New Level: Basically the Basics (for a mindnumbing puzzle)

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
John925
Rainbow Master

New Level: Basically the Basics (for a mindnumbing puzzle)

Post by John925 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:58 am

Haven't posted a new level in a while. I've just been perfecting this gem. It's the hardest level of mine yet; containing all of the basics (boxes [both types], push cannons, tps, tramps, linked spheres, boulders, buttons, gates, and maybe a secret or two...)

It uses my DarkWood texture that can be found HERE

Have fun!

By the way: Here's an early tip:
Hint for the weary wrote:If something looks impossible, think of a logical alternative. There are no glitches in this level. If all hope is lost, press ENTER...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't eat your computer... or it might eat you! :stinkylol:
o_0
'-|-
"/\
This is Guy. Copy Guy into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Fri May 18, 2007 1:16 am

*Saves topic from entering the second page*
o_0
'-|-
"/\
This is Guy. Copy Guy into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Liz Mayhew
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by Liz Mayhew » Sat May 19, 2007 1:46 pm

I've devoted quite a bit of time to this one, and haven't got very far.

Three wooden boxes in the water.
Then the steel box/conveyor/TP/trampoline bit is just too confusing for me.

This is going in my TO DO folder for when I have lots of time.

Really nice texture John :D
Lizzie

To err is human,
To arr is pirate!
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Sat May 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Maybe I'll make a video spoiler...
o_0
'-|-
"/\
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Well, it's been a whole week! has anyone solved it?
o_0
'-|-
"/\
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Thu May 24, 2007 3:55 am

Anyone?
o_0
'-|-
"/\
Toon Dog
Rainbow Master

Post by Toon Dog » Thu May 24, 2007 4:25 am

Err, Vidio for me please? (Mixed Emotion->) :lol: :shock: :roll: :P :oops:
Please email me \/
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Thu May 24, 2007 4:28 pm

Well I can't do it, but that's not really a big surprise. :roll:
dlcs18
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:40 pm

OK John, really need some help on this one please, pretty please.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Me too, me too! :P
At least I know it's not just me. :wink:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Sorry, but my computer was acting up for a long time and I redid the whole thing. It will take a while, but I'll get a video up ASAP (which might actually not be so soon after all :? ).
o_0
'-|-
"/\
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:23 pm

Lets hope it's soon John, man this one's a killer!
Image Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:46 pm

I need to get RTW back first.

*Sends another PM to MS*
o_0
'-|-
"/\
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 am

Hello? Hello? Has everyone forgotten about this?

I'm kinda interested in seeing John925's intended solution, because there are some things I probably didn't do as intended, for example, letting Loof collect the bonus coins instead of doing the huge jump series, and I also have no idea if I pressed the buttons the creator has intended me to press.

However, for what it's worth, I WAS able to solve the level, and I actually used all the stuff in it. Except for the bonus coin jump series, I didn't use that, because the resulting character placement, while not making the level unwinnable, is extremely annoying to work with compared to the simpler option. (EDIT: Also the push cannons were useless, the jump series was actually intended to get into the row of fake walls right above them)

EDIT: Wait, I've had a peek in the editor: so THAT's what the jump series was for! The push cannons WERE in fact accessible! What were they for anyway?
Last edited by Muzozavr on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Alright, so here's my solution for those who may want it... I omitted several long and boring descriptions of finding your "exact" way through the room that has lots of teleporters and trampolines to make the spoiler shorter and more clear.
1. The first thing to do here is to set up a mechanism that will keep pressing the purple timer. To do that, put one box on the timer, the second one on the stationary conveyor belt. Then push the third box UP through the left blue teleporter.

2. Next, get to the right side of the second room. Try to avoid the cannon fire.

3. Once there, wait until the metal boxes make one turn, then step on the bottom left ice tile. Quickly step up on the yellow button to avoid being killed.
Immediately after that, step LEFT (pushing one box off the mechanism) then step down twice. Wait until the boxes settle down. That stops the conveyor timer from being pressed... temporarily, at least. Go back to the left side of the second room.

4. When the fire passes, enter the left yellow TP from the left, then jump RDD. You'll land in the "last" room -- right in a rainbow coin in a false wall.

5. Push the red spheres down, and wait for both of them to stop. Then push them up. That covers the blue/white buttons at the left side of this room. Now that you have done the part that requires step 3, you need to "undo" step 3.

6. Wait for the cannons to fire and use the trampoline to jump back in the second room. You've previously pushed a box OFF the mechanism to stop it... push the box ON the mechanism (via an ice tile) to start it again. Return to the "last" room via the yellow teleporter's RDD jump sequence.

7. Once there, push the yellow spheres right, and wait for them to stop. Wait for the conveyor at the top to start and stop, then push the spheres up. They land in a water patch. Now stay on the green button.

8. Switch to Loof (hidden in a wall near the green gates), press the cyan button and push the boulder DOWN through the black TP. It will land on the other green button.
Below the now-open cyan gate there's a false wall that contains the second rainbow coin. And because the conveyors keep getting turned off, you're free to go through the cyan gate, and take the two bonus coins as well.

9. Since the green button is now pressed, you can now switch to Stinky and put him on the right red button to open the red gates in Loof's area. Now switch back to Loof.

10. If you look carefully you can see a yellow square button and a false wall below it to provide access. Step on the yellow square button.

11. Once you've done that, go and push both steel boxes in the water patch, right after the yellow spheres. You can now move Loof into the "last" room.

12. Since there was a red timer under the bottom steel box, and Stinky is standing on the ROUND red button, you can now switch to Stinky and step OFF the round red button to open the red gate again.

13. All of the gates are opened, and the conveyor times is perpetually pressed by the moving steel boxes -- now the only thing you have to do is to time your entry across the conveyors.

14. You can now exit with both characters.
(Even if you account for the lengthier descriptions and the formatting (which are purely for clarity) the spoiler is still huge.)

There's a row of false walls behind the push cannons. Presumably they were meant to be used, but this solution does not require them.

The complicated mess of teleporters and trampolines in the second room is presumably to be able to jump behind the cannons. For those who're interested in how to do that, here's a sequence that (after doing step 3 to turn off the mechanism that keeps turning off the conveyor... or just timing it exactly) allows you to get behind the push cannons:
Wait for the cannons to fire and enter the left yellow TP from the left. From there, jump RDURRDLU to get behind the cannons.

If you jump RDURRDLL instead, you can get to the bonus coins even when the conveyor timer isn't being pressed by the steel boxes.
Please note that this is MY way of completing this puzzle. I doubt John925 intended us to finish the level without push cannons, and I highly doubt I've used the "right" buttons. But this way I've described does allow you to get the gold star, and that's what matters, right? Especially seeing as John925 has not been seen for quite some time...
sassy
Rainbow Keeper

Post by sassy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:02 pm

So glad for the walkthrough! Great level!!
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:02 am

Took me many hours to improvise a solution - now it is done.