Classic VS Custom

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Classic VS Custom

Post by ol'gramma » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:56 pm

Under the Bowling level post in the Deluxe Forum, Popo asked me a question that related to a comment I made on Majic's Bowling level.

I thought it best to move it over here so as not to detract from comments on her level.

Hi Popo,
I am probably going to start a long thread, but here goes...

Yes, it is fun to have a selection of things to make a level attractive and the play more realistic.
But as you say, the puzzle is pretty much the same, and I started to find that all the different 'stuff', and all the different colors of floor tile, had become clutter in a level..to me.
The houses are very attractive, but I do not like them in a puzzle, they take up too much room, making a puzzle too big, and can be a real pain to move around in when searching for things.
The extra steps to play the levels, unzipping, etc, aren't worth the time and effort to me, just to see the custom models for the above reason.

Now making the custom models, I think, would be most creative, especially on the computer, and a lot of fun...but so time consumming.
I am going to try that this winter.

I still prefer the classic type puzzle, with a few trees, but none that hide the play, I just don't play those.
Gee I am fussy, aren't I?

ol'gramma
Carolyn
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:09 pm

I am coming to your house, downloading ALL the custom models and houses and levels onto your computer. You will like them. I will make you like them whether you like it or not. :shock: I'm more stubborn than you are. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So there :!: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Majicaleetarina
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Ramonda » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:33 pm

I think this will be a fun discussion with pros and cons from different people.

I am like you if the puzzle is covered over almost completely by objects that the game winds up being a maze. I don't like complete mazes and will generally not play them. I do like partial mazes though and from my view that is what most of the creators of the Deluxe levels do create.

I am a latent artist and visually stimulated. One of the reasons I bought these games besides the fun puzzles is because it varied graphically. I have about a half dozen very good logic puzzle games and they are all the same visually. Great puzzles but this one feeds both sides of my brain.

So I guess I would have to say that I like the additional models and floor colors of the Deluxe because of their variety. I never enjoyed either cave or spooky settings in the past because they lacked the visual stimulation that I get from the other colors. I always changed them in the editor. Now because of the different floor tiles and the lamps and fires, those are brightened up tremendously. I no longer change them.

Many of the creators of the Deluxe levels are very gifted artistically whether they use models or just design with the various additions that are given in the Deluxe. So even if there were no models I would enjoy the Deluxe more. The models are great fun to me. If I wasn't so pressed for my time, I would be creating models, custom houses and maybe even a few levels so that I could use them and others. I enjoy reading the model forum because there is so much creative stimulation there.

There are quite a few creators who do mostly classic levels so all of us will be pleased. You made some very good ones that I have saved and will replay. I gladly play the classics when they are created but I do perk up with a bit more anticipation when I see those zip files :)
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:01 pm

Ramonda wrote:I do perk up with a bit more anticipation when I see those zip files
Yep that's me too. In fact Id rather look at the models than play the games. And I love massive levels with lots of space and easy puzzles. I can't play the ones that require fast timing, my arthritis won't let me, so I prefer to meander slowly through the grass and round the houses, and linger thoughtfully over the brain teasers.

I do, on the other hand, like very plain levels with no arty-farty bits if there is a good puzzle in them.

majic1 wrote:I am coming to your house, downloading ALL the custom models and houses and levels onto your computer. You will like them. I will make you like them whether you like it or not. I'm more stubborn than you are.

So there
You have a taste for hospital food then :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pauline
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:15 pm

I love the new Deluxe version of Wonderland, just the look alone is great! And I really like the custom models and houses; it's fun playing a level with these in them and fun creating them also. However, there are times when I just don't "feel" like downloading & unzipping the custom stuff because it's just a hassle at the time. So I'll wait til later to download an advanced level sometimes. Anyway, for that reason, I understand why people would just prefer to simply download a level & play and avoid the advanced levels, just because it's a bother!
Majicaleetarina
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:17 pm

popo wrote:
majic1 wrote:I am coming to your house, downloading ALL the custom models and houses and levels onto your computer. You will like them. I will make you like them whether you like it or not. I'm more stubborn than you are.

So there
You have a taste for hospital food then :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Majicaleetarina
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Ramonda » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:06 pm

majic1 wrote:I love the new Deluxe version of Wonderland, just the look alone is great! And I really like the custom models and houses; it's fun playing a level with these in them and fun creating them also. However, there are times when I just don't "feel" like downloading & unzipping the custom stuff because it's just a hassle at the time. So I'll wait til later to download an advanced level sometimes. Anyway, for that reason, I understand why people would just prefer to simply download a level & play and avoid the advanced levels, just because it's a bother!
I think anybody can play most of the advanced as classic if they just download the game and not the zips? The game might not make as much sense in a few cases, mostly those with the fake floors. Otherwise the game is there with regular houses or pillars instead of models. I accidentally experienced that myself.

I played both of your bowling levels but haven't finished it yet. The floor is really cool and I would keep it over the classic.

Popo wrote:
You have a taste for hospital food then Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
Very funny addition :)
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:06 pm

Yes the green baize floor makes all the difference to the pool table. It's a shame we can't customize the boulders cos I've got some pool ball skins and that would have looked really good.

I wonder if Patrick could make that possible....mmmmm!
Pauline
Carolyn
Rainbow Master

Post by Carolyn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:34 pm

I like the custom models and houses on levels... I agree tho, its sometimes to much trouble to down load the zip files and unzip them... I do like majic and download them later.... :lol: :lol: ... I admire all those that make the custom models and houses... I think that's great!... And I love seeing them used in a level... :D
carolyn
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:39 pm

popo wrote:It's a shame we can't customize the boulders cos I've got some pool ball skins and that would have looked really good.

I wonder if Patrick could make that possible....mmmmm!
I thought of that, too! Wouldn't that have been REALLY cool! It would've been fun to make the boulders look like bowling balls, too! Patrick's going to kill us. We always want MORE, MORE, MORE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Majicaleetarina
timothy2
Silver Wonderlander

Post by timothy2 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:38 pm

I agree this is a very interesting discussion, but I'm getting confused about what's meant with the terms "classic" and "custom" in this context. And, having read the posts listed above, I do have the feeling different contributors use them in different meanings.

As far as I'm aware, there are three possible distinctions as to the levels being played:

1) standard versus custom. Standard levels are included in the game when purchased, while custom levels are created & uploaded by members on this forum. Wonderland has only standard levels, while RTW and RTWD both have standard levels and custom levels.

2) classic versus deluxe. Classic refers to Wonderland and RTW, while deluxe refers to RTWD (regardless whether they're standard or custom, although of course in the case of Wonderland they're always standard, and RTWD incorporates a lot of classic custom files from RTW too).

3) advanced versus - I'd say - regular. This distinction applies to the RTWD custom levels only. Regular levels you can play right away, advanced levels require that you first download and unzip files into your CustomHouses and/or CustomModels directories.

But this thread is called "Classic VS Custom". Now, what of the above is actually being compared with what? I guess it's advanced and "regular", but I'm not sure.

No doubt many of you'll think I'm a nit-picker, but as a linguist I do think it's a good idea to define some terms before discussing them. Might be helpful too for new members who might otherwise get even more confused by the inconsistency of terminology than I am. :?
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:17 am

timothy2 wrote:I do think it's a good idea to define some terms before discussing them. Might be helpful too for new members who might otherwise get even more confused by the inconsistency of terminology than I am. :?
I know you mean well, but as you can see by the replies, we all knew what was meant by the original post. And if we start "defining some terms before discussing them," we won't really be having spontaneous discussions anymore - which are usually the most informative!
Majicaleetarina
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Post by ol'gramma » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:19 am

It's as simple as this:

'Wonderland' does not have have an editor to allow the player to create levels.

There are 2 forums for uploading RTW levels, which does have an editor.

Classic Levels... (.lev) featuring the original RTW game

Deluxe Levels.... (.lev5) an upgrade to the original game that has some new objects/ features......
Deluxe also features the abilty to use and make custom models, which, when used in levels to be uploaded, are then defined and posted as Advanced.
That's it.

ol'gramma
Carolyn
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Ramonda » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:03 am

timothy2 wrote:
No doubt many of you'll think I'm a nit-picker, but as a linguist I do think it's a good idea to define some terms before discussing them. Might be helpful too for new members who might otherwise get even more confused by the inconsistency of terminology than I am. :?
Now that you've gotten the answer, which do you prefer?

Deluxe with custom models or classic without?
timothy2
Silver Wonderlander

Post by timothy2 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:08 am

Ramonda wrote: Now that you've gotten the answer, which do you prefer?

Deluxe with custom models or classic without?
I'd say deluxe with custom models, because it makes the game more varied and visually attractive.
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:10 pm

majic1 wrote:I love the new Deluxe version of Wonderland, just the look alone is great! And I really like the custom models and houses; it's fun playing a level with these in them and fun creating them also.
Exactly right! I cast my vote for Deluxe.
Majic1 wrote: However, there are times when I just don't "feel" like downloading & unzipping the custom stuff because it's just a hassle at the time. So I'll wait til later to download an advanced level sometimes. Anyway, for that reason, I understand why people would just prefer to simply download a level & play and avoid the advanced levels, just because it's a bother!

I don't think it's a bother. I just went back and downloaded a level with both customhouses and custommodels. From first click on the download button to starting to play the level, it took about 2 1/2 minutes. ( Thats 3 downloads, and waiting for the game to load. And my computer is not very fast!) I have a pretty busy schedule, but I can spare a few minutes to download something that I know I am going to really enjoy!
But as they say...Different Strokes for Different Folks! :wink:

jg
Davimad
Rainbow AllStar

Re: Classic VS Custom

Post by Davimad » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:46 am

ol'gramma wrote:Now making the custom models, I think, would be most creative, especially on the computer, and a lot of fun...but so time consumming.
I am going to try that this winter. ol'gramma Carolyn
Summer has been such a wash-out for most of us, never thought I'd look forward to the winter months.

NOW, I have good reason for this....... OL'GRAMMA MAKING CUSTOM MODELS!!!!!! :D

Like Ramonda, I too would be a latent artist. Ol'gramma is a professional.

I have been a fan of her work for some time now, it's so exciting the idea of this accomplished artist giving us some of her ideas.

No pressure there then, ol'gramma?????? :roll:

Make a moose. :wink:

M.A.D. :lol: