Burnt River Rising (in the correct forum!0

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Burnt River Rising (in the correct forum!0

Post by pandybear » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:48 pm

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... =572251144

Here is a continuation of my photo album on Facebook. The roads department just delivered sandbags and are bringing more - I will add a photo as I can get to it! The river rose 4 inches this morning and we have about another foot to go before we are in deep . . . well you know!

We are having heavy rain and freezing rain and snow - ya, we can take it all!

Talk to you in the next segment!

Hugs to all and thanks so much for your good thoughts
Andy
Andy
Dizzy1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Dizzy1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:06 pm

I was baking and cooking to get everything out of my 2 fridges and freezer, in case the electricity gets turned off if we have to evacuate! I'll need places to send all of this stuff to. Any takers? Want some Dizzy? You may be stuck for a while in your house!
Yes, I do! :lol: :D

You might need to eat most of it so you'll have energy to lift sand bags! :shock:

Thanks for keeping us informed! :)
EDIT: During our Ice Storm a few months ago, we lost everything in our fridge and freezer! It was terrible!! :roll:
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Like I told ya Pandy Andy I'll eat anything!!! I'll even pay for postage!

My son says "I like cookies" LOL!

We are under a Winter Storm warning still. Loads of rain and freezing rain and slush falling from the sky. High winds and lightning UGH! I sure hope all this moisture doesn't keep going in the direction it's going cuz it's heading your way :shock:

As always you're in our thoughts and prayers :D
Image Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by pandybear » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:27 pm

We have been watching the news about all the tornadoes, thunderstorms and high wind warnings in your area Robyn! It is coming our way - in the form of freezing rain and rain. Could ya keep some of it there please? We really have had enough! I promise cookies to all who can do something about this weather!!!
Andy
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:12 am

The wind is blowin' so hard that mail boxes are even going over. Loads of trees down on power lines and now the roads are crazy icy! We have had the weirdest mix of stuff, rain, icy, sleet, slush, hail, snow, thunder it's getting really scary here tonight. Me thinks it's time to get off the puter!!
Image Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:25 am

*replying in correct forum for the current things*
My god, is the current situation THAT serious?! I certainly hope it won't ever become a real flood! This is worrying news, anyways.
I realise how stupid this sounds, but Ben's "I'll see what I can do" (from Full Throttle) describes my thoughts best. Probably nothing it seems. :(
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by pandybear » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:39 am

More sand bagging pictures attached.

I woke up this morning and have just seen our firepit bench. It is completely submerged! I will take pictures of that when it gets light enough. The good news is . . . it seems we didn't get as much rain as we were expecting and we are supposed to see a bit of sun this morning before it starts raining again this afternoon. I am looking at the positive side of things for a change, because I needed a boost in morale. Not much sleep last night. The neighbours will be here for chilli this evening and hopefully we will not have to sail away!!

Thanks for all the good thoughts Wonderlanders! You are a wonderful community of new friends. Can you all make it for chilli tonight??? BYOB

will update again later this afternoon!
Andy
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by pandybear » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:31 am

I got these pictures this morning - the fire pit is completely underwater and the river has come around its wall. Our Pandy Bear sign has been knocked over, but the sump pump is still running!! That's got to be a good thing!

Hugs
Andy
Andy
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:58 am

Good for you Andy! Keeping something positive in mind! I like to think things can always be worse.

Those pictures are scary as heck! I sure hope that the storm that ripped through here yesterday and last night doesn't come up as far as you are.

I should take pictures here too but it seems that all my pictures are the same all the time SNOW SNOW ICE SNOW SLUSH ICE SNOW WIND kinda boring I'd think hehehe

I have thought of you and yours all night. Thanks so much for keeping us all updated. The more prayers the better I say!
Gen
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Gen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:11 pm

Thanks for the up-date, Andy! Keep those Happy Thoughts going!

Has the river peaked? I certainly hope so. That water is close enough, time for it to recede!

Enjoy your chilli dinner and take care!
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by pandybear » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:28 pm

The river hasn't peaked and we are being told to get ready to move the vehicles and get ready to evacuate. I'm not sure when this will happen but it looks likely. I don't think I have ever felt such stress before! Hope to be talking to you all soon.

Andy
Andy
Shadow
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Shadow » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Ouch. You'll have to be as mobile as it gets then.
If you want to pack something up, better do it in advance!!
I still hope that the river will peak, but it seems improbable. :(
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by pandybear » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:30 pm

It’s official. The fire department was just here and said the river is going to rise another 2 to 3 feet between tomorrow and Tuesday. That means that at least our living room is going to flood downstairs, not just the crawl space.

We are not sure whether the hydro will be turned off or if we actually have to physically leave. We would have to leave the cats here I think.

We hope to make it through one more night but will have to make a decision tomorrow.

No more happy thoughts:( :cry:
Andy
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:36 pm

Oh sweetie I wish I could help some how :cry:
Shadow
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Shadow » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:38 pm

Noooooo! :cry:
OK then, if you want to pack something up, pack it now. :wink:
I certainly hope that you'll be OK. Good luck.
Gen
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Gen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:45 pm

I'm sorry to hear this. I was hoping you wouldn't have to leave and that the river would peak now. It looked like your home has two floors - can you move furniture, etc upstairs to keep it from getting wet? Like Robyn said, I wish there were something we could do to help!

My thoughts are with you!
rescuefire
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by rescuefire » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:57 pm

Ok so ya got all your important papers bagged up to take? Got a plan for the pets? Moved stuff upwards? Got clothes and bathroom stuff all packed? Got a place to stay? Yikes so much to do!!!

Please keep us updated. I so wish we could all just fly up there and help move stuff out for ya. I got a big ole truck, we could fit all kinds of stuff in!
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by pandybear » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:44 am

The last 6 pictures were taken late this afternoon. We are all ready to leave if we have to, knowing there is nothing else we can do to lessen the blow. I will eventually have to show you photos of my beautiful B&B living area with all its furniture in place - but for now, I must get to bed and try to not think about this until tomorrow.

You're all amazing people and I thank you for being there with your thoughts. We can only say that we are so much better off than those poor soles who have lost their entire homes to tornadoes in the midwest. Our hearts go out to them.

Talk again tomorrow.

Hugs
Andy
Andy
ann3120
Rainbow Star

Post by ann3120 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:01 pm

I've looked at your pictures, and I'm so sorry to read about your troubles.
It's such a terrible feeling, just sitting there - well, actually working very hard, waiting for the inevitable.
My heart goes out to you and all your neighbours.

We had a similar situation three years ago when we were in the path of a hurricane.
We had the house boarded up and everything ready to leave in the morning,
but we couldn't move anything upstairs because there wasn't one :lol: :lol:
Luckily Hurricane Rita changed her "womanly" mind and we were spared. But I know exactly how you feel.

Your B&B looks beautiful. How lucky you are to live in such a lovely place.
Hopefully your evacuation will be short and the damage only minimal.
Mrs. Annie Purple Hat
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Please keep us up to date. I know you've been busy. Hopefully you won't have to leave. Mother Nature sure can do some damage. I hope you and your neighborettes will be safe and out of harms way.
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by pandybear » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi everyone! Sorry I didn't post yesterday - we were trying to catch up on some sleep because we were up all night with our sump pumps, and cats wanting to get down into the crawl space.

So, we are still in our house and are feeling far more positive this morning. The sun is shining, and will do so for the next several days, it is getting warmer and the river isn't rising . . . YET. Yesterday, we moved all of our vehicles out to the community centre or to the side of the higher roads and have one truck here for in case.

We got word this morning that between today and tomorrow it will be coming up around 16 - 18 inches. That will probably put it into the crawl space and not the living room. We believe that we will be able to stay here but won't know until tomorrow.

SO thank you all so much for thinking of us, we will update you again later today or tomorrow. One of the new pictures shows me in front of a snow bank at the end of our road. Lots of that stuff still hanging around, plus the bit they threw at us yesterday morning! I saw a photo from Emma showing her snow - when will it end?

Take care and hope your weather news is nothing but good!

Andy
Andy
pandybear
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by pandybear » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Hello everyone! Happily, this will be my last post to this topic. The river has gone down at least a foot and the only concern now is the run off from melting snow - and there is still masses of that to go. We are not as concerned about our home flooding anymore. The last 3 pictures tell it all.

I want to say thank you to everyone who sent us supportive comments and encouraging thoughts. You all definitely made a very stressful situation easier to "bear" (I simply had to do it - sorry!!).

I hope you will all be able to come to Pandy Bear's B&B one day and enjoy some very grateful country hospitality. Did I ever tell you I was a good cook? I am!

Hugs to all
Andy Pandy Bear and her Grizzly, Don

Edit - it seems the only picture that was coming up was Punkin, which is very strange. I have updated the link (although Punkin was definitely the most important picture - she told me to tell you).
Last edited by pandybear on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy
Lillie
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Lillie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Oh Lordy - poor little Punkin :( :( :( So glad you got her out and she wasn't hurt :) Years ago one of our cats got under the floorboards whilst my father was doing some pipework for the central heating. We didn't see her go in - but she was missing for about 3-4 days. Dad left the boards up just incase she had gone down there. The next day we heard her crying and my dad had to take the whole floor up to find her. It is true when they say cats have nine lives :D :D :D

Excellent news about the water going down - all the very best of luck with everything Pandy and Don (and Punkin!) x :D x
Lillie The Beanhead! Image
"Lillie Still A London Phillie Dancing Like A Billie Goatee Wee Wee Lillie"
Gen
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Gen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:48 pm

This is very good news! I know you are relieved! Also glad to hear that Punkin is recovering from her "adventure". She looks kinda put out about the whole situation. I had a tortoise shell that looked just like her, they are very loving kitties.

Hope your life is back to normal soon! :D
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Glad to hear everything is receding. I bet punkin is too. Must be a good cat in the shower. Poor little thing. I'm sure she was scared. A scaredy cat.... :lol: