Replies on Levels

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
John925
Rainbow Master

Replies on Levels

Post by John925 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:47 am

I have noticed that a large number of people tend to comment on the levels made by the more "popular"/"very new (less than 5 levels)" levelmakers and not on my levels ='( . I can make a nice little puzzle level and it gets no replies in a day whereas someone "trusted" can post a level and at least two comments come in within the next hour.

I don't make very many levels because I need time to get the idea, make the level, make it a challenge, test it, revise it... and that's done in spare time. It takes a long time for a person like me to make a good enough level to entertain a crowd but I have asked for suggestions and I will ask again...

If this is my problem (my levels need work or something) drop me by a pm and give some suggestions... maybe tell me a few secrets...

I hope this can result in a positive change :) (or maybe it's just a coincidence... tell me if I'm wrong)

Lol... most uses of "..." in a post. :P :lol:
Don't eat your computer... or it might eat you! :stinkylol:
o_0
'-|-
"/\
This is Guy. Copy Guy into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:59 am

Well, make sure on a level you don't say "Comments?" or something like that, or the people will come back at you saying "Be patient!"
And then they talk more about you getting impatient that commenting on the level! :roll: :P :lol:
e.g This topic was a terrible diaster. :P
Last edited by dlcs18 on Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlcs18
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:01 am

It's just that most levels get a comment within a day... :/ Maybe it's just that level vs. the amount of people that swarm to a level dependent on the creator.
o_0
'-|-
"/\
This is Guy. Copy Guy into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:59 am

The trustedy can be a bit of something, but usually it's either the difficulty of the level or boringness.
I didn't solve your Orbs Galore, for example. Never could get the gang out of the red spheres. :roll: I don't consider it boring, but it's very hard for me, so no comment from me.

Two particulary disastrous levels of mine were "Code Breaker" and "Zero Wing".
Code Breaker was a nice idea, but unfortunately wrong mechanics set it to dust, because you need to time all the buttons just right, or the mechanism will break.
Zero Wing was a trial to return to my old super-fast-arcade-only-levels-style. And what? It turned out to be of less quality than my other levels.
As far as I know, there are no comments on this level to this day.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Lillie
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Lillie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:02 am

Hi John :D

I can only speak for myself, but I think you will find that I post on nearly ALL levels created. (That is why my post count is ridiculously high :oops: ). Even if I am stuck or can't do a level - I nearly always post that too! Also I think you will find that as well as myself, Lizzie, Cathy Stinker, Tasha, Bobster, Rescuefire, Lutzy, Kiki do the same thing (sorry if I missed someone).

You only posted your levels yesterday, I didn't/couldn't play any levels yesterday so that is why I haven't posted on your recent ones.

And now I am off to footy for the day and still won't have time to play :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't get down about it - just have a little patience :D

Right - gotta go "COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!" :D
Lillie The Beanhead! Image
"Lillie Still A London Phillie Dancing Like A Billie Goatee Wee Wee Lillie"
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:36 pm

Well, the most replies (not by the same person) I have gotten on a level: 9 (my first two, Guess Where You Are, )
Least: 0 (well, that level was annoying and impossible, so 2)
Are my levels just too boring? Or do I have to reach 200 to become "trusted"?
o_0
'-|-
"/\
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:41 pm

John925 wrote:Or do I have to reach 200 to become "trusted"?
I'm trusted! :D Cause I made more than 200 levels! :D

:roll:

I don't think you have to get that far to be trusted...
dlcs18
Liz Mayhew
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by Liz Mayhew » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:48 pm

John - I didn't realise your levels have not been commented on very much! So sorry about this, I know it's very disheartening to make a level and hear nothing about it.

I've had a look in your folder on my computer. I have 42 of your levels and have only managed to finish 6 of them!!!!! Quite often people don't post if they can't complete a level. I did post on your recent red sphere one that I couldn't do it.

Anyway, my new resolve is to post on all your levels. Most of my replies will be - I can't do this or that, or I'm stuck here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So the problem is not that your levels are boring, but they're too difficult for most people. :?
Lizzie

To err is human,
To arr is pirate!
jobec5
Rainbow Wizard

Post by jobec5 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:10 pm

My dear John

I totally sympathise with your situation. I found myself wondering these same things less than a month ago about my new levels. :? And yep, I sure did get the occasional pm and comments of kind hearted folks trying to ease my concern by telling me to be patient. And because of the size and difficulty of some of my levels that responses take some time.

I apologise for my lack of responses to your levels John. I will make it a point to download at least 5 of your recent levels today and if I cannot finish them, I will boldly go where I generally have a hard time going. (Due to foolish pride :oops: ) I will step up and say "I cannot do this one yet".

Sincerely
Becky

PS (funny thing John...I think the level of mine that got the most comments was around my tenth to post and I made a ridiculous error and sought quick help and got it...But once the number of posts got near a dozen, it seemed to get lots of attention. I cant even speculate as to why this occurred. I learn something each time I post a new level and its important to remember that its all a part of the process. Take heart!! :D )
Toon Dog
Rainbow Master

Post by Toon Dog » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:28 pm

I play nearly every level posted ever. :shock: I just don't reply. Some people are like that, you know. So, tons of people might LOVE your levels, they just won't reply. :wink: :P :roll:
Please email me \/
Deetster
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Deetster » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:37 pm

As someone who devotes there time to only making levels, I've by now made upwards of 250 levels I would say (some posted, some not), and of the ones I have made, I have learned some very good things.

What I like to look at is rather how many people have downloaded the levels, rather than commented. I like to think that this many people have downloaded the level, and I also love to think my level was challenging to some, and maybe even some gave up.

I personally prefer to post very challenging, at times mindbending levels, as opposed to little puzzlers (though I do at time like to do the latter here and there), because I really like to create a nice excercize of the fingers, but definately moreso the brain. I do once in a while have one my more difficult creations end up with 1 or 2 comments, or gain a reputation that "this level WILL be hard" concidering the types of levels I am pumping out at that point, however, I am absolutely fine with that. I like that people have some fear to play my levels. In fact I'd be quite insulted if I had 10 comments from different players in 1 day, because then I'd know my level wasn't the kind of level I was probably attempting to make :wink:

From one level maker to another, being a "trusted" level maker isn't something people dub you, it's what you dub yourself. At the very beginning of making levels I had a bit of low confidence, especially when a level recieved a low number of comments, but now I realize that is just how it goes. Some with a specific flare will recieve 8+ comments, some very difficult will recieve 3-, and for whatever reason some you thought a bit dull will be rather popular, and others you thought were amazing won't be commented too much, but I know I'm still more proud of the one I liked more.

So just keep up your inner confidence in closing, because I am sure you have your own wonderful wonderland style, and soon enough none, or 20 comments will maybe change if you are MORE proud, but never if you are less.

Good luck!
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:07 pm

I don't like the fact that almost nobody replies to my late mechanism levels. They are probably too easy, although I'm trying to make them tricky. (for example: Loof has to step on a certain floor tile to free Peegue, then one of them has to press a button to open the gates to the exit. This is an example of trickiness)
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:07 pm

Hey, I have a idea to improve the trickiness of your levels.

In other words, I'll teach you how to make a HEX masterpiece. :P PM me if you want the tutorial.
o_0
'-|-
"/\
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Erm... I want mechanism, not magic. :lol:
I would like a HEX tutorial though. :D :shock:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:37 pm

Blast!10 wrote:(for example: Loof has to step on a certain floor tile to free Peegue, then one of them has to press a button to open the gates to the exit. This is an example of trickiness)
Do you already know how to do that? If you don't, I can give you an example of it. :)
dlcs18