custom textures using png plz?

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Creeperpasta
Gold Wonderlander

custom textures using png plz?

Post by Creeperpasta » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:23 pm

So it depresses me that I can't do transparent objects for custom models, since custom models use jpgs, which is a nightmare for me. I'm a png guy, but it can be dealt with...

...so far...

... Until trees were of utmost importance. And Ideas for tube decors.

It's weird that the in-game models that use wlf textures can remove the black colour set to 0,0,0 and yet the models can't.. ;_; cries... No more custom trees then... Unless you guys know of a way? Unless I've missed some important notes about it? Thanks for the concern in advance X)
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:46 pm

unless you have the game's code you can't use png transparent with custom textures
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:59 pm

You still can use the old texture path method, which supports the (0,0,0) transparency.

If you're concerned about the quality you can rename a PNG to JPG extension, the game will read the texture correctly. I do that with almost all of my textures.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
Creeperpasta
Gold Wonderlander

Wait...

Post by Creeperpasta » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:21 pm

:shock: Wait, you mean replace the 'ol texture file in wlf? I'm quite aware that works, but it requires file replacement, which affects all objects that use the texture... Unless you mean another method? I'm not exactly sure I follow what you mean. X(

I've tried messing with the hex editor and changing the required extension to png, and so it seems it doesn't work with alpha channels (I'm sure this is a D'oh for the advanced users, please bear with me).

Last resort would be Power Wop, though I'll still end up using the same model and get the same problem if it's the tree I'm working on..

Right now, I've tried splicing(I like this term more than swapping) custom barrels with other types, and I haven't had any luck since Rainbow bubbles. It's not even a great Idea to use this method since it will affect the entire object and it's interaction.

But it is kinda awesome if I can import custom models that behave like chompers, ghosts and all that.

EDIT:
So it seems that Portal Warp's translucency is not influenced by the wop parameter, but it goes most likely within the wd3 file. I tried messing with the object type, but it doesn't seem to affect the barrel.

Overall, it would still be quite neat-o if the game read png's alpha channels. Though, I do understand that could be menial with programming, so, I'll just bear with the portal warp tube for now.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:06 am

What? No file replacements are needed, if you don't need objects changing colour then you can enable TextureName parameter in PowerWOP and type relative texture paths (wg.exe directory is the root, file extensions are mandatory) in the Editor. PNGs and BMP support 0,0,0 transparency, but no alpha channels (this may be due to the Blitz3D version of WA using DX6).
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
Creeperpasta
Gold Wonderlander

Pawelec...

Post by Creeperpasta » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:10 am

:shock: Pawelec, that is amazeballs! I'm gonna try this out real quick! Thank you very much!

UPDATE: Whoa, so it works! X) THIS IS RAD! I can't believe it, but it is possible! Though, it doesn't show up in the editor :( that's one. But it works! Really, I owe you tons!