I remember posting here a lot more than I apparently did

The place to introduce yourselves, meet other players, etc.

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

fobot
Silver Wonderlander

I remember posting here a lot more than I apparently did

Post by fobot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:13 am

I'm Forrest. I'm a professional writer. I drop in here every few months. Mostly to see the WA levels people have built. I realized, it's been about ten years since I created this account. Which is crazy. It's very nearly half my life. I still haven't ever changed my profile pic from the one I uploaded that first day.

Today, just for fun, I searched the forum for every post I ever made, starting from the oldest. Apparently, I only ever posted maybe a dozen times. The search results all fit on a single short page.

Except I remember being on this forum every single day, for several years of my childhood. It's strange to see those results, and think that maybe I didn't actually post very much myself. I have no doubt I read the forum a lot. But it seems I didn't contribute nearly as much to the community as I thought I did at the time. Which seems out-of-character, but the forum archive doesn't lie. I've just been lurking for ten years.

Anyway... Hi. How are people?
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:01 am

Not bad myself. It's always nice to hear from people again.
Unfortunately, the forum's been recently becoming less and less active. Several active users have left, including moderator jdl. (Check the recent topics in Meet & Greet forum.)
Are you planning on staying? :D
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:51 am

I'm happy that some new/old stinkers are here! :D

It gives me hope that maybe we can revive the forum. :shock:
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
fobot
Silver Wonderlander

Post by fobot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:44 am

[quote="cloudrac3r"]Not bad myself. It's always nice to hear from people again.
Unfortunately, the forum's been recently becoming less and less active. Several active users have left, including moderator jdl. (Check the recent topics in Meet & Greet forum.)
Are you planning on staying? :D[/quote]

I saw about jdl. They were one of the ones who gave me feedback on one of the levels I made, nine years ago. I'm not surprised people have left. In fact, every time I come here I'm pleasantly surprised at how many people are still active, to some degree or another. But there are good reasons we keep coming back.

I'm considering getting back into the level design game, with WA3. I played a lot with the WA1 editor and was massively impressed at how versatile it is for building Bioware-esque interactive narratives. And it's much more intuitive than something like RPG Maker VX Ace, which from what I can tell takes over a hundred hours to even learn how to use properly. And from what I can tell the primary disadvantage to WA3 is that the NPCs will have to look like stinkers.
PhoenixBlaze
Rainbow Wizard

Post by PhoenixBlaze » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Considering I'm a writer myself, I'll be glad to see the creative creations you make, Forrest. The WA3 editor is somewhat hard to use, but I've seen plenty of people make impressive adventures with it. (ex: Emerald141, MNIK, yotyot, etc.)
currently simping for kiyotaka ishimaru
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:07 am

fobot wrote:And from what I can tell the primary disadvantage to WA3 is that the NPCs will have to look like stinkers.
The other disadvantage is that your creations will probably only be seen by a few dozen people. I've been creating adventures for years, but I've begun to realize that it will be much more productive for me to learn other game design tools - even if it takes a long time. :lol:

I'm Yot Yot5, btw. Nice to meet you!
Oats
Gold Wonderlander

Game Design

Post by Oats » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 pm

As a game designer, I've always considered making a 'Wonderland Open' thing, where it's just Wonderland that's purely a level editor and has both Classic and Adventure gameplay.
fobot
Silver Wonderlander

Post by fobot » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:30 am

@Yot Yot5.
Nice to meet you too. I think I've seen your posts before.

If I wanted a ton of people to see my work, I wouldn't be a writer. It's nearly impossible to both make money and have an audience in my field. Game design, especially Indie game design, is much more of a growing industry. I wish you the best.

@Oats.
Back when I was playing with Java and Flash programming I thought about doing something similar. If I could make a suggestion from experience, it would be to not strictly apply the Wonderland brand. You can certainly make it similar enough to pull the interest of the Wonderland fans while also not limiting yourself to the legal hoops of fanworks. It's harder to rub the brand name off after the fact.