Midnight Synergy Game Collection Ultimate Edition. (Is it worth it?)

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

omarogi35
Gold Wonderlander

Midnight Synergy Game Collection Ultimate Edition. (Is it worth it?)

Post by omarogi35 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:14 am

Hello. I have the regular Midnight Synergy Game Collection disc. I also have all Wonderland Adventures games. But I was just wondering if I should still get the Ultimate Edition. Like does it have anything extra that's worth it?
Last edited by omarogi35 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Re: Midnight Synergy Game Collection Ultimate Edition. (Is it worth it)

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 am

Ultimate edition includes many more things than the old one.

It includes an RTW archive of over 22,000(!) levels made till June 2018, WA Editor and WonderPlus Mod with TONS of adventures, textures, hubs etc, character illustrations, Paradise Quest and much much more and only for $34.95, so I think it is worth buying it.
Moreover, the Ultimate edition also includes an updated version of Wonderland alpha that can run on modern computers.

NOTE (as of 25-11-18)
Much of the material is already available for download. You can download archives from here: https://archive.zbots.space
For other material, you have to look into previous issues of Midnight Post.
However, it's still up to you about buying the DVD or not. If you want a better place for all these contents (and don't want to have pain in downloading the contents) and you have money you may buy the DVD.
Last edited by Lazy Loof on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously known as Aryan101
omarogi35
Gold Wonderlander

Post by omarogi35 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:24 am

Aryan101 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 am
It includes an RTW archive of over 22,000(!) levels made till June 2018, WA Editor and WonderPlus Mod with TONS of adventures, textures, hubs etc, character illustrations, Paradise Quest and much much more and only for $34.95, so I think it is worth buying it.
Moreover, the Ultimate edition also includes an updated version of Wonderland alpha that can run on modern computers.
Nice! I think I'll get it then.
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Re: Midnight Synergy Game Collection Ultimate Edition. (Is it worth it?)

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:26 am

If you compare all the new games added in the collection and add the individual price it is like you just buying the entire second trilogy...the rest is free. Numbers help the case!
I live a Wonderland adventure every day!
Manski777
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by Manski777 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:02 pm

I as well, have all the Wonderland games, but I am still probably going to buy it. It comes with other Midnight Synergy games that aren't Wonderland, and TONS of bonus content. Even if you have all Midnight Synergy games, and have played through all the community made levels, the bonus content will still keep you entertained, and the bundle works as backups as well just in case. I hope this helps! -Manski
Hi! My name is Manski!
I love Wonderland games! If you ever have questions, maybe I can answer them, feel free to PM me!
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:16 pm

If you already have both the old collection and the WA trilogy, then I'd say it's only worth getting if you're a particularly big Midnight Synergy fan or simply want to support Patrick.

Though it comes with a ton of custom content, that stuff can also be downloaded here.

As far as I can tell, the only content exclusive to this new collection is some previously unreleased artwork, bits of new information about some games, and a couple of prototypes. Only played the new WA prototypes so far. Four of them are just simple tech demos that were already shown on YouTube long ago. Getting to play them is nice, but there's ultimately not much to them. The fifth one is more interesting, but it's just a slightly expanded version of a prototype that was released long ago through the Midnight Post. Same goes for Buzz Off and Tower Climber. There is a previously unreleased prototype of Intensity XS which I haven't played yet, but that's it as far as new content is concerned.

You also don't need to buy the new collection in order to make the Wonderland prototype run on modern systems. Patrick uploaded the fixed executable here for owners of the old collection.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Isn't the soundtrack of the Original Trilogy in there as well? Or was that just the original disc...
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:47 pm

The original trilogy's soundtrack isn't a new addition either and therefore irrelevant for omarogi35.

Plus, 128 kbps MP3s aren't exactly the pinnacle of audio formats. If you have a program that supports the Impulse Tracker format, you'd probably get better sound just from playing the corresponding res#.dat files themselves.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:59 am

Aryan101 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 am
The editor archives and the WonderPlus mod are free to download.
Much of the bonus material you mention was already in the original CD.
You already own every game that's on the disc.

If you have money and want to say thanks to MS then by all means purchase the ultimate edition, but there's not a lot of new content that you'll get out of it.
john1013
Silver Wonderlander

Post by john1013 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:24 pm

does this cd support windows 10, because some of the games that I already have wont work on the windows 10?
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:49 pm

john1013 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:24 pm
does this cd support windows 10, because some of the games that I already have wont work on the windows 10?
The games on the DVD are of the current versions, which aren't updated for Windows 10. It depends on Blitz3D (compiler on which these games were created) if they'll run or not. Currently Blitz3D is open-source, so it is possible to update it.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:25 pm

john1013 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:24 pm
There are some really old games on the collection that'll require an Atari ST emulator and DOSBox. The 2D Windows games are more problematic, but this support page contains instructions on how to make them work using DXWnd. The 3D games should work fine for most people, but the support page also has some solutions for potential issues they could have.
Last edited by Kilicool64 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Friendly heads up Kilicool. That link gives a 404 error.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:15 pm

rainbowmon wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:13 pm
Friendly heads up Kilicool. That link gives a 404 error.
This is the correct link - http://www.midnightsynergy.com/links.htm
You can also view this topic if you can't see your problem listed - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27741