Faithful texture pack - MS textures fixed - IMAGE HEAVY!

Leveltextures, Custom Icons, etc. for Wonderland Adventures.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Faithful texture pack - MS textures fixed - IMAGE HEAVY!

Post by Pawelec » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Faithful Texture Pack - MS textures getting some tweaks!
The original textures of WA series have some errors, which I tried to fix. Few of them are just impossible to repair (eg. lack of seamlessness of dark blue Tundra chaos-like tile) without remaking a texture - these are still present, as the idea is to remain Faithful to the original. The result is a Faithful texture pack, which covers almost all the textures in corrected versions. WA, MoFI, PotZ and WA3 Editor sets are available for download, installation instructions can be found below.

Changelog:
  • leveltex beach: wet (?) sand transistion tiles fixed to look fine in every rotation, minor seamlessnes tweaks to base walltop and wet sand
  • leveltex cave: walkaway quality improved, navy blue and dark purple transistion tiles slightly corrected, temple walltop seamlessed
  • leveltex cave2: stone and mud textures seamlessed, base floor and walltop slightly adjusted, transistion tiles fixed (with missing 1 edge + 1 corner and 4 edges tiles added)
  • leveltex cellar: walltop slightly adjusted, walkaway quality improved, fixed tile positioning errors and transistion tiles errors
  • leveltex desert: mud walltop has artifacts removed, transistion tiles fixed
  • leveltex forest: path and transistion tiles seamlessed, walkaway quality improved, wasteland floors seamlessed
  • leveltex hills: walkaway quality improved, temple walltop seamlessed
  • leveltex jaava: rock walltop, grass, base floor and walltop seamlessed, grass transistion tiles much improved, mud walltop has artifacts removed, jtemple tiles adjusted
  • leveltex jtemple: base floor and walltop seamlessed, stone walltop slightly adjusted, waterbank side tile fixed to look the same in all scales, removed shading from carpet tiles
  • leveltex jungle: rock walltop, grass, base floor and walltop seamlessed, grass transistion tiles much improved
  • leveltex lava: stone floor and walltop seamlessed, huge improvement in Acid Pools textures' seamlessness, using stone corners is no longer neccesary (in fact it hardly was before), mud walltop has artifacts removed, walkaway quality improved
  • leveltex snow: walkaway quality improved, transistion tile with 4 corners fixed, some artifacts removed
  • leveltex spooky: door tiles have artifacts removed
  • leveltex sundog: walkaway quality improved, transistion corners fixed, dark blue chaos tile slightly seamlessed, walltop slightly seamlessed, some artifacts removed
  • leveltex temple: walkaway quality improved, temple floor tiles and walltop seamlessed, transition tiles fixed
  • leveltex town: walkaway quality improved
  • leveltex wonderfalls: grass, cobblestone, sand, rocky and brick walltops seamlessed, transistion tiles fixed, walkaway quality improved
No changes were made to leveltexes: abstract, castile, stars, techno and uo.

EDIT: the bug with incorrect Wonderfalls backgroundtex is harcoded and cannot be fixed.

Installation:

Wonderland Adventures:
1. Backup all the files with names starting with cbdlhspvoeufy and mfwfmufy present in [your WA's destination]\Data\Graphics
2. Download the Faithful pack for WA from here and unzip its content.
3. Move the unzipped files into [your WA's destination]\Data\Graphics overwriting everything.
4. Enjoy Faithful pack in your WA!

Mysteries of Fire Island / Planet of the Z-Bots/ WA3 Editor:
1. Backup all the files with names starting with cbdlhspvoeufy and mfwfmufy present in [your MoFI / PotZ / WA3 Editor destination]\Data\LevelTextures
2. Download the Faithful pack for MoFI / PotZ / WA3 Editor from here and unzip its content.
3. Move the unzipped files into [your MoFI / PotZ / WA3 Editor destination]\Data\LevelTextures overwriting everything.
4. Enjoy Faithful pack in your MoFI / PotZ / WA3 Editor!

Note: some of PotZ textures aren't needed in MoFI, but they are present in the pack. You can delete leveltexes desert (mfwfmufy eftfsu.wdf), jaava (mfwfmufy kbbwb.wdf) and spooky (mfwfmufy tqpplz.wdf) if you're installing Faithful pack on MoFI.

Uninstallation:
Simply replace all the files from Faithful pack with the backup you've made in step 1. of your installation.

Using Faithful in other leveltexes:
Original MS textures can be used in custom ones freely, so can Faithful ones, but under one condition: in the description of your leveltex, add a line "MS textures based on Faithful pack by Pawelec".

Gallery:
Changes to many textures were rather cosmetic, there are screens of textures with most changes, all of them taken in WA trilogy hubs and advs, upper one is the original leveltex, while lower one is with Faithful pack. Enjoy!

(Click on the photo to view it in full size at flickr.com)

As of now, all my levels (including ones in upcoming retake of my WA graphics' tutorials) will use Faithful pack.
Last edited by Pawelec on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:40 pm

The tiling is MUCH much smoother now. Nicely done!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:37 pm

I love everything except for the sand temple change. The tiling is definitely smoother, but at the cost of making the entire floor so smooth that it looks less like sand and more like delicious pastel-coloured pudding as designed by Willy Wonka. Which is great but isn't sand. Granted, the original looked a bit like this, too, but the unsmooth tiling, ironically, made it look a bit rougher.

If it's possible to keep the seamless tiling but make it a bit rougher (perhaps by adding noise and/or grain as a separate image layer and then making the noise/grain seamless in GIMP?) it would make this set absolutely perfect for what it is.

So now we have at least three great designs: Original (in-game), Faithful and the Hidden Realms set. Awesome!
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:49 am

I'm honestly fine with a desert of Willy Wonka pudding. :mrgreen:

It'd make for a neat conceptual biome for JA:HOTSP. :lol:
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:58 am

Muzozavr wrote:I love everything except for the sand temple change. The tiling is definitely smoother, but at the cost of making the entire floor so smooth that it looks less like sand and more like delicious pastel-coloured pudding as designed by Willy Wonka. Which is great but isn't sand. Granted, the original looked a bit like this, too, but the unsmooth tiling, ironically, made it look a bit rougher.

If it's possible to keep the seamless tiling but make it a bit rougher (perhaps by adding noise and/or grain as a separate image layer and then making the noise/grain seamless in GIMP?) it would make this set absolutely perfect for what it is.
There's a bug in WA engine's terrain texturing: the edge pixels of a tile are ommited, so in fact the single has a 62x62, not 64x64 texture (interestingly, this doesn't apply to the backgroundtexes - they are rendered correctly, as 64x64 tiles). This caused many original textures not to tile smoothly, because they were seamless in 64x64, but not in 62x62, after cutting the outer pixels. This made making the sand look fine really hard. I'm sorry, but I think the pudding-like design is fine :wink:, no changes are planned. Besides, the texture was barely modified, the only change was the 2-pixel-wide frame, so the tiling could be seamless.

And I love the comparison to Willy Wonka's pudding :lol:
Last edited by Pawelec on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:27 am

stuff about 64x64 and 62x62
Wait, really? I never knew that! That sounds completely silly.

If the "pudding" look was originally planned and it only looks the way it normally does because of the bug, then yeah, no changes are neeeded. What's planned is planned. After all, this is named "Faithful". You're right.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Pawelec wrote:the edge pixels of a tile are ommited, so in fact the single has a 62x62, not 64x64 texture (interestingly, this doesn't apply to the backgroundtexes - they are rendered correctly, as 64x64 tiles).
Oh, wow. Great find, I don't think anyone's caught onto that before!
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:25 am

I've always noticed that the tiling was never perfect, I just didn't focus too much on it because I was busy being upset over my bad puzzling skills. :P
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:00 am

To clarify, I mean the fact that tiles are 62x62 - The uneven tiling's been picked up on before, definitely. :P