[RELEASE] WA3 Editor Tools Conversion Files (UPDATE DEC. 02)

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

[RELEASE] WA3 Editor Tools Conversion Files (UPDATE DEC. 02)

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:16 pm

PoTZ Spoilers in this thread. Read at your own risk!

UPDATED NOVEMBER 28th. Scroll down for details.
UPDATED DECEMBER 02nd. Scroll down for details.
In a similar vein to cbloopy and jafo1015's editor conversion objects allowing us to create levels using elements from MoFI, I've worked on putting together a set that allows us to use most of the gameplay objects from PoTZ.

The ones that aren't included are the Suction Tube "corner" pieces and standalone Brr Pads (These are indeed a separate object in PoTZ, I've checked). Additionally, I'm aware that Suction Tubes are somewhat annoying to work with here. I'm not sure what I can do about regular tubes, but I'm looking into it.

This also doesn't include PoTZ "Scenery" or objects that have had alterations between WA/MoFI and PoTZ (Stinker NPC, for instance).

ADDITIONALLY, I've put together a small Hub/Adventure set that does nothing other than allow the player to start PoTZ in a "Custom Adventure" mode in only a minute or two (I can't figure out how to hex the .exe file like cbloopy did, unfortunately).

So, basically, these packages:

- Allow you to run custom WA3 Adventures in the meantime before the Editor proper is released
- Allow you to create custom WA3 adventures using most of the gameplay elements introduced in PoTZ
- Are nothing more than an "in the meantime" thing before the Editor's proper release (which will hopefully be soon-ish)

Links:

PoTZ Player package (THIS IS NOT A COPY OF WA3, YOU MUST ALREADY OWN IT)

Editor .wop package, WA1 Editor Version
Editor .wop package, MoFI Editor Version

You'll also need the WA Editor tools, thread here: Click

The reason for these two different versions is because the Mothership object in PoTZ has a separate model from the one in MoFI (I'm not sure why to be honest). The MoFI Editor version of the Mothership object just uses the Mothership prop from MoFI itself, while the WA1 version uses a separate model as a stand-in.

A few notes on what the settings for the .wop files are is included in the Player download. Note that I haven't worked out how all of them function - If you should stumble across what values do what for certain objects, please let me know.

Also, I can't guarantee that levels using these will be compatible with the WA3 Editor upon release, so that's something to keep in mind.

EDIT: Also, actually, two things.

First off - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FILE. I don't expect this to happen, but if you don't read it then ask for help relating to something the file mentions, I'm not going to assist. That is all.

Second off - While it's not inherently related to the conversion files, a note on Flash magic - A level using Flash properly must be set up to do so. Dropping a Flash charger into a level does not work properly, unlike the other magic spells.

From a technical standpoint, Flash works by "ghosting" an object and freezing its state, then teleporting it to 1,1 in the current level. If 1,1 is a wall tile or unblocked, you can get strange results, including game crashes. As a result, the tile at 1,1 needs to have floor logic and be blocked off, so any moving object on that tile does not leave.

EDIT 2, Nov. 1:

Just an image of a sample level showing some of the PoTZ objects. If anyone wants to fiddle around with this or take a look, I'll post it later.

UPDATE: Nov. 28th:

- Master-Class/Z-Bot NPCs added - Re-download Editor .wop packages from the Dropbox links above.
- PoTZ .WOP notes updated - Attached to post.

UPDATE: Dec. 02nd:

- Suction Tube Corners can be used, but are not included in the main package - This workaround requires hex editing the PoTZ player's wg.exe file. Currently working on a substitute of some sort for the meantime. Details on .exe workaround here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Qloof234 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Unfortunately, I'm not certain how exactly that works. I'm still looking into that.

As-is, they should otherwise function like they do in PoTZ.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:18 pm

I'm pretty sure Zip-Bots use a new floor logic that determines their paths.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Actually, I may have been a bit too hasty in saying it's not possible. To be honest, I don't have high hopes, but looking at Cooling Station in the editor, it doesn't appear as if the Z-Bot pathways have different logic.

I'm going to look into this a bit, see if I can find anything. I don't know how to get tile logic out of a .wlv, so if someone else wants to take a look, go for it. Cooling Station is in the Adventure4 folder.

EDIT: Indeed, I was wrong! Zip-Bots seem to get their "path" by the texture of the tile they're placed on. The wired-pathway tiles can have regular Floor logic, Zip-Bots will follow them all the same.

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Good to know! Thanks for finding that out. :D
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:13 am

I hope this conversion WOP-set won't make Patrick think we don't need WA3 Editor anymore... :wink:

I am definitely testing this today.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:44 am

Admittedly, I actually did ask Patrick about this just before WA3 came out. This really is just something to tide us over until the Editor proper. :wink:
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:00 pm

I ought to get used to this before the actual WA3 editor comes out; I'm a bit rusty at the edges :P
she/her | Sayori#2285
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Hmm... I think I'm going to wait for the release of the POTZ editor, somehow.

However, one thing I would REALLY like are the POTZ level textures. Is it possible for you put them up for download?
Fluffshery
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Fluffshery » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:49 pm

You're not the only one who wanted these. I made them almost as soon as I got PotZ. Too big for the forum, so I put a link here. Good job whoever designed them, they are really nice.

One last thing, the texture labeled jaava was the texture used for Uo, and the texture labeled uo wasn't used (well, maybe after the stargate, but I don't know).
Albert Einstein wrote:Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
My Level List
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Fluffshery wrote:You're not the only one who wanted these. I made them almost as soon as I got PotZ. Too big for the forum, so I put a link here. Good job whoever designed them, they are really nice.

One last thing, the texture labeled jaava was the texture used for Uo, and the texture labeled uo wasn't used (well, maybe after the stargate, but I don't know).
Thanks!
Krishiv738
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Krishiv738 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:21 am

I am digging through hub wlvs to get more wops
I am getting outta here, nothing is new, everything is boring.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 am

All that's left other than the few .wop's that I can't get working are scenery objects or objects that already have a WA1-Editor equivalent of some sort (ie. the rainbow portal isn't included because it can just be substituted with an arrow until the editor itself)
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:37 am

Well, if the original POTZ player can accept custom adventures that we make, I don't see why we can't replace POTZ adventures with our adventures.

In other words, we can replace the wlvs in POTZ adventures and then play the original POTZ game with our own adventures. In that way, it will be like MS hub with our adventures
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
Fluffshery
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Fluffshery » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:30 am

How can you use custom textures within this? You can set the adventure to use a custom texture when in the editor, but where should you put the file in the player folder?
Albert Einstein wrote:Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
My Level List
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:56 am

You mean for the WA3 Player? It's mentioned in the instructions file.
Fluffshery
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Fluffshery » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Oh, I guess I must have missed it. I'll look through it again.

EDIT: Aha, found it.
My Level List
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't see that one string of text on the wop file settings.
Sorry! :oops:
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
epicdude15
Rainbow Master

Post by epicdude15 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 pm

I get confused at the end of the instructions, it tells me to replace it, I can't find anything to replace it with. Sorry if this is easy, my mind is just so jacked up.
R u Srs?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:50 pm

You're referring to the bit about the Conversion Tools, yes? Did you download the .wop zip files as well? The file it's talking about is in those.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Also, Qloof. You say that you don't know what any of the datas 1-4 do for the auto door .wops? I have a hunch I know what they do. I'll edit this after I test out both doors with my theory.
EDIT: Just tested it. Placed two zip bots on two alternate paths. They go through three lines of auto doors, each with 1 set to a single data. (Only one data wasn't tested) I was seeing if they were for the zbot clearance setting, but I was wrong. (Or maybe, I haven't tested that last variable)
Last edited by LexieTheFox on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawr.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 pm

By all means, go for it! :) I've tried messing about with them but haven't gotten any meaningful results.

Having said that, I've noticed that the AutoDoors on Cooling Station have different values - The ones the player can open all have -1 for Data4, 5, and 6, while the Z-Bot only doors have -430 for Data4, 2 for Data5 and 6, and 80 for Data7.
epicdude15
Rainbow Master

Post by epicdude15 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 pm

It did work a bit, none of the conversions really did work besides the chompers, which I'm sure that wasn't the conversion, can you send a pic? I'm really having trouble in this and I want to make my new wonderland game.
R u Srs?
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Qloof234 wrote:By all means, go for it! :) I've tried messing about with them but haven't gotten any meaningful results.

Having said that, I've noticed that the AutoDoors on Cooling Station have different values - The ones the player can open all have -1 for Data4, 5, and 6, while the Z-Bot only doors have -430 for Data4, 2 for Data5 and 6, and 80 for Data7.
Hmm. Perhaps those are actually the true values? I'll see what happens if I alter my paths and add a fourth door to see if it works. I'll edit this as well when that is done! :)
EDIT: The results are in! This time gave me some interesting results.
Setting an auto door to those values actually makes it unable to be opened at all! It won't open for players, or ZBots. Quite strange.
EDIT2: To provide more information, the -1, 2, and 80 data autodoors are still openable by everyone. While the doors with the other values are just rock solid. Perhaps they make the doors like gates since they have a color value?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rawr.
epicdude15
Rainbow Master

Post by epicdude15 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Can anybody give me help? I'm really confused... Maybe a tutorial may help. Or just images.
R u Srs?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Well, what do you mean when you say the conversions aren't working? Do the models not swap, does the game crash?

re: AutoDoors - I'm going to go take a look at them now, actually, this is really weird. :?
epicdude15
Rainbow Master

Post by epicdude15 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Models aren't swapping, they are staying as the ones in the game, it is odd, I did replace the file.
R u Srs?
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 pm

epicdude15 wrote:Models aren't swapping, they are staying as the ones in the game, it is odd, I did replace the file.
To add on, this also happened to be when, surprisingly. Using a MOFI Wop, I tried replacing my zap bots with UFOs (Retro UFO to be precise) and they came out as flying brown scritters that span. Either it's a problem with the MOFI wop itself, or a problem with the conversion data for PoTZ (Perhaps that explains it, but I never looked at that file.)
Rawr.
epicdude15
Rainbow Master

Post by epicdude15 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm still very confused on what to do, but i'll have to stop here, I need to go to school.
R u Srs?