'Chomping at the Bit' without using boulders or steel boxes

Questions and solutions to Wonderland, Return to Wonderland, and Secret Worlds.
Deathrock9

'Chomping at the Bit' without using boulders or steel boxes

Post by Deathrock9 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm

I'd imagine someone else already figured this out ages ago (after all, the game has been out for over a decade), but I felt like I'd post it here anyways. I've been playing through Return to Wonderland again and had gotten to this level, where I sat there for a while trying to figure out the bit with the boulders and the steel boxes. Looking now at how the level is meant to be done, it was a lot simpler than I thought. Eventually, I just came up with something different instead that still allowed me to beat the level, and a single Chomper didn't have to die in order for it to happen (though obviously doing it the right way gets you more points).

First, I got both characters into the red and yellow teleporters, but didn't collect any of the coins and instead got Loof's chompers to block Stinky's chompers (in the official solution, this happens as well but with Stinky's chompers blocking Loof's).

Following that, I kept Loof where he was and used Stinky to get the coins at the end of both teleporters, as his chompers would not be able to move due to the yellow ones blocking them. Following this, I completely skipped the boulder and steel box bit and put Stinky on the right side of the screen past the conveyors (similar to the walkthrough too).

I then navigated Loof over to the left side without the yellow chompers getting him, and as they can't go past conveyors, could no longer get him at all. Opening up the blue and green gates with both characters, I got the coins and then proceeded to get the bonus coins that were on Stinky's side, as the yellow chomper was stuck against the wall as it only goes after Loof. I kept Stinky by the exit and then repeated the same thing with Loof on the other side of the screen that has the red chomper.

With both of them by the exits, I finished the level without killing any chompers! :stinkycool:

While it wasn't completed the way the official walkthrough says it should, I think it shows how some of the puzzles in the Wonderland games are well made enough that you can do them just a bit differently and still manage to beat the level, which is probably part of why there is so much replay value to these games, alongside the online custom levels, the level editor and the fact that they're just incredibly charming and fun to play.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Re: 'Chomping at the Bit' without using boulders or steel boxes

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:56 am

Ah, yes, swapping the characters at the end allows you to completely ignore the boulders and steel boxes. Nice. I'm usually the one to discover all kinds of alternate solutions, but it seems like I was too focused on the regular solution here to think for longer than a few seconds and discover this trick...

Nicely done!
Last edited by Muzozavr on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Its a long time I played RTW's official levels, and I don't remember this level. :D
Previously known as Aryan101
Deathrock9

Post by Deathrock9 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:56 am
Ah, yes, swapping the characters at the end allows you to completely ignore the boulders and steel boxes. Nice. I'm usually the one to discover all kinds of alternate solutions, but it seems like I was too focused on the regular solution here to think for longer than a few seconds and discover this trick...

Nicely done!
Thank you! :stinkyhappy:
Aryan101 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:00 pm
Its a long time I played RTW's official levels, and I don't remember this level. :D
This is the level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-uIdv1WKKk

The video doesn't have any sound for some reason, but that's how the walkthrough on the Midnight Synergy website says it's meant to be done.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Oh yes! I remembered it now. I too solved it that way. :lol:
Thanks!
Previously known as Aryan101