We are all breaking the law!

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
BIGZIPZ
Rainbow Master

We are all breaking the law!

Post by BIGZIPZ » Sun May 30, 2004 10:43 pm

Yes yes yes! we have all sat set the VCR to record our favourite program whilst we went out for a meal, nipped round to see friends, or had a nice bath. Watching a show as it airs, especially if it is live, is great, but if you tape it you can skip over the ads with the fast forward button.

Apparently this is illegal, and makes those who skip the ad break on there favourite shows theifs!
It's theft. Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on an ad-supported basis. Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming."

The full interview can be read here: http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1113

P.S Who says its theft? none other than the CEO's :) naturally!
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Mon May 31, 2004 12:10 am

:shock:

not me.......I always watch the taped commercials!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
and I am Polly, Minnie's little sister.
BIGZIPZ
Rainbow Master

Post by BIGZIPZ » Mon May 31, 2004 12:14 am

hehe - i wonder if skipping the trailers on a dvd or video is illegal too! I hope not because they could get me with that one big time! mind you saying that, the dvd's I buy now, dont let you skip the trailers!

Are popup blockers illegal then? hehe this opens up a whole can of worms.

I was doing some research at college, and if i follow UK copyright law to the book, im not allowed to have copies of my fave cd's in the car! I have to buy a seperate copy for each location I want to play them in! They got me there !

When I lend my friends my DVD's for the weekend, they got me there too!
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon May 31, 2004 7:16 am

Well I break the law without my VCR's help, cos I turn over when the ads come on. No-one is going to make me watch commercials - that's torture. :P

And I thought the copyright law said you could copy cd's etc. if it was for back up purposes, for your own personal use, and you weren't making a profit from it.

And if you can't lend your dvd's to friends, how do libraries get round it?

While we're on the subject, I scan a lot of books for my son (he's a student), so is that illegal too? :roll:
Pauline
BIGZIPZ
Rainbow Master

Post by BIGZIPZ » Mon May 31, 2004 11:12 am

And if you can't lend your dvd's to friends, how do libraries get round it?

Libraries are allowed to do stuff other places aren't, for example you scan newspapers there, it's all funded by the taxpayer anyways. I found alsorts out in this big nasty looking book in the Business Studies workshop, stuff like, when you buy a piece of software on a CD, you don't own the software, only the right to install it ya computer.

The Music CD thing is right, it's technically a no no, to copy a music CD for your car, and have it playing in 2 locations at the same time :) you can however make one copy in the event that your orignal busts up, but having a copy of Micheal Jacksons CD down stairs, a copy in your sisters bedroom, one in Dad's car, and another in the PC listening to, is a big no no.

Of course in real life, your house will not be raided at 5am by heavily armed anti terrorist officers, accusing you of copying your Micheal jackson CD to raise money for terrorism, in the same way that millions of items in Carboot sales this past Sunday, were sold without paying VAT ;)
or the fact that almost all of the country commits a traffic crime (those who drive) many times a day (of course no-one is going to pull you over for breaking the speed limit by 2 mph) hehe
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:23 am

hey Zippy, I just got done naming and saving everyones pic in a wonderland folder for keeps.....do you remember right off hand where you put your pic on in here???? I'd like to add it to the group............

also if discgolfer is out there, I'd like yours too............

Nothing like remembering a 'family' member than a picture.
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
BIGZIPZ
Rainbow Master

Post by BIGZIPZ » Mon May 31, 2004 11:42 am

Here we are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Mon May 31, 2004 12:07 pm

Oh thank you......my family album would not be complete without you :D
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....