Hekate's Words!!

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

Hekate's Words!!

Post by Hekate » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:26 pm

For Words Of The Day dating before Wednesday, August 17, look ( :shock: ) at the Introductions topic in the Meet And Greet Forum :!: :arrow: Wednesday and Thursday, August 17 and 18, were rather busy days for me, so don't have any words of the day. Words of the day are not given on weekends. Now that the Particulars are set, let's begin!

:!: WORD OF THE DAY :arrow: Cultivar= (Horticultural, Genetic Engineering) a plant that contains desirable characteristics, used as a starter plant in genetic engineering.
If this leaves you wanting more, Coming soon: WORD OF THE DAY*2!
Once in a long while, I will give you a new word, FOR EXPERT ETYMOLOGISTS ONLY! How about a 2 4 1 deal! ETYMOLOGISTS= a scientist who studies the roots of words, in order to discover WHY , for instance, cold means cold and abandoned means alone!

DESSICATE= to dry up, dehydrate

That's a largely unknown word, but it leaves me cold as far as definition. I think ONE MORE WORD would make enough to say so!

DIADEM= A crown or Tiara.

No, STILL not quite enough.

DIAPHONOUS= so dainty as to be transparent, as "their cold, unfriendly ways makes me feel diaphonous", in which it is used as akin to "invisible".

I think that was enough...

Makes you a little bit :? :? :? , doesn't it! Let's see all of you using them in a sentence! ENJOY!
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:22 pm

How about this for a word of the day.....

Floccinaucinihilipilification - the act of estimating as worthless.

If you're into recycling then you're an antifloccinaucinihilipilificationalist. :D :D

No need to use it in a sentence, just try to pronounce it. :shock:

Flocky-nocky-ni-hilly-pilly-fication. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Pauline
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:31 am

Good one Pauline :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

Wololo...

Post by Hekate » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:37 pm

That's a major WOLOLO :? moment! That makes even me want to set every dictionary in the multiverse on fire and push them off a cliff, cackling madly!

:!: Look :shock: Here :arrow: :!: WORD OF THE DAY- Embrication= lotion, liniment, or ointment. I use aloe-containing embrications when I get a burn or bee sting. :twisted: Mwah Ha Ha!

P.S. This post also contains a bit of Hekate's extensive knowledge of herbal medicines!

P.P.S. I plan on obtaining a copy of the book from which I transcribed the first few words from memory, until then, words like these come from the dictionary or my own knowledge.
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

I found Me in there

Post by Hekate » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:07 pm

I was amazed at the great picture the dictionary had of me next to todays word: Turgid(ter-jid)=a grandiloquist or punnist, someone who uses large, mostly unknown words in everyday speech! A grandiloquent synonym for Hekate! What a coincedence that I found this word! :lol: :D :idea:

Several years since Kermit began, and it still ain't easy to be :mrgreen:

I use that so much, I should put it in my signature!
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:33 am

In my dictionary Turgid means 'bombastic or rhetorical'. Bombastic and grandiloquent both mean 'hollow, pompous and inflated language'. Rhetorical a very similar meaning.

So does that mean that you use big words when small ones would suffice? :?

But I haven't seen you using any big words yet, except for giving the definition of them, and even then they weren't terribly big words. Or unknown words either, come to think of it.

I don't think you're turgid at all, are you, you little tinker. :wink: :lol: :lol:

PS. Please don't turn me into a frog. :D :D
Pauline
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

Hey-I'm a bronzie!

Post by Hekate » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:51 pm

Oh,I just realized- I'm a bronzie now! I'm quite :D with myself, even though that's the lowest rank!

Anyway, I thought i'd give you all some extra fun!
Let's go Abecedarian!
Aprosexia- Inability to concentrate, senility.Another useful one for excuses.(see alopecia)
Autochthon-Original Inhabitant, a grandiloquent synonym for Aboriginal.
Bathybius- An inorganic, gelatinous mass found in the ocean's depths.
Bavardage- Foolish or empty chattering, Like much of what all of you do! :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: Nah, I don't think it's bavardage at all.
Bellwether- A male sheep who leads the flock, having a bell tied about his neck. Hence, anyone who takes initiative and leads a group of less than purposeful peers.
Calefacient-A medical agent producing a feeling of warmth. Perhaps, to preserve one's dignity in front of non-drinking guests, one might ask for a Hot Toddy as a Calefacient.
Cardialgia- Heartburn. Due to it's air of urgency, also useful for excuses.
Chrematophobia-Fear of money. If anyone suffers from this disease, PM me and I will tell you where you can mail the feared object to me, and never fear again!
Contradistinction-contrast, as in "In contradistinction to"
Contraindicated-Inadvisable. A very technical term.
Daffodowndilly- Daffodil. The amusing, common usages of this grandiloquism are very obvious, so why should I need to tell you?
Deterration- The act not of deterring, but of uncovering by reoving "terra", or earth. Useful grandiloquism for bathing.
Ergasiophobia0Fear of work. Another one for the "Sick Leave" Forms!
Euthinics- Improving the condition of humans by improving their surroudings, in contradistinction to Environmentalism, the effort to improve the surroundings of humans by improving the humans. Useful in its proximity to Euthenasia.

Just catching my breath.
Be Warned: Medical Information on Diseases Ahead :Potential Pukeing!!

Framboesia-A contagious, tropical disease chacterized by red and yellow rasberry-like swellings. Useful for illwishing, along with murrain: an infectios cattle disease; Pellagra: skin deterioration, diahrrhea, and mental decay; Alopecia; Seborrhoeia: dandruff; quinsy: an abscess on the tonsils; rhinorrhea: runny nose; acariasis: infestation by mites; parotitis: mumps; rinderpest: cattle-plague; and malanders: a scaaby abscess behind horse's knees who have the disease of the same name.

Medical Section over, enjoy!

Hamadryad- One of three totally different things: A tree-nymph, a venomous Indian snake, or an Abyssinian baboon. Quite useful if a disguised insult is needed, for the obvious fallback of "nymph" if the word's meaning is known by the insulted.
Hircine-goatish. Another useful word for concealed insults.

Hmmm... That would seem more than enough for one day, I shall pick up again on Monday.
Ta!
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:55 am

You must be an awesome scrabble player, Hekate! :D
SharonM
kiki
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by kiki » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:50 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Keeks
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:43 am

SharonM wrote:You must be an awesome scrabble player, Hekate! :D
Or likes to type A LOT from the dictionary, & has to much time on her hands ... or is a Bavardager ( to use one of Hekates words) :wink:
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

Hmm... I'll take that one as a compliment...

Post by Hekate » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:15 pm

I do believe those were meant as compliments, I'm taking them as compliments anyway... But honestly, I'm a little bit of all three. Anywhooooo...

:!: :!: IT IS TIME!! :!: :!:

Idiotropic- Turned in upon oneself, introspective. Also as in "idioticon"-the private possesion of someONE, which is the property, interestingly, of the owner, and not the owned; and idiotropian, a characteristic peculiar to an individual, the t is misleading, the meaning is more of "idiosyncracy" than idiot, but not many people know this! :twisted:

Ineffable- Unutterable. Most people have heard this one, but do not fully understand it's meaning, it is pretty much only apliccable to bores and bliss. Bores, in fact, are rarely anything BUT ineffable!

Ineluctable- Unescapable. Note that the meaning is not as unavoidable, but more like if something is not avoided, it is impossible to, from it's latin root, "struggle out of".

Ingravescent- Growing worse or more severe. First a medical term, but can be used to slight effect as a faintly pejorative (insulting) word.

Inpissate- to thicken a liquid by evaporation.

Isomorphic-Like any show dog and it's owner, looking the same but of differing ancestry.

Itaiitai- A bone disease caused by cadmium. Derived from the japanese "Ouch, Ouch" :shock: :) !

Jape- A prank or joke. Useful pejorative.

Jobation- A long, tiresome lecture or scolding. I'll let you work with this one on your own. :twisted:

Kickshaw- A gimcrack or gewgew- all three mean trinket or knickknack.

Kinetosis- Motion Sickness. Good for excuses.

Kopophobia- Fear of exhaustion. Also great for excuses!

Limaceous- sluglike.

Lipitude- Bleary eyes. Useful, along with Lucifugous, for the description of a hangover.

Lucifugous- Avoiding light. Useful, with Lipitude, for describing a hangover.

Merrythought- An archaism for a wishbone.

Mucilage- Glue. Quite useful for it's similarity to mucous! :twisted:

I'll continue at a later time, my kopophobia is kicking in.
Oh, and Laura N., Congratulations on using one of the words in a sentence! Ten Points!
wolfcub
Silver Wonderlander

Post by wolfcub » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:08 pm

I quite like reading this thread as it it is very interesting. I find that the need to better yourself through the gaining of knowlege is a very noble thing, and this thread helps that cause. due to this I would like to say thanks Hekate, and keep 'em coming :D :D :D :D
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

I blush at your appreciation.

Post by Hekate » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:46 pm

Aww, you're making me blush! :oops: I appreciate it, Wolfcub! I share those beliefs. It is always good to further yourself through language and other development. BTW, Wow, a werewolf! I'm part werewolf!

Anywho, back to business.
Muliebrity- femininity. A compliment that sounds like an insult due to the similarity to mulishness.

Mussitation- murmuring and grumbling. Good use when you are in an argument with your spouse! "Oh, stop your mussitations, Henry, and just take out the [insert colorful adjective of your choice here] trash!" :lol: :lol:

Napiform- turnip shaped. good for comments on the shape of a head.

Naupathia- seasickness. Another great word to get out of work.

Nepenthe- Something that brings furgetfullnes of sorrow and suffering. Good to use along with calefacient.

Nepheligenous- Producing a cloud or smoky vapor. Good little grandiloquism for a pipe-smoker.

Nocent and Nocous- two rarely used synonyms for harmful. A moment of thought will bring you to the realization that these are the roots of the words innocent and innocous. Perhaps the usage gap is the same as the one between uncouth and couth- we just like to use words that have been negated by a prefix.

Nosopoetic- causing disease, unhygienic. A delightful disguised pejorative. Useful when your smitten older sister has written yet another "work of art" of a ditty for her beloved and has asked you to sample it as though it were a new flavor of ice cream.

Odontalgia and Odontiasis- Toothache and teething, respectively. Useful for excuses- "I'll have to take off work tomorrow, Mr. Branson. I'm taking my son to a pediatric professional to check the progress of his odontiasis."

Onymous- I'll let you figure this out on your own, with the sole hint of checking on the nocent behavior of your nearby and N-bearing knowledge-bearers.

Parturition- Childbirth. Far preferable synonym for Maternity.

Peradventure- a wonderful grandiloquism for perhaps.

Plenilunary- pertaining to the full moon. With the earlier talk of werewolves, thought this one would be delightful.

Procerity-Height. At school picture time, your child comes home and heads straight for the dictionary because the photographer said "Those who display procerity, head to the back, please" during the group photo.

By the way, the contest for "how many words can you use in a sentence" is still on, it has to be casual writing, and you have to PM me to tell me where it is, I don't check all the new posts. Even though I have points (10 a word), it isn't really a contest, because it goes on as far as I can stretch it! Bye!
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:58 am

Hekate wrote:Nocent and Nocous- two rarely used synonyms for harmful. A moment of thought will bring you to the realization that these are the roots of the words innocent and innocous. Perhaps the usage gap is the same as the one between uncouth and couth- we just like to use words that have been negated by a prefix.

I've heard of innocuous, with the extra u. Is this the same word, but you spell it differently over there, like flavor-flavour or favorite-favourite? I know how you like to miss out the u's. :wink: Or have you just misspelled it? Only, since you did it twice, I thought it might be the former. :? :D
Pauline
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

OOPS!

Post by Hekate » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:01 pm

I read your post, double-checked, and I did misspell it :oops: :oops:

Anyway, CAREFULLY!

Quacksalver- The full form of "Quack", It's being unknown to most of the populace may cause it to be unchallenged if referenced even in a room full of doctors.

Quaquaversal- facing in all directions at once, as a pyramid or the Roman god Janus

Querimony- Complaint.

Quidnunc- Gossipper.

Resipescence- Recognizing one's own error, what I did earlier in this post.

Rodomontade- Empty Bragging and boasting. For good use by a politician-"I will speak no ill of my opponent, we all know well that he is well known for his speeches of industrious rodomontade."

Sapid- Flavorful, Lively. The opposite of things like Vapid and Insipid, but suggestive of both.

Sempiternal- Eternal.

Shandygaff- A mixture of ginger ale(ginger beer across the pond, I think...) and beer that was the precursor to the Shandy, is preferable to the abbreviated version.

Shittlecock- From Scytel (Bolt), the original form of Shuttlecock, the original word for a badminton birdie.

Slubberdegullion- a slob or wretch.

Stentorophonic- Speaking loudly. Goes well with sermocinatious, meaning given to producing long speeches.

Stupefying- Inducing stupor. Note the similarity to "Stupendous."Good to go with incredible, which actually means that something is a huge, obvious lie, especially when describing a lecture by a history professor. By the way, Incredulous is an adjective good for describing someone who is given to disbelieving anything they hear.

Trilemma- A problematic situation where there are not two, as in a dilemma, but three. Quadrilemma for four, quintilemma is five, et hoc genus omne (meaning "And all that sort of thing, grandiloquism for et cetera"

That Is All- The phrase here being used to suggest that the last word for today has been defined and the author of this post is now about to pore over the rest of this forum.
Davimad
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Davimad » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:53 am

Seems Hekate has lost her dictionary, terrible to be lost for words. :wink: :lol:
Minnie. (Polly's big sis)

Image Thanks to Kymmie.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:29 am

I think she might be suffering from grandiloquilitis. :wink: :lol:
Pauline
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

I've been out!

Post by Hekate » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:27 pm

Actually, no, I just have been using my free time differently- I wasted a lot of my time off, and I just got Secret Worlds about 11 days ago. I have been doing practically nothing but trying to finish the final level for five days now. I am slowly going crazy. I must reach for the light...

Anyway, there are two words today, check out my post on a thread about secret worlds ( I found it by searching for "stinker rescue ice" with the second search option (all words)) and look for the secret on the post if you are having trouble. It's not very secret though, I got a dark post (even post number) and the white shows up really well... But I've said too much. Do something with the words, but don't put them where somebody else could cheat.
Superterv
Rainbow Master

Post by Superterv » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:35 pm

I have to say that I struggle to read your posts Hekate, the colour for people with problems with sight is awful. Its an interesting thread, any chance you could choose a clearer colour though please.
ImageSuperterv, Founder of the *K9 Carers*,
ann3120
Rainbow Star

Post by ann3120 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:32 pm

Superterv wrote: the colour for people with problems with sight is awful
Thank you SuperT, I do have the same problem.

As everyone probably knows by now Purple is my favourite colour and I do like to use it on occasion.

Perhaps, Hekate, you could consider adding "bold" to it, or going to a larger font
or even both ! ! ! ! ! !
Mrs. Annie Purple Hat
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Hekate, I'll third that motion, as strange & interesting as I find your posts, I also find the color you choose to type in very annoying & I give up reading after about the 3rd line. My eyes just can't take the strain.
If you could consider another color, some of us may see you more clearly :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

COLO(U)R-CHANGE

Post by Hekate » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:49 pm

Request Received, please tell which colo(u)r is easiest.
dylan1298
Rainbow Wizard

Post by dylan1298 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:04 pm

Red, Blue, or Purple looks great- I can even read it without my contacts :twisted:
Superterv
Rainbow Master

Post by Superterv » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:06 pm

All except the last (olive) are very acceptable for me - thanks Hakate
ImageSuperterv, Founder of the *K9 Carers*,
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:28 pm

I'm with Lisa, Red, Blue or Purple... Blue works best for me though. :wink:
Thanks Hekata. :D
ann3120
Rainbow Star

Post by ann3120 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:39 pm

Superterv wrote:All except the last (olive) are very acceptable for me
I agree. Many thanks.
Mrs. Annie Purple Hat
Andrea
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Andrea » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:27 am

They are all readable, but I'd say blue is the easiest to read.
Hekate
Silver Wonderlander

Thanks!

Post by Hekate » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:00 pm

It seems that blue is the most well-liked, so I picked it. I have no words right now, but I am looking for help making a (Walkable)3D model of the Rainbow Coins, Rainbow Exit, and Bonus Coins. Anyone, help would be much appreciated! :D :!: :!: :!: