is that Fireflowers (and I think anything that shoots, so long as it's not the player? I'm not sure) can fire through one-tile thick walls with Wall-Blinking inactive. :| :P

When I upload the video, check around 34:50 in it - that's when it happens. It's a good thing I had my microphone off, because I was quite angry and surprised at the time. :lol:
Muzozavr wrote:
I was thinking of squeezing past the gold star (before it appears) to grab the moss key when it appears. Then you could exit the level and get the moss key again when it appears. So now you would have two keys from one level, allowing you to skip one other level. I'm almost certain this is completely impossible to perform quickly enough, though, so I was hoping for some scritter/star collision glitch.
There is actually a collision bug, but it doesn't really do anything besides look funny - if the Scritter's on the same tile as the Star when it activates, it doesn't collide with the key either. :lol:
Muzozavr wrote:I even thought about positioning the scritter in the room, then scaring it while standing on the moss key location yourself, but the button is just one step too far away for that to happen. Once the scritter is two tiles away from you, it just sits there and does nothing, not reaching the button. :(
In my case, I couldn't even manage to get the Scritter into position to be "pushed" onto the button - The damn thing kept hiding in the corners! :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 am

In my case, I couldn't even manage to get the Scritter into position to be "pushed" onto the button - The damn thing kept hiding in the corners!
With a few save/loads I got it just for the sake of testing and it's not possible, the star appears WAY too early, even if you somehow manage to dash across the fire, it's there before you're halfway up to that point.
The difference is that Fireflowers (and I think anything that shoots, so long as it's not the player? I'm not sure) can fire through one-tile thick walls with Wall-Blinking inactive.
That's... unfair. :? :lol:
You're way better at this than I am, seriously.
I suck at scritter control and wee stinker control. I honestly don't even mind the darkness in "The Pyramid" all that much (just set your monitor really bright if you need to) but the fact that you need to control four scritters perfectly just wrecks any attempts to do it fast. It'd be awesome if I could get more than one scritter in one go, but I can't.

And I'd probably try to do a whole-game run (eventually) if I still had a computer on which I could record proper WA footage. :? :(
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Wonderland Adventures Any% Speedrun Route

Post by billy bob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Wonderland Adventures Any% Speedrun Route

The route that is shown in this post is outdated. See the video in this playlist for the current fastest route and world record.

Notes:
- Make sure to have the keyboard enabled as well as the mouse in the options menu before starting the game.
- Always use Esc to skip the title screens for adventures (unlike the other
buttons Esc can be used immediately as soon as the title screen has loaded).
- Always press Esc immediately after completing an adventure
unless specifically asked to wait a moment beforehand.
- If you immediately press Esc after completing an adventure then
you will not have access to the inventory when returning to the
hub. If you were asked to wait a moment before pressing Esc after
completing an adventure and you didn't then if there is an arrow/adventure
star nearby then move onto it then return/abort, or if there isn't
an arrow/adventure star nearby then save then reload that save.
- Sometimes if you pause the game just before entering a new area
or starting an adventure then when you resume then the screen will
stay blank. If this happens then in the pause menu if you can select
"Abort Adventure". If you can't do that then save your game then reload it.

Timing starts when you click Start New Game.
Timing ends when you collect the star at the end of The Purple Shard.

On the main menu select "Start New Game".

Move down to the next area while answering the dialogue boxes.

Press the green button then move through the green open gate.
Move down through the path then talk to Pootsy then skip through the dialogue boxes.
Follow Pootsy through to the next area.

Follow Pootsy through the path then press the button.
Move across the bridges (overtake Pootsy here).
Press the next button then press the button in the middle of the pool.
Press the button then move up and press the higher button.
Follow Pootsy to the next area (one can overtake him to the arrow space).

As soon as you enter the area move southeast one space then northeast three spaces.
Move right then northwest to the arrow space.

As soon as you enter the area move northwest then northeast to overtake Pootsy.
Collect the blue key then use it on the blue gate.
Press the bridge button then move across the bridges to the left.
Press the other bridge button then move up across the bridges then talk to Pootsy.
Skip through Pootsy's dialogue boxes then move onto the adventure star.

Stinker Rescue

Talk to Pootsy then press the red button.
Guide the Wee Stinkers to the exit.
Talk to Pootsy again then walk over the two bridges to the top left.
Wake up the three Wee Stinkers then press the yellow button.
Move over to the right then once as you've collected the third gem set
the Wee Stinker to your left to the space left of the lower blue gate.
Move across the bridges then wake up the sleeping Wee Stinker.
Press the light blue button then walk up to the Wee Stinker that you
commanded and disrupt his movement so that he just follows you.
Move down to the Wee Stinker exit and wait.

Talk to Pootsy again then skip through the dialogue boxes.
Move onto the adventure star.

Stinker Rescue, Part 2

Fly through the spring path, and at the one part when
you have a choice choose the spring to the right.
Move onto the space left of the yellow button then talk to Pootsy.
Once as the gate is open get sprung by the next spring.
Press the red button then wake up the Wee Stinker above.
Command the Wee Stinker onto the green button.
Once as the green gate is open wake up the three
Wee Stinkers and press the light blue button.
Move to the Wee Stinker on the green button to make him follow you.
Move onto the spring path to the right.
As soon as you have landed move down three spaces.
Command all the Wee Stinkers starting from the
ones closest to you onto the Wee Stinker exit.

Talk to Pootsy again then move to where the Wee Stinkers are.
Talk to Pootsy again then follow the Wee Stinkers, if you move immediately southeast
when possible then you can overtake a Wee Stinker, and make very sure not to follow
the Wee Stinkers too closely after that, otherwise you'll drown a Wee Stinker!
Skip through the dialogue box then move up to the next area.

Move onto the adventure star to the right.

Passage of Fire

For the first set of flames quite simply just move across when they aren't active.
For the second set of flames wait for them to alternate two times.
Once as the middle flame has deactivated move across.
Move right across the first bridge, then wait a moment
for the next bridge to come up then walk across it.
On this set of flames wait for the lone middle bridge on the set of bridges to the
right to come up then immediately hold down the right arrow key until you reach the final flame.
Wait for the final flame to deactivate then collect the star.

Press the bridge button below then move onto the adventure star above.

Frostbite Cave

Move up to the the next area.
Move straight up across the ice.
Move onto the ice path to the right then press the purple button.
Move back across the ice and press the blue button.
Move back through the path of ice to the
right then move up the path above to the star.
Wait a moment before mashing Esc otherwise you won't
be able to access your inventory in the next area.

Collect the blue key then use it on the blue gate then press the bridge button.
Move across the bridges to the left then collect the orange shard.
Press the final bridge button then cross the bridges to the red arrow below.

Press the bridge button then move across the bridges then talk to Jedlic.
Skip through the dialogue boxes then move onto the adventure star.

Scritter Control

Move up onto the red arrow pointing left.
Move onto the space above the door then it will open.
Move through the doorway below then just move
straight down then right to the orange button.
Scare the Scritter above into the cage.
Move back down and scare the Scritters to the left into the cages.
Move through the orange open gate then move onto the red arrow.
As soon as you enter the area move southwest, then down two spaces.
Scare the Scritter to the right onto the orange button.
Once as the Scritter is on the button move straight up
then right as to not scare the Scritter off the button.
Press the light blue button.
Scare the Scritter on the orange button into the cage.
Scare the final Scritter up into the cage.

Skip through the dialogue box then wait for Jedlic to return.
Don't talk to Jedlic again, the key will fall automatically. Collect it.
Use the red key on the red gate below then move through the open red gate.
Move onto the red arrow to proceed to the next area.

Talk to the Stinker with the purple hat and no glasses.
Skip through the dialogue boxes then move across the path to the right.
Talk to the Stinker with the green cap then use the transporter below.
Use the transporter to the right then the transporter southeast.
Step off and onto the transporter again then use the transporter northwest.
Move over to the right and to the next area.

Talk to Cedric-in-the-Morning then move onto the adventure star.

The Magic Gloves

Wake up the two Wee Stinkers.
Move across the bridges and press the yellow button.
Move northwest and move across the left set of bridges and left of the purple gates.
Command the Wee Stinkers onto the left and middle buttons.
Move onto the middle gate.
Move the left Wee Stinker onto the button on the right.
Once as you have moved passed the purple gates then
command a Wee Stinker onto the left purple button, then
command the other Wee Stinker onto the left purple gate.
Collect the red key then move the Wee Stinker off the purple button.
Once as the purple gate has lifted and the game over screen
has started then pause the game then select "Exit Game" then
specifically with your cursor (not Esc) select "Yes, Please"
then select "No, save my game!" then save your game.
Load the save you just made.

If you immediately move when you are back in the hub then the magic gloves will
be left on the space that you were on, so wait a moment before moving.
Talk to Cedric-in-the-Morning then skip through seven dialogue boxes.
Select the answer "Thanks, I think I've got it!" then move onto the Blink charger.
Save your game overwriting the save that you just made earlier.
Blink up and to the area on the right.

Fire and Ice

Save your game (don't overwrite the save you made earlier).
Load the save you made earlier, then load the save that you just made.
Move through the path to the right to summon the
Fireflower, then cast magic on it three times.

Move southeast to the next area.

Move right then down to the bottom of the area where the barrel is.
Save your game (don't overwrite the first save you made).
Load the first save you made, then load the save that you just made.
Move left of the barrel then cast a spellball onto a space right of it.
Move right then up across the border of the area then to the arrow on the bridge.

Move northeast to the arrow pointing up above.

Hold the up arrow key until you reach the next area above.

Move northeast then right to the next area on the right.

Move right and talk to Zoopi Lala then skip through two dialogue boxes.
Choose the reply "What kind of magic do you study?".
Skip through four dialogue boxes then choose the reply "Nothing for now, thanks!"
Skip through the final dialogue box then move onto the Pop charger to the right.
Move down two spaces then Pop the bridge button to the right.
Move onto the second rightmost bridge then cast Pop onto the transporter above.
Ride the transporter then move up to the arrow pointing up.

Turtle Power

Immediately stand six spaces above the sign then once as the Dragonturtle is
moving onto the space above you then move northwest to make it turn right.
Immediately move onto the space three spaces below the lowest yellow button.
Once as the Dragonturtle is moving onto the space
above you move northeast to make it turn up.
Move through the open yellow gate then then press the green button.
Move into the Dragonturtle's path then once as it is in the water move across it.
Stand three spaces right of the tree above then wait for the
Dragonturtles to move into the water, then collect the star.

Alternative: Firing Squad

Move onto the adventure star directly above except one space to the right.

Pop Springs

Move down and round anticlockwise then move onto the Pop charger.
Cast Pop on the second leftmost transporter.
Cast Pop on the bottom left of the transporters that are facing left.
Cast Pop on the leftmost transporter.
Recharge your gloves with Pop.
Ride on the four transporters to the red button.
Get sprung by the highest of the leftmost springs.
Use all your Pop charges to press all the unpressed bridge buttons.
Press the green button then cast Pop onto the rightmost yellow transporter.
Ride the rightmost yellow transporter then cast Pop onto the highest yellow transporter.
Ride the highest yellow transporter then collect the star.

Collect the mushroom key as soon as it has dropped.
Move onto the adventure star just northeast.

Turtle Race

Move up the path and charge your gloves with Blink.
Move to the orange button by walking and also Blinking to save time.
Move up and back round to the gates - the quickest way to do this is to move onto the
space northeast of the high wall just northwest of the orange button, then Q-Spell to
the space northeast of the higher open green gate, then Blink onto the space five spaces
below the lowest coin then Blink to the space southeast of the lowest coin.
Walk and Blink back to the beginning where the gates are.
If the red gate is closed you can stand southeast of
it and Q-Spell to the space two spaces below the star.
Once passed the gates then collect the star.

Alternative: Pop and Blink

Move onto the adventure star to the right next to the cave.

Chomper Cave

Move up and right then onto the bridge button then off the bridge button.
Move back onto the bridge button when the
Chomper is about to move onto the bridges.
Press the bridge button again then move across the bridges above.
Move across the bridges to the left then press the blue button.
Move right back across the bridges then move across the bridges above.
Move to the right then press the green button.
Move to the right again then press the yellow button.
Move down below then press the orange button.
Move southwest to the red button then move onto the spring just above.

Alternative: Helping Friends

Move down to Racerooni and talk to him.

Lazy Leaf Race

Follow Racerooni through the course until you reach the bottom left
corner where you move right through the shortcut to the star.

Move left and through the arrow pointing down.

Travel on the transporter then move onto the bridges without pressing the button.
Move left and onto the arrow pointing left.

Move northwest to the arrow pointing up.

Use two mushroom keys on two of the mushroom gates.
Move back through to the previous area.

Move southeast to the arrow pointing right.

Move to the right then across the bridges then across the transporter.
Move right to the arrow pointing right.

Move to the adventure in the top left corner of the area.

Double Lock

Charge your gloves with Pop then Pop the two
transporters in the central vertical column, but not so that the higher transporter collides with the lower transporter.
Move onto the space three spaces above and one space right of the Pop charger.
Place your cursor on the transporter on the right side that is facing upwards.
Press the left arrow key then once as you start moving press the right mouse button then hold down the left mouse button all before you finish moving.
Immediately move upwards then cast Pop onto the yellow button and the orange button.
Move through the southwest open gates then collect the star.

As soon as it has landed collect the mushroom key.
Move down and talk to the Stinker above the flowers (Dreeny).

Good Flower, Bad Flower

Stand between the two Fireflowers then wait for the firing animation to begin,
then press the button to activate the bridges then move over the bridges.
Press all the buttons then save your game (don't overwrite the first save you made).
Reload the first save you made then reload the save that you just made
then use the spell on all the remaining Fireflowers in the adventure.

Talk to Dreeny again then skip through the dialogue boxes.
As soon as it has landed collect the mushroom key.
Move in the northeast direction and talk to the Stinker wearing the red cap (Dizzy).
Skip through the dialogue boxes then collect the mushroom key when it has landed.
Move right to the red gate then use the red key on it.
Move through the open red gate then above to the arrow pointing up.

Move up then northeast to the top right section of corn then talk to the Stinker there.
Skip through the dialogue boxes then once it has landed collect the purple key.

Move back down to the area below.

Hold the down arrow key to the area below.

Move southwest to the arrow pointing left.

Move left to the arrow pointing left.

Talk to the Stinker above the mushrooms in the bottom right corner (Patooters).
Skip through the dialogue boxes then talk to him again.
Skip through one dialogue box then select the reply "Mushroom Key".
Skip through the dialogue boxes then once landed collect the
mushroom key above, but make sure not to collect the blue flower.

Move up to the top of the area and onto the arrow pointing up.

Hold the up arrow key to enter the area above.

Move up the area and move onto the arrow pointing up.

Use the six remaining mushroom keys on the six remaining available mushroom gates.
Move onto the adventure star.

The Red Shard

Move onto the space below the red shard.
Start moving up one space, but pause the game before you collect the red shard.
Select "Restart Adventure".
Move onto the space below the red shard again.
Start moving up one space, but pause the game before you collect the red shard.
Move straight up and collect the red shard and star.

Talk to Wysp on the left and skip through the dialogue boxes.
Retrace back through the open mushroom gates and to the area below.

Move down then southwest to the arrow pointing down.

Hold down the down arrow key to the area below.

Move onto the arrow left of the fountain.

Move up across the open rainbow gates to Morklin's Museum.

Move up then right to Morklin's study then talk to Morklin.
Skip through the dialogue boxes then move back to the middle area.
Collect the purple key here then move back down to the arrow pointing down.

Move down then left to the area on the left.

Move northwest to the arrow pointing left.

Move southwest to the Blink charger then Blink
to the far left and onto the arrow pointing left.

Move across the transporter pointing left then as soon as visible click to talk to the Stinker on the lone island on the left.
Before you reach that Stinker open the inventory.
Once as you reach the Stinker skip through the dialogue box.
You are now able to move around with the inventory open.
Move onto the space above the purple gate below.
Use the second purple key that you collected then move onto the arrow below.

Move down then press the blue button.
Hold down the right arrow key to travel across transporter and to the next area.

Use the first purple key that you collected on the purple gate.
Move onto the top left adventure star.

Changing Colours

Move through the red teleport then press the blue to yellow button.
Move through the yellow teleport then move through the green teleport.
Press the green to orange button then the orange button.
Move through the orange teleport then press the orange button.
Ride the red transporter then press the indigo to purple button.
Ride the red transporter again then move through the orange teleport.
Move through the purple teleport then collect the star.

Move onto the top right adventure star.

One Way Tickets

Charge your gloves with Pop then move through the green teleport.
Pop the second lowest transporter then step onto the lowest transporter so that
the transporter you cast Pop on collides with the one that you are on and stops.
Step off and on the transporter that you are on to ride back again.
Pop the right of the higher two transporters then move northeast
onto the transporter so that the transporter that you are on
collides with the transporter that you cast Pop on and stops.
Pop the transporter on the far right.
Pop the transporter southeast of you then move onto the transporter
northwest of you so that the transporter that you are on
collides with the transporter that you cast Pop on and stops.
Move northwest two spaces onto the transporter then press the green button.
Move back across the last three transporters then Pop the other nearest transporter.
Pop that transporter again then ride the transporter that you just used so
that you collide with the transporter that you just cast Pop upon and stop.
Move southeast then once as it has stopped moving move left then right.
Press the yellow button then move through the green teleport.
Move through the blue teleport then press the purple button.
Move onto the space in between the diamond buttons then cast Pop onto the blue button.
Move through the blue teleport then collect the star.

Alternative: Picking Colours

Alternative: Underground Aqueduct

Move across the rainbow bridges below then move onto the adventure star to the right.

The Rainbow Pool

Move onto the diamond rainbow button then move across the rainbow bridges.
Move onto the square rainbow button then skip through text box then collect the star.

In your inventory click on the red shard three times.
Repeat the pattern to travel to Forest's End.

Move onto the arrow northeast.

Move right then through the path above then onto the arrow.

Move up to the top of the area and onto the arrow pointing up.

Move northwest onto the adventure star.

The Turtle and the Stinker

Press the button then move through the green open gate.
Move onto the red to yellow button then press the yellow button.
Reload the first save you made.
Load the save that you just made then cast a spell on the TNT Barrels left of the
yellow gate that you just opened then chase the Scritter onto the purple button.
Walk up and round to the space two spaces left of the star in the top right corner.
Cast a spell on a space below the second leftmost TNT Barrel then walk to the star.

Alternative: Button Me Down

Collect the key once as it has landed.
Choose the path above.

Choose the path to the left.

Move onto the adventure star just southwest of the center.

Alternative: River Crossings

Round and Round

Charge your gloves with Brr then Brr the four water spaces below.
Recharge your gloves with Brr then slide down the path, but once as
the second lowest Brr pad has disappeared quickly cast Brr back onto
it before you slide left (if you are not comfortable with your consistency
with this trick you can save just before it and reload it if you fail).
Move down and cast Brr onto the two water spaces left of the purple button.
Slide across the Brr pads that you just made and press the purple button.
Create another two Brr pads onto the two spaces that you just made Brr pads.
Slide back across the left then cast Brr onto the space two spaces below the lowest coin.
Move onto the space two spaces left and one space below that Brr pad.
Wait for the Dragonturtle to collide with you then slide across the ice path.
Slide across the ice path yourself and cast Brr onto the two water spaces above.
Hold down the up arrow key to slide up across the Brr pads and collect the star above.

Wait for the key to land then collect it.
Choose the path below.

Move onto the adventure star in the middle of the area.

Within a Deep, Dark Forest

Immediately move left then northwest until you are below the red key.
Reload the first save you made.
Load the save that you just made then cast spells on the two Chompers southeast of you.
Collect the red key above then move back down.
Move through the path to the left and cast a spell on the Chomper that you encounter.
Move southwest and through the yellow teleport.
Move through the path to the right then use the red key on the red gate.
Move through the red open gate and collect the star.

Choose the path to the right.

Instantly move left to choose the path to the left.

Move onto the adventure star in the middle of the area.

Swamped

Move down through the open orange gate.
On the left press the buttons in order from lowest to highest.
Quickly press the red button above then move down.
Move on and off the left bridge then press the bridge button.
Move across the path of bridges then collect the yellow key.
Move across one of the bridge paths (left or down or right) then press the blue button there.
Wait on the blue teleport then when it has fully activated it will teleport you.
Move to the yellow gate in the bottom right corner of the adventure avoiding
the fire traps (you don't actually have to walk over any of the fire traps).
Use the yellow key on the yellow gate then press the rainbow button.
Move left then down then right avoiding the flames then collect the star.

Choose the path to the right.

Use the four keys on the four gates then move onto the arrow pointing up.

Move onto the arrow in the top left corner.

Move down then right then up.

Move through the path to the right then onto the red arrow.

Move onto the left adventure star.

There And Back Again

Immediately move up one space then northwest one space.
Once as the DragonTurtle has collided with you move across the transporter above.
Move northeast one space then northwest one space then up three spaces.
Move northwest two spaces then left one space
then move onto the higher red transporter.
Move onto the space below the left indigo
button without pressing the blue button.
Move northeast three spaces then northwest one space then left three spaces.
Move southwest one space then down one space then right
one space then move onto the higher purple teleporter.
Move up two spaces then northwest one space then southwest one space.
Move southeast two spaces then immediately left one space.
Immediately move down one space then down one space.
Immediately move southwest five spaces then onto the transporter below.
Immediately move down two spaces then
southwest one space then move left one space.
Immediately start moving left one space but
before you collect the item open the pause menu.
Move across the yellow transporter above then
move onto the yellow teleporter northeast.
Use the rainbow key on the rainbow gate then collect the star.

Move onto the right adventure star.

Stoppers

Move onto the available transporter then move right two spaces.
Move off and back on the transporter that you're on then press the blue button.
Move onto the left yellow transporter then collect the gem above.
Move back across the transporter then move onto the purple teleport.
Immediately move up then press the purple button yourself to leave it inactive.
Scare the Scritter onto the spring then get sprung by the spring yourself.
Scare the Scritter onto the left yellow transporter.
Move onto the right yellow transporter then move left two spaces.
Move left another space then move off and back onto the transporter.
Move onto the transporter to the right then ride
the transporter above up then collect the star.

Move onto the red arrow.

Move back through the path then move onto the arrow just northwest.

Move onto the adventure star on the left.

Twist and Slide

Press the green rotator button then press the green square button.
Once as the transporter has stopped press the green
rotator button then press the blue rotator button.
Move across the transporters to the next area.
Press the red rotator button then press the red square button.
Press the red rotator button thrice then press the yellow rotator button.
Press the red to yellow button then press the yellow square button.
Press the orange rotator button twice then press the orange square button.
Move across the pool using the transporters then press the purple button.
Move back down two spaces as to not get shot by the Thwarts.
Once as the purple transporter above has stopped hold the up arrow key to finish.

Move onto the adventure star on the right.

The Chase Is On

Move up onto the green transporter above then move onto the red button.
Reload the first save you made then load the save that you just made.
Move across the long path above to the star while casting
spellballs onto the Chompers when they get close.

Move onto the red arrow.

Move down then left then up to the red arrow.

Move down then right then across the bridges onto the adventure star.

The Green Shard

Immediately move up the path and onto the
transporter skipping through the dialogue box.
Immediately move right onto the spring.
Move down and freeze the Thwart then move over to the right.
Press the yellow button then move back across to the left.
Move across the yellow open gate and onto the Blink charger.
Blink to the right then Blink onto the space two spaces right of the
transporter in the top right corner then move northeast one space.
Blink up onto the space left of the horizontal line of walls on
the right side (it will look like water but it's actually floor).
Once as a fireball is coming in your direction move left one space.
Blink onto the floor space just left of the transporter above.
Blink onto the space seven spaces above
(it looks like water but it's actually floor).
Once as it has opened Blink onto the gate
below the star then move onto the star.

In your inventory click on the green shard three times.
Repeat the pattern to travel to the Wasteland.

Move through the arrow to the right.

Move right across the area and to the red arrow.

Move right to the arrow pointing up.

Move northeast to the arrow pointing northeast.

Move down to the arrow pointing left.

Collect the yellow key then move right to the red arrow.

Move up to the arrow pointing left.

Move southwest to the arrow pointing down.

Move left to the higher arrow pointing left.

Move up to the yellow gate and use the yellow key on it.
Move onto the adventure star above.

The Pyramid

Move through the left path to the next area.
As soon as you are in the area move up one space then right then to the gates.
Immediately move across the red open gate then stay on the higher green gate.
Wait for the gate below to close then open again.
Move straight down then left then onto the space right of the item.
Start moving left one space then before you collect the item pause the game.
Move onto the space below the lower water space above.
Use the mystery item that you picked up in your inventory.
Pause the game then select "Restart Adventure".
Immediately pause the game before the restart adventure fade out screen ends.
Load the save that you just made.
Move up to below the other water space then use the mystery item again (it will have reappeared).
Move straight up then talk to the Shadow Stinker then
skip through the dialogue until you reach the questions.
Choose the answers:
"Windmill Hills"
"OobibanDeNoobi"
"Nih"
"Indigo"
"They both love to play "Catch"."
"Lala"
"3,700,042"
Skip through the last bit of dialogue then collect the star.

Move left then down then talk to Wysp then skip through the dialogue.
Don't worry about void particles killing you in this and the next area it's impossible.
Move down to the red arrow.

Move down across the path then talk to Wysp and skip through the dialogue boxes.
Move down to the next area.

Move right and charge your gloves with Blink.
Blink to the top left adventure.

Thwart Power Cubes A

Load the first save you made.
Load the save you just made then cast spells on all the power cubes.

Blink to the top right adventure.

Thwart Power Cubes B

Move onto the Blink charger then Blink onto the space two
spaces above and one space left of the red power cube.
Wait for the Fireflowers to begin their shooting animation
then Blink onto the space above the yellow power cube.
Blink onto the space above the blue power cube.
Wait for the Fireflowers to begin their shooting animation
then Blink onto the space two spaces to your left.

Blink to the bottom left adventure.

Thwart Power Cubes C

Brr onto the space below then slide across the Brr pad then waste all your Brr charges.
Load the first save you made.
Load the save you just made then cast spells on all the power cubes.

Blink to the bottom right adventure.

Thwart Power Cubes D

Once as the Spikeyball is moving in the left direction then
move onto one of the top left buttons then move off the button.
Once as the Spikeyball is moving northeast
then move back onto one of the top left buttons.
Once as the Spikeyball is moving up then
move onto one of the bottom right buttons.

Blink to the open fire gates then move to the right.
Blink onto the island on the right then move onto the adventure star.

The Purple Shard

Move right across the path and onto the Blink charger.
Blink to the space left of the white gate then Blink down three spaces.
Blink onto the space two spaces right of the rightmost fire gate.
Blink further to the right then collect the purple shard
and the star to finish the adventure and the game.
Last edited by billy bob on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:30 pm

Oh, cool!

... except I noticed this in "The Chase Is On":
Press the yellow button here then instantly press the rainbow button.
AFAIK, it's the other way around.

Otherwise.... nice, nice, nice. There's even coin managament in this guide.

I'll really need to just start a new game and try the whole route myself to better understand the situation and think of better ideas.

In Thwart B, isn't it faster to waste most of your blink charges very quickly before the final two blinks, then save, get white magic and blow up the last two cubes yourself? That's going to be really tricky, though.

In Thwart D, check if the white magic is really faster or if it's just the in-game timer getting confused by all the save/load shenanigans.

Also, I just got a 100% run of Stinker Rescue in 1:02, three seconds faster than before. And because the stinkers like to get caught on terrain, an any% run ignoring the four gems doesn't seem to be much faster, if at all. (same 1:02, but less perfect execution) :lol:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:41 pm

jdl wrote:Forgot to mention in my last post that if you press the Esc. key while the winning animation is going on when you win an adventure, it skips the animation all together and you can get back to playing on the Hub faster.
Yes, but be careful because if you mash Esc immediately after completing an adventure then there is a strange glitch where you won't be able to access your inventory. Usually this doesn't matter, but on these adventures make sure to wait a moment before mashing Esc because you will need your inventory:
Frostbite Cave
Scritter Control
Water Works
Teleportation
The Rainbow Pool
The Green Shard
Muzozavr wrote:I noticed this in "The Chase Is On":
billy bob wrote:Press the yellow button here then instantly press the rainbow button.
AFAIK, it's the other way around.
Fixed.
Last edited by billy bob on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:54 pm

So here's the speedrun video I made. It's pretty bad, I apologize.

Not done with captions yet, but yeah.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 pm

Finally got a chance to watch the whole thing.

As a route video, this is great and shows all the currently known tricks. There are a few very questionable adventure choices ("Firing Squad" instead of memorizing "Out of Sight"?? The amount of deaths on "Firing Squad" alone should convince you to think again) and the coin management seems to be a bit weird in places, I think it's possible to do better at coin management, but as a route video, this is extremely awesome and instructive. Plus, you gotta love that super-unfair "through the wall" death, that was hilarious. :lol:

I also didn't know there was another way at the bottom for "Lazy Leaf Race"... I always played the race differently, resulting in slower time.

As a speedrun...

Man, oh man. I shouldn't be criticizing the very first speedrun of this game ever this harshly, especially since I never did one at all... (and I promise to do one whenever I get the means to record it) but still.

You clearly did not take this as seriously as SDA speedrunners take their speedruns. The missed diagonal moves at the very start of the run prove it. Do you know what all the great Sonic 2 speedrunners do in a single-segment run if they don't get at least 0:20 on Emerald Hill 1? They reset the game. This attitude was not seen here.

Parts of the run were great ("Chasm Chase" is a particularly treacherous level that you do quite well, and I'll take note on your awesome handling of "Lost in the Sewers" and a few others) while other parts were cringeworthy. I know this is a preliminary run, so I can forgive the mistakes (but some of them were huge, how many times can you die on "Firing Squad" alone?) but some levels display painful lack of knowledge which strikes me as odd. You clearly didn't know what you were doing on "Seven Locks", am I correct?

If you know you have trouble with a trick, save before doing so. You are a bit forgetful with this. Seeing you die in "River Crossings" and reloading halfway in "The Turtle and the Stinker" almost made me giggle.

Some tricks are to be learned precisely if you want to use them. You wasted way more time by messing up on your first few attempts to avoid Wysp's cutscene. This is also a note for myself, should I ever attempt to do this. It seems like this trick is harder than it looks.

However, my first speedrun would've probably been even worse. I can show great results in single levels, but I'm not always consistent, so I would've needed many more tries to get a decent result. Then again, when a legendary Sonic speedrunner doesn't get at least 0:20 in Emerald Hill 1, they reset the game...

Anyway, I cannot say enough of a "thank you" for the sheer momentum and inspiration that you're providing. This thing laid dormant for so long and now you've resurrected it and everything is awesome once more. Don't take my criticism too close to your heart, I'm just too used to watching speedruns on SDA and its marathons. (And TASVideos as well, actually, but that's an unfair comparison :lol: )
Last edited by Muzozavr on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:36 pm

wow, meanie Image

I was just doing this to show off the route. I'm pretty casual about speedrunning in general - It's cool to watch, but I don't have the kind of patience as people from SDA. Despite the video title, this was really just done to show how the route works.

As for River Crossing, the reason I didn't save is because during practice, I pulled off that one damn trick literally every time. I can pull off the timing literally every single time, including the L-corner skip you mentioned on Round and Round, but apparently not when recording. :roll:

On Firing Squad, the only reason I died so much is because I was angry and trying to get it over with as quickly as possible, safety be damned. When I don't get sniped through walls and say "screw this", I can beat it much faster than Out of Sight, memorization included. Also, no, I didn't have a set route for Seven Locks, just that it's still faster than Stinkers in the Dark or whatever it was called.
Muzozavr wrote:Don't take my criticism too close to your heart, I'm just too used to watching speedruns on SDA and its marathons. (And TASVideos as well, actually, but that's an unfair comparison :lol: )
I'll try not to, but that was still unnecessary. :(
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:45 pm

I was planning to write it in a somewhat kinder way, but due to outside circumstances I had to hurry up. I often write a first draft of criticism, go "no, wait, that's too mean" and change things. The second phase of my typical writing process got cut short. :lol:

Just know that if I ever do the same thing, I'd probably mess up even more, at least at first.
I was just doing this to show off the route. I'm pretty casual about speedrunning in general - It's cool to watch, but I don't have the kind of patience as people from SDA. Despite the video title, this was really just done to show how the route works.
Oh...

Then I retract all of my criticism, because it shows off the route very well. If this is intended to be a "casual speedrun" and that's it, my apologies. That means I misunderstood you and my long post was unwarranted.

Your run reminds me of my Sonic casual individual level runs, only my Sonic runs were much worse. They were horrible. And to think I was trying to become a competitor on TSC. I greatly underestimated the amount of insanity it takes just to master Sonic's physics engine, not to mention the glitches. Finding the Tails zip on Sandopolis 1 is, to this day, the only worthy contribution I ever made to TSC and that was by accident. :lol: I eventually stopped trying to take it seriously, because it just wasn't working out. My casual runs sucked, but they were fun to do. :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:56 pm

Muzozavr wrote:I was planning to write it in a somewhat kinder way, but due to outside circumstances I had to hurry up. I often write a first draft of criticism, go "no, wait, that's too mean" and change things. The second phase of my typical writing process got cut short. :lol:
Ahh, I see. It's cool, don't worry.
Muzozavr wrote:
Oh...

Then I retract all of my criticism, because it shows off the route very well. If this is intended to be a "casual speedrun" and that's it, my apologies. That means I misunderstood you and my long post was unwarranted.
Nah, it's alright. I've retitled the video to clarify that it's meant to show off the route more than anything else. :)
Muzozavr wrote:Your run reminds me of my Sonic casual individual level runs, only my Sonic runs were much worse. They were horrible. And to think I was trying to become a competitor on TSC. I greatly underestimated the amount of insanity it takes just to master Sonic's physics engine, not to mention the glitches. Finding the Tails zip on Sandopolis 1 is, to this day, the only worthy contribution I ever made to TSC and that was by accident. :lol: I eventually stopped trying to take it seriously, because it just wasn't working out. My casual runs sucked, but they were fun to do. :lol:
Sorta off-topic, but man, the Mega Drive Sonic games... There's no way I'd have the patience to master the physics to begin with, let alone for speedrunning. Doesn't make them any less satisfying, though 8)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:09 am

I can beat it much faster than Out of Sight, memorization included.
(just noticed this)
Oh wow, really? I'll need to rethink this, then. I thought Out of Sight was shorter than Firing Squad, but perhaps I should test this out more thoroughly.
Sorta off-topic, but man, the Mega Drive Sonic games... There's no way I'd have the patience to master the physics to begin with, let alone for speedrunning.
Like Green Hill act 1. If you're TSC material, 0:25 is apparently supposed to be "dead simple". :roll: I had to work so hard to get 0:28 and I've never matched that result, ever.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:32 am

Muzozavr wrote:
I can beat it much faster than Out of Sight, memorization included.
(just noticed this)
Oh wow, really? I'll need to rethink this, then. I thought Out of Sight was shorter than Firing Squad, but perhaps I should test this out more thoroughly.
Probably should've clarified, sorry - When I say memorization, I just mean the locations of the buttons, not a route through them. "Much faster" is probably an exaggeration, for that matter.

On another note, I've created a WA1 topic on SDA's casual speedrunning section for now, because why not. 8) I do have an account there, I've been meaning to get into speedrunning a bit more lately.
Last edited by Qloof234 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43 am

After taking another look, I'm not so sure "Firing Squad" is faster. :? You use white magic on it, which means save/load. But that means resetting the timer so it takes less seconds in-game, but it could actually take more real time.

(Try to save near a star in an adventure, then load a hub save, then reload the other save and get the star, you'll finish the adventure in 1 second. Maybe even 0.)

I'm also starting to think about the white magic use in Thwart D.

Yeah, WA1 on the "casual" SDA section might be a good idea, if there's anyone else on the forum who played this. :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:45 am

I'm pretty sure Firing Squad can be done faster, I'll double-check. Not by much, but still... Might be my imagination due to load time shenanigans.

As for the SDA forum, yeah, it's up. The site homepage just redirects to the SGDQ page.

EDIT: Even if there aren't any people there who've played it, it's some extra publicity! :P :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:39 am

DP

Just something of interest. Went to check The Pyramid, as I had a theory involving killing the Spikeyballs and just letting the Scritters do their thing.

Turns out, interestingly enough, each metal button corresponds to a unique bridge. There are 8 different metal bridges, as opposed to the usual 5. The data values go from 555 to 562!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:43 pm

Turns out, interestingly enough, each metal button corresponds to a unique bridge.
Grrrrrrr. :evil:

Interesting, but that means no skips are possible. Everything is required, which is sad, for it's a painful section.

Also, reading the new annotations: you can only get Patooters' key after talking to Dreeny? Really? Hmmm... maybe the fastest route involves just finishing an extra level while you're there and ignoring Patooters entirely, which is what you tried to do and the "Firing Squad" catastrophe is the fireflower's fault.

Maybe ignoring Patooters is actually faster. Maybe. I don't even know anymore.

And wait, how do you squeeze four keys out of "Out of Sight"? That annotation is a bit confusing. I think you mean the room in its entirety, but the wording is a bit strange. Anyway, I'm watching the rest of the added annotations right now. 8)
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Uh, guys, you do know that Out of Sight doesn't give you a mushroom key don't you??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also updated the guide with a few strategies from your video Qloof234. :D
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 pm

billy bob wrote:Uh, guys, you do know that Out of Sight doesn't give you a mushroom key don't you??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also updated the guide with a few strategies from your video Qloof234. :D
The solution page states it does and I clearly remember it so... :? It doesn't give you a key by itself, but if you talk to Dizzy again, he'll give you another key... I think.