THE PREMIER: The Beginning of a New Error

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

THE PREMIER: The Beginning of a New Error

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Here comes Level 1 of my new storyline. Some old characters have been recycled, and the player's new ally with her quirky ways and some other bizarre entities have appeared.

There are a few potential glitches in here, most of which I couldn't fix. Just remember not to get too big a bag too soon, and don't go back across the river near the end of the adventure.

A short look into the next parts of the series (names are subject to change):
1. (This one) The Beginning of a New Error
2. Terrorble Temple
3. Dream Cavern
4. Into The Town, Into the Fire
5. Evil King Rises

You will also need to put in the textures below into a folder named 'Custom' you need to make if you haven't yet.

Enjoy! :)

EDIT: 'Fixed' version released.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wonderman109 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:43 pm

Its amazing!
Though i can't get past the 1st screen. It says it can't find the custom/backround abstract. Here is a picture of my files.
Last edited by Koopson44 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't come in contact with contaminants.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:17 am

It needs to go under:
waeditor300\custom
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:21 am

Koopson44 wrote:Its amazing!
Though i can't get past the 1st screen. It says it can't find the custom/backround abstract. Here is a picture of my files.
Are you sure you want to include your email address in that screenshot? If I were you, I'd edit it in Photoshop or something to "censor" it, then edit your post to add the new image file.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:30 am

Wonderland King wrote:
Koopson44 wrote:Its amazing!
Are you sure you want to include your email address in that screenshot? If I were you, I'd edit it in Photoshop or something to "censor" it, then edit your post to add the new image file.
That isn't my email, but I don't need the picture anymore.
Nevermind that didn't change it.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:44 am

jdl wrote:It needs to go under:
waeditor300\custom
you mean in the userdata folder?
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:57 am

You put the files in a folder called custom. This custom folder is a folder you create in the same folder as "wg.exe" and "player.exe". Also make sure the files have spaces instead of underscores ('_').
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:58 am

jdl wrote:You put the files in a folder called custom. This custom folder is a folder you create in the same folder as "wg.exe" and "player.exe". Also make sure the files have spaces instead of underscores ('_').
Thats the problem. The underscores.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:04 am

It can also be 'Custom' or 'CUSTOM'. I use 'Custom.'
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:11 am

Wonderman109 wrote:It can also be 'Custom' or 'CUSTOM'. I use 'Custom.'
So far its great! Of course i am onlyon the very beginning of the 2nd screen.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:12 pm

A quick notice that I'm working on this gargantuan level of yours.
Just so I don't need to restart the adventure,
help me wrote:For the main area I need to change all the gate colours to white, right? Are any further changes required later on?
BTW I love the name! :lol: The tree suction tubes look awesome, too!
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm working on the ice/rainbow coin/Ice Wraith room. The Ice Wraiths add a layer of artificial difficulty that the puzzle really doesn't need. The WA1E era is over and save/load spam isn't fun. Other than that, this is a very impressive adventure so far. Your scenery is awesome as usual. :)
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:14 pm

samuelthx wrote:A quick notice that I'm working on this gargantuan level of yours.
Just so I don't need to restart the adventure,
help me wrote:For the main area I need to change all the gate colours to white, right? Are any further changes required later on?
BTW I love the name! :lol: The tree suction tubes look awesome, too!
1. It's not that big physically at fifteen levels, but it does take ME an hour to solve.

2. Yes, once you open the brown-lined gates with the white button, the other buttons are irrelevant.

3. They're rock suction tubes, and don't you forget! I'll be using more of them in future levels.
MyNameIsKooky wrote:I'm working on the ice/rainbow coin/Ice Wraith room. The Ice Wraiths add a layer of artificial difficulty that the puzzle really doesn't need. The WA1E era is over and save/load spam isn't fun. Other than that, this is a very impressive adventure so far. Your scenery is awesome as usual. :)
1. The Wraiths aren't fake difficulty, although they are indeed annoying. They actually create half the puzzle by forcing you to not take paths to close to or through the centre and requiring you to time carefully.

2. Actually, the scenery isn't that hard. Arguably, the only scenery that took me a lot of time was the first wlv's.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:33 am

I'm stuck at the southwest corner of the "talking signs" room. I have no idea how to get the Moobots to stay put on the circle buttons. :cry:
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Spoiler wrote: The Moobots need to land on their respective buttons at the exact same time. Order, shot distance, and your stinker's position are important.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Spoiler wrote: The Moobots need to land on their respective buttons at the exact same time. Order, shot distance, and your stinker's position are important.
okay i give up
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Spoiler wrote: I stand below the entrance to the next room, right at the waterline, and Pop in order purple, blue, indigo, green. You need to be fast moving the cursor so the purple one doesn't move at the end, but not so fast that the blue one moves instead. Don't give up, it's perfectly possible!
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I just have one white key left to get. Unfortunately it's behind the northmost Chomper in the "hub" area and I don't have an orange key to get the second Pow charger. I do have a random green key though that I haven't used yet. Am I completely stuck, or...?
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:01 am

I have no idea how you managed to get and keep a green key, (didn't the swamp area require you to use it?) but if you want the second orange key, make sure you check under the trees in the Weird Signs area that was troubling you so much. Assuming the one you already used is from the last sign, because otherwise you're stuck.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:16 am

Great. Hiding important items behind random trees in an area you can't get back to. My favorite.

This adventure has its good parts, but I don't think I'll be replaying (or finishing) it anytime soon.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:48 am

MyNameIsKooky wrote:Great. Hiding important items behind random trees in an area you can't get back to.
You can't get back to it? I'm pretty sure the black gate stays open after you finish the puzzle. In any case, sorry if that made you lose.

Has anyone finished this yet? Or do I need to re-upload it with worse hiding places for the key(s)?
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:59 am

Okay, so from some freakish stroke of luck, the orange key I missed was right at the entrance of the "talking signs" room. I've completed the adventure with Gold with 71 minutes of gameplay. :shock:

I have pretty mixed feelings about this adventure.

In general: Playing this adventure was sort of stressful because I kept getting the feeling that I might have missed something in a place I couldn't return to. There were also several keys hidden behind trees, one of which was in an area that you couldn't return to after a point. Placing gems or coins or whatever in those locations is fine, but putting important items there can cause the player to waste a lot of time searching for the last few keys (especially if they missed the key that you couldn't get back to). However, the scenery is awesome and the dialogue is somewhat witty to boot.
Hub area: Throughout the whole adventure, I was kind of worried that I did something wrong here and would have to start over. I'd recommend not putting any actual puzzles in "hub" areas like this. Otherwise, it was cool.
Brr Float Lake: This was a pretty neat puzzle. It took me a little bit to figure out.
Brr Wraith Maze: This entire room was more irritating than anything. The ice puzzles themselves were good (at least in the Ice Wraith half), but I think that you easily could've replaced the Brr Wraiths with a 3x3 body of water and gotten about the same result without the annoying Brr spells. When backtracking, I NEVER would've guessed how to use the Pow had you not reported that bug. Personally, I'm not a fan of this bug since the timing is too finicky. Anyways, onto the top half of the room: The FireFlower and IceFlower area. This section was more trial and error than anything. You have to slide across the ice at a random time and just HOPE you don't get hit by a random spell. Yeah, I hated this wlv.
Acid Pools: This was a pretty cool puzzle. I didn't end up using the green gate at all though, and as a result, I had a spare green key at the end of the adventure.
Crab Land: BAH! CRABS! KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL! The puzzles here were quite original and I enjoyed them.
Talking Sign Place: Gotta love sentient signs. But as I said, I dislike important items being hidden behind trees. And those Moobots in the southwest corner... that was just pure, unadulterated TORTURE!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Random Kaboom!'s Lair: Really, was there any point to this area aside from "HAHA, I HOPE YOU DIDN'T GET TOO LARGE OF A BAG TOO SOON, OTHERWISE YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER!"?
Rainbow Coin Lake: This was pretty fun. Probably one of my favorite parts of this adventure.

So, uh, yeah. Good work creating such a massive adventure!
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:00 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:Okay, so from some freakish stroke of luck, the orange key I missed was right at the entrance of the "talking signs" room. I've completed the adventure with Gold with 71 minutes of gameplay. :shock:
Yes, I know it was too long. :P
MyNameIsKooky wrote: I have pretty mixed feelings about this adventure.

Well, I appreciate criticism so long as it's constructive. I always am wanting to improve my levels, and that's probably the best way.
MyNameIsKooky wrote: In general: Playing this adventure was sort of stressful because I kept getting the feeling that I might have missed something in a place I couldn't return to. There were also several keys hidden behind trees, one of which was in an area that you couldn't return to after a point. Placing gems or coins or whatever in those locations is fine, but putting important items there can cause the player to waste a lot of time searching for the last few keys (especially if they missed the key that you couldn't get back to). However, the scenery is awesome and the dialogue is somewhat witty to boot.
I think I'm going to re-upload this fixing that problem.
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Hub area: Throughout the whole adventure, I was kind of worried that I did something wrong here and would have to start over. I'd recommend not putting any actual puzzles in "hub" areas like this. Otherwise, it was cool.
Really? I didn't think anyone would think they could mess up in the hub. Did I have too many elements?
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Brr Float Lake: This was a pretty neat puzzle. It took me a little bit to figure out.
Meh, I thought it was unoriginal.
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Brr Wraith Maze: This entire room was more irritating than anything. The ice puzzles themselves were good (at least in the Ice Wraith half), but I think that you easily could've replaced the Brr Wraiths with a 3x3 body of water and gotten about the same result without the annoying Brr spells. When backtracking, I NEVER would've guessed how to use the Pow had you not reported that bug. Personally, I'm not a fan of this bug since the timing is too finicky. Anyways, onto the top half of the room: The FireFlower and IceFlower area. This section was more trial and error than anything. You have to slide across the ice at a random time and just HOPE you don't get hit by a random spell. Yeah, I hated this wlv.
AWW...this was the one I liked testing the most! I guess it's a matter of taste. BTW you could have saved yourself some trouble Powing the Wraith first. By that time, most of the flowers would be dead or frozen, and the second part becomes much easier then.
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Acid Pools: This was a pretty cool puzzle. I didn't end up using the green gate at all though, and as a result, I had a spare green key at the end of the adventure.
How?
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Crab Land: BAH! CRABS! KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL! The puzzles here were quite original and I enjoyed them.
:cry: Why...
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Talking Sign Place: Gotta love sentient signs. But as I said, I dislike important items being hidden behind trees. And those Moobots in the southwest corner... that was just pure, unadulterated TORTURE!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Oh, you haven't seen anything yet with Moobots... :twisted:
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Random Kaboom!'s Lair: Really, was there any point to this area aside from "HAHA, I HOPE YOU DIDN'T GET TOO LARGE OF A BAG TOO SOON, OTHERWISE YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER!"?
Yeah, pretty much. :| But it wasn't a lair; you'll learn more about that Kaboom! in future levels.
Also, if anyone DID get too large a bag too soon, you can get all of the keys from the other areas (inclusive of the two in the top-right corner,) and then your bag will be too full to get the relic after you take the metal keys.
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Rainbow Coin Lake: This was pretty fun. Probably one of my favorite parts of this adventure.
Thanks! It's based off the wood tile and coin puzzles in TOW and WSW that I loved so much.
MyNameIsKooky wrote: So, uh, yeah. Good work creating such a massive adventure!
Wonderman109 wrote: Oh, you haven't seen anything yet... :twisted:
I will upload a 'fixed' version soon that cuts out the annoying parts of this level for anyone who doesn't have two hours at a time to play this.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:29 pm

My fix for the ice rooms wlv actually made the level impossible, so I re-uploaded the fixed version with an extra blink charge in that area. Sorry to anyone who got stuck there playing the new version. :oops:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:29 am

Sorry for the late response. My memory of the acid pools puzzle is a little hazy though so some details might be inaccurate.
wrote:How?
So I got past the acid pools without touching the green button and without opening the green gate. I went through the ring of suction rocks to get the Brrs and sent myself to the west via the suction rock near the entrance. I used my remaining (2?) Brrs to get to the southwest corner and proceeded to solve the southmost suction rock puzzle without magic. I then got the necessary keys and used Blink to get back to the area's entrance without getting sent flying by unwanted suction rocks.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:36 am

Ah, I see where you used the Brrs. But I fixed that in the re-uploaded version(s). Thanks anyways.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:58 pm

It doesn't seem like you're making adventures anymore, but I decided to leave my thoughts here anyway.

BEST PARTS
1: Most of the puzzles were great! Brr lakes have always been as annoying to me as alternating bridge chains, but the one in this adventure was really enjoyable (it actually required some thought alongside the fast fingers). The Brr Wraith area was also pretty fun (but it seems like you've removed all the Wraiths, so that might have something to do with it). The acid pool area was tricky and fun. The underwater segment had some very unique and clever puzzles. The talking sign area was also fun, with the exception of the bottom-left corner for obvious reasons. :P

2: The dialogue was consistently funny! I particularly liked the sentient signs and King Whatshisname of the crabs.

3: Your scenery was very effective. A bit messy in places, but you were careful not to hide too many important gameplay elements - with the exception of those two white keys.

LESS-THAN-BEST PARTS
1: That Moobot section was pure agony. It might just be because I was playing the adventure on my laptop and had to use a mousepad, BUT STILL. :x

2: I feel like your storyline is pretty sparse. That isn't necessarily a bad thing (maybe your adventures are just light on story), but I've played the next adventure in this series and it feels like the gameplay in ONE of them would've been sufficient to tell the story of both adventures - possibly more.

CONCLUSION
Your adventures have never been as popular as Emerald's or MNIK's, but I really think they're excellent. Your puzzles are consistently unique and challenging, if a little bit annoying, and your dialogue is always entertaining.

Anyways, I'm off to post my thoughts to the next adventure in the series. :)
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:07 pm

That was a mouthful. :lol:
To be honest, I completely forgot about this series after Dream Cave had literally 0 comments for months. But if anyone's interested, I could go ahead and patch up the annoying parts, it wouldn't take more than a few days.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:30 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:To be honest, I completely forgot about this series after Dream Cave had literally 0 comments for months.
Yeaaah, that was actually one of the reasons I've been replaying this series. I looked back over my recent posts and saw that I promised to play Dream Cave.

I've been trying to play it again, but it keeps MAV-ing for me. I'll be sure to leave a review when I get it working!