Regarding Midnight Synergy - Part 2: The Forum

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Toon Dog
Rainbow Master

Post by Toon Dog » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:16 pm

1. New forum software with potential new features
* improvement to the search engine
* post rankings
* blocking PMs (friend/foe lists)
(I'm lumping these all together, because none of the above can be implemented in the current forum setup, a restart would go hand in hand with these, if implemented... keep that in mind)

Search-Fine the way it is
Ranks-Should be removed, some people like to show off their rank
Friend/Foe PM's-Great idea

2. Removal/Reduction/Split of the Off-Topic areas

Removal-No
Reduction-Huh?
Split-Yes, with stricter rules

3. Moderator

Ok, ok ok lutz >_>
Great idea

4. Question regarding allowing multiple logins

If you're logged on to computer A, and someone tries to login on Computer B, Computer B has no access and computer A is alerted

5. Question regarding removal of post counter/ranks to reduce people just posting to get a higher count (this was brought up via pm)

Yes, then noone can brag about "I have more posts then you hahaha"

6. Question about removal of PMs (or another way to no longer allow members to only function in the background of the forum)

PM Removal-Big NO
Restriction to function in background-Yes, if user doesn't post for 1 month, delete UNLESS User is on "I'm away" mode, which you would need 100 posts minimum to activate

7. Any ways to improve the Level Posting areas?

Perfecto as-is, but you can never be too perfect

8. Did I miss any? If so, sorry - still bring them up in discussion.

I don't feel you missed anything.
Last edited by Toon Dog on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please email me \/
Lutz
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Lutz » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Toon Dog wrote:3. Moderator

Two Moderators for each forum, would be great
That avoids some one spamming Off-topic while the mod is patrolling General Wonderland Talk
What??? Please don't turn Wonderland into a surveillance society. We have enough of that in real life. One or maximum two moderators (if any at all) would be sufficient for the whole board.
If someone is posting spam you can't expect that the post is deleted a second after it's been made. :roll:
janellesnip
Rainbow Wonderlander

Re: Regarding Midnight Synergy - Part 2: The Forum

Post by janellesnip » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Hello Patrick,
To reply to your new suggestions and to reiterate a few old points:

1. New forum software with potential new features
* improvement to the search engine

Yes, please. (Search for posts by poster; search for poster alphabetically; search not simply for unanswered posts, but for unanswered questions -- that is "view unanswered posts" and "view posts since your last login" could be changed to and "view posts since you last login (sorted by category)".)
* post rankings
Possible but not necessary. It can be used as a weapon for someone to rank his/her enemies poorly. The system of bronze/gold/silver wonderlander, etc. already exists and could be improved, in the sense that this ranking be based not only on the number of posts, but more on helpfulness, content, relevance.
* blocking PMs (friend/foe lists)
Please do not remove the option of PMs entirely.
But if you mean, allowing each individual to block PMs of another individual, whom they find annoying, then that is OK. I have not had any PM problems to date.

3. Moderators
One or two moderators for the entire list is a good idea.

4. Question regarding allowing multiple logins
I am against multiple logins, even for moderators.

5. Question regarding removal of post counter/ranks to reduce people just posting to get a higher count (this was brought up via pm)
I am for the removal of ranking based solely on number of posts. Rather than ranking someone, a simple statistic can be shown as to how long he/she has been on the forum and how many posts the person has. (For example, if someone has been on the forum for a month and has posted a thousand times, it is different from someon who has been on the forum for four years and posted a thousand times.)
If ranking IS to exist, it should be based (as others have already mentioned) on the helpfulness of his/her posts and the quality of his/her levels.

6. Question about removal of PMs (or another way to no longer allow members to only function in the background of the forum)

Please do not.

As far as posting levels, I would love to have more categories for them, controlled by the moderator. For example, hex-edited levels should go in a separate file from the others, because they crash the programme on some people's computers.
Levels that consist of (a) walking a straight line to the exit; (b) collecting a huge field of bonus coins with no puzzle and no enemies; (c) involve waiting a long time in order to get more points (for example, with coilies coming out of a warp-gate directly onto a field of spikes), without any puzzle component -- that is, if all there is to the level is to walk to the exit when you feel you have all the points you want; (d) a puzzle component that can only be played ten minutes after the level has been opened, because the coilies have to eliminate themselves first; (e) have the stinker shot before the lights come on; (f) have no solution at all -- should be deleted or sent back to the creator for improvement BEFORE being offered to the general public.
Levels that demonstrate something without having a solution (such as a level I once played called "push test"), can be kept, OR the creator can receive a message asking him/her to incorporate that element into an actual level.
A recommendation to post a solution to a particularly complicated level may be sent by moderators, but should not be required. It need not be written by the creator.
Also, please do not start a new system and begin with zero posts -- way too much work has gone into the forum by now. In order to reduce crap, the moderators can read archives and remove feud-related correspondence.

Yours,
Janelle

PS And... If I had the option to receive notification about questions about level solutions directly to my e-mail, I would opt for it.
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:48 am

Hi Patrick!! Yes, I'm still here. :lol:

ok....I used to be very active on the forum:posting levels, chatting, asking for help, etc.
NOW, I almost always check in every morning to see if I have any PMs (the only way I keep in touch with several people), and to see if there are any new levels from my fav makers to download.

I'm not as active as I used to be for 2 main reasons: My life outside of Wonderland has just been very time-consuming.....and I'm mostly a shy little donkey and it was simple to keep up with all when there were about 50 of us.

I think this is a wonderful forum, compared to others I have run across.
I would hate to see the old posts go......I scan back thru for help with old levels as well as new ones, and the PMs are much easier to use to say hello or ask for help, instead of trying to figure which catagory to post in, plus posts get bumped so easy because of the volume of players (um, which is a good thing) :wink:

Monitering the forum??? It don't bother me one way or the other, whatever you feel is needed. I have noticed a lot of "silly stuff" but just ignore it.

Ok, that's my 2 cents. Thanks again for a great game and a great first 5 years!!
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
and I am Polly, Minnie's little sister.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:53 pm

(just a quick note from me... I haven't forgotten to post my list of suggestions, but I'm still deep into WA MOFI - expect a post from me on this topic sometime in (probably mid-) November.)
wonderland01
Rainbow Master

Post by wonderland01 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey
I'm a social member who makes levels for other people to play and enjoy. I'm not what you call quiet. With a few exceptions, I like the forum the way this is. The off topic section should stay, just as long as there is no silly stuff. The forum shouldn't change. It's been this way for five years, why should it change now.

Please keep it the way it is Patrick.
:stinkywink:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:54 pm

About moderators, I think we need a few of them right now, to remove some posts and to ban a certain "Tolorailk" :shock: :roll:
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:58 pm

I agree Marinus!

This we can't tolerate, that's for sure!! :twisted: :twisted:
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Makes us all realize how much we really need a moderator, someone that's around during the day so that stuff can all be removed. Shame on the spammer. God doesn't like ugly and neither do we.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:28 am

I think several moderators are necessary, spread over different time zones to ensure there's always one on hand in case of situations like this one. :shock:
Pauline
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:04 pm

I think 2 or 3 moderators would be great, as well (again, I will be posting more thoughts later).

Sidenote: Some people had asked me why the very obvious pie_or_cake username has not been deleted yet, given that this was clearly tyteen. I did not want to make that decision until I had some clear evidence that it was indeed him. I now have that evidence, and the account has been closed (and future accounts will be easier/faster to catch and close). Also, while pie_or_cake's posting patterns started out fairly innocently, quantity and quality was quickly accelerating toward his old self.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:and the account has been closed (and future accounts will be easier/faster to catch and close)
You mean, forever?

Actually I feel a bit sad about it. You all know that Tyteen and I are not close friends. You also know that I'm also the first one to kick his butt when he's acting annoying. A few weeks ago, when he was using three different accounts here in this topic, he was almost asking to be banned.

But I try to see things at a positive way. Everyone can learn and change, especially when he is 12 or 13 years old. I got the idea the last few days, at least he's making allowance for other people's opinions now.

Beside that, it's well known that some Wonderlanders are a bit different then most people. There may be people here who are autistic or have whatever "disorder" or "syndrome". For those people it may be hard to know, how to behave and communicate with other people. You may know that I'm autistic as well. I don't know how I would've been acting if I was here on the forum when I was 12. Maybe the same way as Tyteen. I'm still a little bit strange. 8)

So I think, everyone has the right to change. Everyone deserves a second chance. For some people it may be good to give them a big warning now and then, a serious talking, maybe even to be banned for a couple of weeks, but forever? I don't know. :?
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:51 am

Marinus, I couldn't agree with you more. People do have the right to be given a "second" chance" as yes I do believe it's possible for people to change. BUT, Tyteen has blatantly disregarded ALL rules (numerous times) showing no respect for us, MS, or the rules MS has implemented. His continuous "sneaking" back on the board under different names is a prime example of this lack of respect he obviously has for anyone or anything.

If Patrick were to allow him to stay on the board, what would be the point of having any rules at all, we could all behave in any manner we wished.
I'm of the belief that rules are made for reasons, if you break them, there are consequences to be paid for that poor behaviour.

Since this thread has (at times) been a "very heated argument" At this point IF Patrick were to allow Tyteen to stay, I'd lose all respect for him as a Board Administrator & this forum would be headed to it's doom (my opinion)

It's been nice coming here lately things have been quiet, old members have been returning giving us more levels to bang our heads on the keyboard with, and, we all are anxiously awaiting the release of the new WA: MOFI

I'm looking forward to the changes Patrick has in mind to ensure we all get the opportunity to enjoy a fun & peaceful place to chat & play. I'm hoping it will bring even more old members back & attract some new friends.

Thanks for letting me share :D
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:36 am

For some reason, this just popped into my head:
Electric word, "ban", it means 4ever, and that's a mighty long time.

But seriously, while I was not happy to ban tyteen, it doesn't make sense to allow him to simply re-register the next day with a different name (and then "lie" to everyone about this fact). I do think he has some maturing to do, and maybe he'll be ready to join the group again in the (more distant) future. But for now, and the forseeable future, he is not welcome on the board.
woofgang
Silver Wonderlander

Post by woofgang » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:01 pm

Most of my time is spent in the puzzle action level section. I look forward to all the levels that the creators spend their time making. I do download from Mette's site once a month for 2 reasons. She is organized and I like to get a bunch of levels at one time and put them in one folder. Also, if I downloaded them myself from this site, I'm afraid I might miss a few levels. I also depend on the search engine as I love playing the older levels that have been made and sometimes I need to search to see how to complete the level. Sometimes I have trouble with the search engine, but then I can usually find what I am looking for. I have never gone to the off topic section, so I have no comment on that. I enjoy this board, but mainly use it for the levels that people are kind enough, and creative enough to make.

----------------
EDIT: FINAL COMMENT BY MIDNIGHT SYNERGY
Since I'm about to start implementing some changes (and posting a new thread to that effect) I'm going to lock this discussion at this point.