New Level [ADV]: Moister Anomaly / Moistest Anomaly

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

New Level [ADV]: Moister Anomaly / Moistest Anomaly

Post by Jutomi » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:46 am

I thought of this concept a couple of nights ago, shortly after thinking about how I'd probably not be making RTW levels for a little while now that Combat Island is finished and I have explored so many weird glitches in this game. I figured the pinnacle of my weird findings would be in the Devils Playground, Brick Buster, and the Anomaly series.

Weeeeeell... about that. I did forget to test one thing in particular...

and, I have to warn you: this one gets weird. It's not exceptionally flashy like Brick Buster, but there are layers to this... and one thing in particular that feels wrong, even by glitch standards. It's...

well, I'll let you figure it out for yourself... :twisted:
(At least until my video solution comes out, to which I'll have a post explaining as much of the weirdness as I can in a spoiler.)

Edit: I have updated this level so there are now different versions - JUTOMI070A being the primer, and JUTOMI070B being the main course. Though I recommend playing both. If you want the original version with Amnon's solution, it's viewable lower in the thread.

Here are my video solutions, although please also refer to this post for an attempt at an explanation.
Moister Anomaly - The Primer Alter
Moistest Anomaly - The Perfection Paradox
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jutomi on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: New Level [ADV]: Moister Anomaly

Post by Amnon » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:06 am

Very nice, thanks!!!

P.S. I did not use the wooden box - hope it's OK...
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:21 am

Huh...

Now that is a mystery :lol:

Got a solution I could have? :P

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:51 am

Now that is a mystery :lol:

Got a solution I could have? :P
Here it is - you may like to copy it to some permanent public place: https://ln5.sync.com/dl/a7197ca10/ub56j ... 5-pd89hzkr
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:50 am

Awh man! Nothing at all like I was aiming for :lol: but hey it's still a beautiful solution...

hmmh. I'm going to have to give some serious thought to this one. Not sure there's a much better way of forcing "my" way...

but that can be a story for another day. In the meantime, this is quite a lovely solution. Probably could use an update to get rid of that box, but by doing so, I'd essentially seal this level's fate to mandate your solution... though, that would leave mine out there without the prospect of gold. I could probably tweak that too though :lol:

In fact, I actually have two things I'd like to showcase that were supposed to be done with this level, but ultimately weren't mandatory (and one could easily go by partly unnoticed, although I'm sure you'll partially see it if you attempt the obvious setup). Guess I'll have two versions of this level and potentially another to work on... after I finish my other two. :P

Many thanks for the video though Amnon; absolutely astonishing and a noteworthy solution all to itself. Many thanks :)

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:06 pm

Alrighty, Amnon. So, upon further, non-sleep-deprived (entirely) consideration, I decided that though your solution was certainly interesting...

it was hardly magical :lol: (at least not in my mind)

If you'd still like to see your original solution work (which I've uploaded HERE), I've attached the original file here - just without the box :lol:

However, since it did not capture just how weird this level could get, I decided to update the level with a slightly different configuration...

only to realize that the unusual quirk goes away with this setup :lol:

I believe I know why, and I'll explain when I release my full-on solution, but suffice to say, I've uploaded the newer version with complications lifted as a JUTOMI070A: Moister Anomaly - The Primer Alter
I've also added some extra walls to the original layout to hopefully prevent your little shenanigans... though there may be more :lol: This version is under JUTOMI070B: Moistest Anomaly - The Perfection Paradox. THIS is the one I want people to play, but I think it is important that both are done to further try and understand what exactly is going on. :?

The amount of quackery going on here is nothing short of miraculous, and there's actually a particular aspect of it I want to abuse for JUTOMI073. But that'll have to wait. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: New Level [ADV]: Moister Anomaly / Moistest Anomaly

Post by Amnon » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:42 pm

What works for me in the tutorial (70A), which I'm pretty sure is intended, does not work in the final version (70B).
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:25 pm

Yup. That, too, is intended. :)

Well. OK, maybe not on the part of MS's code. But it is sort-of the point of why 70B exists. xD

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:02 am

Yes, I made the B version with a slight variation.
It still does not explain anything...
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:52 pm

You're right, it doesn't... I'm not sure I can, either :lol: But I'll attempt to give it a try.

WARNING: I will not be spoilering this out of convenience for everyone, so do not read this unless you are stuck, have no intention of playing this yourself, or have already beaten the level.

So, how the game breaks in the Primer at least makes some sense. The control transporter (different from the actual broken ones; I think I can explain it in better detail in my next level, as my original explanation on Dry Anomaly is substantially lacking) is moved in all four directions at the same time, because you're breaking four transporters in all four directions at the same time. The net result is the control transporter itself doesn't actually move, but it does create static metatiles in all four orthagonal directions. Which is really funny. :lol:

The weird thing happens when you try to do the same thing in the second (intended) version, Moistest Anomaly. So, actually, Moister Anomaly was the intended solution - because that's how it's supposed to work. But since Moistest Anomaly's solution was the only one I had, I ended up leaning in harder on the quirkiness. My first attempt to fix your alternate solution, Amnon, resulted in my realizing that there is in fact something special about Moistest Anomaly that makes it different from Moister Anomaly. Can you find it?

The answer is that the transporters overlap - sort-of. Their paths cross, and therefore when all four stinkers are riding on their now-busted transporters, they also ride over another stinker's created static metatile.

How does this make a difference? Well, this creates something I call the Peegue Phenomenon, although I suppose Anti-Stinky Phenomenon, or Anti-Peegue Anti-Phenomenon also work. Basically - for whatever reason - the transporter also moves in one orthagonal direction. It creates 6 static metatiles around the 6 orthagonally adjacent squares of both the transporter's starting location and its new location. (It may also create one or two metatiles within that ring; I have not tested this.) This direction, peculiarly, is determined based on the last-generated stinker - whichever direction they are moving is the direction the control transporter shifts to.

It's not Peegue per se. Well, it is if you're doing all four. But if you do the same thing with two or three transporters, it also acts funny: without overlapping paths, it creates two or three metatiles as one would expect without actually moving the transporter. With overlapping paths? All hack breaks loose, not important: the important thing is that the direction does in fact change in favor of whoever the last-generated stinker was. (It also changes if you also move other transporters over metatiles by removing the stinker but not the prisms from the setup... it gets really really weird fast and may also involve the order of how boxes generate and this is a rabbit hole I am not going down today.)

So here's the part I do not understand, and this is where the glitch defies all logic, even by glitch standards. For some reason, if you move one of the stinkers - any one, doesn't matter which - either slightly before or slightly after everyone else (again, doesn't matter which)...

it works.

I. don't. know. why.

Common sense would say that if it works perfectly with a perfect setup (which it does without overlapping transporters), then it may or may nor work in an imperfect setup. That's fine. But why in the name of Patrick is it the case that in an overlapping transporter setup, a perfectly timed input creates an imperfectly timed output on the control transporter... and yet, creating an imperfectly timed input creates a perfectly timed output?

I don't care what's going on. I am perfectly content converting walls into lava so I can then terraform them into trampolines. That at least makes (some) sense. But why the heck is this paradox a thing? This does the exact opposite of what you'd expect. I have zero freaking clue. This is somehow, by far, the weirdest glitch I have ever found in Wonderland. It may not be flashy. But it's... weird.

I hope you've enjoyed :lol: My video solutions will be linked in about an hour :P

Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:49 pm

Suffice it to say that I was able to get the glitch to work based on the obvious setup, but then I got lost and didn't really understand exactly the relationship between the stinker transporters and the one up top. Transporters in general are quite buggy and interesting, though I am not all too familiar with the quirkier glitches beyond some of the common ones. This, by all accounts, is one of those quirkier ones, and an interesting find!
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:52 pm

For sure! I'll try to explain it in more detail with my next level :lol: