The Magical Tests - Hub rebuild from the ground up...

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

The Magical Tests - Hub rebuild from the ground up...

Post by RoberTime » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:33 am

The Magical Tests is some hub project I have left to rot for years.
It started when I used the hacked MoFI editor in 2011. Made 80 adventures until everything in there was scrapped over a broken computer. Fast-forward three years later, in Christmas of 2014, with the WA3 Editor available, I tried again using lesser amounts of adventures. But for some reason lost interest.

But now that I'm fully armed on the Ultimate Editon games collection, I have been wanting to rebuild this hub from the ground up, once again. Using the same amount of adventures as said in the first place: 160 of them! (160 medium-small adventures on average, actually). This time around, it will be much easier as we are no longer talking about a hacked editor, or complicated conversion just to flipping test a single adventure. This should be a breeze. (Of course I went through that in 2014, but just proving points here from older times)

Anyway, the plot is you are a different protagonist who enters the Wonderland Academy of Magic in a new VR test program (For spacial reasons). Each section of the program puts you in a specific learning course set to a single color of rainbow magic, and focuses on that one magic. I'll have you know that I designed this like Portal map design where each adventure in one course gets progressively bigger in size AND difficulty.

Anyhoo, I just started work on the hub project. It will be a very small overworld with several rooms, but what matters is the fact that I'm designing all these adventures. There has to be custom textures and even custom music. But I intend to have a non-custom-music version of the hub once I finish. I will also post some random adventures here and there for samples of what this hub will look like in the long run.

QUICK UPDATE EDIT: THE ADVENTURE AMOUNT HAS NOW BEEN HALVED - LOOK THREE POSTS BELOW FOR FULL INFO.

ADVENTURES FINISHED
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO

(12%)
Last edited by RoberTime on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: The Magical Tests - Hub rebuild from the ground up...

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Reading this, I feel motivated to finish FNAS once again...although FNAS seems really dated now.

Hope the project goes well!

EDIT: Wow, you're working fast!
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

Post by RoberTime » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks mate.

I have finished the first six adventures of the Floing course tonight. Again, fast as it sounds, but adventures get bigger and longer further in each course. Also, there is a small chance that I might cut down the adventure amount, judging by the fact that the Floing ones so far were a bit difficult to do, especially when I cannot use other spells that contradict with the course theme. But I'll see what I can do.

Screenshot of first adventure...

ONE OTHER THING OF INTEREST: I am open to a bit of community help by picking out names for each adventure. Just like what the devs of Runner 2 did with arbitrary but on-theme titles for their levels, which is exactly what I'm doing. It's simple, you give me name ideas, and I'll put them in somewhere in its proper course. PM or Discord DM me to keep surprises!

Subjects for names:
Floing/Red/Time
Pow/Orange/Fire
Pop/Yellow
Grow/Green/Plant
Brr/Blue/Ice
Flash/Indigo/Future
Blink/Purple/Teleport
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

Post by RoberTime » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:20 am

I know I'm pretty hasty here posting highly frequent updates, since I'm enjoying designing adventures for this hub, but I have decided to halve the entire set of adventures considering how things have been doing the Floing course. As I didn't have any good ideas for just that magic alone (I mean, you can get away with many complex adventure gimmicks with Floing plus additional magics, which I'll save for later in the hub, hint hint!)

Which means I have finished the all-Floing portion of the hub, and will move on to the Pow segment. Should be straight-forward, if not too repetitive. That was the thing, too. I was worried it would be too samey if I added extra adventures, because the same gimmicks is all I could think of in the long run for each course. Also I could talk about a habit of biting off more than I can chew, which happens for many of my projects, but I won't ramble too far.

In other words, I have recently released a sample hub from the Floing course, and will release others as I progress. Mind you, this here sample is meant to be further into the course, so it can be pretty difficult!
Clicky here.