WA1: "Adventures done Adventurously" project topic

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Video: Wonderland Adventures Any% 48:37

Not a bad time considering how bad my saving/loading times still is. :(

I think this is the fastest route, which gets two blue shards. :wink:

We've come a long way with the route since a few months ago. :)
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Haven't watched yours yet, but watching Q's speedruns, how are you supposed to do the Chomper Cave (or whatever it's called) and The Pyramid without the lamp?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:27 pm

garirry wrote:Haven't watched yours yet, but watching Q's speedruns, how are you supposed to do the Chomper Cave (or whatever it's called) and The Pyramid without the lamp?
Up the brightness on your monitor and squint hard. Chomper Cave is pretty easy, even without the lamp, you just need to know what you're doing. The Pyramid, on the other hand, is painful.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Nah, the Pyramid honestly isn't that bad if you have the brightness up enough. You just need to remember to hit the teleporter button first, and pay close attention to where the Spikeyballs are.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:49 am

Just uploaded a bunch of single adventure speedruns.
Blazeknight wrote:Blue shard ... 0:12
How'd you do that? The best I can get is 0:17.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:24 am

Interesting. It seems like not only you are a better player, but your computer somehow gives you an advantage. Either that, or you're doing something interesting. In my case, there's no way to finish "The Red Shard" in less than 3 seconds, for instance. :?

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I got it. Starting from Floing blocks the level for a bit longer with the title screen. But starting from its in-game location like you do, apparently allows you to skip it immediately and save a bunch of time. Interesting.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:51 am

I thought it was suspicious how I was beating your records by one second almost every time.

I know what you're doing wrong. You need to press Esc on the adventure title screen as soon as it comes up, then it'll go immediately.
So you need to redo all your records now. Sorry.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:42 pm

billy bob wrote:I thought it was suspicious how I was beating your records by one second almost every time.

I know what you're doing wrong. You need to press Esc on the adventure title screen as soon as it comes up, then it'll go immediately.
So you need to redo all your records now. Sorry.
Which is what I'm doing. I'm mashing ESC from the first moment and it still doesn't go away immediately.

Or do you mean "start mashing BEFORE the title screen appears"?

Or do you mean "wait until the exact moment and hit Esc"?

And try it with Floing, also. I have a suspicion that it might work differently from the in-game location and from Floing.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Don't mash Esc. You may notice that if you mash Esc on the adventure title screen and don't stop mashing Esc then you will never get to play the adventure. This only happens with Esc, which means that Esc is coded slightly differently than the other buttons on adventure title screens - does this work for you?

I press Esc once, just after the screen has zoomed in and before the letters and logo for the adventure title has appeared. Looking at your videos, I would guess that you're pressing an alternate button (mouse click, enter, space bar), but as this isn't the case I truly do not know why the adventure title screen isn't passing quickly for you.

Also note that in WA1 and WA2 if you accidentally press Esc one frame early before the adventure title screen activates then the game will pause then if you resume the game then you will be stuck on a blank screen. Abort the adventure if it is an option, or save your game then reload it. But don't wait around on the blank screen, otherwise you will receive a MAV.

I noticed no difference when Floinging back in time to play an adventure.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Oh wow.

Since this was a long time ago, maybe I was using the mouse click. I seriously didn't know there would be differences.

Anyway, still proud my routes for some of these made it in your videos. Finding the route for "Double Lock" was probably more interesting than executing it.

I had a worse route for "Seven Locks", though. :lol:
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:43 am

Also, just gonna mention this quick.

I noticed that when you try to mash the "Enter" button to skip the dialogs, it seems to not work if you're pressing an arrow key. (or maybe even other buttons) Also, what's the easiest way to set shortcuts to the WASD keys to act as arrow keys, because it is painful to use them constantly?
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:09 am

Video: Wonderland Adventures Any% 47:18

Anyone got any rational explanations for what happened at 27:23 and 27:47? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:22 am

I don't have any idea what 27:23 is about, but I've noticed somewhat similar (as in, only vaguely) things like what happened at 27:47.

I don't know why it happens, or what causes it, or anything, but sometimes I've noticed that clicking random areas - not walkable areas, but around the HUD and such - near the top of the screen would make me start moving south, as if I'd clicked a valid destination tile.

My guess would be that the bottom of the screen is looping to the top a bit, but that doesn't explain how you can click near the gloves icon and end up warping just straight down instead of diagonally.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:31 pm

The glitch allows you to cast a spellball down nine spaces. Watch this explanatory video.

Could it be useful? Probably, somewhere...
Last edited by billy bob on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:26 am

Last edited by billy bob on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:06 pm

Your scritter control (pun intended) is exceptional.

I'm also very impressed with that final blink on the 100% Freshwater Reservoir run. I didn't even know that was possible.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Good Flower, Bad Flower Any% - 0:41

Peculiar route for this one, but it is actually the fastest by 22 seconds! I need to press the orange and yellow button before the bottom left Fireflower fires upwards, and to do that I have to go back up to kill the top two Fireflowers later, otherwise I just don't make it in time.

Underground Aqueduct - 0:28

If I could press all the buttons before the bottom Fireflower shoots then I could improve this by another second, but that's not quite possible in time. Missing one button out doesn't actually help because the bottom Fireflower and the top left/right Fireflower (depending on which button you press) both die at almost the same time (they die a few frames apart, but I'd need to improve it by about 20 frames in order to get 0:27).

Chomper Pinball Any% - 0:10

I have no idea how MS intended this adventure to be played. In terms of getting 0:10 this was actually quite difficult.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Chomper Pinball 100% involves tricksily getting the chomper to stay on that button. :wink:

And OH GOD you found *it* on Good Flower, Bad Flower. I was trying so many things but couldn't figure out that little trick you do to get in and out without shooting the top left flower first, so I couldn't make it to the orange/yellow buttons in time. I was absolutely convinced it wasn't possible, but still wasn't satisfied with doing the obvious. Nice to see there was another way.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 am

So, this will be useful for WA1 Any%.

We can collect the red shard three times from "The Red Shard" to go with our orange shard and skip both indigo shard and blue shard.

Also useful in The Pyramid, we steal the item from the left side twice skipping the right side.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:12 am

billy bob wrote:So, this will be useful for WA1 Any%.

We can collect the red shard three times from "The Red Shard" to go with our orange shard and skip both indigo shard and blue shard.

Also useful in The Pyramid, we steal the item from the left side twice skipping the right side.
This trick must be simply gold when it comes to speedrunning WA (or MOFI, I'm still waiting for that :wink: ), since you can completely skip the blue and/or indigo shard, and as you said, works in the pyramid as well. I can't imagine any more uses yet, although it would be simply marvelous if an equivalent trick was possible in the hub world.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:10 am

Wonderland Adventures Any% Route

Just timed it and I think the purple key in the corn fields is still worth it by about 14 seconds. I also find it slightly easier.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:04 am

And now I'm sad. I can't believe there isn't an in-adventure blue key to be stolen along the way with your new trick to significantly speed up "There and Back Again". I was really counting on that when I read your trick, but even in alternate levels, nothing...

There is a cyan key that can be stolen reasonably quickly in "Firing Squad", but that won't be as useful as it could be if the key were to be blue. :lol:
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Can you remind me what "There and Back again" is again? Also, I'm curious; isn't it faster to do another adventure in the Mushroom Groove rather than traveling all the way back to Wondertown and get the key from there?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:02 pm

garirry wrote:Can you remind me what "There and Back again" is again? Also, I'm curious; isn't it faster to do another adventure in the Mushroom Groove rather than traveling all the way back to Wondertown and get the key from there?
"There and Back Again" is a late-game adventure that, as far as I remember, is not optional. It's the one with a circling turtle at the bottom of the level and you have to get that turtle through various obstacles to the top where it can press the blue timer button and you can get the rainbow key behind the blue gate. THEN you can go all the way back to the top and open the rainbow gate, getting the star and winning the level.

It's a slow level with a lot of waiting and short-circuiting the whole thing would've saved quite a bit of time, but, unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Oh, THAT level. It would be useful either getting a rainbow key early to open that gate without having to wait for that turtle, or maybe getting an indigo key, but I don't recall being an indigo key anywhere in any adventure. Maybe taking a key from one of the Temple Ruins adventure would work? :roll:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:42 pm

It'd almost certainly be inefficient on time, but there is the indigo key that Morklin gives you. Not sure if that's the right subcolour, though.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Qloof234 wrote:It'd almost certainly be inefficient on time, but there is the indigo key that Morklin gives you. Not sure if that's the right subcolour, though.
Definitely inefficient, the time to talk with him, chase the Thwart, push the buttons, grab the key... It would be just faster to do that adventure completely. What I'm curious about, maybe it is faster to finish one of the Temple Ruins' adventures, maybe the one with the buttons, and use that key to skip that adventure. Again, maybe the subcolour is different.

Or we can just search for major glitches to skip half the game. :roll:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Well if it's any consolation, I've found a 10 second time saver in There And Back Again. It's a little tricky, but it doesn't require special timing just optimal movement (can only waste one move maximum) so with a bit of practice it shouldn't be a problem. :)
Basically it skips using the Dragonturtle by using a combination of getting the Scritter to press the indigo button and using the Stealing Items From Adventures glitch to get the key without being stuck on the wrong side of the indigo gate. :wink:

There And Back Again

Immediately move up one space then northwest one space.
Once as the DragonTurtle has collided with the
player move across the transporter above.
Move northeast one space then northwest one space then up three spaces.
Move northwest two spaces then left one space
then move onto the higher red transporter.
Move onto the space below the left indigo
button without pressing the blue button.
Move northeast three spaces then northwest one space then left three spaces.
Move southwest one space then down one space then right
one space then move onto the higher purple teleporter.
Move up two spaces then northwest one space then southwest one space.
Move southeast two spaces then immediately left one space.
Immediately move down one space then down one space.
Immediately move southwest five spaces then onto the transporter below.
Immediately move down two spaces then
southwest one space then move left one space.
Immediately start moving left one space but
before you collect the item open the pause menu.
Select "Restart Adventure".
Move across the yellow transporter above then
move onto the yellow teleporter northeast.
Use the rainbow key on the rainbow gate then collect the star.

garirry wrote:Maybe taking a key from one of the Temple Ruins adventure would work? :roll:
Yes it would. Whether it would save time, I think it's probably around 8 seconds slower than the new route for There And Back Again (part of the reason for this is because you have an extra inventory space used up you have to lose around 7 seconds in Forbidden Forest).
Qloof234 wrote:It'd almost certainly be inefficient on time, but there is the indigo key that Morklin gives you. Not sure if that's the right subcolour, though.
That would take longer if it were the right subcolour, but it isn't.
garirry wrote:Also, I'm curious; isn't it faster to do another adventure in the Mushroom Groove rather than traveling all the way back to Wondertown and get the key from there?
No it isn't. The remaining mushroom key adventures take about 70 seconds.
Collecting Patooters' key only takes about 30 seconds with the purple key route. This is because after we collect the purple key in the corn fields we can go back to Wondertown through the east side, which is quicker than walking down from Mushroom Grove.
If we were to not collect the purple key in the corn fields (which would be about 14 seconds slower) then not collecting Patooters' key would not be faster because you'd run out of inventory (you'd have to take a visit to Mushroom Grove then go back to Lazy Leaf Woods/east of Pop area again).
garirry wrote:Or we can just search for major glitches to skip half the game. :roll:
Been there, done that. :lol:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:25 pm

garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Wow, that was impressive! :shock: Even with the occasional hiccups, you still managed to save 10 minutes using that newly-found glitch. I also see that now, it is much quicker to do There and Back Again and The Pyramid with the glitches.

Great job! :D