The Ultimate WA Editor Hex-Editing Topic! Take A Look!

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 pm

DEEMAN223344 wrote:could you get us glyphs, and tell us how to get the shards to behave like in WA?
I mentioned that in a later version of MOFILevelConverter all MOFI objects will be supported. This includes the magic mirror object and therefore glyphs.

As for shards, [EDIT: all figured out now! see this post and this post]

You should keep in mind that the exact warp locations (and other such behavior) of the shards and glyphs are fixed in the programming, so there's little to no degree of customization possible with those items. However, you can kind of alter the location those items warp you to, by putting a LevelExit object on the warp location to warp the player a second time to the intended destination in your own adventure. Similar to the technique I proposed to get around the starting hub location of 1.wlv (37,8 ) [or something like that] for demo MOFI.
Last edited by cbloopy on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 pm

JohnEmmanuel143 wrote:Yeah, but the teleporting and the animation if the mirror stuff.

I did tried to make one,but it's worse,
Before I started working on the MOFILevelConverter program, I actually have thought about how to create an imitation of the MOFI mirror using purely objects from WA Editor. One day I might go back to it, so that people have the option of using a similar system without using demo MOFI for the real magic mirror object.

If I succeed, it would probably be one of the most complicated mechanisms I've created to date, and I know that I won't be able to get the same animations as the real mirror (because animated custom object textures are not supported), but the ability for different custom items to warp you to different locations is definitely possible, given a complicated enough mechanism of hidden NPCs and buttons like the map thing I did.
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:56 pm

cbloopy wrote:
DEEMAN223344 wrote:could you get us glyphs, and tell us how to get the shards to behave like in WA?
I mentioned that in a later version of MOFILevelConverter all MOFI objects will be supported. This includes the magic mirror object and therefore glyphs.

As for shards, I'm pretty sure Patrick disabled their functionality in the Editor (since hubs are required to use them), and I wouldn't be surprised if the function is removed from demo MOFI as well. However, if you use WA1 demo to run your adventure you can probably get the shards functionality. jdl's already been asking for support on using WA1 demo for running custom adventures, so I'm already working on a "WA1LevelConverter" program.

You should keep in mind that the exact warp locations (and other such behavior) of the shards and glyphs are fixed in the programming, so there's little to no degree of customization possible with those items. However, you can kind of alter the location those items warp you to, by putting a LevelExit object on the warp location to warp the player a second time to the intended destination in your own adventure. Similar to the technique I proposed to get around the starting hub location of 1.wlv (37,18 ) [or something like that] for demo MOFI.
We could check because you have gotten around that kind of stuff before, Besides, you cross the rainbow pool to use the shards so it must be a command. I really hope we can get the shards working. I already have a mechanism in mind to simulate programing the shards to take you to a specific location and otherwise take you to another, Which I also plan to use glyphs. Yes, I know I could just use WA1, but other places use MOFI objects, so I can't.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:23 pm

DEEMAN223344 wrote:Besides, you cross the rainbow pool to use the shards so it must be a command.
Unfortunately with special features like the shards, it's rarely as simple as it looks.

[EDIT: and yet it is! the feature's apparently been left intact in WA Editor and MOFI demo. See later posts for details.]
Last edited by cbloopy on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:20 am

As an example, here's a possible mechanism for simulating the shards, or any sort of arrangement where you can use a few different items to warp yourself to different places. Like the map thing I did earlier, you'll have to put the same mechanism on every level though (or at least every location where your simulated shards or what-not are supposed to work). Obviously in a real adventure, you would do a better job of hiding the mechanism (eg. fake walls, additional walls to separating the mechanism farther away from the rest of the level, etc).

Instead of direct warping, you can also have the GC buttons triggers a dialog instead (ie. CMD 21 instead of CMD 7), which can then give you the option to warp or to cancel and stay put.

It's not as fun as the real thing, but it works. [edit: I'm not sure how to simulate having the shards "not working" until after a certain point in your adventure, because CMDs only affect the current active level. If you use "dialog warping" instead of direct warping, it may be possible to use CMD 22 a few times to modify the warping dialogs to enable/disable the ability to warp.]

[The test adventure requires Qloof234's "adventurewonderland" custom icons (download here)]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnEmmanuel143
Rainbow Seeker

Post by JohnEmmanuel143 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:13 am

This is much better than the real one.
!!!!!!WA:TMS Announcement!!!!!!!
The Link to the Current Page is HereAnd
Here!
Thank you For your Support ^_^
JohnEmmanuel143
Rainbow Seeker

Post by JohnEmmanuel143 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 am

The Easiest Way for Magical Mirrors and Glyphs is that

Make one Magical Mirror That only uses one Glyph.

Like for example, You made a HOME MIRROR,only a home Glyph Can Open it.
!!!!!!WA:TMS Announcement!!!!!!!
The Link to the Current Page is HereAnd
Here!
Thank you For your Support ^_^
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

WA1LevelConverter is here!

Post by cbloopy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:14 am

[edit: version 0.8.0.0 released! now supports bulk conversion from Editor to WA1!]

For people considering using the demo version of Wonderland Adventures 1 to run their adventures, this is the program that enables you to do so. It also lets you convert levels from the real WA1 game into a format loadable by the Editor!

Introducing WA1LevelConverter version 0.5.0.0, a beta (edit: current version is now 0.8.0.0). The operation is very similar to the MOFILevelConverter program. You select a .wlv file. The program can detect whether the .wlv file is from the Editor or from the real WA1 game, and will convert to the other format.

The main features missing are:

1) bulk conversions [edit: added support for this in the Editor -> WA1 direction]
2) for WA1 => Editor conversions, you'll notice that all objects are missing their adjusters when examining the level in the Editor. That's because the WA1 format doesn't store object adjusters in the level file (which is the main reason why the two formats are not compatible), so the only way to restore them during conversion is for me to program in all the information on which objects have which adjusters. That'll have to wait for the next version.

Because I haven't done much testing with the WA1 game engine, it is possible that there might be other differences between WA1 and WA Editor that I don't know about. It's up to you people using my program (and using WA1 demo to run your custom adventures) to let me know of anything that doesn't work across conversions.

Finally, about custom level textures and custom icons: WA1 doesn't support them in the same way as the Editor. All the level textures that come with the game are stored in the Data\Graphics folder, with the funny encrypted filenames (.wdf). If you use custom level textures, the files must be placed there, and renamed to the encrypted filenames. Eventually maybe I can write a program to automate this, to automatically copy and rename files from your Editor's custom level textures folder into WA1 demo's data\graphics folder.

For now, assuming you're sticking to level textures from WA1 and MOFI only, the easiest thing to do would be to copy all the files (except xbufsufy 1.wdf) from MOFI's Data\LevelTextures folder into WA1 demo's Data\Graphics folder. WA1 demo's Data\Graphics folder only comes with 4 textures, missing even basic ones like WonderTown, so even if you aren't using MOFI level textures you'd still want to copy the many other "missing" files.

As for custom icons, the easiest thing to do would be to replace the jdpot-dvtupn.wdf file in Data\Graphics folder to the custom icons graphics you want to use.

Custom object textures (eg. rainbow chompers and what-not) should work in WA1 demo the exact same way as in the Editor, but this hasn't been tested yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cbloopy on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

the CMD to activate the shard's teleporting abilities!

Post by cbloopy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:40 pm

DEEMAN223344 wrote:Besides, you cross the rainbow pool to use the shards so it must be a command.
Looks like you're right, and maybe there is no complications after all. I used MasterDatEditor to look at master.dat for the Rainbow Pool (Adventure87 in WA1) and discovers the CMD to activate the shards: CMD 114.

I tested it out in WA Editor and the CMD definitely did something. Before running the CMD, using a shard will display the message "the shard makes a beautiful sound but nothing happens". Once the CMD has been run however, the message will instead say "you cannot use the shards while in an adventure", which I think is what would happen in WA1 if you try using the shards while not on the hub.

So, probably all the programming for the shards have been left intact. With luck maybe it's still there even in MOFI. I'll let other people test that out.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Swe-et. I even made it into two syllables to prove how awesome it is. :lol:

I'm going to test this in MoFI to see if we still have Shard coding in there.

Personally, I think we do, except the game has it restricted to one area without needing to tap the "shards", as in the Glyphs.

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:38 pm

D-P

The shard's coding is 100% intact in the WA:MoFI Demo! If you get the shards and then go and activate CMD 114, you get the same message when you click them, but then if you click them out in the hub, you get the messages from WA:

"A gentle glow has begun to eminate from the shard."

And so on, and so on.

However, I'm not sure yet if the coding to send the player to a hub area is intact. I'm going to copy in the Hub areas past one from WA and see what happens.

To think that all this code is left untouched between games... Actually, that makes me wonder - What even happened to the Rainbow Shards between WA and MoFI? :shock:

12 posts
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:44 pm

T-P

Alright, so it doesn't work 100%. After you finish playing the seven-note song, the game will fade like normal then MAV. The reason for this is probably due to the fact that WA uses negative Hub numbers and yet MoFI uses positive, so it can't find the right hub area most likely...

If only we could edit that data somehow... :?

11 posts
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

if you're using WA1 demo for your custom adventures...

Post by cbloopy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:36 pm

cbloopy wrote:For people considering using the demo version of Wonderland Adventures 1 to run their adventures, this is the program that enables you to do so.
Okay, I just discovered one more thing that you'll need. For some reason, the current version of WA1 demo you can download from MS doesn't support custom textures, not even when you stick them inside the Data\Graphics folder. It is so locked down that it won't even take textures that are part of WA1 but not included in the demo, like WonderTown!

Fortunately, I still have the older version of WA1 demo's wg.exe, which doesn't have this silly limitation. Attached here.

[edit: REMOVED. It is still not enough. WA1 demo's wg.exe does not have the programming for Spikeyballs and Chompers and will MAV on any levels using those! Please use wg.exe from the full version.]
Last edited by cbloopy on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

where the shards teleport you to

Post by cbloopy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Alright, so it doesn't work 100%. After you finish playing the seven-note song, the game will fade like normal then MAV.
You just don't have the right levels in place. I tested with MOFI demo and found the destinations for all 7 shards (highlight the lines if you find any colors hard to read):

red: -70.wlv, (11, 15)
orange: -12.wlv, (17, 19)
yellow: -44.wlv, (34, 14)
green: -90.wlv, (16, 15)
blue: -64.wlv, (14, 12)
indigo: -21.wlv, (10, 16)
purple: -86.wlv, (11, 12)

As you can see, all that's needed to deal with the negative level numbers is to stick a negative sign on the filename! (If you're using WA1 demo instead of MOFI demo, then of course you don't need the negative sign.)

That said, using negative level numbers in the hub of MOFI demo is still pretty untested, since that doesn't happen in the official game. Things might seem to work fine until you save and reload a game or something. So, it's probably still a good idea to stick a LevelExit in those negative levels to immediately whisk the player away to a more normal level number. It's also not a bad idea to avoid using the corresponding positive numbers (70, 12, 44, 90, 64, 21, 86) for your hub levels, just in case.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Actually, that makes me wonder - What even happened to the Rainbow Shards between WA and MoFI? :shock:
It's probably a good thing the Stinkers didn't bring the shards with them to Fire Island--they could've easily lost all the shards during the shipwreck! :lol: :wink: Though I bet they really regret not having the shards once their ship is destroyed with no way back to Wonderland.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:54 pm

Your converter doesn't work. :? When I go to convert a Editor file to work in WA1, (full version) it won't load in the game. It gives me a MAV. :cry:
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:04 pm

jdl wrote:Your converter doesn't work. :? When I go to convert a Editor file to work in WA1, (full version) it won't load in the game. It gives me a MAV.
Send me the file. That said, off top of my head, the most likely mistakes you made:

1) you typed in the wrong name for the level texture
2) you didn't copy the level texture files into Data\Graphics and rename them to the funny .wdf filenames
3) your level uses custom object textures (eg. colored scritters) but you forgot to copy the folder or texture files into WA1's game folder.
4) test the level in the Editor first. If for example you have a typo in one of your object's custom TextureName (like JohnEmannuel did a few times in his adventure), then it would MAV no matter where you play it.

Other possibilities:

1) maybe in the version of WA1 you have, wg.exe has been locked down like in the current demo version, so that it can't load textures that don't come with the game. In that case, download my copy of wg.exe I alluded to earlier.

2) if you have the player start off being warped by a LevelExit, remember that you need negative level numbers when warping to a hub level file.

3) If you're using Windows Vista, try making a copy of the entire WA game folder and move the copy to somewhere outside c:\Program Files. Run the game from this new folder.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Re: where the shards teleport you to

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:27 pm

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Alright, so it doesn't work 100%. After you finish playing the seven-note song, the game will fade like normal then MAV.
You just don't have the right levels in place. I tested with MOFI demo and found the destinations for all 7 shards (highlight the lines if you find any colors hard to read):

As you can see, all that's needed to deal with the negative level numbers is to stick a negative sign on the filename! (If you're using WA1 demo instead of MOFI demo, then of course you don't need the negative sign.)

That said, using negative level numbers in the hub of MOFI demo is still pretty untested, since that doesn't happen in the official game. Things might seem to work fine until you save and reload a game or something. So, it's probably still a good idea to stick a LevelExit in those negative levels to immediately whisk the player away to a more normal level number. It's also not a bad idea to avoid using the corresponding positive numbers (70, 12, 44, 90, 64, 21, 86) for your hub levels, just in case.

Awesome. Just awesome.

If only we could change the destinations without using the LevelExit object, though...

Still awesome, regardless. Thanks cbloopy! :D

10 posts
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Re: where the shards teleport you to

Post by AJQZC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:52 pm

cbloopy wrote:

How do we change it? :(
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:54 pm

We can't actually change the destination directly, but using a LevelExit (Red Arrow) Object we can instantly redirect the player, which works just as well. :wink:

9 posts
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:57 pm

So that means that we have to include the numbered levels as well? :o
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:08 am

I don't think I understand... Do you mean we have to include the levels that are numbered as destinations as well?

If so, yes, otherwise the game MAV's. :?

I don't know if that will be a problem for CoPr, though, because the hub is meant to be huge either way. :lol:

8 posts...
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Re: WA1LevelConverter is here!

Post by cbloopy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:23 am

cbloopy wrote:For people considering using the demo version of Wonderland Adventures 1 to run their adventures

<snip>

For now, assuming you're sticking to level textures from WA1 and MOFI only, the easiest thing to do would be to copy all the files (except xbufsufy 1.wdf) from MOFI's Data\LevelTextures folder into WA1 demo's Data\Graphics folder. WA1 demo's Data\Graphics folder only comes with 4 textures, missing even basic ones like WonderTown, so even if you aren't using MOFI level textures you'd still want to copy the many other "missing" files.
I just noticed that the textures that comes with WA1 or demo WA1 aren't quite the same as the ones in WA Editor or MOFI! :shock: Yes, even basic ones like "Hills" are slightly different, mainly with some tiles located at different locations in the bitmap.

So the bottom line: you have to copy the files in demo MOFI's Data\LevelTextures folder into the copy of WA1 you're planning to use for your custom adventures. Otherwise, even if you aren't using custom textures in your levels, it won't come out right in WA1 without the Editor/MOFI version of the textures. (WA Editor also has the same texture files but the filenames aren't encrypted, as required by WA1. Hence demo MOFI is the best source for the files.)
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:38 am

cbloopy wrote:I just noticed that the textures that comes with WA1 or demo WA1 aren't quite the same as the ones in WA Editor or MOFI! :shock: Yes, even basic ones like "Hills" are slightly different, mainly with some tiles located at different locations in the bitmap.

So the bottom line: you have to copy the files in demo MOFI's Data\LevelTextures folder into the copy of WA1 you're planning to use for your custom adventures. Otherwise, even if you aren't using custom textures in your levels, it won't come out right in WA1 without the Editor/MOFI version of the textures. (WA Editor also has the same texture files but the filenames aren't encrypted, as required by WA1. Hence demo MOFI is the best source for the files.)

So, what you mean is that, to use demo WA1, we have to copy the textures from MoFI directly in the LevelTextures folder, while for the WA Editor, the level needs to be encrypted? :roll:
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:40 pm

cbloopy wrote:I just noticed that the textures that comes with WA1 or demo WA1 aren't quite the same as the ones in WA Editor or MOFI! :shock: Yes, even basic ones like "Hills" are slightly different, mainly with some tiles located at different locations in the bitmap.

I posted most of the strange ones here.
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:06 pm

AJQZC wrote:So, what you mean is that, to use demo WA1, we have to copy the textures from MoFI directly in the LevelTextures folder, while for the WA Editor, the level needs to be encrypted? :roll:
Only the filenames of the actual texture files need to be encrypted. When entering in the texture to use in WA Editor, just enter normal unencrypted names (eg. "wonderfalls").

Also, demo WA1 doesn't have a separate "LevelTextures" folder. Both textures and other graphics are in the "Graphics" folder.

So basically:

1) copy everything from demo MOFI's Data\LevelTextures folder into demo WA1's Data\Graphics folder.

[Note: if you want to keep WA1's version of the standard water texture (which has rainbow instead of lava), don't copy "xbufsufy 1.wdf" from demo MOFI.]

2) if you have your own custom leveltextures not from WA1 or MOFI, you'll need to copy their files into WA1 demo's Data\Graphics folder, and also rename those files to the encrypted filenames yourself. For example, for the custom "indigo woods" texture:

copy "backgroundtex indigowoods1.bmp" and rename to "cbdlhspvoeufy joejhpxppet1.wdf"
copy "backgroundtex indigowoods2.bmp" and rename to "cbdlhspvoeufy joejhpxppet2.wdf"
copy "leveltex indigowoods.bmp" and rename to "mfwfmufy joejhpxppet.wdf"

3) in the Editor, if you need to enter texture names for the MOFI textures or other custom textures of your own, just type them in normally (eg. "wonderfalls", "indigowoods").
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:19 am

cbloopy wrote:For people considering using the demo version of Wonderland Adventures 1 to run their adventures

<snip>

WA1 demo's Data\Graphics folder only comes with 4 textures, missing even basic ones like WonderTown
Turns out that's not the only things missing. I haven't done a full comparison, but apparently there's a lot that's missing from the demo version of WA1, such as the various models for monsters (it only has the FireFlower).

So it's probably better to start off with the full version of WA1. If not feasible, then you'll probably want to copy everything from WA Editor's Data\Graphics, Data\Models, Data\Sounds, and Data\Music folders, just to cover anything that might be missing in WA1 demo.

About the only reason to use WA1 is if you want to use missile magic. Otherwise, just save yourselves the trouble and use demo MOFI. :wink:
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:18 am

wow! tHIS IS INCREADABLE!!!
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:18 am

Edited
Last edited by AJQZC on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:05 am

AJQZC wrote:Is there a way to fix the editor, such that it does not go down one (level / dialog) by one? It's really slow. :?
Just hold the Shift key when you click on the + - and it will go down/up by 10 instead of 1.