I really, really, REALLY need help......

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

I really, really, REALLY need help......

Post by tooncool64 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:24 pm

So, I have been trying to make good levels, but they always turn out cruddy. Just look at master wonder mages reviews. They are right on the spot. It's hard for me to make good content tho. Does anyone have any help for me? I have CAS, Cruddy Adventure Syndrome. :oops:
Currently playing WSW.

"Please wait, we are loading the game."
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:36 pm

The problem of your levels is that they are just empty. To make your levels better, again, fill them with puzzles and action. Make use of the many monsters, buttons, magic, bridges, transporters, gates, scritters... etc.

So far your adventures had little to no content. You need more content in your levels.

Also check this topic for ideas to how to make your adventures hard/ more complicated.
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Practice, Tooncool. :mrgreen:

Back when I used the original editor, perhaps two or three years ago, I made more basic, easy levels, myself. No decoration.

Though, I never uploaded them to the forums; I'd not mind uploading my very first adventure though, so this topic gave me an idea. :D

Any how, I eventually just didn't use the editor for a year, and then started using it again around the time I joined the forums.
From then, I made somewhat better levels. :D

Though... to be honest, it did take me two entire pseudo-hubs to learn not to make things too tedious...
and even then, I still do. :?
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 pm

I Have a question, does anyone know how I can make a spell generator?
Currently playing WSW.

Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:14 pm

I gather from your adventures so far, that like me you prefer story-telling in your adventures to actual puzzles. However, Wonderland Adventures sort of requires some puzzles in its nature. I generally use puzzles in two ways: filler and events. "Filler" puzzles serve to create a space of time between important occurrences. For these I tend to use more stock puzzles such as basic gate/button puzzles, transporter puzzles, etc. This slows the plot down and keeps it from feeling rushed. Events are the challenges story-tellers will prefer to make. These will include chase scenes, bosses, etc. These will allow the player to feel more immersed in the story. For instance, instead of in your most recent adventure simply teleporting the player into a jail cell after some dialog, you could have a series of rooms the player has to run through, under pressure from chompers, until he eventually escapes only to be ambushed by thwarts who drag you into jail.

In terms of decoration, try to add walls, water, etc. as well as decoration objects in reasonable places to your rooms. Again using the jail cell as an example, you could instead of just building a large square room, build a series of small cells, one of which the player is trapped in. You could even put other Stinkers in other cells if you so chose, which would give you potential NPCs to use in later adventures in the series. Also, be sure to make walls have wall logic; most of your adventures so far have given them floor logic, making every wall in the adventure possible to walk through. You will also want to put wall logic floors under some decorative objects such as houses, since the player can by default walk through them.

Your adventures are also far too short if they're going to have minimal puzzles. All your adventures so far have given you a simple starting circumstance then segued almost immediately into the cliffhanger. Again using your latest adventure, you start out teleporting into the creepy keep. There are some thwarts there who apparently worship some sort of god. You might be "sacrificed", but then you go on, learn the god is an ice troll, and get thrown in jail, and that's the end. If you are going to focus on the story of an adventure, this is VERY basic. You'll notice in movies and tv shows, you have not just a couple of events, but a long series of build-ups leading to a reveal or other resolution. Even in a children's show, this still applies. For instance, in Dora the Explorer, 3 challenges must be overcome, building up to whatever resolution it has. You could have made a long journey through the Creepy Keep leading up to the reveal that the worshiped god is an ice troll. However, everything happens far too quickly for this reveal to mean anything to us. The reveal to the mystery happens before there's much of a mystery to have.

One of the most important parts of a story are the characters. In your adventures, there have not been any allies at all, only the antagonists. Additionally, antagonists must have motivation to do what they do. It is never simply enough to make them do evil things because they're evil, unless you can sufficiently paint them as psycho. In fact, villains are often stronger when they have noble, or at least sympathetic motivations. Note that you don't have to make their motivations clear from the beginning, and you will almost never want to have them straight-out say why they are doing what they do, and they should certainly never be constantly reminding you of their motivations. However, their motivations should paint most of their actions, and be kept in mind by the creator at all times.

If I think of any more advice, I'll post it.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Sure, place the spell generation thing that looks like a white ball under "magics", somewhere,
set its destination coordinates,
set its ID,
place it,
add a "general command" that looks like an X under buttons
(not the ones near the rotators, the one between normal and colour-changing buttons),
make sure it's active,
chose whether you want it repeatable or not,
chose "1" under CMD/Command,
chose the ID of the spell as Data1,
place that somewhere,
save, exit, and test it. :D

I hope that helps. :mrgreen:
You can summon spell balls via other means, though, such as through dialogue's CMD.

tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:35 pm

I have a couple other questions,
1. Can other enties activate general commands?
2. How do you add visual stuff to dialogues
3. How do you model swap
4. How can a write myself out of the corner I put myself in?
Currently playing WSW.

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Link to the Problem

Post by Jutomi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:44 pm

tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Thx Man.
Currently playing WSW.