Issue #3 Feedback

Discussion related to the Midnight Synergy newsletter.
User avatar
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:00 pm

Post by Robbie » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:17 am

Block Pushing, Pulling, Carrying, Throwing, Stacking
In its current form, things can only be pushed in increments of one unit.

You mentioned that box pushing will be totally different and if it’s not too late to make suggestions here are some bound to give you more headaches…
- being able to push blocks (whatever) in small incremental units
- being able to carry blocks
- being able to stack blocks & push them to make ‘stepping stones’ to things/passages at greater heights or simply to cross over an obstacle whether it be a trap/water etc
- being able to pull blocks – if something or another block is stacked on top of the block being pulled it could remain in the same position & fall down when the downward way is clear.
- Being able to either climb or jump onto a block – jumping may require special boots in which case you would be able to carry blocks & stack to greater heights.
- Being able to throw blocks
- 2 variation of blocks – 1 which stops where it lands & another which slides a certain distance on landing
- Different power gloves for throwing – more powerful, throw further/higher

It might be handy to have a few requirements for jumping, throwing, carrying or even pulling whether they be boots for jumping/gloves for throwing etc. The idea being that a level creator would be able to limit abilities or extend them to allow for a greater degree of puzzle options – ie a simple pushing puzzle might be rendered useless if you are able to pull or just carry a block to a certain place. There’d be different dynamics with climbing as opposed to jumping particularly in say tight areas where you’d need more precise movement – if you had the ability to jump say & you wanted to climb, you’d take off the jumping boots, if you wanted to throw a block just a little way you’d swap gloves from powerful to less so. Just a side note regardless or what gloves you had on you’d still have the option of placing a block down rather than throwing it.

Some puzzle variations might include
- stacking blocks to get to another passage way (see pic) or to get to a reward item (or whatever)
- stacking blocks to cross a lava flow
- removing blocks to get to a buried item
- you might have a room divided by say lava with 2 entrances, blocks on one side & a puzzle element on the other which requires 2 characters, one to throw blocks to the other side & another character to stack in a certain way etc
- there might be a switch element to open doors or make appear certain items
- at its simplest form a simgle block on a single switch to open a door
- maybe a different colour switch which would require say 2 blocks stacked on top of it to… another that might require 3…
- you could have a puzzle which requires 6 blocks to be arranged on 3 different coloured switches while avoiding enemies
- or even a puzzle as in the second picture (crossing from right to left)


Robbie :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yes, I'm still here... ;)
500 posts here I come!
User avatar
wonderland01
Rainbow Master
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 am

Post by wonderland01 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:25 am

Robbie wrote:Block Pushing, Pulling, Carrying, Throwing, Stacking
In its current form, things can only be pushed in increments of one unit.

You mentioned that box pushing will be totally different and if it’s not too late to make suggestions here are some bound to give you more headaches…
- being able to push blocks (whatever) in small incremental units
- being able to carry blocks
- being able to stack blocks & push them to make ‘stepping stones’ to things/passages at greater heights or simply to cross over an obstacle whether it be a trap/water etc
- being able to pull blocks – if something or another block is stacked on top of the block being pulled it could remain in the same position & fall down when the downward way is clear.
- Being able to either climb or jump onto a block – jumping may require special boots in which case you would be able to carry blocks & stack to greater heights.
- Being able to throw blocks
- 2 variation of blocks – 1 which stops where it lands & another which slides a certain distance on landing
- Different power gloves for throwing – more powerful, throw further/higher

It might be handy to have a few requirements for jumping, throwing, carrying or even pulling whether they be boots for jumping/gloves for throwing etc. The idea being that a level creator would be able to limit abilities or extend them to allow for a greater degree of puzzle options – ie a simple pushing puzzle might be rendered useless if you are able to pull or just carry a block to a certain place. There’d be different dynamics with climbing as opposed to jumping particularly in say tight areas where you’d need more precise movement – if you had the ability to jump say & you wanted to climb, you’d take off the jumping boots, if you wanted to throw a block just a little way you’d swap gloves from powerful to less so. Just a side note regardless or what gloves you had on you’d still have the option of placing a block down rather than throwing it.

Some puzzle variations might include
- stacking blocks to get to another passage way (see pic) or to get to a reward item (or whatever)
- stacking blocks to cross a lava flow
- removing blocks to get to a buried item
- you might have a room divided by say lava with 2 entrances, blocks on one side & a puzzle element on the other which requires 2 characters, one to throw blocks to the other side & another character to stack in a certain way etc
- there might be a switch element to open doors or make appear certain items
- at its simplest form a simgle block on a single switch to open a door
- maybe a different colour switch which would require say 2 blocks stacked on top of it to… another that might require 3…
- you could have a puzzle which requires 6 blocks to be arranged on 3 different coloured switches while avoiding enemies
- or even a puzzle as in the second picture (crossing from right to left)


Robbie :D
Well, that would make a challenging game :)
Image
User avatar
paulm12
Rainbow Keeper
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:52 am

New Ideas

Post by paulm12 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:19 am

Iorn Box: push more than one at a time

Maybe some levels with pushing boxes, others with only pulling
If you're reading this, you've officially finished the actual post and are just reading my pointless sig.
Paul Mayer
User avatar
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:00 pm

Post by Robbie » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:17 am

Flooring
- that falls away after x amount of time whether you’ve stepped off it or not
- variable rates of speed for this process

Platforms
- variable sizes/speeds
- fixed pathway
- possibly elevator style (up/down) or even a combination of dimensions x/y/z…

Wings
- when worn result in a gradual descent from a height
- basic – fixed direction
- interm – ability to change direction mid glide
- adv – ability to flaps wings x times to increase hight mid descent

Custom Graphics
- for traps like say spikes or electric if they appear in the new game
- ability to use custom models as an alternative
- if supplied with level, custom model is used, otherwise standard is used

Waterslides (wishful thinking)
- require some floatation device(?)
- one way travel only (faster than normal flow)

Enemies
- ability to freeze an enemy or turn them to stone/woods etc (possibly for a limited time) and then push/pull/carry them onto switches etc
- need to immobilize or defeat all enemies in a room to unlock a door etc

Chest/Reward
- maybe the option of a level creator being able to make a map/hint sheet as a reward in a hard to get chest or from an NPC which could be stored in the trusty bag with all the other bombs, ladder bits etc.
- ability to pull out and read any time.
- could be a map showing important items etc
- up to x pages long with a forward/back/close button

Robbie :D
Yes, I'm still here... ;)
500 posts here I come!
User avatar
wonderland01
Rainbow Master
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 am

Post by wonderland01 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:25 am

What about Box tubes where you can't see where the box is going :?: Or what about Gates that you need a certain amount of rainbow coins to pass :?:
Image
jamesdenem
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:09 pm

Post by jamesdenem » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:29 pm

I think the idea about gates where you need a certain number of rainbow coins to pass them would be very interesting. You could use them to split up the levels into different areas, and in order to move on to the next area, all the rainbow coins in the area you are in would have to be collected.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5550
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:13 pm

How about a cannon which shoots after being hit by a cannonfire. Fireball hit the cannon -- cannon fired. Fireball hit the cannon again -- cannon fired again.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
User avatar
wonderland01
Rainbow Master
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 am

Post by wonderland01 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:32 pm

Muzozavr wrote:How about a cannon which shoots after being hit by a cannonfire. Fireball hit the cannon -- cannon fired. Fireball hit the cannon again -- cannon fired again.
It would
make a great action level. It could make a ring of fire. :D
Image
User avatar
paulm12
Rainbow Keeper
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:52 am

Jole

Post by paulm12 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:04 pm

Mabey objects can change in a different world: for example, A campfire in the deasert world would look HUGE because it's very hot, but in the ice world, It might be put out or frozen or (if Stinky was lucky) a little bit burning





Why did Stinky cross the road?

To hear what all this fuss was about
If you're reading this, you've officially finished the actual post and are just reading my pointless sig.
Paul Mayer
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:35 pm

TO MY GOOD FRIENDS IN WONDERLAND!

Post by Hekate » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:16 pm

I had thought of an idea yesterday, but now I have forgotten it. Give me a few moments to get my thoughts in order...

Erm... Oh yeah! It was something about chompers, assuming they exist in the new game (I hope so! I like chompers!), there should be special statues of the four charachters that will attract chompers that pass within a certain radius... I'd go with 5*5 centered on the statue... 3*3 seems too small to be helpful in this case.
User avatar
popo
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4178
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:07 pm

Post by popo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:08 pm

I think I would like to see switches which can be timed at various intervals, which are like the points on a railway track. For example, you have a conveyor which splits into two, and the switch will alter the direction you go off at. It will randomly change the direction at intervals so you don't know which branch you will take till you get there, or you have to time your arrival to coincide with it changing the direction to go the way you want to.

Comprende? :? :?: :)
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5550
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:19 am

wonderland01, even now it's possible to create a ring of fire. "THE SECRET CAVE" :lol:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
User avatar
wonderland01
Rainbow Master
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 am

Post by wonderland01 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:07 am

Muzozavr wrote:wonderland01, even now it's possible to create a ring of fire. "THE SECRET CAVE" :lol:
Well, what I'm saying is that it would be easier.
Image
User avatar
loof101
Rainbow Master
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:49 pm

Post by loof101 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:19 am

Special Trampoline: Once you jump on it, the next jump takes you over one

Sticky Spheres: Like Sticky Cubes but are shaped like balls, and keep rolling :roll:

Linked Cubes: Like Link Spheres but are boxes.

Also with Linked Cubes Need more than 4 colours!

the next thing is probably not possible at all:

A special Modelling Program... That follows Wonderland's code!
Also gives easy Animating possibilities (IF animated models are possible)

Here is example of Special Trampoline:
X-Tramp num is how many spaces you go each jump

Code: Select all

X1X1

Ok I think I got no ideas left for now, but PLEASE, PLEASE try to make Wonderland for Mac! :cry:

No I dont have Mac but I have a friend who likes Wonderland BUT has a Mac.
Last edited by loof101 on Sat May 13, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic In Super Smash Bros. Brawl? NO WAI
User avatar
loof101
Rainbow Master
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:49 pm

Post by loof101 » Fri May 12, 2006 4:22 pm

It would be cool to have objects in boxes.
You can already do that!

First, place an object in a Sticky cube, second, have a coveyer 2 tiles away and pointing at the sticky cube, third, have a trampoline in front of the coveyer so the box on the conveyer lands on the sticky cube. If you did that right, you can end up with an exit in a box!
Sonic In Super Smash Bros. Brawl? NO WAI
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5550
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Post by Muzozavr » Sat May 13, 2006 6:29 am

No "each jump multiplyed by 2"!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: At only the tenth jump it will be the jump over 1024 tiles! :lol: Don't think that the game will handle it succesfully.
Or imagine the 64 jumps.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Post Reply