Custom Model Questions That Needs To Be Answered, please.

Custom 3d models, houses, etc. for Return To Wonderland.
wonderland fan
Gold Wonderlander

Custom Model Questions That Needs To Be Answered, please.

Post by wonderland fan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:03 am

I use AC3D to make my models for RTW. I will continue my first RTW series but there are some things...

First off, I don't know how to get the models into the game.

Second, I don't know how many tiles a model will take up(this is the most important question!).

If anybody could help me, I would appreciate it.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:15 am

Right, in AC3D the squares you see are the same size as the tiles in the game, so if a model covers 2 x 2 squares in AC3D it will cover 2 x 2 tiles in the game. The one difference is that where two lines intersect in AC3D is the centre of a tile in the game.

To make your models work in the game you need to use the export option in the file menu to save the model. Choose the 3D Studio option and it will be saved as a 3ds file. You need to make a folder in your CustomModels directory to put all the model files in. When you export the files call them model1, model2, model3 or model4. Those names correspond to the A, B, C, and D icons in the editor.

If you're using a texture for the model, rather than just colouring it in AC3D, then you need to save the texture files as either model1.jpg etc, if there is only one texture, or as 'texturename'.jpg if there are more than one for each model. The name of the texture has to be no more then 8 characters long, and has to be the same as the name you used to texture the model in AC3D. In other words you can't change the name of a texture once it's been assigned in AC3D or it won't show up.

You can have up to four models in one folder, and as many textures as you like as long as they follow the rules above.

In the editor you need to press Shift/M to bring up the dialogue box, and then type in the name of the folder the models are in. For instance if your model folder is called Pumpkin then you need to type in pumpkin. Once you save your level you should be able to see your model in the game.

Hope that helps you. :D
Pauline