I need help!!

Leveltextures, Custom Icons, etc. for Wonderland Adventures.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

I need help!!

Post by FinnThor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:25 pm

I can't figure out how to use the custom level textures in the Editor v3.00..
can somebody explain it to me? I download the textures and put them in the
UserData\Custom\Leveltextures folder.. but when i right click the the LevelTex button in the editor and type in the level texture name, it won't work! The custom textures for custom objects (like the chomper) don't work either!
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Well, sometimes they're saved in .zip files,
which may mean you still have to unzip them.

If it's not that... well, I'm not really an expert with custom content,
myself, so I honestly don't know what other problem there'd be. :?
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:05 pm

I unzipped them and then took the .bmp files out of the folder that they were in after they were unzipped, then i put the .bmp files in the UserData/Custom/Leveltextures folder. An Example: backgroundtex darkness1. Then you would have backgroundtex darkness 2, and then leveltex darkness. They were in one folder when i unzipped them and then i took them out and put them in the UserData/Custom/Leveltextures folder, like i said earlier.

If you're not following me, the question is: Was i supposed to take the .bmp files out of the unzipped folder and into the UserData/Custom/Leveltextures folder :?:
Last edited by FinnThor on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Jutomi wrote:If it's not that... well, I'm not really an expert with custom content, myself, so I honestly don't know what other problem there'd be.
Okay.. thanks anyway!
Last edited by FinnThor on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:35 pm

To help, the correct path is UserData > Custom > Objecttextures . You had it almost right. I'm assuming you're putting textures for editor objects like chompers or barrels as opposed to background or water textures.

LevelTextures is the right folder for backgroundtex1 and backgroundtex2 files, leveltex files, and watertex files. There's also a folder for custom icon textures used with the 'Custom icon' objects, and a folder for custom models for any object.

When you say level textures, you probably mean the level as a whole but a 'leveltex' file is for the tiles used for the walls and ground of a level (wlv) file. That's why the LevelTextures folder only handles background-walls, water-colour, and level-map textures.

You can also, and probably should, make a second 'Custom' or 'CUSTOM' folder in your WA editor main folder next to the editor and player, regardless of the version, and copy all your files from Objecttextures into CUSTOM as well.

A lot of us used CUSTOM for object textures in the old WA1 editor which didn't have the official Objecttexture folder. That's because the developer Midnight Synergy programmed in the editing option and folder paths for objects to be textured in the old editor but chose not to implement it officially until the WA3 editor. Some of us 'hacked' the option to be available for everyone by editing the object .wop files so the custom-texture data-point was usable in the editor.

Many of us are still used to using CUSTOM in the new WA3.00 editor instead of Objecttextures so copying your object texture files into both never hurts. :)

Hope this helps!

See forum moderator Emerald141's editor guide for more details.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:49 pm

I'm not sure where the custom folder is supposed to be, even though you might have told me, but i'm not sure.. whatever i'm doing isn't working.
Wonderman109 wrote:You can also, and probably should, make a second 'Custom' or 'CUSTOM' folder in your WA editor main folder next to the editor and player, regardless of the version, and copy all your files from Objecttextures into CUSTOM as well.
For the backgroundtex1, backgroundtex2, and leveltex, they're not working when i right-click "LevelTex" and type in the texture name, for example:
woodedwaterlands, it's not working at all.. it just says "FILE(S) Not Found when the files are in the leveltexture folder. LevelTextures is the right folder for backgroundtex1 and backgroundtex2 files, leveltex files, and watertex files. There's also a folder for custom icon textures used with the 'Custom icon' objects, and a folder for custom models for any object.
Wonderman109 wrote:LevelTextures is the right folder for backgroundtex1 and backgroundtex2 files, leveltex files, and watertex files. There's also a folder for custom icon textures used with the 'Custom icon' objects, and a folder for custom models for any object.

When you say level textures, you probably mean the level as a whole but a 'leveltex' file is for the tiles used for the walls and ground of a level (wlv) file. That's why the LevelTextures folder only handles background-walls, water-colour, and level-map textures.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:46 am

Also, In the "readme" in the leveltextures folder, it said to right-click the "leveltexture" button in the editor and type in the "NAME" of the texture.. how do i know what the name would be :?:
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:30 am

The name ought to be simply to figure out - most of the time it's right in the title (e.g. MNIK's "Blue Hills" custom texture is titled "bluehillsleveltex").

Some browsers automatically add in underscored inside the file names in place of spaces, which sometimes causes glitches for different people. If the textures in question have underscores ( the "_" symbol) in them, try replacing it with a space.

Remember, the full path to the level texture should be "WA Editor v300 > UserData > Custom > Leveltextures" and the full path to object texture should be either "WA Editor v300 > UserData > Custom > Objecttextures" or "WA Editor v300 > Custom".
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:19 am

LittleZbot wrote:Remember, the full path to the level texture should be "WA Editor v300 > UserData > Custom > Leveltextures" and the full path to object texture should be either "WA Editor v300 > UserData > Custom > Objecttextures" or "WA Editor v300 > Custom".
I basically already have the "Custom" folder set up, so now i need to get the textures for objects and the level working! Hooray! :)
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:13 pm

LittleZbot wrote:The name ought to be simply to figure out.
Well, Not for me, apparently! I'm going to try to explain what my problem is with the level textures.

I know where they need to go, and they're there already.. now let's say i have 3 textures.. a backgroundtex1, a backgroundtex2, and a leveltex.

They say: "backgroundtex1 woodedwaterlands", "backgroundtex2 woodedwaterlands", and "leveltex woodedwaterlands".

Now, when i right click the leveltextures button in the editor and type in "woodedwaterlands", it just says: "FILE(S) Not Found!".

That Would Be My Current Problem With The LevelTextures.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:55 pm

If they're in the right place, and in a BMP format, then it should be working perfectly. I have no idea what your editor's problem is.

Try installing a new copy of the editor (not replacing your old one) and copy the level textures into that. See if they work in the new one. If so, the problem might not be with what you're doing and it might just be a glitch in the editor.

FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Forget all my problems with the level textures! I figured out my problem! :D

Edit: The object textures work too!
LittleZbot wrote:Try installing a new copy of the editor (not replacing your old one) and copy the level textures into that. See if they work in the new one. If so, the problem might not be with what you're doing and it might just be a glitch in the editor.
It was a glitch and a little more.. :)

Edit: Certain object textures don't work for me, and i'll put up an image of one of the textures that didn't work for me.
DerpzSpycrab
Gold Wonderlander

Post by DerpzSpycrab » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:53 pm

FinnThor wrote:Forget all my problems with the level textures! I figured out my problem! :D

Edit: The object textures work too!
LittleZbot wrote:Try installing a new copy of the editor (not replacing your old one) and copy the level textures into that. See if they work in the new one. If so, the problem might not be with what you're doing and it might just be a glitch in the editor.
It was a glitch and a little more.. :)

Edit: Certain object textures don't work for me, and i'll put up an image of one of the textures that didn't work for me.
Not sure if you did this yet, but try creating a Custom folder in the main editor directory (the folder with the editor, player, etc.) and put that texture in there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nothing to see here yet
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:45 am

DerpzSpycrab wrote:Not sure if you did this yet, but try creating a Custom folder in the main editor directory (the folder with the editor, player, etc.) and put that texture in there.
No, that's not it, i figured out what the problem with some of those object textures was.. They were PNG files and JPG files, not bmp files...

Now, does anybody know how to change a PNG/JPG file into a bmp file?
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:30 am

I use MS Paint, just opening the PNG/JPG file and re-saving it as BMP. Of course, it will look a bit shoddy because you're putting a low-quality JPG or PNG image file into the high-quality BMP format, but that can't be helped.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:51 pm

Where would this go? It's a glove-charger texture that i downloaded from
LexieTheFox's post.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Objecttextures and CUSTOM.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:05 pm

*sighs* It didn't work.. :(
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:58 pm

Can you be more specific? Why not? It's a custom texture for the Glove Charger wop, and should be placed in the folders accordingly.

FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:53 pm

LittleZbot wrote:Can you be more specific? Why not? It's a custom texture for the Glove Charger wop, and should be placed in the folders accordingly.
I don't know what folder the custom texture for the Glove Charger wop would go in.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Quite simply, the path should be either "WA Editor v300 > UserData > Custom > Objecttextures" or "WA Editor v300 > Custom". It's the same as any other custom texture.

FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Okay, Now it's working!

Thanks! :D