32nd Adventure: Stinkarnus-X

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Post Reply
User avatar
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

32nd Adventure: Stinkarnus-X

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:34 pm

You'll need Master Wonder Mage's Music Pack V4 or higher to hear all the music in this adventure!

===The Terby Trilogy===
Part 1: Pretty Flower's Plot
Part 2: Medical Care
Part 3: Stinkarnus-X

Sorry this took so long, but here it is!

At the end of part 2, we made several big discoveries. Pretty Flower was disguised as Burntmeat all along, and the monster rampaging around the thwart hospital has just transformed into Professor Terby! You don't know what it all means, but one thing is certain: you're fighting for more than Burntmeat's life, now!

I'm pretty proud of the way this adventure turned out. I tried to make the puzzle one of my hardest, and I think I pretty much succeeded (even though I took some inspiration from the first puzzle in Medical Care). I hope you enjoy it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by yot yot5 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:03 pm

Post by Lucky-Luc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:59 pm

:shock:

This would obviously be easy to do using the Q-Spell glitch, but so far I am puzzled how to do it properly. Not asking for hints just yet, just a quick note that I'm working on it ;)
User avatar
samuelthx
Rainbow Master
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:44 am

Post by samuelthx » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 am

Gah. I can't seem to see where the misdirection is!
I had to use the Star Magic glitch to complete this level, but it gives me no satisfaction at all.
Don't spoil anything yet though, I'll continue working on this puzzler ;)
User avatar
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Just a shout out to everyone: the solution to this adventure does NOT require use of the infinite magic glitch, wall-blinking, or any other cheap tricks.

But it's still a pretty complex solution. :lol:
User avatar
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:03 pm

Post by Lucky-Luc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:47 pm

I did it!! :D :D

It all makes sense now. What a fantastic puzzle! I love the way everything comes together in the end.

I've been on the right track for some time, but there were still a lot of realizations I needed to have before I could fit all the pieces together. Probably even harder if you're not an adventure designer yourself. Thinking about why things are there helps, though.

Even though I didn't do so myself last time, I would've still liked a spy-eye. That's the only point of criticism, though.

Plot: The beginning was really neat. The end was also quite good thanks to My Arm ;) .

So yeah, thanks for this adventure! :D I haven't played that much of your adventures, but I think you keep getting better. Looking forward to what's still to come!

(by the way, I never expected this would need glitches. Trying it was purely an act of desperation ;) )
User avatar
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Lucky-Luc wrote:Thinking about why things are there helps, though.
Yes, definitely. I was thinking about making even more misdirection (especially in the first area), but I decided it was hard enough as it was.
Lucky-Luc wrote:Even though I didn't do so myself last time, I would've still liked a spy-eye. That's the only point of criticism, though.
Yeah, you're probably right there.
Lucky-Luc wrote:Plot: The beginning was really neat. The end was also quite good thanks to My Arm ;) .
:lol:
Lucky-Luc wrote:So yeah, thanks for this adventure! :D I haven't played that much of your adventures, but I think you keep getting better. Looking forward to what's still to come!
Thanks for the review! I probably won't be uploading another adventure until the POTZ editor is released, but you never know... :wink:
User avatar
samuelthx
Rainbow Master
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:44 am

Post by samuelthx » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:45 am

Hey yotyot,
Although I haven't legit finished this level, I have some feedback.
level breaker wrote:You might want to make the last passageway a tiny bit longer. This level could well be mistaken for an action level. ;)
EDIT: Unless the solution is that simple? :shock:
User avatar
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 am

samuelthx wrote:Hey yotyot,
Although I haven't legit finished this level, I have some feedback.
level breaker wrote:You might want to make the last passageway a tiny bit longer. This level could well be mistaken for an action level. ;)
EDIT: Unless the solution is that simple? :shock:
I'm sorry, have you actually made it down that passageway without getting shot? I tried for ages and couldn't do it... :?
User avatar
samuelthx
Rainbow Master
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:44 am

Post by samuelthx » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 pm

yot yot5 wrote:
samuelthx wrote:Hey yotyot,
Although I haven't legit finished this level, I have some feedback.
level breaker wrote:You might want to make the last passageway a tiny bit longer. This level could well be mistaken for an action level. ;)
EDIT: Unless the solution is that simple? :shock:
I'm sorry, have you actually made it down that passageway without getting shot? I tried for ages and couldn't do it... :?
Yep, I managed to do it. 8)
I guess those custom action adventures on the forum really helped me...
The method is to simply "distract" Terby by moving up and down near the entrance of the last passageway, before rushing in to the passageway. It's an action level move, really, and would thus require a number of tries. :P
It's a pity I haven't found the intended solution yet--I seem obsessed with alternate solutions :cry: :roll:
User avatar
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 pm

samuelthx wrote:Yep, I managed to do it. 8)
I guess those custom action adventures on the forum really helped me...
The method is to simply "distract" Terby by moving up and down near the entrance of the last passageway, before rushing in to the passageway. It's an action level move, really, and would thus require a number of tries. :P
It's a pity I haven't found the intended solution yet--I seem obsessed with alternate solutions :cry: :roll:
Wow. I'm honestly impressed.

I'll reupload a new version as soon as possible!

EDIT: All done. Please redownload the new version if you want to find the proper solution!
User avatar
samuelthx
Rainbow Master
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:44 am

Post by samuelthx » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:26 pm

yot yot5 wrote:EDIT: All done. Please redownload the new version if you want to find the proper solution!
Yay! I've finished this adventure!
HUGE SPOILER wrote:I personally found the misdirection a little unfair due to the Thwart commands but...oh well.
Things got really easy after I figured out that trick.

Thanks for this puzzle! This was a fine blend of logic and action. :)
User avatar
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by yot yot5 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:09 pm

samuelthx wrote:
HUGE SPOILER wrote:I personally found the misdirection a little unfair due to the Thwart commands but...oh well.
I don't think it's unfair at all. There are only 3 NPC move commands in the puzzle, and it's obvious where are they all are (because you see Terby move after you push each one).
User avatar
samuelthx
Rainbow Master
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:44 am

Post by samuelthx » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:59 am

yot yot5 wrote:I don't think it's unfair at all. There are only 3 NPC move commands in the puzzle, and it's obvious where are they all are (because you see Terby move after you push each one).
Oops. I think you misunderstood my post due to my lack of clarity. :oops:
Thing is, I realised that that Terby would not move if I did not shoot him across the room. Not being a level designer, I didn't have complete understanding over Commands, and I thought that Terby would be stuck there forever. So I discarded the idea at first and opted for the action method. But when things got desperate, I finally got it!
And so that was what I found unfair.
User avatar
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:10 am

samuelthx wrote:
Thing is, I realised that that Terby would not move if I did not shoot him across the room. Not being a level designer, I didn't have complete understanding over Commands, and I thought that Terby would be stuck there forever. So I discarded the idea at first and opted for the action method. But when things got desperate, I finally got it!
Oh, I get it! You used the spring to "eliminate" the effect of the first NPC move button! That's very clever, but once again, not the right solution. I've already uploaded another version for you.

Sorry about all these loopholes!
User avatar
samuelthx
Rainbow Master
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:44 am

Post by samuelthx » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 pm

yot yot5 wrote:Oh, I get it! You used the spring to "eliminate" the effect of the first NPC move button! That's very clever, but once again, not the right solution. I've already uploaded another version for you.

Sorry about all these loopholes!
Oh. And I thought my solution was the intended one!
I've finished this puzzle. Just to check with you:
spoilers wrote:The misdirection lies in the key puzzle right?
Apparently my glitch solution shook something loose in my brain, and I finally figured it all out. (My solution was so close! :P )

Thanks once again! :D You have a flair for hiding things in plain sight.

P.s. Sorry for making you revise so many different versions! I think that there's nothing wrong with alternate solutions (unless they are too simple), but each to his own.

EDIT: Lucky-Luc, could you tell me/PM me about the Q-Spell glitch?
User avatar
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Yep, you've got it now! Well done for solving it! :D
User avatar
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:03 pm

Post by Lucky-Luc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 pm

yot yot5 wrote:Oh, I get it! You used the spring to "eliminate" the effect of the first NPC move button! That's very clever, but once again, not the right solution. I've already uploaded another version for you.

Sorry about all these loopholes!
Wait a second - that's not the intended solution? But it was so beautiful! :lol:

I see what is intended now, that's actually a bit simpler than I thought. For some reason, I combined both solutions into a single one; don't ask me why. This also means my solution still works in the new version, but I don't think this needs to be fixed, as it just buys you a little more time.

About the Q-Spell trick: It's something that was discovered during MOFI beta-testing, forgotten again and rediscovered during POTZ beta testing and named after Qloof for finding it (the second time). I thought this was already public, but maybe it has just gotten another name. I'll PM you.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5552
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:33 pm

As far as I know, Q-Spell in its current incarnation was never made public.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Post Reply