Please help!: Unable to run wa3e player

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Please help!: Unable to run wa3e player

Post by samuelthx » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:32 pm

So I got a new computer (specs here ). It was preloaded with Windows 8.1.
After I downloaded the editor and tried to open the player, the error message in the attached picture appeared. (The editor worked fine, though). I tried updating my drivers, but the program still would not open. Desperate, I upgraded to Windows 10, but the same problem still persists. :(

Any tips? I've updated my NVIDIA driver and installed all the possible updates (Windows Upate and HP Support Assistant etc etc). I don't know if downgrading to Windows 7 is an option at all, since it came preloaded with 8.1, but I would like to avoid that option unless all else fails.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi! Congratulations for your new personal computer, I wish you the best experience with this desktop. :D

While I was checking your specifications, I noticed that your processor is Intel, along with it's integrated graphics (Intel® Core™ i7-4790 with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (3.6 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)). This probably means you also have a graphics' options for Intel.

I suggest you right-click player.exe and select "Run with graphics processor" then click on "Integrated Graphics"; if it didn't work, try running it as administrator. Tell me what happens until then.

Note: you must pick player.exe first so that wg.exe can adjust it's resolution to the one you would like to pick, wg.exe didn't work the first time I ran it.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:39 pm

This kind of error means that the graphics card is incompatible or there are missing drivers. I don't know what to do though, I guess you could reinstall the graphics drivers entirely, maybe it'll work.

Also, if you want to downgrade to 7 (if that ever happens), you can only do this if you have a BIOS (instead of the modern UEFI). If when you boot, you see the HP logo with the loading circle, then it most likely means you have UEFI.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm

ab-47 wrote:I suggest you right-click player.exe and select "Run with graphics processor" then click on "Integrated Graphics"; if it didn't work, try running it as administrator. Tell me what happens until then.
Hi! Thanks for your reply!
When I right click, there isn't the option "Run with graphics processor" (picture attached). I tried running it as administrator, but the problem still persisted. I also tried using compatibility settings, but to no avail.

Any more tips? Thanks! :cry:

@garirry: yeah looks like downgrading is out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:43 am

Alright, I'm not 100% sure if this is the issue, but McAfee does cause a lot of trouble with Wonderland's game engine (Blitz3D); however, I doubt an antivirus can affect your graphics card. I suggest you check out Pawelec's antivirus thread: LINK

Make sure you have installed Microsoft's DirectX (latest version as well), since DirectX is the main program to run almost all PC games smoothly.

The following text field is copied from Wonderland Adventures 1 readme file, here's the important thing about it:
Readme wrote: 1. The game is running slow!
----------------------------
Wonderland is designed to run on even lower-end Pentium
systems, provided that they have a fairly recent graphics
card. Here are some options if your system meets the
minimum requirements, but the game still runs slow. Try
changing to a lower resolution. Also make sure that you have
no programs running in the background of your system,
such spyware programs. Check out www.lavasoft.de for Ad-Aware,
a program that checks your system for such malicious software.
Finally, ensure that you do not have a virus that might
be affecting your system .

2. The game doesn't run at all!
-------------------------------
Ensure that you have the latest DirectX drivers. You can
download them at www.microsoft.com/directx for free. Also
make sure that your video- and sound-card drivers are up to
date. Visit the manufacturers website for updates. Check
for viruses and spyware (see above). If all else fails,
contact us via e-mail and include a detailed description
of the problem and your system specifications.
I hope this helps, goodluck. :)
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:03 pm

ab-47 wrote:Make sure you have installed Microsoft's DirectX (latest version as well), since DirectX is the main program to run almost all PC games smoothly.
Actually this is not what Blitz3D needs. Try installing the latest DirectX 9 libraries (9.0c if I remember correctly). I'm quite surprised it causes troubles on Windows 10, it has very good backward-compatibility, which was much improved from Windows 8.1. Uninstall McCrapee... erm, I meant McAfee, if you have any of their products.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:59 am

I'm sorry for not replying to this topic. I actually resolved the problem months ago. Turns out the problem was a faulty graphics card. Thanks a lot, Hewlett Packard :x :roll: