WACC6: The Patchwork Problem

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

WACC6: The Patchwork Problem

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm

W.A.C.C. 6: The Patchwork Problem
By Yot Yot5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This challenge is split into two weeks. On the first week, you will make "patches", and only the second week you will "sew" the patches together. This almost certainly sounds a bit weird, so here are the rules in detail:

WEEK 1 OBJECTIVE: Make a WLV file. That's it. It could be a small chamber with some NPCs and signs, a small puzzle, or even just an empty room. Just make it your own, unique "Patch" and PM it to me so I can check it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: The level may only have ONE WLV FILE. It must be no bigger than 30X30.
2: NO DIALOGUE WRITTEN. You MAY add NPCs and signs, but NO DIALOGUE can be written for them!
3: No levelexits, gold stars, or scenery items. In fact, please don't use much scenery of any kind at all. This will make more sense later.

WEEK 2 OBJECTIVE: I will PM everyone who sent me a patch EVERYONE'S patches. For instance, if I had received 4 patches in week 1, I will compile them into a 4-WLV adventure and PM the editing file to those 4 people. Your mission is to add levelexits and dialogue to the patches and make them make sense!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: You MAY add dialogue to signs and NPCs, and you MAY add scenery (or change the leveltexture).
2: You MUST use all the patches, and for the best marks you must have each patch tell a major plotpoint.
3: You MAY NOT edit any other part of the patch!!! This will test your storytelling skills to the max!
4: And, of course, you may choose where to place the star and where you start the adventure (feel free to change the name of the WLV you think should start the adventure to "1").

MARKING: You will be marked out of 100 in total. Here are the points split up:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1-40 points will be given for the quality of the patch. For high marks, make it possible to go from point A to point B, wherever points A and B are!!! For low marks, make it a simple puzzle room with a VERY clear starting point and finishing point.
1-60 points will be given for the quality of the final adventure. For high marks, make every patch tell a major plotpoint (and fit in with the patch's environment). For low marks, make a storyline where you just walk through each patch, finding the star at the end.

THESE RULES ARE LIKELY TO CHANGE. PLEASE INFORM ME OF ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE BEFORE YOU SEND IN YOUR ENTRY.
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm going to try this. Though I was a little confused on what you mean by the term "Scenery" but I get it now. This seems interesting.
"Cabbage is useless"~Came to me in a dream
"Aparagus is Unlovable"~Common knowledge
"Radishes are Ugly"~Came to my mind
My Level List
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Wowie, looks nice! I'll try this. FOR REAL THIS TIME!
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 am

I can deal with this. Sounds interesting.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:14 am

Cool idea. But my patch will probably be either too easy or too hard to work with. :lol: :oops:

EDIT: Also, are we allowed to change dialog numbers? (e.g. if two stinkers have the same dialogs in two different wlvs, can we edit one's so the dialogs are separate?)
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 am

I think the problem with the other contests is that, while interesting, they had too many or too complex rules and became hard to keep up with or get started with, so people simply did not participate. Your competitions seem relatively simple or easily managed, time-wise.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 am

Oh my goodness, I was just finishing my first entry and forgot to save; I clicked south of the border, MAVed, and lost all my work.
Please MS, you have to fix this glitch.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:30 am

OOH

PLEASE TELL ME THE WEEK DOESN'T END BEFORE I CAN GET HOME LATE FRIDAY OR SO
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:49 am

APPARENTLY IT ENDS NEXT TUESDAY SO DON'T WORRY.

PUNK!
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 am

Wonderman109 wrote:EDIT: Also, are we allowed to change dialog numbers? (e.g. if two stinkers have the same dialogs in two different wlvs, can we edit one's so the dialogs are separate?)
Yeah, of course. You can also change wlv numbers so you can choose which one your stinker starts in. :)

The deadline for week 1 is the 12th of February, but I've already got Wonderman's patch! It's going to be great fun trying to see people make a storyline out of it. :lol:
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:30 pm

I just received an entry from Yzfm. It's a lot simpler than Wonderman's, but it still has a very promising design that should be useful in week 2!
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 am

Sounds good. If I finish demo1 of TNPQ before Feb11, I'll submit my file too
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:56 pm

4 more days to go until the patches are out! Please get your patches in as soon as possible so I can tell you if you've broken a rule. :D
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Hey, for week 2 can Stinker accessories can be changed?

Also, do scenery objects need to be placed in places without walls or should they replace walls?
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Nobody wrote:Hey, for week 2 can Stinker accessories can be changed?

Also, do scenery objects need to be placed in places without walls or should they replace walls?
Accessories CAN'T be changed. NOTHING can be changed except scenery objects. Sadly, NPCs don't count as scenery.

Scenery objects can be placed anywhere so long as they don't alter the gameplay of the adventure. Thus, placing them on floors would NOT be allowed because it would stop you from standing somewhere you could stand before. On the other hand, placing them on walls WOULD be allowed because you can't stand on a the respective tile, before or after the scenery was placed.
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:02 am

I assume you don't have to use every single thing in every single patch? Like, you can leave elements or NPCs unused?
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:36 am

Sent you the Patch you desire.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:19 am

Master Wonder Mage wrote:I assume you don't have to use every single thing in every single patch? Like, you can leave elements or NPCs unused?
You don't HAVE to use everything, but for the maximum marks you should try and use as many as possible (and make every element have something to do with the storyline). I doubt anyone could ever get perfect marks on a challenge like this, but just do the best you can. :)
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 am

But I can change the wall's options (jagged/smooth - Round/Square, etc.) and other tiles. Right?
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 am

I've just received 2 new entries. One from Fluffsherry, and one from Nobody. Fluffsherry's entry broke some rules, so I can't accept it just yet. Nobody's is a bit confusing, but it is technically allowed and will be used in week 2.

Keep the entries coming in, guys! :D
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Whoops! My PC is taking a lot of time when I use WA editor. Looks like I must spend long hours for it :? . There's 99% probability that I may take part in the final day but 1%, mr.computer, please!
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Fluffsherry's patch has passed my test! We now have 4 patches to piece together (SOMEHOW). It will undoubtedly be one of the funniest challenges ever!
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Pressed post twice due to lag. My bad.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 pm

There'll be 5 soon according to the cha... uh, a place.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 am

Yotyot, I may participate in this WACC (finally :D), but please say me if the custom textures and modyfing terrain's appearance are allowed.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 am

Pawelec wrote:Yotyot, I may participate in this WACC (finally :D), but please say me if the custom textures and modyfing terrain's appearance are allowed.
Custom textures are NOT allowed. You MAY change the terrain's appearance, even in week 2! (But you can't change the logic of the tile, because that would effect the gameplay of the patch).

On the 12th, I'll compile all the rules I've collected into a single post for easy reading. :)
Fluffshery
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Fluffshery » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Can you delete duplicate things? For example, if I have Magic Gloves in my .wlv, and someone else included Magic Gloves in theirs too, would it be allowed to delete one of them?
Albert Einstein wrote:Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
My Level List
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Fluffshery wrote:Can you delete duplicate things? For example, if I have Magic Gloves in my .wlv, and someone else included Magic Gloves in theirs too, would it be allowed to delete one of them?
Yeah, I guess. But only for gloves, glowgems, lamps, and spy-eyes.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am

WACC6: It's time for week 2!!!
Within the next hour, I will have sent out an adventure editing file to the following five people. It shall contain five wlvs.

Wlv 1: Wonderman109
Wlv 2: Yzfm
Wlv 3: Nobody
Wlv 4: Fluffsherry
Wlv 5: Emerald141

Your job is to add levelexits and dialogue to these patches and make an adventure out of them! I don't expect a "good" entry from any of you, do please don't panic if you find it hard. Just do the best you can!

RULES
1: You may change the wlv names around. For example, you could change Emerald's patch from wlv 5 to wlv 1, and change Wonderman's patch from from wlv 1 to wlv 5. The only reason you would want to do this is to choose where the stinker starts your adventure.
2: You may choose where to place the gold star.
3: You may change the dialogue numbers for any signs or NPCs during the adventure, and you may add dialogue for them.
4: You may change the texture of the adventure. If you have the patience, you can also completely rework the tiles used (as long as you don't change the logic on them!). For example, I change the texture on Yzfm's patch and find that a part of the floor looks awkward, because it's pitch black. I can replace the black tile with a regular floor tile, but I can't change the logic to "wall"!
5: You may add scenery, as long as it doesn't alter the logic of any tiles. For example, you can place trees and rocks on walls, or even DELETE a wall and place a tree where the wall used to be (because the overall logic wouldn't have changed).
6: YOU MAY NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER PART OF THE PATCH.
MINIRULES!!!!!!!
Stinker accessories can't be changed.
You don't have to use every single element of every patch, but it will give you better marks.
You may delete duplicate gloves, lamps, glowgems, and spy-eyes.

PLEASE ASK IF YOU ARE CONFUSED, SO I CAN ADD TO THE MINIRULES LIST.
Last edited by yot yot5 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 pm

That's harder than what I expected. I'm not familiar with those mechanisms.

Also, Is it allowed to add a CMD 21 at the starting point to explain some of the plot?