About topics

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

About topics

Post by ^_^ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:17 pm

I need to ask a question - if there's possiblity to make private topics, cuz i need backup files and most of upload sites always delete it, or you have to do stupid surveyz.
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:49 pm

That you have a stupid username is only one thing, but....

If you want other people to understand what you're saying, it would be easier if you use real words, which can be found in a dictionary or a translating website. In 5 years I learned English at school, I don't remember many words ending with the letter Z. (So please no stupid "cuz" or stupid "surveyz".)

But even then, I don't quite understand what you're talking about. Since it's about topics, I think it's about a forum, like this one. And you can make a topic, or send a private message, but I never heard about private topics. Besides, the purpose of this forum is not to upload backup files. There's only uploading files which you want to share with other forum members, such as levels or textures etc.

If you want to backup files, but not want to use an upload site, I suggest you use a portable data storage device, such as a USB-stick (flash memory), a portable harddisk, or a recordable/rewritable DVD.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Marinus wrote:That you have a stupid username is only one thing, but....

If you want other people to understand what you're saying, it would be easier if you use real words, which can be found in a dictionary or a translating website. In 5 years I learned English at school, I don't remember many words ending with the letter Z. (So please no stupid "cuz" or stupid "surveyz".)
INTERNET CULTURE ALERT

We usually replace s with z at the end to make the OP sound 'cooler'.
If you want to backup files, but not want to use an upload site, I suggest you use a portable data storage device, such as a USB-stick (flash memory), a portable harddisk, or a recordable/rewritable DVD.
He meant he would to access it at another computer (assuming he doesn't have any USB flash drives).

Also, I think usernames doesn't necessary reflect somebody. I think you are a little bit off the rules by this point.

EDIT: derp, making too many grammer mistakes.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:10 pm

No private topics.

Solution: use 3.uploAd or whatever it's called.
3ps.hk-diy.net
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Tyteen wrote:INTERNET CULTURE ALERT

You may read and write very good English for someone who grew up in a country where a different language is spoken; Not everyone does.

Also, you may feel pretty "at home" in that so-called cool internet child's culture; Not everyone does. There are also people who depends on dictionaries and translating sites.
Also, I think usernames doesn't necessary reflect somebody. I think you are a little bit off the rules by this point.
I don't remember that I said anything about rules, just giving my opinion. When I read the word "Tyteen", I can read it and I have an idea how to pronounce it, no matter if I pronounce it right or not. Therefore I think it's very good that you choose "Tyteen" instead of your real name in Chinese letters, because, although it would be your real name, most people would have no idea how to pronounce it, so we only could think of you as "the boy with the Chinese letters". And no matter if Tyteen is a real name or your real name; it looks like a name.

However; ^-^ is not a name at all. There are no real letters in it and no one has any idea how to pronounce it. So there's no other way for me to think about him/her then "The person with the stupid user-some-kind-of-a-name-but-as-a-matter-of-fact-no-name-at-all"

:lol:
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:15 pm

*AHEM*

^_^.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:24 pm

:lol:

^ is a mathematic expression, and so is -

_ doesn't make any sense. 8)
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 pm

^_^ is supposed to be a face.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 pm

The fact is, ^_^ is considered as resembling a face, while ^-^ isn't.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks! (Actually I already had that idea. :wink:)

But in my opinion, if someone wants to have a face next to, or below his/her posts, an avatar is meant for that purpose, not the username.

BTW, I realize that we're going pretty off topic. My apologies. So, cute face ^_^ , would you please do us a favor, and change the topic title into: About topics and (sort of) usernames. :)
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:15 am

Marinus wrote:
Tyteen wrote:INTERNET CULTURE ALERT

You may read and write very good English for someone who grew up in a country where a different language is spoken; Not everyone does.

Also, you may feel pretty "at home" in that so-called cool internet child's culture; Not everyone does. There are also people who depends on dictionaries and translating sites.
They are just replacing a letter with another letter - their pronounciation (sp) is the same.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:24 am

"because >> cuz"

That seems more then just one letter to me. Some people may find it hard to understand, and pretty annoying if people talk like this: http://gamedesign.wikicomplete.info/lis ... nd-phrases
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:06 am

"Because" was shortened to "cause" BEFORE THE INTERNET. "Cuz" is a shortening of a shortening and follows all the "rules" of Internet word shortenings. And hey, these are just two words, and they do follow the rules of Internet shortenings. I don't really like them, but I don't hate them.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:23 am

OK. Zo let'z talk about zomething elze now. :wink:
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:55 am

Marinus wrote:OK. Zo let'z talk about zomething elze now. :wink:
We don't do it randomly.

Also, WonderStorage allows such uploadings. Ask me for details and pricing. (no, not really)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:45 pm

:O
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.