33rd Adventure: Recipe for Disaster

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:45 am

Three of us are at Carnifex's lair now. No progress yet (at least, no progress that hasn't been "undone").

One thing in particular bothers me:
Spoilers??? (highlight to read) wrote:What's up with the white key? Collecting and using it seems like it would render the coin collection quest pointless. Is the white key just a red herring, or does it actually come into play at some point later in the adventure?
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:44 am

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
Spoilers??? (highlight to read) wrote:What's up with the white key? Collecting and using it seems like it would render the coin collection quest pointless. Is the white key just a red herring, or does it actually come into play at some point later in the adventure?
My thoughts on that matter wrote:Hmm... That's certainly an intriguing idea I hadn't really considered before. However, I doubt this would lead to a solution.

Although I can somehow imagine you being able to reach white key before the coin collection quest is over (with some very speedy spellcasting), you'd still have to find a way to hold down the mushroom button - and I'm pretty sure that would be impossible unless you left several of the collapsible bridges un-collapsed. (And I'm pretty sure THAT would be impossible, whatever you try.)

However, in the intended solution, the white key does indeed come into play later in the adventure.
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:29 am

I can't seem to get the turtle to turn to the gate and get out and get to the timer without it getting stuck in a loop inside the gem room. Help?
You posed dramatically.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:16 am

loofisawesome wrote:I can't seem to get the turtle to turn to the gate and get out and get to the timer without it getting stuck in a loop inside the gem room. Help?
Make sure you collect only the gems I instructed you to collect in my walkthrough.
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:16 pm

OH. I collected the last two gems after I got the two turtles inside the water path to the metal key. Thanks!
You posed dramatically.
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:17 pm

DP

Also, was there supposed to be music in the water caves? 'Cause I'm not getting any.
You posed dramatically.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:33 pm

loofisawesome wrote:Also, was there supposed to be music in the water caves? 'Cause I'm not getting any.
Have you downloaded MNIK's WA3 music pack?
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:35 pm

deleted
Last edited by loofisawesome on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You posed dramatically.
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:36 pm

I did. I think I deleted some tracks, though..
You posed dramatically.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Adventure TIIIMEEEE

Post by Jutomi » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:33 pm

I FINISHED IT!

Ooh, this was seriously a fantastic adventure, yotyot! :D

It was a long and hard struggle, but I managed to defeat the culinarioumancer something :mrgreen:

Realy, thank you very much for it! I'll hopefully start uploading my 80 videos for this in about two months. :)

Thank you, and I hope I'll get to see more things from you! :mrgreen:

Also... Carnifex's lair...
I don't want to... ever... try to solve that place again.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Congrats Jutomi for being the first person to solve yot yot's adventure! :D
Jutomi wrote:Also... Carnifex's lair...
I don't want to... ever... try to solve that place again.
Due to the complexity of that puzzle, yot yot has left it with some flaws containing solution breakers (right now, I can just skip the whole coin quest puzzle by just using one blink charge, I won't be doing that because I already figured out a solution, and because that method is probably a glitch.), but I will agree that it is a diabolical place which made me stay up late at night.

Also yot yot, what's the point of the white key? I solved the whole thing and that white key kept bugging me, is it some sort of a spare item for the next character? (that will be frustrating if it is.)

Edit: the Zbots in the left side are also useless, I'm pretty sure the keys won't be affecting the rest of the game either. ( I didn't pick them up, though.)
Last edited by ab-47 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:45 pm

ab-47 wrote:Also yot yot, what's the point of the white key? I solved the whole thing and that white key kept bugging me, is it some sort of a spare item for the next character? (that will be frustrating if it is.)
The white key was meant to be used, but some people have found ways to work around it. Thankfully, it can't be used to skip any later parts of the adventure.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Salvage

Post by Jutomi » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:05 pm

I solved it without using the metal key, either. :P
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:57 pm

I finally finished it! YAY! :D

This. Was. Epic! Time to review:

---WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD---

My favorite part: My Arm: This was the easiest, loveliest, and funniest part I have ever played throughout the whole adventure. I loved that endless chain of requests! It eventually turned crazy and I had to revisit that creepy bath-tub sized stinker again. :shock:

My second favorite part: Peegue: That weird twist sure got me interested to meet some characters again; it, however, also made me a bit afraid of someone in this community (I don't mean anything bad, it's just a joke. :oops: ), yet that Hell puzzle was great.

My least favorite part: Carnifex: I do not dislike it due to the time I took to finish that smother-puzzle, but because it felt a bit complicated and eventually I got lost; however, I decided to stay up all night and think for a solution, which eventually I wrote down the steps to solve it and the results were great, leading to success.

My second least favorite part: Slip: I got a bit frustrated with the conveyor puzzle and decided to reveal the solution from your google documents, but that doesn't make me dislike the puzzle design; I was instead astonished with the puzzles that looked simple during the trout zone, but were actually difficult, yet marvelous. :)

I just covered a major part of my thoughts towards this adventure. I really loved this, and I will miss playing it as well. :(

Overall: A Fantastic standalone adventure, this is like- no, this IS a revolution about the people of the community; their design tactics, ideas, and characters resembles what you managed to do in your adventure. Thanks for the fun, yot yot5!

So, to conclude: is this adventure recommended? Heck yes! 8)
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed review, and congratulations for being the second person to complete the adventure! :D
ab-47 wrote:My least favorite part: Carnifex
Yeah, that's probably one of my least favorite parts too. Although I'm kinda proud of how hard I made the puzzle, it's difficulty might have been a bit extreme. It's also kinda annoying that despite my hours of testing, it still has alternate solutions.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:36 pm

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN

I've FINALLY finished this adventure (with Gold by some miracle, too)! And wow, it was one heck of a ride. :o

The challenges were nice (more on that below) and the story was enjoyable.

One of the best aspects of this adventure was the way you gave nods to the rest of the community, whether it's through usage of characters or reference to something that happened or was said. I picked up on a lot of the references you made to previous adventures of mine (especially Mr. Zurkon's Retarded Holiday II) and ended up squeeing a whole lot. No internet talk in the Void! I'm touched that anyone still remembers that! :lol:

In response to the first post in this thread: I'm glad that you considered me a positive influence on your Wonderland Adventures career! I think the best thing about this community is our camaraderie. The way we acknowledge each other's Wonderland series and give each other support feels heartwarming to me. I'm probably coming off as sappy right now, but I'd just like to say that you were also a positive influence on my own adventures, yot yot. You've always put a whole lot of heart into your adventures and it's very inspiring to me (it helped me stop being so lazy when making puzzles :lol: )!

That aside, this is a grand adventure, and thank you very much for making it! :D

Here are my thoughts on the individual parts of the adventure:
Highlight to read (contains spoilers) wrote:Fern Room (Floing + Blink + Brr): This used a weird Floing trick that I didn't know was possible until I tried it. I learned something! Yay!
Fern Room (Flash Barrels): Simple but enjoyable.
Fern Room (Red, Green, Indigo, and Scritter): This was a clever one. It's a nice reminder that it actually IS possible to make good puzzles with scritters. But then again, they're one step away from crabs. :twisted:
Fern Room (Ghost Maze): There's not much to say about this one, aside from the fact that I merely stumbled across the gems due to luck. :twisted:
Fern Room (Spikeyball Floing 'n' Flash): Once again, simple but enjoyable.
Fern Room (Turtles): Yes.
Wraith in the Machine: I like misdirection. It comforts me to know that not all puzzle elements have to be used. :twisted:
Nano Moobots: HARD! :twisted:
Big Chomper: Tricky. Yes.
Ocean Surface: The design is simple but the puzzle is challenging, which is always good.
Ocean Teleporter Maze: Whee!
Ocean Turtles + Flipbridge: Haha, oh man. That was a cruel trick. I love it. :twisted:
Ocean Conveyors: These puzzles!
Forrock: This was a cool throwback to one of your previous adventures, and the way previous areas were revisited was cool too!
Mr. Zurkon's House: OKAY, WOW! This was super devious and it took me two hours to solve (with hints)! It took thinking outside of the box to a whole new level. Also, triple bunk bed. The dialogue was awesome too. :lol:
Annoyance: Talk about a blast to the past! Also, I think Sokoban puzzles should stay in the original trilogy where they're more convenient gameplay-wise. :P
The Rock Oven: Cool puzzle. Also, the cutscene was great!
The Rock Battle: Whee!
Antimatter Entrance Room: The way all of the puzzles were related was interesting. That Moobot puzzle was tricky.
Big Bang V2.0: Ah.
Carnifex's Lair: WOW! While this puzzle did have some flaws (like the last part being repetitive with a lot of back-and-forth trips), it was very clever!
Fetch Quests: Nothing too challenging here, but I found it very enjoyable. The chain of fetch quests was amusing as well. :P
My Awesome Basement: Hah! And here I thought alternate world line MyNameIsKooky was a lame guy! I really loved the way I was portrayed here. You know me too well, yot yot. :twisted:
Hell Chomper: This was a clever little puzzle which I enjoyed!
Crab Purgatory: The cruelest fate...
Lurker Purgatory: Mr. Zurkon doesn't seem to mind a whole lot.
Ice Purgatory: The trout died for our sins.
Chomper Purgatory: Thanks for the gold, kind stranger! And by stranger, I mean loser.
Final Boss: Tricky! It was fun without being frustrating. The way Floing was used by the boss was really clever.
AT LAST! I CAN FINALLY USE ALL NINE OF MY SAVE SLOTS AGAIN WHEN PLAYING OTHER ADVENTURES!
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 am

WOW!!!

That reaction was slowly spread across the duration of the adventure. If you were inside my house and heard me audibly say half a slash or one eleventh of an exclamation point, now you know why. Seriously though, this adventure was packed full of incredible settings, puzzles, and action. I only got 98 out of 101 gems, though.

Least favorite things: The blink maze. Also Sokoban's return I guess? Mainly the blink maze.

Most favorite things: Mr. Zurkon's house had great dialog and I felt so smart after I solved the puzzles. The boss was also pretty fun and had some clever attacks.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Anybody willing to help me on the Carnifex section?
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:20 am

Sorry, I completely forgot about this!

Here's the walkthrough to the 7th part of the adventure: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13UT ... sp=sharing
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:28 am

Incredible work on this adventure, yotyot! The only thing I'd suggest is making it into a hub, because having all 9 saves used can be annoying sometimes. :P
SPHUIWLER wrote:

Chapter 1 (Burntmeat's Fine Herbs): Fun and simple puzzles exploring new ideas for magic and monster manipulation. The scritter part was rather tedious though. Ghosts were the funnest of course. The spikey, barrel, and turtle sections were easy to figure out but hard to execute, which I think is a good combination. The story is also fun.

THE AMAZING DINNER: Food.

I would have expected more arguments for this dialog considering you have archenemies like Jamiff and Carnifex together.

Chapter 2 (Sam's Friendly Chomper): An easy starting section, minus the 3rd moobot puzzle which was so close to being symmetrical I couldn't figure it out on my own. The chase can also be nulled using Grow to completely seal the chomper off, and you can save a Pow to kill the wraith as others have found. Making that mandatory would've added to the storyline since the last guy in the slaughterhouse got scared off by that wraith. Overall though this was good.

Chapter 3 (Fishy hunt): Oh god these puzzles were way too hard. Well, at least past the tollgate. Of the three deep puzzles, I could only get the conveyer one by myself and that was sheer luck. You could skip the whole water chomper boss by wading back through the burstflowers, but I thought the chomper was the lesser of two evils. :P Definitely the hardest section of this level hands-down.

Chapter 4 (Forrock, Redestroyed): Probably the highlight of the level for me. Great everything. But it was a little hard to find the crypt entrance after Preeta escaped, and leaving the old path after the Brr pond open was confusing as I expected that teal-hatted stinker woman or some gems to be there when there was nothing. I've done that before too, though, so I can't really talk.

Chapter 5 (Zurkon's House): The house was a killer for me thinking-wise, but it was smooth going through. Annoyance stuff was easy minus the Sokuban which I skipped with the Blink and the water channel. The rock oven was the best part; I liked both the long puzzle chain and the whole boss battle with the tree's help. Clever use of RNG-scritters.

Chapter 6 (Science in Wonderland?): Although the order of the normal puzzles was a bit hard to deduce, they were all fun. The blink maze was awful though. I spent solid hours wandering through that. The long distances was a bit of a pain in the lab but no big deal, and the dialog was good.

Chapter 7 (Carnifex's Base): I had trouble finding it (JK). The puzzles here weren't hard - it's the order you do them in that confused me. I found several solutions, but the one you posted was nothing like the others. You can skip a lot of steps, but you must be careful, and the jailguard can be blinked past for some reason of Q-spell stupidity. The best part of this section was the whole over-under feeling, which I think you got from one of MoFI's volcano levels with the same idea in micro-size.

Chapter 8 (Non-Playable Jerks): I had the feeling I'd have to talk to everyone here, but the ending was a cool twist. Technically, there was real no paradox though- you could've gone back to MWM, saved Peegue first, and then satisfied everyone in order to save My Arm last. Also, I saved a Floing getting to the Void Crystal but it proved useless as you need two barriers to get ZZ's first bro's gems.

Chapter 9 (Hell MNIK you're insane): Very atmospheric and intense with medium-hard puzzles and a convincing storyline. I couldn't understand a word of fishy's dialog, but I guess I need to learn more Blub first. The basement beforehand would've been creepy if you didn't forget to deactivate the first MNIK hallucination. I went and checked on MNIK to find him staring silently and awkwardly at a barrel. :lol:

Chapter 10 (Ain't No Kitch Chef Cook My Food!): Amazing boss battle. Just amazing, I can't describe the design's complexity well enough. But the end with everyone gathered around was a little anticlimactic as you like it to be. I do question how Zurkon escaped hell to congratulate you though.

yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:07 am

MY COMMENTS
Wonderman109 wrote:
The chase can also be nulled using Grow to completely seal the chomper off

Don't worry - that's intentional. The chomper is far too fast to run from unless you block it off. The difficulty is in trying to get back behind the chomper after collecting the coins.

You could skip the whole water chomper boss by wading back through the burstflowers, but I thought the chomper was the lesser of two evils. :P Definitely the hardest section of this level hands-down.

Could you really wade back through the burstflowers? I thought there was a collapsing bridge you had to use on the way there. Did I accidentally let it reactivate, or something?

Annoyance stuff was easy minus the Sokuban which I skipped with the Blink and the water channel.

Ah, yes. I remember you telling me about that shortcut. But to be fair, that Sokoban puzzle is probably a tad too annoying to be mandatory.

The blink maze was awful though. I spent solid hours wandering through that.

Yeah, a lot of people are telling me it was too hard. Looking back, I probably should've removed one or two of the islands to make it smaller.

Technically, there was real no paradox though- you could've gone back to MWM, saved Peegue first

AND RUIN THE CLOCKWISE-ROUND-THE-TABLE ORDER!?!?! ARE YOU INSANE, MAN!?!?!?

The basement beforehand would've been creepy if you didn't forget to deactivate the first MNIK hallucination. I went and checked on MNIK to find him staring silently and awkwardly at a barrel. :lol:

I'm pretty annoyed I missed something like that. It seems to have been found by a lot of people.

I do question how Zurkon escaped hell to congratulate you though.

Mr. Zurkon ate the Gates of Hell, duh. :roll:
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:19 am

yot yot5 wrote:
Could you really wade back through the burstflowers? I thought there was a collapsing bridge you had to use on the way there. Did I accidentally let it reactivate, or something?
There was no bridge there.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sat May 28, 2016 5:46 am

Phew! Just finished it, and I have to say, I'm really impressed. While there were admittedly a few frustrating parts, overall the puzzles and action sequences were simply amazing. The storyline was very funny too at some points... I'd tell you my favorite part, but then I might get trapped in someone's basement. :razz: (Speaking of which, why didn't Mr. Billboard end up in hell too? :lol:)

Having said that, are you going to release the rest of the walkthroughs at some point? I can't seem to figure out the intended solution to the My Arm section, to be honest, maybe I'm just really dense or something, but I can't even figure out what I'm trying to do. I think I talked to everybody, but I might've missed someone. (I got through it by using a loophole that allows you to skip the section - I'm not sure if you already know the loophole, so I'll explain if you want.)
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:21 am

Just finished it, and I have to say, I'm really impressed.
Thanks! It's nice to see this adventure is still being played. :)
Having said that, are you going to release the rest of the walkthroughs at some point?
I guess I hadn't thought about it... I'm not really playing Wonderland anymore, so I thought I'd just let Jutomi's playthrough function as a "walkthrough" of sorts.

It can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... t7XIaI91xa
I can't seem to figure out the intended solution to the My Arm section, to be honest, maybe I'm just really dense or something, but I can't even figure out what I'm trying to do. I think I talked to everybody, but I might've missed someone.
The first step is to talk to Jade, the indigo thwart. You have to solve a puzzle to get the first key.
(I got through it by using a loophole that allows you to skip the section - I'm not sure if you already know the loophole, so I'll explain if you want.)
Sure, drop me a PM. I doubt I'll ever find the time to fix it, but I'd like to know as many loopholes as possible (just in case).
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sun May 29, 2016 6:06 pm

PM sent.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 pm

haha looks like you have to edit your post now
:D
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 am

Sammy_Bro wrote:haha looks like you have to edit your post now
Oh yeah!? Well I still hold the record for the largest adventure WITH PUZZLES!