Project Wonderland Adventures: At Wits End

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Jutomi wrote:Shocking. :shock:
Wait, did you translate it?
Don't come in contact with contaminants.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Nope; I don't know how...

but, still, the fact that you put a binary code into this is shocking.

Thinking about it...

can you actually decode this? ,_,
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Gonna work on those Errors.
Last edited by Koopson44 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Ahaaw, poor Krishiv; Is he actually banned, or is that just part of the storyline?

By the way, I think it is looking good so far. :D

Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 pm

I'm not part of the moderators, but i think so. But he is apart of the story line.
Also extending on wits end.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:16 am

Oh...

by the way, my regards, again, for your burial.

Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:22 am

heh thanks. Also what is the id and fn id for gloves?
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:26 am

Koopson44 wrote:I'm not part of the moderators, but i think so.
He's banned from Epigam. I'm pretty sure he's just refusing to post on pcpuzzle. MS is the one who bans people, anyway.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:39 am

Yeah, Krish isn't banned.

As for your hub... I'm going to be completely honest, I think you should work on honing your Editor skills before taking on something of this scale and complexity, as it seems you're still learning some of the basic functions. As-is, I noticed quite a few bugs:
  • - There's no solidity on the player's house at all, you can walk through the whole thing.
    - The last interchange of the starting dialogue can be repeated by stepping on and off the square the player starts on.
    - Stinky's dialogue starts over from the beginning if you talk to him more than once (I'm assuming this is due to adventure-related shenanigans that aren't finished)
    - The sign on the right of Jutomi has a blank interchange, meaning the player has to restart the adventure.
    - The conversation with the Codians has a blank interchange at the end. (sometimes at least? happened the first time but not the second, maybe the dialogue's checking if you have an item or not)
    - Peegue's dialogue loops repeatedly to the second interchange, leaving the player stuck.
    - The bridge has no solidity on its posts, and the part that's intact over water is unwalkable.
    - The stinker wearing a crown just repeats the first dialogue.
    - The large sign is only partially solid, the player can walk through the outer tiles it takes up.
    - There's at least one house and a windmill with no doors, but they can't be entered.
    - Trying to backtrack to the starting area flat-out crashes the game, as does leaving the Codian area (I'm guessing you haven't finished the next room yet).
    - Upon entering the second room, there's an explosion for no apparent reason?
In terms of other things:
  • - There's far too much empty space, insofar as both not enough scenery and levels just being too large.
    - Using the outer "edge" of tiles as something other than walls doesn't look very good, and can lead to bugs related to spellballs, at least.
    - Almost every single tile is a square/smooth edge. For one thing, this looks very unnatural considering the area's supposed to be Wonderfalls, and there are a handful of tiles that are jagged, which looks off.
    - All the NPCs have the same eye/shoe colours, and the same greeting voice clip.
    - Some of the NPCs don't turn to look at the player, they just stand there staring south.
    - While it's not a bug or really a big deal at the moment, your dialogue is full of grammar and punctuation issues.
    - All of the paths are just an abrupt cut to the "path" texture, which doesn't look too good.
Having said all that, I have to say: My biggest problem here is the story you're aiming for, or rather, how you're delivering it. I don't inherently have any issues with the inclusion of forum members in it (though to be honest I'd personally appreciate being asked first).

What I take issue with is the fact you've made Krishiv the antagonist. I think that's taking things too far - I mean, yes, I'll fully agree that his behaviour was/is ridiculous, but I don't think something like this - essentially mocking him - is a good thing. I'm aware there have been other adventures made that involved poking fun at other forum members (or at least, I seem to recall some like that a long time ago), but I don't think that's comparable.

The thing is, the adventures in question were generally entirely satirical. They existed purely for laughs. What you've done here seems to be playing it straight, especially with the inclusion of other characters who are acting in a "normal" manner. In my opinion, playing it straight like this is really close to crossing the line between "poking fun at" and "making fun of", which isn't cool, despite how Krishiv's been acting.

Before anyone says anything, yeah, I remember full well what I said about how being polite only goes so far. That's not the point here - Responding to inappropriate behaviour with more inappropriate behaviour (i.e. taking stabs at someone, which I'd argue this counts as) is a waste of time and effort, and only makes things worse (don't fight fire with fire).

The core story itself, I don't have an issue with. What bugs me is the way you're using forum members - that is to say, Krishiv - to carry it.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:44 am

Qloof234 wrote:Yeah, Krish isn't banned.

As for your hub... I'm going to be completely honest, I think you should work on honing your Editor skills before taking on something of this scale and complexity, as it seems you're still learning some of the basic functions. As-is, I noticed quite a few bugs:
  • - There's no solidity on the player's house at all, you can walk through the whole thing.
    - The last interchange of the starting dialogue can be repeated by stepping on and off the square the player starts on.
    - Stinky's dialogue starts over from the beginning if you talk to him more than once (I'm assuming this is due to adventure-related shenanigans that aren't finished)
    - The sign on the right of Jutomi has a blank interchange, meaning the player has to restart the adventure.
    - The conversation with the Codians has a blank interchange at the end. (sometimes at least? happened the first time but not the second, maybe the dialogue's checking if you have an item or not)
    - Peegue's dialogue loops repeatedly to the second interchange, leaving the player stuck.
    - The bridge has no solidity on its posts, and the part that's intact over water is unwalkable.
    - The stinker wearing a crown just repeats the first dialogue.
    - The large sign is only partially solid, the player can walk through the outer tiles it takes up.
    - There's at least one house and a windmill with no doors, but they can't be entered.
    - Trying to backtrack to the starting area flat-out crashes the game, as does leaving the Codian area (I'm guessing you haven't finished the next room yet).
    - Upon entering the second room, there's an explosion for no apparent reason?
In terms of other things:
  • - There's far too much empty space, insofar as both not enough scenery and levels just being too large.
    - Using the outer "edge" of tiles as something other than walls doesn't look very good, and can lead to bugs related to spellballs, at least.
    - Almost every single tile is a square/smooth edge. For one thing, this looks very unnatural considering the area's supposed to be Wonderfalls, and there are a handful of tiles that are jagged, which looks off.
    - All the NPCs have the same eye/shoe colours, and the same greeting voice clip.
    - Some of the NPCs don't turn to look at the player, they just stand there staring south.
    - While it's not a bug or really a big deal at the moment, your dialogue is full of grammar and punctuation issues.
    - All of the paths are just an abrupt cut to the "path" texture, which doesn't look too good.
Having said all that, I have to say: My biggest problem here is the story you're aiming for, or rather, how you're delivering it. I don't inherently have any issues with the inclusion of forum members in it (though to be honest I'd personally appreciate being asked first).

What I take issue with is the fact you've made Krishiv the antagonist. I think that's taking things too far - I mean, yes, I'll fully agree that his behaviour was/is ridiculous, but I don't think something like this - essentially mocking him - is a good thing. I'm aware there have been other adventures made that involved poking fun at other forum members (or at least, I seem to recall some like that a long time ago), but I don't think that's comparable.

The thing is, the adventures in question were generally entirely satirical. They existed purely for laughs. What you've done here seems to be playing it straight, especially with the inclusion of other characters who are acting in a "normal" manner. In my opinion, playing it straight like this is really close to crossing the line between "poking fun at" and "making fun of", which isn't cool, despite how Krishiv's been acting.

Before anyone says anything, yeah, I remember full well what I said about how being polite only goes so far. That's not the point here - Responding to inappropriate behaviour with more inappropriate behaviour (i.e. taking stabs at someone, which I'd argue this counts as) is a waste of time and effort, and only makes things worse (don't fight fire with fire).

The core story itself, I don't have an issue with. What bugs me is the way you're using forum members - that is to say, Krishiv - to carry it.
Thank you. I will get right to it. Sigh maybe making this hub wasn't such a good idea. :(
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 am

Im debating whether or not to shut this project down. Anyone agree? :(
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:49 am

I wouldn't say making this was a bad idea, it's experience under your belt. What I was trying to say when it comes to learning the Editor is that it'd be a good idea to make smaller adventures to get a feel for how elements interact and how things work, because when it comes down to it, a Hub will almost certainly require a large amount of "behind-the-scenes" work.

For instance, with HR a lot of the hub-related work I've done is less actually making areas and more checking to see that the events actually run properly (i.e. an NPC's dialogue does what it's supposed to, changes if it's supposed to, gates that should open after something happens actually open, etc.). The adventures themselves often require very little of that, even when they are a bit more involved.

I didn't mean to discourage you, sorry if it came across that way. :(
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:54 am

Yeah, it's a lot of work. I do hope that you'll make a hub for us eventually, but doing it this soon after you're learning the editor isn't a good idea. Make some test levels, see to it that you've really gotten the hang of it, and then start the hub. (But make sure to test it, and maybe even ask if anyone on the forum is interested in testing. :wink: )
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:55 am

Nah its fine. It is 1:00 am after all :roll:
Im gonna study the editor!... Tomorrow. :lol:
Inspirational music cue
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Part of the reason i used forum members was because im not very good at making names. The name of the villan is 01011000 Translates to X. Thats my prefered nickname back when i was in school.
Error checklist
X - There's no solidity on the player's house at all, you can walk through the whole thing.
X - The last interchange of the starting dialogue can be repeated by stepping on and off the square the player starts on.
X Stinky's dialogue starts over from the beginning if you talk to him more than once (I'm assuming this is due to adventure-related shenanigans that aren't finished)
X- The sign on the right of Jutomi has a blank interchange, meaning the player has to restart the adventure.
X - The conversation with the Codians has a blank interchange at the end. (sometimes at least? happened the first time but not the second, maybe the dialogue's checking if you have an item or not)
X - Peegue's dialogue loops repeatedly to the second interchange, leaving the player stuck.
X - The bridge has no solidity on its posts, and the part that's intact over water is unwalkable.
X - The stinker wearing a crown just repeats the first dialogue.
X - The large sign is only partially solid, the player can walk through the outer tiles it takes up.
X - There's at least one house and a windmill with no doors, but they can't be entered.
X - Trying to backtrack to the starting area flat-out crashes the game, as does leaving the Codian area (I'm guessing you haven't finished the next room yet).
X - Upon entering the second room, there's an explosion for no apparent reason?
Last edited by Koopson44 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:05 pm

I hope you're not using binary names for every one of the Codians, that would be annoying to remember.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:10 pm

No. For the rest im using actual names. You are one of them. Also im not letting this end up like wizards council.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Koopson44 wrote:No. For the rest im using actual names. You are one of them.
whaaaa
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Nobody wrote:
Koopson44 wrote:No. For the rest im using actual names. You are one of them.
whaaaa
wait i didnt sign up for this

GET OFF MY PROPERTY :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Really? You are not portrayed in a bad way. :?
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Koopson44 wrote:Really? You are not portrayed in a bad way. :?
i'd rather not be in something without my permission
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Oh i thought you were ss01. Yeah i dont think you are in it. :l
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm in it..? Well, uh, okay. I wish you asked me beforehand though.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Come on, can't you make up names? Something like Xazoolex (meaningless) or Daoler... (Reload backwards)

Using forum names (especially without permission) is tacky and they (usually) don't even sound weird enough to fit the supposedly mysterious Codians. :?
Last edited by Muzozavr on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Yeah sorry bout that. If you want i can change it. :oops:
Changed. Kept jutomi cause he gave me permition
I made a vow to myself that i wouldn't give up. I'm not letting a few Slip-ups get in my way... (Twitch)
Heheh I'll tell ya, i was thinkin about givin up on this project. BUT NO! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:13 am

Alright. Question time. Who thinks this is a bad idea? Who thinks this is a good idea? There is no doing it later. I WILL forget.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 am

I don't think it was a bad idea at all. Honest thoughts:

I like the idea you've got for a story here, it sounds interesting. I'll admit I'm a bit uncertain as to how introducing player characters as NPCs will work, but that doesn't mean it's inherently a bad idea. Same with giving the player character an in-story name (which, once again, not a bad idea, you just need to be able to pull it off).

Really, the critical thing here is that you know how to use the Editor so you don't get overwhelmed. I can't rightly tell you how much you should know beforehand, as I think that's the kind of thing that differs per person (even in making HR I've still found new tidbits about the Editor here and there, whether it's something I need to work around or something I can use or whatever).

Basically, what I'm saying is, if you think you can do this, then by all means, go for it. I'd simply recommend making sure you're used to the Editor before jumping into something like this, as Hubs take a lot more work than just regular levels (I think in one issue of the Midnight Post, Patrick commented that working on MoFI or WA1 needed about 3 times as much effort as working on the classic trilogy, which I'm inclined to agree with).
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:49 am

Qloof234 wrote:I don't think it was a bad idea at all. Honest thoughts:

I like the idea you've got for a story here, it sounds interesting. I'll admit I'm a bit uncertain as to how introducing player characters as NPCs will work, but that doesn't mean it's inherently a bad idea. Same with giving the player character an in-story name (which, once again, not a bad idea, you just need to be able to pull it off).

Really, the critical thing here is that you know how to use the Editor so you don't get overwhelmed. I can't rightly tell you how much you should know beforehand, as I think that's the kind of thing that differs per person (even in making HR I've still found new tidbits about the Editor here and there, whether it's something I need to work around or something I can use or whatever).

Basically, what I'm saying is, if you think you can do this, then by all means, go for it. I'd simply recommend making sure you're used to the Editor before jumping into something like this, as Hubs take a lot more work than just regular levels (I think in one issue of the Midnight Post, Patrick commented that working on MoFI or WA1 needed about 3 times as much effort as working on the classic trilogy, which I'm inclined to agree with).

Yeah you are right. I just get these parts of each day where i get depressed.
Last edited by Koopson44 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:28 pm

So I'm working on studying the editor. Also Emerald141s guide doesn't say what the id for items are.