More information needed on custom items.

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

More information needed on custom items.

Post by popo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:47 pm

In the reference list under Custom Items, it says that you can apply an ID, a texture, and a funtion to each item. I know how to make one item act like another one, eg. the flower to act like a glowgem, or spy-eye. What I can't figure out is how to make an item useful if it isn't one of the listed 4, ie. spy-eye, glove, lamp or glowgem. For instance, how do I make a parcel or a letter icon useful like in WA, when you collected the parcel and the letter to give to someone?

I want to be able to pick up an item and take it somewhere else and 'deposit' it, either by giving it to someone or putting it down so it can be used again (if that's possible). For instance, I'd like to give someone a parcel then they would give me something else which I could then give to another person.

Would it be possible to give a more detailed explanation of how to do things with the custom items, with examples?
Pauline
superquookie
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by superquookie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:24 pm

Remember that MS said there were some restrictions to the player?You nailed one! :(
IM BACK!

remember quookie;)
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 pm

superquookie wrote:Remember that MS said there were some restrictions to the player?You nailed one! :(
Actually you can do this. You have a NCP use "item check" and then the NCP gives you a item. Of course I don't know how to do any of this :roll: but I know it is possible dlcs18 did it in one of his adventures.

By the way how do you make items act like other items.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: More information needed on custom items.

Post by dlcs18 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:29 pm

popo wrote:For instance, I'd like to give someone a parcel then they would give me something else which I could then give to another person
I'm very sure it's possible, but I haven't figured out the "Giving the item to NPC"
But I know how to make an NPC give you an item. :P
dlcs18
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:39 am

Yes, it is possible, and yes, the NPC talk command "Item Check" does this for you.

Basically, you setup your NPC talk structure like this:

InterChange: "I'm Looking for a Blue Flower". Response: "I have one, do you want it?", which links to Function #5 with Data the ID of the item in question.

If you don't have this ID in your inventory, the next Interchange is started, which could be: "Hmmm, I don't think you actually have a Blue Flower on you, do you?" With Response: "Oops, my mistake".

If you do have this ID item, then the following (i.e. two down) Interchange is started, which could be "Oh thank you thank you" etc.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:23 am

Adding on to what MS said, here is a small example of the object collection, trading, etc.

To figure it out a bit better, open the dialog in the Editor Dialog and the level to see how it works.

NOTE: For Custom objects (E.G the dot, flower, Sonic icon), the FN ID is what I believe is causing the thing to work. Experiment with it, you might be able to do something you didn't know how to do...

Well, there you go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:39 am

maxnick wrote:By the way how do you make items act like other items.
While in the Items-Custom editor you can change the FN:.... to Gloves, Spy-eye, Lamp or Glowgem so whatever picture the icon has on it it will change to one of the above in your inventory. You have to set it to Spy-eye if you choose the spy-eye anyway, but you could choose the parcel item and set the FN:Spy-eye, then when you pick up the parcel it will go into your inventory as a spy-eye, like you opened the parcel.

I think those are the only 4 things you can change them to though, at least so they automatically act like the thing you changed them to.

Thanks for the download Qloof234 I'm going to study it today. :D
Pauline
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:01 pm

That´s a nice level MS. :stinkyhappy:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:35 pm

Kilicool64 wrote:That´s a nice level MS. :stinkyhappy:
Wasn't it Qloof? :wink: :lol:
dlcs18
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:42 pm

popo wrote:
While in the Items-Custom editor you can change the FN:.... to Gloves, Spy-eye, Lamp or Glowgem so whatever picture the icon has on it it will change to one of the above in your inventory. You have to set it to Spy-eye if you choose the spy-eye anyway, but you could choose the parcel item and set the FN:Spy-eye, then when you pick up the parcel it will go into your inventory as a spy-eye, like you opened the parcel.
Got it thanks :D .
Last edited by maxnick on Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:11 pm

dlcs18 wrote:
Kilicool64 wrote:That´s a nice level MS. :stinkyhappy:
Wasn't it Qloof? :wink: :lol:
Oops! :stinkyred:
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:51 pm

popo wrote:
Edit: Why did I post this I already tried it?? :lol: :?: