New Level - In the Halls of the Kaboom-Kings

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
BruceB
Bronze Wonderlander

New Level - In the Halls of the Kaboom-Kings

Post by BruceB » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:07 pm

Here's my second (postable) level, after "Big Bang!". I won't say anything as not to give it away.

(I'm going for a theme here, obviously! In case someone didn't know. You can group your custom levels according to quasi-"Worlds" as well. Just create a directory e.g. CustomLevels/MyWorld1 and copy the levels into that directory. You cannot edit them in the subdirectories, but that's just as well - I guess that keeps them safe. And yes, all this was in the editor tutorials... I just never noticed until now!)

I look forward to comments. I find it hard to judge how hard or easy a level is... this one might be pretty tough! Let me know.

Cheers,
Bruce 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:27 am

Hi Bruce! Been away from Wonderland for a couple of days and in the Thief world, where I'm designing a mission (also called a level.) I've checked in with the forum a couple of times, however, and I too have noticed it's been quiet. Yes, I've downloaded and tried your new level a few times. Haven't managed to solve it yet because, as is usually the case with me, the Kaboom Kings keep getting me. Think I've now figured out what I'm supposed to do, just haven't been able to do it yet. I'll keep trying.

I'm also going to do another Wonderland level soon. It's a nice break from Thief level building, which is very complicated (building a level can take months, what with AI problems, sound problems, architecture problems, etc.)

I suspect the forum will pick up. We're very early starters here! :D
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:55 am

I did it! Finished the Kaboom Kings twice, 5490 and then 5580. Yes, this level was tough for me when I first tried it -- I blew Stinky up many times just trying to get out of the corner. And then figuring out what the boulders were for...fun level! Thanks!
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:00 am

Finally managed to score 2730 on your level, Bruce! That might be the best I can do, unless I find some other method to solve it quicker. How many points do you think it's possible to get?
BruceB
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by BruceB » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:41 pm

Dianna wrote:Finally managed to score 2730 on your level, Bruce! That might be the best I can do, unless I find some other method to solve it quicker. How many points do you think it's possible to get?
I think you mean 5730?

My best score is 5790... I shave off a few seconds by knowing with what rythm to roll the three boulders to build the bridge for the Kabooms (that is, I don't need to spend time using Shift to explore the level and time each individual boulder).

The only other way I see gaining time/points is to figure out a way to shorten the "loop" that the final Kaboom runs around the level (I don't think you can catch him on the first go, and then he walks for quite a while. Maybe quickly roll the boulders around to block off a corridor?).

Bruce 8)
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:38 pm

Yes, of course, it was 5730. And I do have to look before rolling, but I'll see if I can figure out how not to.
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:54 am

Hey Bruce - yes, your second attempt was also well done!

Haven't tried for any big scores as yet like Dianna (the legend :D ), just enjoying the ride! I'm keeping very busy with 2 baby girls (3 & 5 months), a new house in need of renovations & a couple of followups to my Adventure Land level (in the wee small hours)

I must admit I couldn't work out what the boulders were for... looking to the bottom right of the puzzle :shock: duh!

Look forward to more levels from you. :D
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:18 pm

Update: Managed to get a 6080 on this level! Did this by just going for it on the last boulder. Pushed it as soon as I got there, collected the coins and ran for the boxes, confirming my Kaboomies and boulders were still there once I got positioned at the boxes. Don't think I can do better than this.
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:02 pm

BruceB, this was a great level. I don't generally like Kabooms, but this was fun. Took me a while, but I got it. Thanks! :D
SharonM