Explanations

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Explanations

Post by Marinus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Edit: Topictitle changed from:

Patrick and Tyteen; please explanation!

Tyteen: I don't understand. Actually I only know the word "off" as: switching something off. The light, the computer, the CD player, etc. So I don't know what you mean with that, in this situation.

And what rule are you talking about? I would have assumed that you were talking about "I hate", but you only quoted my post, not EEE's post. And if it's about the word "crap" If I remember right, Patrick also used that word. So again; What are you talking about?
Patrick wrote:Marinus: do watch your language/tone,
Please tell me what you mean.
Last edited by Marinus on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: Patrick and Tyteen; please explanation!

Post by TheoX » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Marinus wrote:
Patrick wrote:Marinus: do watch your language/tone,
Please tell me what you mean.
I think what MS was pointing out is that your responses to eee were very harsh. Perhaps he wants you to set a better example in terms of arguing in a civil manner, instead of being like the Dr. House in your avatar. :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:04 am

Thanks Theo, I really appreciate your reply. Also I feel honored being compared with Dr. House. :D

But... Was my response more harsh then EEE's post?

I also would like to get response from Tyteen and Patrick.

BTW Theo, did you like the music links I posted in the "Seizure topic"? (You know the one made by Blink, with the red blue and green flasihng seizuring animations?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:12 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:Qloof, are you sure you're up for this?
Yeah, I worded my post there a bit wrong, probably because I got a half hour of sleep last night, sorry.

What I mean is that while it's okay for eee to not like RTW, that doesn't mean that people should adjust to fit his needs. Likewise, the same goes for everyone - we all have our different preferences, but we shouldn't have to change them for only one person. Everyone's opinion is important, of course, but no one should have to change theirs just because someone else disagrees.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 am

Qloof, I agree (at least more then 50 %)

Maybe I should explain better:
EEE wrote:I hate {something that Patrick made}
then I wrote:I hate {something that EEE made}(who cares)
What's the difference? Who-cares, please give me an explanation, please!

You all know that it's annoying me most, if I'm in the middle of my talking, and then suddenly the microphone shut down. :evil:
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 am

So much for locking a thread... another one just pops up.

Qloof: Sorry, you misunderstood. I didn't mean to criticize your post, I was just jokingly asking if you feel you're up to dealing with the craziness of the off-topic section.

Marinus: As others pointed out, I did ask you to watch your own tone in order to set a better example. No, eee's posting is not appropriate, but he got banned for it once, and may again if he doesn't watch it. If you post in the same manner, even just as a response, do I ban you as well? I don't want to ban anyone (it's a nuisance), so I'm asking everyone to watch their posting behaviour, even (or especially) in an argument.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:23 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:Qloof: Sorry, you misunderstood. I didn't mean to criticize your post, I was just jokingly asking if you feel you're up to dealing with the craziness of the off-topic section.
Ohhh, I see. Yeah, I'm still up to it, though. :wink:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 am

Patrick wrote:So much for locking a thread... another one just pops up.
Indeed, but this one you can't consider spam, (because it's definitely not pointless) and you can't ignore it either. :wink:

Thanks for answering. I think I understand what you mean, and I partly agree with you, generally, but this situation was an exception.

I hope I made my point clear that sayings like:
I hate {something you like / something you made}
or
{something.....} sucks
have become way too common/normal on this forum. That was actually my second reason that I said that. I think it doesn't happen often that I use such words, but if the pressure keeps increasing, anyhow there will be an explosion.

And about "spammy" behavior of some people; I got an idea for my next contest: "How many of my topics are locked on the first page" 8)
Patrick wrote:I was just jokingly asking if you feel you're up to dealing with the craziness of the off-topic section.
Can be a hard job, especially if you're not allowed to act like Dr. House. Good luck! :D
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:34 am

Marinus wrote:But... Was my response more harsh then EEE's post?
No, but that doesn't make a different though. You were both harsh. This is a rule:
Midnight Synergy wrote:...Play Nice!
We hope to create a friendly and respectful environment for you, and we ask you to help us keep it that way. Keep personal attacks and arguments out of the posts - you may use private messages for that purpose, if must be. We'd just prefer that, before sending someone a scathing message, you instead take a nice walk, get some fresh air, and hopefully return to the discussion calmed and refreshed.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:57 am

Saying someone else's posts are crap is extremely rude. Even though that user might have some of their posts as spam (in your opinion), he still has a chance to express his opinion about hating RTW. Maybe he really hates it.

And yes, you do not necessarily need to care about his opinion. His opinion is his, and has nothing to do with you (except you want to try to convince him by proving FACTS that might change his mind - and again, common sense, don't go too far)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:27 am

BB, I already got that, but thanks anyway. :wink:

And do you believe that going for a walk, and then sending EEE a PM, asking him at a friendly way to stop his way of behavior, would have made any difference?

Let me tell you a little secret. I can look into the future. This is what's going to happen:

B: No
M: So, why should I have done that?
B: Because the rules say so.
M: And does your way of pointing out rules usually work well?
B: No, but at least I'm keeping the rules.
M: And why is that so important?
B: Because those are the rules. We should obey them, and I hope everyone will realize that I am right.
A, C-Z: *facepalm*

Did you notice that EEE has been quiet, after my "harsh" post? It's probably not going to happen that everyone realizes that I'm right, and I think it's not important either. If only history would prove me right. :wink:

Tyteen, thanks for replying. :)
he still has a chance to express his opinion about hating RTW. Maybe he really hates it.
I would have said: "don't like", instead of "hate". Sounds a bit different, right? I only used the word because he, and many more people are using it. You can't grind a diamond with just a stone.

Edit: I've also been acting harsh or rude to you, Tyteen, a long long time ago, and to ^_^, not so long ago, and now we're all pretty good friends aren't we? :wink:
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Marinus wrote:BB, I already got that, but thanks anyway. :wink:

And do you believe that going for a walk, and then sending EEE a PM, asking him at a friendly way to stop his way of behavior, would have made any difference?
That rule is outdated. I think the walk is just a suggestion, and of course we could write more formally like the 3.studIo rules:
Trolling is posting something rude or offensive on purpose. Flamming is a verbal attack on one or more users. Please consider other's feelings before posting. There is a difference between posting your opinion ‘Cats are nice, but I’m a dog lover myself.’ and saying ‘Cats suck, and you’re an idiot for liking them.’ Trolling and Flamming are not tolerated and will be deleted.
Let me tell you a little secret. I can look into the future. This is what's going to happen:

B: Because those are the rules. We should obey them, and I hope everyone will realize that I am right.
I lol'd for some reason.

But yes, BB, please really bring out evidence to support your opinion. (Or did I miss them?)
Did you notice that EEE has been quiet, after my "harsh" post? It's probably not going to happen that everyone realizes that I'm right, and I think it's not important either. If only history would prove me right. :wink:
Doesn't sound 'wrong' if it was from Patrick, but somehow people feel that it sounds 'wrong' if it is from a member, like you and me. I don't know why, maybe because you normally won't patrol around the park and tell people "Pick up your trash or I will send you to jail!"

(But wait, jail? Nah.)

Tyteen, thanks for replying. :)
he still has a chance to express his opinion about hating RTW. Maybe he really hates it.
I would have said: "don't like", instead of "hate". Sounds a bit different, right? I only used the word because he, and many more people are using it. You can't grind a diamond with just a stone.
Yes, expression do matter a lot. They have changed a lot too. In the old days "You bastard" is already too rude to be acceptable, but now? It's everywhere, and I of course can provide more examples (but that will be out of the rule). I think Patrick find it not nice because of the word "hate", and the "Who cares?" part seemed like you are trying to start a possible flamewar.

(Yes I know some parts aren't related :lol:)
Edit: I've also been acting harsh or rude to you, Tyteen, a long long time ago, and to ^_^, not so long ago, and now we're all pretty good friends aren't we? :wink:
That's how people get along. Without knowing and understanding each other, friendship is impossible (exceptions anyone? :lol:)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Marinus wrote:Let me tell you a little secret. I can look into the future. This is what's going to happen:

:stinkylol:
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
eee226
Rainbow Star

Post by eee226 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:So much for locking a thread... another one just pops up.You always lock my thread.What is spam?
sometimes, kiwis have to die
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:09 pm

Small, or Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages (They use to say)

Talking while you actually have nothing to say what someone else finds interesting. Also talking without listening to what someone else says.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Marinus wrote:Also talking without listening to what someone else says.
That's ignorant.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Tyteen, the rule you mentioned from 3Studio, if I'm right I said earlier that I agree with, and I'll try to keep it most of times.
Doesn't sound 'wrong' if it was from Patrick, but somehow people feel that it sounds 'wrong' if it is from a member, like you and me.
My knowledge about how other people feel is mostly from experience, but I don't have much intuition for that, so, maybe you're right. The other things you said I mostly agree with.
That's ignorant.
You mean it's not spam? Nevermind, I think people who post spam, are also ignorant then in most situations.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Marinus wrote:
That's ignorant.
You mean it's not spam? Nevermind, I think people who post spam, are also ignorant then in most situations.
Nope, I mean that kind of people is described as 'ignorant people'.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Patrick wrote:If people would start ignoring some of the spammy posts instead of adding 10 posts of discussion to them, many would go away on their own without being....

.... locked.
True!

On the other hand, we wouldn't have had all the fun, and .....

... maybe even more important:

EEE wouldn't have had any idea why we all ignored him!
eee226
Rainbow Star

Post by eee226 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:34 pm

I am very young and I am not a teenager too.That is why I am posting things that Midnight Synergy Does not like.
sometimes, kiwis have to die
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Marinus wrote:Let me tell you a little secret. I can look into the future. This is what's going to happen:

That would not happen. The taking a walk and sending a PM is just a suggestion. And you can't honestly believe that rude + rude can = peace?
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 pm

eee226 wrote:I am very young and I am not a teenager too.That is why I am posting things that Midnight Synergy Does not like.
I think so too. And also, if, before any of your posts, you ask yourself the questions: "Would other people find interesting what I'm going to say?" and, "Would my post not be annoying to other people, especially some older people?" it probably would help a lot.

I have to admit I acted pretty rude to you yesterday, and I really wouldn't have done that if I didn't believe it was for the good purpose. I assume that you read what I said about that later, and that you understand, if you talk about something that the other person(s) made, or like very much, that you shouldn't say: "I hate that". Believe me, Jesus wouldn't like it. (But that's maybe off-topic, sorry BB 8) )
BB wrote:That would not happen.
We'll never know. Once you know the future, you can change it.
The taking a walk and sending a PM is just a suggestion.
Please remind me of that if we continue our "pirate talking". And with continue I definitely don't mean: doing it over and over again.
And you can't honestly believe that rude + rude can = peace?
In most situations probably not, but in some situations: Yes!
Just in case you didn't read, I wrote: I've also been acting harsh or rude to you, Tyteen, a long long time ago, and to ^_^, not so long ago, and now we're all pretty good friends aren't we?
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Marinus wrote:
And you can't honestly believe that rude + rude can = peace?
In most situations probably not, but in some situations: Yes!
Just in case you didn't read, I wrote: I've also been acting harsh or rude to you, Tyteen, a long long time ago, and to ^_^, not so long ago, and now we're all pretty good friends aren't we?
You don't honestly think that is the reason which solved the situation? That made the entire situation so much worse. Being harsh never solves any situations. Please explain why it would.
eee226 wrote:I am very young and I am not a teenager too.That is why I am posting things that Midnight Synergy Does not like.
I am very young and I am not a teenager too (but I will be in less than a week). I am not posting things that Midnight Synergy does not like.
Marinus wrote:
BB wrote:That would not happen.
We'll never know. Once you know the future, you can change it.
I can assure you I would not.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm not going to explain that, at least... not yet. Let history/time judge me. There are certain things you have to learn by experience, instead of other people explain them to you. Only one thing I will say about it yet: Is EEE acting today the same as he did yesterday? Definitely not! He's nice playing in his own little babysit corner.
I am not posting things that Midnight Synergy does not like.
Yes, you are a very good example by keeping the rules yourself! But not by pointing them out. But again; we may talk about that later in the pirate talking.
Also, In my opinion, and probably in lots of people's opinion, you are quite different then most people. Therefore comparing EEE with yourself doesn't make any sense.
I can assure you I would not.
Good for you. :D
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Marinus wrote:...In my opinion, and probably in lots of people's opinion, you are quite different then most people. Therefore comparing EEE with yourself doesn't make any sense.
But we are both children and he or she said that is why Midnight Synergy didn't like his or her posts.
Marinus wrote:I have to admit I acted pretty rude to you yesterday, and I really wouldn't have done that if I didn't believe it was for the good purpose. I assume that you read what I said about that later, and that you understand, if you talk about something that the other person(s) made, or like very much, that you shouldn't say: "I hate that". Believe me, Jesus wouldn't like it.
You were mean too (Marinus).
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:23 pm

But we are both children
A giraffe and a mouse are both animals, but the giraffe doesn't say to the mouse: But I can take the leafs from the tree so you should do the same.
You were mean too
I was rude or harsh or whatever, not mean. Also we have discussed this before. No need to point it out again.

Something else I would like to tell you: I'm your father. Well, not really of course; your mother didn't want to, but in a manner of speaking. I think you're even more autistic then I am, and there are so many things in the way you act, that I recognize the little boy I used to be (and maybe still am a bit) Such as repeating behavior in a vicious circle. Everything must have a reason and an explanation. Everything must be exactly correct and perfect. The rules must be suitable for every possible situation. Everyone should realize that I am right. Everything must be logical etc. etc.

I think that's the reason I like you and that I talk so much with you. Maybe someway I'm trying to fix some things on you which have gone wrong with myself. And I wouldn't want you to experience all the same I experienced. But please don't ask for an explanation for this part, because it's more of a feeling then something which is logical to explain.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:16 am

That is not an excuse.
Marinus wrote:Something else I would like to tell you: I'm your father.
OMG NO!
Well, not really of course; your mother didn't want to, but in a manner of speaking.
Aw, you ruin all the fun.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:15 am

billy bob wrote:
Marinus wrote:...In my opinion, and probably in lots of people's opinion, you are quite different then most people. Therefore comparing EEE with yourself doesn't make any sense.
But we are both children and he or she said that is why Midnight Synergy didn't like his or her posts.
It's not the poster, it's the content and quality of the posts themselves.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:20 am

Tyteen wrote:That is not an excuse.
Of course not, at least if you mean: It's not a good reason, that EEE would be allowed to behave like that. On the other hand, it is a good explanation about the cause of his behavior, and I think it's also a pretty big step into the right direction, that he realizes that and says it on the forum. Therefore I wonder if it's the right thing for BB and you (Tyteen) to discourage that.

About the joke; I thought I couldn't take the risk, telling a young boy on an internet forum that I'm his father, without saying, it's just in a manner of speaking. :wink:

Also the stuff I wanted to say was pretty serious, and sort of personal. Maybe some people would think think I'm crazy telling that, but well, as long as they don't say and have a good reason for that.... But for me it was a reason to say it was a joke before telling those things.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:03 am

Marinus wrote:
But we are both children
A giraffe and a mouse are both animals, but the giraffe doesn't say to the mouse: But I can take the leafs from the tree so you should do the same.
I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm telling everyone to not do some things.
Marinus wrote:Maybe someway I'm trying to fix some things on you which have gone wrong with myself.
Wrong?
Qloof234 wrote:
billy bob wrote:
It's not the poster, it's the content and quality of the posts themselves.
OK.