Notice: Update Your Discord Links

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Notice: Update Your Discord Links

Post by jdl » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:25 pm

I've noticed that some forum users have been using Discord's CDN as a way of hosting files and images.
According to this article, Discord plans to have links expire after 24 hours starting at some point this year.

Just thought I'd post this to let everyone know that if there's anything important posted to the forum that uses Discord's CDN, you may want to download it now before it's too late, or if you've posted these types of links, maybe consider updating them.

There's around 100 posts that contain these links. Click here to view them.

- jdl

(This thread will be unstickied in 7 days.)
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Re: Notice: Update Your Discord Links

Post by nasko222 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:00 am

im a dev for few more things and this update will destroy my life, i hope they never push it
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:16 pm

Glad I've largely left the app at this point. I'll fix the more important of my pictures. Thanks for the heads up Jacob.

-Turns out all my inclusions were quotes. I removed them anyway to de-clutter the list.
Last edited by Wonderman109 on Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:23 pm

nasko222 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:00 am
im a dev for few more things and this update will destroy my life, i hope they never push it
Always count on discord to make the worst possible choices despite the loudest minority outcry, most people are still casual users who just use it to text their friends and partners and will never care or even notice these changes that harass serious users and archivers/uploaders.

This is why I moved on to matrix.io.
jdl wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:25 pm
I've noticed that some forum users have been using Discord's CDN as a way of hosting files and images.
According to this article, Discord plans to have links expire after 24 hours starting at some point this year.

Just thought I'd post this to let everyone know that if there's anything important posted to the forum that uses Discord's CDN, you may want to download it now before it's too late, or if you've posted these types of links, maybe consider updating them.

There's around 100 posts that contain these links. Click here to view them.

- jdl

(This thread will be unstickied in 7 days.)
I hope that this change will at least convince people to begin saving things to proper storage sites like MediaFire again, and using forums more often for serious discussion.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:29 pm

"jdl said: over 90 posts use cdn discordapp"

haha haha

isnt it funny that like 70 of those posts are mine
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:55 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:23 pm
Always count on discord to make the worst possible choices despite the loudest minority outcry, most people are still casual users who just use it to text their friends and partners and will never care or even notice these changes that harass serious users and archivers/uploaders.
Their original audience (specifically gamers/friend groups, but inadverdently and importantly developers) are being neglected and kind of pushed out with these changes. Super frustrating.

Wonderman109 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:23 pm
and using forums more often for serious discussion.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:03 pm

Sammy_P wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:55 pm

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:13 am

The point you guys are missing with these gifs is that gif-posting and other non-friend-group random online socializing has become the hollow soul of modern discord. Forums had a bit of that but also allowed room for developers and clubs and so on to form. Discord is pushing this stuff out with updates like this and that's why I've moved.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:01 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:13 am
The point you guys are missing with these gifs is that gif-posting and other non-friend-group random online socializing has become the hollow soul of modern discord. Forums had a bit of that but also allowed room for developers and clubs and so on to form. Discord is pushing this stuff out with updates like this and that's why I've moved.
Thankfully my efforts were entirely long-term-friend group-adjacent. That and gifposting/sh*tposting will never get old IMO. :^)
Using Discord for this long though, I can kind of get you. I miss forums and forum culture deeply, it's a nice middle ground between chatboxes and emails.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:02 pm

I fixed up my post to use a wayback machine link, thanks for the heads up.
proper storage sites like MediaFire
A lot of the MediaFire links on this forum are dead now, so I wouldn't recommend using it. I can host files forever ad-free on my site cadence.moe, so if you've got a file you'd like me to publish for you, get in touch and I can help.
Last edited by cloudrac3r on Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:24 pm

about that
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:21 am

cloudrac3r wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:02 pm
I fixed up my post to use a wayback machine link, thanks for the heads up.
proper storage sites like MediaFire
A lot of the MediaFire links on this forum are dead now, so I wouldn't recommend using it. I can host files forever ad-free on my site cadence.moe, so if you've got a file you'd like me to publish for you, get in touch and I can help.
I appreciate the offer. The MediaFire links mainly were removed by choice or due to copyright, MF doesn't take stuff down and I had things on there for a decade before removing them.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:09 am

GUYS i think this topic is needless, discord hasnt even done anything about it its still inquestion

also there are thousand hosting places and file share places

also 80% of the discord links are mine and its content thats most probably not important xdddddd

if anyone looks for file hosting i have purchased a hosting last year for wonderarchive and the idea was u make account and you have access to beta content once u verify that you own the games, a php request pulls from the discord server and gives you temporary download link. Well i have 3 gigs of space and i can upload some stuff there if anyone needs

overall i think the main problem is the limits of pcpuzzle, maybe if ms increases the file limit to like 25 or 50 mbs, allows music ogg, and few other file extensions, the problem will be solved

this is similar to imgur taking down a whole lot of minecraft from the 2010s images and omniarchive went on a huge campain to archive as many images as they can from imgur
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:56 pm

OK, Discord pushed their very bad update...

But I found a solution all. Copy any Discord link that doesn't work, Paste it in any discord chat and BAM it's alive and works again

Of course the negative side is that you NEED to have discord.

Update: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=371700#p371700