Discussion on Criticism

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Discussion on Criticism

Post by Nobody » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Continued from Wonderman's topic. I figured it was getting cluttered a bit muchly.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks for this. It's a bit odd for Wonderman to get 20 non-adventure based posts on his topic. :lol:

ONTO TOPIC:
Emerald141 wrote:It's perfectly okay to give praise to an adventure that you think is deserving, obviously. But when you complement someone so that it seems like you're insulting other people at the same time, that's when it becomes a problem.
If that's your logic, then there would never be such thing as giving a "good" or "bad" review. If I'm only allowed to voice my opinion so that everyone is more or less equal, it takes away the point. I'll try and be even more polite, but I think these "reviewing rules" are getting a bit extreme now.
Emerald141 wrote:This is just an insult to Ice. Using hyperbole and implying that Ice's adventures are mediocre isn't going to get you much respect.
Considering all the pretty horrid stuff you're "implying" about me in your recent posts, I don't think that's a very good point. I still think Ice's adventures are fun and have some fantastic scenery, plotpoints, and gameplay, but my brain simply doesn't enjoy them as much as some others. That's all I meant by it, whatever I might sound like I'm implying.
Emerald141 wrote:Like I said before, having a different opinion is fine. You can have your opinion, and you can vocalize it, but you're not allowed to say it in a way so that it insults somebody else.
I will try my very best not to do that in the future.
Emerald141 wrote:It's been acknowledged for some time that when it comes to adventures, Quality > Quantity. This is not the entirety of the equation; in at least the view of the adventure designer, Effort > Quality > Quantity. If something has had a lot of work put into it, it still deserves respect for that very reason, no matter how good it ended up being (although higher quality doesn't exactly hurt).
I HAVE praised both "Into The Rainbow" and "The Golden Toothbrush", but I didn't find as many reasons to praise them as Wonderman's recent adventure. Like I said, that's my brain talking, and judging by the way you love Ice's adventures I'm probably missing several large points, but you can't talk my brain into seeing adventures differently.
Emerald141 wrote:Yot yot, the only post you made in my fiftieth adventure topic that addressed the adventure's quality used one word in praise and forty-six words in nitpicking.
Back then I didn't review my adventures very well at all, but "Awesome" kinda summed it up. As for the nitpicking, I thought both points I made were important problems that should be reported.
Emerald141 wrote:This is a pretty good example of a semi-reasonable opinion being voiced in an insulting way.
Like I said, I HAVE praised both "Into The Rainbow" and "The Golden Toothbrush", but I didn't find as many reasons to praise them as Wonderman's recent adventure.
It's not so much an assessment of what's good that transfers, but rather the level of respect put into the grading. If someone has regarded you or your creations with respect, like the other Hexagon members have, then it's completely reasonable for us to expect a similar level of respect from you.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll try to do that in the future.
Last edited by yot yot5 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Emerald141 wrote:It looks like this argument is done now anyway, so let's stop arguing.
:D
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Yeah, let's just move on.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 pm

I deleted this because it was stupid. Have a nice day. :mrgreen: :3
Last edited by Wonderman109 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:59 pm

And also, can we discuss other cases of criticism here too and general guidelines for it? Or is this specific to my case?
TheThaumaturge
Rainbow Master

Post by TheThaumaturge » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Well, this escalated quickly.

To voice my opinion on this, I DO think we should drop the grading sheet format. (Even though I've never used it because I never really liked it.) As said before, it could make a perfectly good adventure seem unworthy and the criticism can easily come out as offensive.

Also, to speak for myself, I actually have not been playing any of the other forum members' adventures recently. There's so many games picking up my attention that I usually find myself playing Minecraft or FTL rather than WA. If you guys feel like I don't consider your adventures worthy, please do know that is not true. Again, in reality, I haven't played ANYONE'S adventures at all for a while now. >.> If I can set my mind to it, maybe I'll be able to play some this weekend or something. SORRY ABOUT THAT.

Now, Wonderman, I think that when ILW was talking about throwing "hissy fits" he/she wasn't talking about you, specifically. I believe he/she was talking about the way criticism could be taken in general, so there's no need to get fired up about that. (Correct me if I'm wrong, ILW.)

Regarding my adventures, I've noticed over time that I'm not that good of a puzzle designer, really. I like to focus on scenery and making the adventure fun, but I'm not particularly good at making hard puzzles or anything like that. The only exception could be the first time I used the Brr Lake, and its success was mostly due to the fact that it was new. This is why I thought yot yot was being a little too harsh on me when reviewing my adventures, because he focuses on the puzzle aspect of Wonderland, not the exploration aspect. The only thing I would ask of yot yot is for him to view my adventures more from the exploration side than the puzzle side. PWEASE? :3

TO WRAP THIS UP, we all know that criticism is necessary sometimes, but we have to try to keep it as friendly as possible. If you dislike an adventure, you can just state it in a simple and docile way, without completely crushing the designer's emotions. And regarding that "the world isn't always fair"; well, we can change that, can't we? :wink:

PS: Sorry if I wander off from the topic, I tend to do that when I write long things like these. :P
Into The Rainbow!

Next Adventure: The Federation: 0%

Gentleman Scientist Supreme.

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I could write more, but why bother? Ice is a good person, and I can live with puzzle-scarce adventures.
Last edited by Wonderman109 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:38 pm

ILW didn't seem to really say anything that bad, IMO. I'd say this is over already.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 pm

You are correct Ice. I wasn't saying it was one particular person, just something everyone (including me) can work on.
Insert stupid jokes here.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 am

TheThaumaturge wrote:PWEASE? :3
Indeed, my brain focuses way too much on the puzzle format, and because of that I find it very difficult to sound polite. I'm sure you're adventures are very good in some peoples eyes, but I can't teach my brain into seeing things differently. I'll put all the awesomeness I can gather into making my reviews nice. :)