New Level (Advanced) -- Deja-Vu V

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

New Level (Advanced) -- Deja-Vu V

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:56 pm

I was replaying "Loof and the Troll" from WSW recently and thought "hey, maybe there was a more difficult solution planned originally, no way the solution on the MS page was the intended one".

I think I'm right -- in the original level, you can do a complicated reflector set-up that feels much more like the "intentional" solution...

... but not in my version. :twisted:

One coin that was out in the open is now encased in steel boxes and, more importantly, almost all of the objects in the final room are missing. (That includes the UFO, too, because it made my plan impossible, so be thankful that element of danger is gone, at least. The new solution is dangerous enough as-is.)

No barrel, no reflectors... even the boulder doesn't exist anymore, although the blue button became square to compensate.

Yes, this was inspired by a search for the "intended solution", but my solution is not the intended one. It's much harder. :wink:

This level includes a custom house taken directly from WSW to make sure the level looks the same way it did in WSW. Special thanks to Qloof234 for helping me get the house and Jinx133 for placing it in the level properly and replacing one wall with an X tile to make it all look good. I'd do it myself, but I was too busy, so Jinx ended up doing that for me. 8)

PLEASE NOTE: In the original level, a "secret" button in the second room unlocked a gate inside the house. Then you could collect the last two bonus coins and be teleported directly to the exit. However, in the original level, you could exit the "normal" way, you just wouldn't get 100%. In this version, there's no way of doing so. The "secret" exit is now not just a way to collect bonus coins, it's a requirement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: New Level (Advanced) -- Deja-Vu V

Post by Amnon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:23 pm

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

Thank you Muzo for a difficult, but certainly doable level!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:57 pm

... talk about coincidences! (I'm not religious, so I refuse to call them anything else, but if you're religious, feel free to see a divine touch here)

I'm foreign enough to have no idea that this is a super-popular Anglican hymn without looking it up on Wikipedia. So I had no musical context for it whatsoever... and the words kickstarted an entirely new melody in my head! A very pretty melody that otherwise wouldn't be born.

I don't really understand how my level and Cecil Alexander's words are related, but thanks for making me familiar with them, regardless. It turned out to be a great moment of inspiration. 8)
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 pm

I don't really understand how my level and Cecil Alexander's words are related
Because every creature, great (kaboom) or small (chomper) was required to complete this level, each in its own peculiar way!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Oh yeah, every element on the level matters, I just didn't make the connection... what a clever response, wish I figured out this relation on my own. Amnon, you're smart. 8)
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:40 am

Unfortunately, I can't get the coin boxed with wooden box. I can't get the chompers in that chamber. Am I missing something?

With lack of elements, it is pretty much difficult for me. :stinkyconfused:
Previously known as Aryan101
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:49 am

I can't get the coin boxed with wooden box.
Hint (highlight): There needs to be an explosion next to it!
I can't get the chompers in that chamber.
Why, they just follow you... Each must follow you to a different spot.
Am I missing something?
Make sure that no elements are missing - you have exactly enough to complete this level.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:24 am

I used the one for getting the coin boxed with steel box. However, how will I position them on the blue button chamber so the troll (Kaboom!) could explode near the wooden box?

Here's what I did till now, tell me if you spot anything wrong: (highlight to read)
I used the prisms to retrieve the barrel, boulder for covering the white button and the steel boxes for covering the two lava holes. I placed the barrel behind the steel box near to the exit and used one chomper to explode it. Now the problem is that I always lose the level or get completely stuck when trying to put the remaining chompers on the blue button chamber.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 am

You have done quite well. Now bring the chompers into the blue-button chamber one by one, not together!
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:49 am

Ok, thanks.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Aryan101 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:24 am
I used the one for getting the coin boxed with steel box. However, how will I position them on the blue button chamber so the troll (Kaboom!) could explode near the wooden box?

Here's what I did till now, tell me if you spot anything wrong: (highlight to read)
I used the prisms to retrieve the barrel, boulder for covering the white button and the steel boxes for covering the two lava holes. I placed the barrel behind the steel box near to the exit and used one chomper to explode it. Now the problem is that I always lose the level or get completely stuck when trying to put the remaining chompers on the blue button chamber.
You're doing OK so far, but here's one thing you might have missed...
You don't need two chompers for the kaboom. You can use just one and the reflector. Yes, the remaining chomper can clear the flames.
So yeah, as Amnon said, one by one.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am

But another problem is that the kaboom is following left walls, how to get it pass safely through flames.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 am

Aryan101 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am
But another problem is that the kaboom is following left walls, how to get it pass safely through flames.
Nudge the Kaboom along with the reflector. If you know how to do this, just one object is enough, although you have to be a bit careful to not get blown up. The very first Wonderland game has a level in world 10 that uses the same trick multiple times for a much longer distance.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Tried that, but the chomper is so slow that the kaboom wents back.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Tried that, but the chomper is so slow that the kaboom wents back.
The kaboom and the chomper are of the same speed, so you need to find the right timing to bring in the chomper.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm

It will require me some practise, but someday I will be able to complete this one.

Thanks for the help, Muzo and Amnon!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Solution to "Deja-Vu V":
Step on and off the bridge and fill the lava with two boxes.

Push the boulder left and down.

Fill the lava with two more boxes.

Use two prisms to blow up the top wooden box. This frees up the barrel, which you'll need later.

Bring the two steel boxes over the conveyor (one by one) and use them to build a bridge to the three chompers.

DO NOT GET RID OF THE CHOMPERS JUST YET. All three are necessary.

Bring the barrel over and move it to the top left coin behind steel boxes. Use one chomper and the barrel to destroy the top box and get the coin.

(The same chamber can also be used to temporarily "park" the two other chompers so that they don't bother you. Some quick fingers and a bit of experimentation will be needed, this isn't something I can really describe in a way you can follow, so you'll just have to try on your own. You'll also be able to later release them one by one, instead of together.)

Step on and off the bridge twice and fill the lava with the two remaining steel boxes. This will allow you to bring objects into the final room.

Do that and move the reflector into the final room. Place it two tiles below the sign.

Bring one chomper over into the final room. Walk on the left side of the pyramids and get the chomper to follow you, then move right next to the flames, then two tiles up and to the right. Chompers prefer horizontal movement, so this will remove the bottom flame and allow you to access these two coins.

Step on the blue button and get ready to push the reflector to the left. When the Kaboom touches the reflector and is moving to the left, push the reflector left. Make a small pause, then push it left again... and again.

If you can do this without blowing up, you will "walk" the Kaboom to the pyramids with just the reflector, similar to W10L8 in the original Wonderland game. At this point, wait until it's safe and push the reflector up one tile.

Now for the final trick. Bring the last chomper into the final room and follow the Kaboom's path. Your goal is to follow the Kaboom as closely as possible without blowing up, so that the chomper has time to reach its destination before the Kaboom catches up to the chomper.

The chomper needs to be to the left of the bottom pyramid. You need to be two tiles to the right of the same pyramid. The Kaboom must NOT have bounced back too early.

As soon as the Kaboom blocks the chomper and is about to bounce back up, QUICKLY run and push the reflector all the way to the left. You need to be fast enough to do it before your way is blocked. If done right, the reflector will enclose the Kaboom from the top, while the chomper will catch up and enclose the Kaboom from the bottom. This traps the Kaboom and blows up the wooden box, allowing you to access the last coin.

If you've done everything right up to this point, you should have all coins. Since the boulder is sitting on the "secret" button (you didn't mess that part up, right?) you can now explore the house to find the remaining bonus coins and the "secret" exit, finishing the level.