Playing w/o Sound

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Playing w/o Sound

Post by majic1 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:34 am

My oldest son just upgraded my computer to XP. Apparently, my sound needs a new driver to work correctly w/XP. So, until I download & install the driver, I have to play Wonderland with no sound. I've read in the forum how some of you play without sound. Well, I'm doing it because I HAVE to at the moment until I download & install the new driver. I just DO NOT see how ANYbody can play Wonderland without the sound & have the same experience - I understand turning off the music, but playing Wonderland without the sound is VERY depressing to me! Don't see how you who play without sound can STAND IT!!! Part of the fun is hearing the boxes moving and monsters exploding, etc. Just a comment because I feel as if I'm going crazy & deaf (Hope it's really just the driver - maybe I'm actually getting deaf from old age!!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by majic1 on Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majicaleetarina
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:35 am

I personally also have to play with sound on, although I've known people who can do things like simultaneously playing a rental video game with sound turned off while rewatching an old favorite movie, so go figure. :roll:

Incidentally, I had an interesting level idea way back in February that would effectively force you to urgently consider turning the sound on when playing the level [edit: well okay you can always use the level editor to peek but that's sorta cheating for my level idea]. Unfortunately I felt it might be more tedious than fun, and I still haven't got enough time to get around finishing making the level yet. In light of your post however, I promise I'll get it done and release it someday, bad as the level might be. :wink:
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Post by ol'gramma » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:48 pm

Well here's the other side.
I never have the sound on. My computer is located in my area which also has a TV and I 'listen/look' while I play (multitasking :lol: ).... the game sounds scare Miss Kitty, who is always with me. If I complete a game that I can see will have some good sound effects, then I will replay it with the sound on. The games I like I play more than once.

Windows XP is very nice, I have had W95, W98, WME...XP is very user friendly for working with digital cameras.

Ol'gramma
Carolyn
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:33 pm

Yeah, I do like XP. FINALLY got my sound back. HOORAY! However, when I installed the driver, then restarted & was waiting for the start-up sound to let me know it was working okay, I didn't hear anything at first & thought OH NO! It's still not working. HAH - Suddenly this TERRIBLY LOUD lightening crack sound came blaring from my speakers - I almost fell out of my chair & I swear my hair was standing on end at that moment! :shock: SCARED THE HECK out of me! (But at that moment, I knew for sure I had my sound back.) :lol: :lol:
Majicaleetarina
Davimad
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Davimad » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:30 pm

I am one of those people who play with no sound!

The old adage "One man's meat is another one's poison" springs to mind.
What a boring old world it would be if we were all the same! :roll:

Maybe I get S&L killed off so much that I cannot bear the screams. :lol:

M.A.D.
malcdelsol
Rainbow Master

Post by malcdelsol » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:59 pm

Hi Wonderlanders,

Whenever I create a level the last 2 things that I do are:-

1. Check the time that I allow for the level to be played in (even tho I know that many Wonderlanders play with the timer off).

2. Select which of the 6 sound backdrops is most applicable to the level.

Isn't it strange then that I always play Wonderland/Custom levels with the sound OFF !!!!!

I also have XP - the webcam facilities that allow me to be in visible communication with my children and grandkids back in the UK are superb.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Malcdelsol 8)
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:47 am

Interesting to see how many people here seems to play with the sound off.

It makes sense that people would like to listen to their own music rather than the limited repetoire that came with Wonderland. But no sound effects?

Granted, some sound effects do get very annoying very quickly (the "death squeal" being on top of my list), but at least for me, I found most of the sound effects add to the game rather than taking away.

So I'm kinda curious if people here play with sound off simply because it's their personal preference, or because there's actually something about Wonderland's sounds that they don't like. I'm sure Midnight Synergy will be interested in any input pertaining the quality of sound effects, or the lack of interest in sound (which means they can for example put less thought into it for the next game).

Feel free to reply, private message, or ignore as you wish.
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:05 am

Sound effects ADD greatly to the game - EXCEPT FOR THE IRRITATING "DEATH SQUEAL." as you stated!
Majicaleetarina