Choose your own adventure game maker

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
2yu556
Rainbow Keeper

Choose your own adventure game maker

Post by 2yu556 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:24 pm

i "discovered" this neat little scripting program called Just basic
very fun, you can make , choose your own adventure games, with it
so i was wondering if anyone would like to make some with me, then we can discuss them and try them out

the just basic forum is here
http://theforums.mioforo.com/just-basic-vf38.html

along with link to program download, enjoy
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:36 pm

More precisely, this program is a Windows interface program for the language BASIC (stands for "Beginners Allpurpose Symbolic Instruction Code"). I mainly use QuickBASIC for BASIC programming, but I like this program too since it runs much faster.

I haven't yet created any games with it; I like CMD better for creating command-line interface text adventure games.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Blast!10 wrote:More precisely, this program is a Windows interface program for the language BASIC (stands for "Beginners Allpurpose Symbolic Instruction Code"). I mainly use QuickBASIC for BASIC programming, but I like this program too since it runs much faster.

I haven't yet created any games with it; I like CMD better for creating command-line interface text adventure games.
Blast, do you use Qbasic? Me too! :D (I'm in the midst of creating a chess program.)
I would also rather stick to Qbasic, because I'm used to it, and I don't want any change in it.

What is CMD?
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:38 pm

CMD is command, which means programming stuff in Notepad that runs on the MS-DOS command program.
dlcs18
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:28 am

mqdar wrote:
Blast!10 wrote:More precisely, this program is a Windows interface program for the language BASIC (stands for "Beginners Allpurpose Symbolic Instruction Code"). I mainly use QuickBASIC for BASIC programming, but I like this program too since it runs much faster.

Blast, do you use Qbasic? Me too! :D (I'm in the midst of creating a chess program.)
I would also rather stick to Qbasic, because I'm used to it, and I don't want any change in it.

What is CMD?
CMD is...... You see the Black Screen in Log in your user in computer? its CMD! and... DLCS SAYS ALREADY!!
Avid TTR player and TTS developer, a new revolutionary server in works.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:05 am

dlcs18 wrote:CMD is command, which means programming stuff in Notepad that runs on the MS-DOS command program.
Almost. you can actually use any text editing program to do it. Redeye (my bat editing program) also does it.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:32 am

Ummm...I suck at BASIC.LOL
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Toon Dog
Rainbow Master

Post by Toon Dog » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Blast!10 wrote:
dlcs18 wrote:CMD is command, which means programming stuff in Notepad that runs on the MS-DOS command program.
Almost. you can actually use any text editing program to do it. Redeye (my bat editing program) also does it.
CMD is quite basic(NOT what BASIC stands for), If you know how. Try youtube.

Anyone want to learn CMD, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

WTF! :evil: St00pid link :roll:
Please email me \/
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:54 pm

I just finished making a small CMD Tutorial a while ago, but we're going really off-topic here.
Anyone got some good proggies made with BASIC? I made a program to convert fractions to percentage, though I'm not sure if it'll be really useful.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:36 am

Blast!10 wrote:I just finished making a small CMD Tutorial a while ago, but we're going really off-topic here.
Anyone got some good proggies made with BASIC? I made a program to convert fractions to percentage, though I'm not sure if it'll be really useful.
I'm currently working on a chess program. :wink:

It is far from finished; at the moment there is no castling, en passent, promotion, check, checkmate, slatemate, or AI. The way the board updates also isn't that great (but it is the easiest way to go; not much really matters when a program is 'under construction')

I could upload it anyway though if anyone would like to see it.
(The pictures of the chess pieces are not original. I found them on the internet, resized them, and put them into Notepad :wink: :lol: )

P.S. One of the 'experimental' programs I've created can change seconds to minutes and seconds, and vise-versa. Good for the RTW editor (lol).
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:03 am

mqdar wrote:P.S. One of the 'experimental' programs I've created can change seconds to minutes and seconds, and vise-versa. Good for the RTW editor (lol).
I created one in VB long ago, it was only minutes-seconds though and when I posted it here some of you guys treated me like I'm stupid. :roll: :lol:
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:13 am

Blast!10 wrote:
mqdar wrote:P.S. One of the 'experimental' programs I've created can change seconds to minutes and seconds, and vise-versa. Good for the RTW editor (lol).
I created one in VB long ago, it was only minutes-seconds though and when I posted it here some of you guys treated me like I'm stupid. :roll: :lol:
OMG really? :lol:

Do you not have any comment about the chess program? It's ok if you don't. :)
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:32 am

mqdar wrote:Do you not have any comment about the chess program? It's ok if you don't. :)
Yes, I actually do :lol:

How do you check all the collision and movement stuff and how did you actually make stuff move? :roll: :lol:
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:44 am

Blast!10 wrote:
mqdar wrote:Do you not have any comment about the chess program? It's ok if you don't. :)
Yes, I actually do :lol:

How do you check all the collision and movement stuff and how did you actually make stuff move? :roll: :lol:
I'm telling you, it's complicated! :lol: I could give you the source code if you like, and I don't think it will be what you were expecting... 8)

Collision and movement stuff? No collision checking, and nothing fancy with the movement, i.e, not animated.
It's easy. :lol: :twisted: Just change the board data, and then update the board, or 'erase' where the object was, and then draw the object in its new place. Now I really want to give you the source code...
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:56 am

mqdar wrote:Now I really want to give you the source code...
Fine then, do it. :lol:
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:52 am

Blast!10 wrote:
mqdar wrote:Now I really want to give you the source code...
Fine then, do it. :lol:
And me also. :lol: :lol:
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:47 pm

Ok, here it is. :)
Some help to get started:

The .bas file can be opened in Notepad if you would like to examine the code.
There are a few .qdf (Qbasic Data File, my own 'extension') files which are also just text files. Each contains a 35x35 grid of 0s, 1s, and 2s, a task which must have taken me about one hour and a half to achieve. It's just the best way I know to store images that can be opened in Qbasic. :lol:
The .bas file must be opened in Qbasic to run, but the .exe file is a stand-alone program (I compiled the .bas file). The .exe file is also faster, so it will be especially good for the AI.
To make a move, you enter the coordinates of the piece you want to move, followed directly - no spaces - by the destination. But you won't get away with most illegal moves (you can get away with the special kings rules though). Castling and en passent are treated as illegal, since they're special moves, and I haven't written code for them. Promotion is non-existent.
The coordinates are in algebraic format. There are no letters of numbers to help you though; you will have to count or have a good picture of the rows and columns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2yu556
Rainbow Keeper

<insert subject here>

Post by 2yu556 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:41 pm

for some reason the computer i am useing does NOT want to run your file (i WILL get a better one soon)
but im sure its pretty good
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:32 am

Your QuickBASIC version must be different from mine; in my programs I see a different font when it runs in fullscreen.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Blast!10 wrote:Your QuickBASIC version must be different from mine; in my programs I see a different font when it runs in fullscreen.
What do you mean? How is this relevant?

I have Qbasic 1.1. Also check the properties of the Qbasic window. It might be different for fullscreen. I don't know though.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:25 pm

mqdar wrote:I have Qbasic 1.1.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Mine is version 4.5. :shock: We might be talking about a totally different program. :o
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Qbasic 4.5 just has more features and all that. It is not a completely different program. But what does this have to do with anything? :? I also have Qbasic 4.5, so I'll see what it's like there.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:40 pm

I just saw the COLOR function, it's awesome! You can even input a random color. The SLEEP function is also very cool -- like the GML functions sleep() and keyboard_wait() combined. 8)

Code: Select all

CLS
RANDOMIZE
FOR i = 1 TO 10
COLOR INT&#40;RND * 16&#41;, INT&#40;RND * 16&#41;, INT&#40;RND * 16&#41;
PRINT INT&#40;RND * 100&#41;;
SLEEP
NEXT i
COLOR 7, 0, 0
I really like BASIC due to its extreme similarity (mostly in syntax, but also in functions and keywords) to Visual Basic, which is a language I have more experience with than any other language I know.
2yu556
Rainbow Keeper

Post by 2yu556 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:26 pm

mine is JUST BASIC thats the program name, not q basic
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:25 am

2yu556 wrote:mine is JUST BASIC thats the program name, not q basic
They still both use BASIC for scripting, so it doesn't really matter. Some functions were removed and new functions were added in Just BASIC though and they uselessly changed a tiny part of the syntax. (for no reason, I think).