New Level -- Security Through Insanity

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

New Level -- Security Through Insanity

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:46 pm

I was trying to disguise something for a particular puzzle idea, but I failed... so instead I built a different puzzle using the failed "disguise".

The actual sphere movements aren't too difficult in and of themselves, it's all about figuring out what to do.

Have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:25 am

Great!!!!!

Thanks Muzo,

Since this site is not that active lately, please PM me when you produce a new level as I no longer check here so regularly.
|Cookie|
Rainbow Star

Re: New Level -- Security Through Insanity

Post by |Cookie| » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Amazing level and very satisfying to solve.
I was never good at RTW, so I'm surprised that I managed to solve it. All I had to do is stop overwhelming myself and think through it one step at a time. Thanks!
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am

Thx for the level!
Sorry I am new, what is the missing object?
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Sorry I am new, what is the missing object?
No object is missing - this is one of the hardest levels here: the only objects are the three yellow spheres and they are used again and again.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Here is a video solution: https://ln.sync.com/dl/b76515140/tqw9xd ... a-5rjx8yxn

This is just a temporary location: could someone please copy the video to a more permanent location?
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Amnon wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 pm
Here is a video solution: https://ln.sync.com/dl/b76515140/tqw9xd ... a-5rjx8yxn

This is just a temporary location: could someone please copy the video to a more permanent location?

Thanks!!!! The only permanent place I can think of is Youtube :P
This should be an easy level for you guys right? Never understand why you can create and solve such complicated levels :shock:
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Ah, sorry, I was absent here for most of the day. I haven't seen Amnon's solution yet, so I don't know if his moves are exactly the same as mine, but the "big picture" should be the same -- there are simply no other options. (EDIT: Just watched and it's exactly the same move for move, finally I made level that's truly airtight in the FIRST version!)
This should be an easy level for you guys right?
Not exactly. For a long time Amnon was the only one who responded in this thread, even though the level was downloaded 23 times. That means, at that point, potentially there were 22 others who didn't solve it. Cookie needed a few hints from me in a Discord server, and it was fun watching a live report of his reactions. :twisted:

Don't feel disappointed if you couldn't do it. It's a pretty hard level, indeed.
Never understand why you can create and solve such complicated levels
Creator's side: I very rarely post RTW levels nowadays, but when I do, I generally try to push myself to the limit and create the trickiest, hardest and most "out there" puzzle.

Forgive me if I sound pretentious, but as time went on, I found out that this is the kind of puzzles that inspires me both as a designer and as a player. Not just the most difficult one, but the most elegantly difficult one.

It was said of one chess player (Frank Marshall) that some of his most brilliant moves at first looked like typographical errors. Many of my favorite puzzles, at first, look like design errors. They seem like they can't be solved, so when a solution is finally found, it feels like a bit of a miracle, a magic trick of puzzle design.

Obviously, there are puzzles that are too hard for me to solve, but I have solved some pretty difficult levels. Mark's "Master of the Game" is one of my favorites -- Mark in general is really good at incredibly elegant puzzle design.

Outside of Wonderland, there's stuff like Portal Pro, a mod for Portal 1 by Mevious. It has some levels like that. "Ride" is a stroke of genius that took me over 2 hours and I'll never forget the moment the solution "clicked" in my head. It's a beautiful, creative level. And the less I talk about how embarrassingly long it took me to figure out the central trick to "Sewage", the better. :lol:

Whenever possible, I like to create the same feeling with my own puzzles. It's beautiful when "that's a joke, there's no way this can be solvable, right?" slowly, slowly turns into "oh, THAT's how".

With "Security Through Insanity" in particular, I wanted to create a "there's an object missing" feeling, which is why I added that sign in the end. However, there's no missing object, the level is just that clever. :wink: Mind you, I originally wanted to make it part of a much larger and even more difficult puzzle, where by looking at the layout, you wouldn't even know that you need an extra sphere outside. The rest of the level would look perfectly solvable without it, but wouldn't be. However, due to the nature of what I wanted the extra sphere to be used for I couldn't figure out how to make it actually work, so the plan fell through and I turned this into a separate level.
this is one of the hardest levels here
Amnon, you mean one of the hardest *recent* levels, right? On your end, some of your own levels are pretty tough, then there's dkgiz and LEMARQUIS... and on my end, "Deceptively Deceptive" is a thing. :lol: So there are plenty of harder levels in Wonderland history, but as far as recent levels go, yes, this is a really tough one.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 am

Amnon wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 pm
Copied to my website and re-encoded because it only played in VLC, not any browsers. https://cadence.gq/friends/Security_thr ... sanity.mp4
yuenlungwong wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 pm
Thanks!!!! The only permanent place I can think of is Youtube :P
Amnon doesn't like YouTube, and I have to say I agree. I'm thinking about making my own video upload service to complement my pastebin, images, and URL shortener.

By the way, I just watched this, being unable to solve it on my own, and yikes.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:41 am

Copied to my website and re-encoded because it only played in VLC, not any browsers.
Yes, your re-encode works. I originally thought it was just my Opera acting up. Amnon's file does work when it's downloaded, and not just in VLC, but browsers can't show it, for some reason. Your version works just fine.
By the way, I just watched this, being unable to solve it on my own, and yikes.
Yeah, it's a tricky one. Amnon's video is move-for-move the same as my solution, so what you see is what I planned. I particularly like how I managed to have all four gates at the end to make it really feel like something's missing, even though it's not.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Muzo (that I will be calling you, hope you don't mind :) ),
I actually played a lot of levels from mette's collection and some from cloudrac3r's collection too. And the most, I loved the levels made by kiki, lillie/lillian, Liz Mayhew, Mark, Amadeus, kaz67, Lemarquis, Amnon, you and [ERROR!: out of words] Their puzzle designs are elegant and involve a lot of unique ideas. I really loved this place. :) :) :)
Previously known as Aryan101
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:45 pm

This level's mad. I love it. :lol:

Many thanks to Amnon for introducing me to this level through this video solution. :D
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.