New Level [Advanced] - Freaky Magic

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

New Level [Advanced] - Freaky Magic

Post by Jutomi » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:39 pm

Hello everyone! So it never dawned on me that I never played around with this glitch very much...

there seems to be a lot you can do with it. (And a lot of nuance, at that.) More than just this, for sure... but I think this is a pretty fun way of dumbfounding folks who are even familiar with the glitch :lol: (and hopefully it's at least somewhat more approachable than some of my other levels...)

The level name was inspired by Evil Magic by Muzozavr. Hope you enjoy; and do not be afraid to ask for hints on this one. :)

My freaky solution~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jutomi on Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: New Level [Advanced] - Freaky Magic

Post by Amnon » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:27 am

Somehow I managed to exit the game after taking only 3 coins, I guess that doesn't count so I'll keep trying...
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:33 pm

Aw... really? I thought I accounted for every variable...

Wellh, since I've seen (and made) levels where achieving all rainbow coins is not a priority, I decided to add in bonus coins. Guess there's a reason people do that. :lol:

If some of their placements make you even more confused... well, that's a good thing. :)

P.S. I updated the original download since you were the only one who actually downloaded it so far :lol:

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:03 am

UAGH updated it again. Removed one rainbow coin because the 14-13 OCD was driving me nuts. (I thought it was 16-13 for some reason.)

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:52 am

Just an interim report: at the moment I am stuck with 11/13 coins and 4/13 bonus coins.

Wonderful so far, but it seems difficult from now on. I will keep working at it, thanks.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:16 pm

When you added the bonus coins, you also added a certain barrier which ensures that what needs to be done first is done first: Are you sure that this barrier does not also block an important move towards the end of this level?
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:08 am

ah. crap.

No, it was actually something else I added that I forgot to test for; that blasted white gate actually prevents something important, and it might not be what you think. :oops:

I ironically only added it just before uploading this because I thought it would help narrow down possibilities. I didn't think it'd also remove something completely unrelated. :roll:

My sincerest apologies :oops: Should be fixed now; I properly tested and recorded it so it's all set now. I also refiddled with the black teleporter to make it... well, hopefully forced to do what I want it to do... along with get rid of that 2 bridge that I had behind the red gate, just to avoid confusion. Hope this plays better as a whole :?

Lesson learned: Even after testing the level after adding a single element up to the point where you'd think it'd ever possibly be relevant, you still oughta do the whole thing over again anyway. :oops:

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:38 am

Much better now - I have all the coins now, but am still struggling to exit safely, so I'll keep trying...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:41 am

Still nothing helps - I have all the coins and bonus coins, been *everywhere*, but my final jump always fails because I have no control of Stinky to change his direction.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:30 am

Ah. Yes, that was a dastardly little trick I threw in at the end there.

If you were able to get those last two coins, then you know that you at least can change a stinker's direction mid-air double-exiting. The trick is how does one do that with three ghosts left?

(I probably shoulda introduced something with that level of trickery earlier in the level, but shape had my hand a little...)

If you still end up needing a hint (or just don't feel like testing it elsewhere / having to restart the level a bunch of times):
Spoiler wrote:you can press enter immediately after pressing right, switching you to Loof. Then, when Stinky exits the level, it'll switch to Qookie. Upon trying to move left from Qookie, when Stinky hits the second trampoline, the game will switch back to Stinky and you can turn left safely. Definitely a dirty maneuver.

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:36 pm

Well sorry, I tried dozens of times even with the spoiler and cannot exit.

Yes, the spoiler is a wonderful invention which keeps Stinky alive, but still I tried it with *every* single and double jump-combinations and I end up with one of the characters and unswitchable - Qookie, Loof or Stinky. Qookie and Loof cannot do anything and Stinky is free to walk around the level but can no longer get to an exit.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:35 pm

Hmm! Interesting!

So, I think I know what you're talking about. There is a very mean quirk I threw into the level, one which I didn't even think about being so unintuitive until just now. And one which you probably will want a hint on.

So, I'm sure you've noticed something odd with the bottom set of exits: you cannot just reuse the bottom purple teleporter multiple times to win the level, because the second time, Stinky dies for some reason.

There is actually a funny reason for that. I'll let you see if you can figure out why exactly, and try to deduce another odd property about it.
But the simple answer is eventually you can use it again. And the reason why is a little counterintuitive, but makes sense retrospectively.

For a full explanation:
Spoiler wrote:As long as a stinker "exists" in the world, they are real, physical objects - even if ghosts. Their bodies of course become non-real objects using the given glitch.

What happens when Qookie takes a little trip to another dimension, Qookie's actually is doing something really freaky - being in two places at once. One being in nowhereland, and the other being on a really inconvenient tile.

When Qookie becomes "real" again, the teleporter is blocked because though the body and mind are somewhere completely different, the game seems to think there is still an obstacle on the ice tile that otherwise would have killed the poor stinker.

But just like with other stinkers, when Qookie becomes a hollow shell, and only Stinky and Loof are left, then Qookie's spirit no longer blocks the teleporter - any more than if they were just standing there and became ghostified.
I hope that makes sense. I think once you figure that out, it's child's play from then on out. But in hindsight, it's a really weird quirk that could easily fly under the radar. :lol: :oops:

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:54 pm

Oh yes, the moment I read that it was still possible to exit that way, I tried it and it worked, even before reading the full explanation.

Now there are wonderful tricks here, it's just this ice-step that I didn't think of, the use of that split second.

Well, indeed an amazing level that will be remembered in history!
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:03 pm

Thank you, Amnon - high praise indeed :lol:

I forget if I've already credited Billy Bob for showing me the related glitches, but either way I do wish to thank him again. I'm glad I could expand on their potential, both in terms of absurd appearances and in terms of puzzle usage. :P

My video solution's been linked in the OP. Help yourself to ask for more help if you can't even follow the video :lol: