Classic Trilogy on a Controller / Joy2Key (Community Prefs)

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

Classic Trilogy on a Controller / Joy2Key (Community Prefs)

Post by RoberTime » Thu May 28, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm going to try jumping back to this game and starting fresh. Also because I have a new gaming laptop and don't have my save files anymore (But I still have the collection DVD!). While I download in apps for my weekend trip up north, where I have no internet whatsoever, I'll pick up Joy2Key because I remembered having not much of a 100% comfortable time playing with a keyboard.

So the idea is to use a USB controller and I would like to know if there are others within the community who have done the same Joy2Key app with said controller option?

Here is my Xbox controller J2K configuration (360 or One):

D-Pad = Arrow Keys = Move around
Start Button = Esc = Pause/Exit
A Button = Enter = Select/Switch characters
B Button = Shift = Hold with D-Pad to look around level

Really, you can do it with any USB peripheral with a D-pad (You may try it with a joystick, though I don't recommend it). I used to play with a USB-connected NES controller since it uses all but one button on it. In fact, that is what I am going to puse when I play this game again. :idea:
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Classic Trilogy on a Controller / Joy2Key (Community Prefs)

Post by rainbowmon » Thu May 28, 2020 11:34 pm

I personally use Antimicro. Or at least, I used to - first party Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers aren't recognized by it, so I switched (realizing the pun as I write this) to Steam's built-in controller support, which fixes that issue.

Also, save files aren't that hard to find for the original trilogy; I remember having to delete them manually via File Explorer in the past since trying to in-game made my puny "I *WISH* it were a gaming PC" laptop MAV. You could (if you wanted to) transfer them to your phone, an SD card, Google Drive or something and then to your new computer.
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Fri May 29, 2020 1:50 am

I also use a Switch Pro controller with Steam controller support, just like rainbowmon. My button mapping is:

Left Stick --> Move
A button --> Swap character
Left Bumper --> Look around
Start button --> Pause/Quit
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

https://www.twitch.tv/kamerson
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Fri May 29, 2020 2:05 am

Off-topic, but I *FINALLY* figured out why the signature I added ages ago never appeared...
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits