Windows Auto Update & Auto Reboot problems...

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Windows Auto Update & Auto Reboot problems...

Post by Robbie » Wed May 02, 2007 12:18 am

Just a quick question for the technically minded...

My work computer automatically does it's windows update thing while ever I'm connected to the internet which is fine.

What's not fine is that whenever updates have finished downloading, the computer will automatically reboot before/after (whichever) installing. There's no saying when it will happen & if I'm not in front of my computer for the 5 minute countdown I can loose anything I have running which happens more often than not... aargh!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Is there anyway to stop the auto rebooting?

Robbie :?
Yes, I'm still here... ;)
500 posts here I come!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed May 02, 2007 3:40 am

I've just made some research on Google and found the way.

1) Open the Start menu and select Run.
2) Type gpedit.msc
3) There open: Administrative Templates, in there open Windows Components, in there open Windows Update.
4) Set "No autorestart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations" to Enabled.
5) That should be it. :wink: The updates will wait for your restart.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Wed May 02, 2007 4:04 am

Thanks heaps Muzozavr :D :D :D

Now I can sleep peacefully at work knowing the little I've done won't be lost :wink:

Robbie 8)
500 posts here I come!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed May 02, 2007 4:12 am

Ah, that's what boggles you? Just learn to save... :roll:
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed May 02, 2007 7:11 am

Hi Robbie, long time no speaky, :lol:

You can just change the settings in Windows Update to automatically download but not install until shutdown (actually it says 3 am, but shutdown usually occurs before that). On that setting you don't notice the downloads but when you shutdown you will get a notice that the updates will install and then shutdown the pc.

I have mine set that way and it saves all the rebooting in the middle of something.

Hope all the family is doing fine. :D
Pauline
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Wed May 02, 2007 11:33 am

Hi Robbie, nice to meet ya.

I'm Robyn......since retiring from Fire & Rescue I fix computers. Yes I'm a geek, a nerdy geek really.

I agree with Popo on what you should do as far as adjusting how Windows updates. One point I differ on is that you may want to set your Windows updates to "Notify me" so it will not automatically download anything. That way you can start and stop the updates whenever you want to.

The biggest reason to do this is to prevent "bad" updates from happening. Frequently Microsoft sends updates out there that are not good for some computers. There was the "gina file" problem last year that disabled many older computers so badly they wouldn't even start up (made a lot of money that month). Most recently it was the IE 7 update which has caused very glitchy behavior in many computers (also another good month).

So, after all that babbling....ya might want to set your windows update (in control panel) to "Notify" and do a bit of research before you let your computer update. Some updates good, some updates BADDDDDDD

Again, nice to meet ya :D
Image Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Wed May 02, 2007 1:29 pm

Hey rescuefire thanks for the information it's most helpful :D

Now if you don't mind I've got another problem you may be able to help me solve .. I've asked some other "geeks" and got some answers .. but it didn't solve the problem :cry:

I frequently get this message, when I click on "retry" is freezes up my pc and shuts down IE .. any suggestions :?

Please & thanks in advance Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Wed May 02, 2007 2:13 pm

Hey Laura,

Looks to me like you have a "memory leak". Without getting into huge detail and getting all the specs on your computer, there are a few things you can try first. If these don't work then PM me with your computer specs. In other words, what type of processor you have, amount of memory, operating system, mouse type, keyboard type, browser you use and what chat programs you use.

First try the simple stuff.....Update all the security fixes that Microsoft has. If your computer is less than 6 years old you shouldn't have a problem. If you see any updates that say "NET framework" those are what you need first. DON'T update to IE7. If you need info on how to not update certain updates just ask, I'll give you the info.

After you do the Windows update, do a simple disk clean up on ALL drives you have. Many folks have two hard drives these days. Then after that clear your cache on your browser. After that do a Disk Defrag, restart, do another Disk Defrag. So to try the simple stuff first:

1) Update Windows (avoid IE7)
2) Clear temporary files and cache in your browser
3) Restart
4) Do a Disk cleanup
5) Do a Disk Defrag
6) Restart
7) Do a Disk Defrag again

If those steps don't work or your not sure how to do any of those lemme know :D

Edit addition: By the way if you already have IE7 that is where your problem is. If you uninstall IE7 and then follow the above steps you will solve your problem. The best browser out there right now is Firefox, it is very secure and glitch free. There is also Opera, ya might want to ask Muz about Opera for a browser, he uses that one.
Image Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed May 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Did you check for adware/spyware/viruses?
You might wish to use Ad-Aware in addition to your antivirus.
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Wed May 02, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks for all the advise.. I'll give all that a go :D
Checked to see what version of IE I'm using .. 6.0
I also found PC Doctor on my puter.... I'll run all the tests on that, see if that comes up with something :?

Ad-ware.. hmmm ??? I've totally forgot about that :oops: I guess I should install spysweeper huh? especially since I already have it :wink: :lol: :lol:

I appreciate both of you helping, I'll let ya know the outcome :D
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 pm

I recommend Ad-Aware for Adware and Spybot for Spyware (they also check each other's main line, but not as good in my opinino, or is it just my imagination?)
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:06 pm

Wow Robbie .. that is WIERD :shock: :shock:
Good thing it doesn't happen to me cuz I'm afraid of restarting/turning on my own computer... :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :( :o :P
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:12 pm

It happens to me too!
It comes as "Windows must restart your computer for the updates to take effect.
Windows will restart your computer in 5 minutes.
I keep pressiing "Restart Later", then a few minutes later it comes up again!
And it really '@&^! me off! :twisted:
dlcs18
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Wed May 02, 2007 6:27 pm

I agree with Muz on the AdAware by Lavasoft. Here's what I put on all my clients computers, as well as one mine and my son's.

I use AVG Free for virus protection.
I use Adaware by Lavasoftusa for Adware protection - run a "Smart scan" every night.
I use AVG Spyware protection - run that every night when I'm done with my puter.
I use AVG's root package thingy too - run that every night as well.

The virus protection is a constant thing so I only run that scan if there's a problem....which hasn't happened since I switched from years of Norton's to AVG. The others find stuff almost every time and I quarantine and delete it all. That's my list of trusted and proven software for computer protection, and it's all free. In these cases you get MORE than you pay for. Well worth the time and none of these bog down your computer either, like some of the others.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:41 pm

dlcs18 wrote:It happens to me too!
It comes as "Windows must restart your computer for the updates to take effect.
Windows will restart your computer in 5 minutes.
I keep pressiing "Restart Later", then a few minutes later it comes up again!
And it really '@&^! me off! :twisted:
Oh yeah! I get it on my dad's laptop and it is really annoying :evil: :x :twisted:
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Thu May 03, 2007 12:01 am

Thanks Pauline & Robyn,

Duly noted & applied. I have noticed in the past when I was doing the manual update (on a prior computer) that there was a good bit I didn't download. I'll see how it goes here on in 8)

The family is doing really well Pauline!
Vani is now in year 1 & doing really well with her reading among other things.
Lusi-ann has started pre-school & has been really enjoying it... except for yesterday... stayed up far too late, woke up late & cranky & didn't end up going :roll: Only 1.5 days at the moment - probably 3 when she turns 4 in July.
Simi turns 2 next week & has turned into quite the demolition machine :shock: I've noticed that if I don't get to him soon after he wakes up that he strips his cot & throws everything out onto the floor & laughs about it while I'm cleaning up... Looks very cute (according to his sisters) & still often gets confused for a girl by people that don't know him with his long hair, that & the fact that he always has a smile for the ladies... bit of a worry :wink:

Hope all is well at your end too.

Regards
Robbie :D
500 posts here I come!
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu May 03, 2007 8:19 am

It's always lovely to here about your little ones Robbie. Simi is almost two?!?! :shock: My, how time flies. Sounds like he's taking after you with the charm. :wink: :lol:

My eldest son Tim is finally getting married June 1st. He's had a bit of a rocky road with the fairer sex in the past, but he's with the love of his life now. Long may it continue.

Just got to get the other one, Chris, out of my hair now and I'll be free again.....until the grandkids start arriving that is. I've nicknamed Chris the Klingon, coz he's adamant he'll be with me for the rest of my life. :lol: :lol:
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu May 03, 2007 3:43 pm

C'mon, c'mon, I'm sorry to stop the conversation but I thought this was the thread about computer problems! :wink:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Thu May 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Muzozavr wrote:C'mon, c'mon, I'm sorry to stop the conversation but I thought this was the thread about computer problems! :wink:
Ditto! :lol:
dlcs18
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:27 pm

dlcs18 wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:C'mon, c'mon, I'm sorry to stop the conversation but I thought this was the thread about computer problems! :wink:
Toon Dog
Rainbow Master

Post by Toon Dog » Thu May 03, 2007 5:30 pm

Blast!10 wrote:
dlcs18 wrote:
Please email me \/
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Thu May 03, 2007 11:42 pm

Hey guys how about showing a few manners & some respect for the long time members here. Image
Robbie doesn't get the opportunity to pop in very often so let us enjoy any time he has would ya
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Thu May 03, 2007 11:42 pm

Sorry guys...

I had posted about 1 particular computer problem & received (with a thankful heart) a working answer & some bonuses.

Pauline & I have been here (nearly) forever & was just catching up with an old friend... I mean young old friend :wink: (thought I'd better add that in or you'd never speak to me again!)

Robbie :D
500 posts here I come!
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Fri May 04, 2007 10:34 am

Grrr.... why do adults hate kids?
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Fri May 04, 2007 11:21 am

Blast? Adults don't hate kids. Most adults do not tolerate rudeness. Respect will go a long LONG way in life, including on message boards.

Just like the TV, if ya don't want to watch it turn it off. If you don't want to read it click it off :P
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri May 04, 2007 12:04 pm

Blast!10 wrote:Grrr.... why do adults hate kids?
Because all adults have been kids and we know just how horrible they are. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:
Pauline
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:28 pm

Who is horrible? Kids? :evil:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Blast!10 wrote:Who is horrible? Kids? :evil:
He was only joking Blast! 8)
WE REALLY NEED TO GET BACK ON TOPIC NOW :P
Otherwise this might turn into another Kid vs Adult War. :lol:
dlcs18
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri May 04, 2007 7:15 pm

Blast!10 wrote:Who is horrible? Kids? :evil:
Yes, kids. :roll:

I meant as we have all been kids, and we know how horrible we were, then we know how horrible kids are......in general.

It was a joke ya know, meant to be funny. Of course, some people can't see a joke if it jumps up and smacks them on the nose, although I wouldn't think it was funny if something jumped up and smacked me on the nose, but that was a joke as well so never mind, eh?

Sorry Blast, take no notice of me, I'm having an old person moment. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pauline
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:30 pm

[deleted by poster]
Last edited by Blast!10 on Fri May 04, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.