The Ultimate WA Editor Hex-Editing Topic! Take A Look!

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Re: A BREAKTHROUGH! (cont'd)

Post by cbloopy » Fri May 01, 2009 11:55 pm

AJQZC wrote:I don't seem to quite understand. :roll:
Can we use the adventures made from this new Editor directly (with all the MoFI models and objects), or must they only be run in MoFI?
The adventures made from this new hacked Editor can be played in WA Editor's wg.exe, if they don't use the new MOFI models and objects. This is why it's okay to replace the old Editor.exe with mine; in fact it's recommended because the old Editor will MAV if you use it and accidentally browse to one of the WOPs that uses the new MOFI models.

Also note that you still can't open files from the MOFI game itself with this new hacked Editor. That problem will likely remain to be MOFILevelConverter's job to solve (in a future version).
Last edited by cbloopy on Sat May 02, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Re: A BREAKTHROUGH! (cont'd)

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 02, 2009 12:02 am

Clifford wrote:How did you do this? Using a decompilier???
As I explained to mdqar, I used a debugger to help me accomplish this.

There's no such thing as a decompiler anyway, they are for the most part really all just disassemblers which just turn the program from machine code (bytes) to assembly language (human-readable form of machine code, really just low-level instructions to the CPU). All decent debuggers are also capable of showing the machine code you're examining as assembly language. (Although typically if you have the original source files, it will be able to associate memory addresses in the machine code with lines in the source files, so typically you don't need to work with assembly language when you use a debugger to debug your own programs. Not in this case of course.) So a debugger is far more useful than a decompiler for this kind of work.

Because I don't own any Blitz3D software, the way I get in new code is I have to write my own program to handle the patching. And it's not really "new code" because as I explained, it's just copies of code already present in Editor.exe (to load models it knows about like houses), modified to load the new models. That way I don't have to program anything in machine code from scratch, which would've been more painful than getting shot with a gun.
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 am

cbloopy wrote: Go for it! Actually, if there's a way someone can set up a wiki, that will make it easier for everyone to contribute to making such a tutorial.

Here's an outline of all the knowledge that as been accumulated on this thread. Use it as a starting point for your tutorial website:
  1. how to use custom WOPs
    • what folders to put WOP files in and where they'd show up in the Editor as what
  2. how to apply custom textures to objects
    • introduce "TextureName" adjuster
      (include link/zip to modified Editor WOPs with added TextureName adjuster)
    • where to put custom object texture files
    • how to create custom object textures
      • where to find templates for object textures (answer: .wdf files in Data\Models\xxxx)
  3. "new" features available in WA Editor from WOPs:
    • POW magic (link to "Orange GloveCharge.wop")
      • difference from MOFI POW magic
    • bounce (missile) magic and MissileFlowers (link to WOPs/textures)
      • overview of magic's behavior
    • other magic-shooting flowers (Data1)
      • you can't freeze yourself with Brr
    • GC enhanced button
    • wooden box
    • arcade and tokens
    • other fun objects created by others
    • Tentacles are not avalible yet
  4. how to set up demo MOFI for your hub-based custom adventures
    • what is hub?
    • why MOFI? (answer: Editor support for hubs incomplete)
    • introduce Adventure Star wop (link to download)
      • how are the files stored? (Data\Adventures\AdventureXXX, Data\Adventures\Hub)
    • introduce MasterDatEditor (link to download)
      • explain what the options do
    • introduce Floing (CMD 115)
    • setting up demo MOFI for your use
      • localsaveon
      • create GameData folder for custom content (equivalent to Editor's User Data folder)
      • copy music files from Editor / edit the adventure to use other music files under the Music directory
      • new game always start at 1.wlv (37,8 )
        • how to "change" it via immediate redirect (LevelExit at starting location)
      • packaging the files into an installer
      • customizing various graphics (eg. loading screen graphics, main menu background, font, etc.)
    • new MOFI features you can easily make use of
      • Grow and Flo magic
      • rainbow coins and rainbow gates (link to WOPs)
      • magic shooters (link to WOPs)
      • waterfall (added Data0 for lava and acid waterfalls; link to WOP)
      • lava tiles (link to TP1)
        • note MOFI's standard watertex replaced rainbow with lava
      • map pieces
      • anything else?
      • CMD 116/117 (hat/accessory change)
    • (advance) how to set up a copy of MOFI to test individual custom adventures
      • note: played that way, custom adventure starts with Gloves, Glowgem, and Spy-eye
  5. Making use of new MOFI objects via MOFILevelConverter (link to program)
  6. Using shards and glyphs with hub-based adventures in MOFI
    • how to enable shards teleporting (CMD 114)
    • destinations of shards teleporting
    • glyphs and the Magic Mirror
    • destinations of glypys teleporting

Just asking, is the "wiki" above completed yet? :D
Last edited by AJQZC on Sat May 02, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 am

cbloopy, this error message appears when I try to open a level with both types of MoFI features, converted and not converted. :x

Can you please fix it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richmond2010
Rainbow Seeker

Post by richmond2010 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:49 am

cbloopy wrote:2) use the hex editor's search feature to find the following sequence of bytes (in hex):

Code: Select all

81 EC 08 00 00 00 B8 03 00 00 00 C1 E0 02 03 05 00 00 00 00
Double check that it only finds one occurrence of the above byte sequence in the file. If not then abort the remaining steps and let me know.

Occurrences found:
What is this? It doesn’t find any. I use XVI32.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 02, 2009 1:00 am

richmond2010 wrote:
cbloopy wrote:2) use the hex editor's search feature to find the following sequence of bytes (in hex):

Double check that it only finds one occurrence of the above byte sequence in the file. If not then abort the remaining steps and let me know.

Occurrences found:
What version of wg.exe are you trying this on? I've only tried MOFI demo version v1.02. Maybe the byte sequence is slightly different on some other versions. In particular I haven't tried it on the full version wg.exe.

[EDIT: nope, still works fine on full version. I can only assume you don't read what I posted and just tried it out on some random non-MOFI wg.exe.]
Last edited by cbloopy on Sat May 02, 2009 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 02, 2009 1:06 am

AJQZC wrote:cbloopy, this error message appears when I try to open a level with both types of MoFI features, converted and not converted. :x

Can you please fix it?
Whoops, okay I see what's going on, my program got confused because with the hacked Editor, you could now have !Obstacle46 (the MOFI bridge) directly in your level, while my program still thinks you can't. I'll fix it right away. Thanks for letting me know, first bug found by user!
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 02, 2009 2:12 am

mqdar wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:What if we could convert levels from WA into the WA Beta or vice versa? :shock:

I'm not suggesting cbloopy should go and try making a converter for it right this minute or directly after finishing the MoFI converter, but it's still a pretty cool thought, right?
:lol:
Yeah, it seems like a pretty good idea, but...

Since this is a beta, you know, it probably has extremely limited features and very little flexibility, because the programming would most likely be quick, messy, and very inefficient. :wink: :lol:

It still seems like it would be a good idea to try modifying some wop data in the wlv files. Who knows what else could've been snuck in there?
I tried out the WA Beta for the first time just now (I got it from the newsletter link). I'm a little hard pressed to understand why anyone would want to create custom levels in it. It looks pretty limited (is the game even winnable?) and I'm not really seeing any new models in there (the purple gate thing you can probably do using a custom object texture). The textures and related graphics are all there so nothing's preventing you from using those in WA Editor. And other than the draggable, freezable barrel, there is nothing new in there in terms of gameplay that isn't also in WA Editor.

The only thing of interest is that I finally understand the origins of the !Item model. That still works in the Editor but I've always wondered what the heck it is. I'll try it out on an actual level and see if it actually acts like an item (I kinda doubt it but who knows), and maybe I can release a WOP for that. But that's pretty much the only new thing I'm seeing. I'll also see if it's possible to resurrect the draggable barrel in WA Editor but I highly doubt it (it's obvious that the game engine changed a lot between the Beta and the final version).
richmond2010
Rainbow Seeker

Post by richmond2010 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:28 am

cbloopy wrote:
richmond2010 wrote:

Occurrences found:
What version of wg.exe are you trying this on? I've only tried MOFI demo version v1.02. Maybe the byte sequence is slightly different on some other versions. In particular I haven't tried it on the full version wg.exe.

[EDIT: nope, still works fine on full version. I can only assume you don't read what I posted and just tried it out on some random non-MOFI wg.exe.]
Nope. I was using MOFI demo v1.02. Weird.

EDIT: Wait... did you say wg.exe? Oops. I opened up Wonderland.exe.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:22 am

cbloopy wrote: I tried out the WA Beta for the first time just now (I got it from the newsletter link). I'm a little hard pressed to understand why anyone would want to create custom levels in it. It looks pretty limited (is the game even winnable?) and I'm not really seeing any new models in there (the purple gate thing you can probably do using a custom object texture). The textures and related graphics are all there so nothing's preventing you from using those in WA Editor. And other than the draggable, freezable barrel, there is nothing new in there in terms of gameplay that isn't also in WA Editor.

The only thing of interest is that I finally understand the origins of the !Item model. That still works in the Editor but I've always wondered what the heck it is. I'll try it out on an actual level and see if it actually acts like an item (I kinda doubt it but who knows), and maybe I can release a WOP for that. But that's pretty much the only new thing I'm seeing. I'll also see if it's possible to resurrect the draggable barrel in WA Editor but I highly doubt it (it's obvious that the game engine changed a lot between the Beta and the final version).
I'm fully aware that there's nothing beneficial to using the WA Beta (except that white power and the awesome looking glove diamond thing), but it's still an interesting thought, especially if Patrick were to give out a more finished version, unlikely as that is.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:41 am

DP: Interestingly enough, looking through the WA Beta's level coding reveals that they have the same general structure for .wop files.

Now, what's so interesting about this?

If someone actually had a year's amount of patience, there's a very small (and by that I mean a decimal of a chance) that we could find out how the white magic works.

Yes, I know, I'm one to talk about coding this kind of stuff. But I think that it's my turn to be a bit too optimistic for once. :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:44 am

T-P (Who'd have thought that there's so much stuff in this Beta?)
cbloopy wrote: The only thing of interest is that I finally understand the origins of the !Item model. That still works in the Editor but I've always wondered what the heck it is. I'll try it out on an actual level and see if it actually acts like an item (I kinda doubt it but who knows), and maybe I can release a WOP for that. But that's pretty much the only new thing I'm seeing. I'll also see if it's possible to resurrect the draggable barrel in WA Editor but I highly doubt it (it's obvious that the game engine changed a lot between the Beta and the final version).
I managed to get the !Item model loaded in the editor over the cuboid, so I'm guessing that pulling off that same trick I did with Custom Items -> Coins would allow us to put gloves in there.

Of course, it's just a wild guess, like my above post, but it's still interesting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 02, 2009 8:21 am

AJQZC wrote:cbloopy, this error message appears when I try to open a level with both types of MoFI features, converted and not converted. :x

Can you please fix it?
I've fixed the issue and uploaded a new version of MOFILevelConverter (0.1.2.0) at the usual post.

If you are using the hacked Editor, please upgrade to this newer version of MOFILevelConverter, or you may encounter problems like AJQZC did.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 02, 2009 8:38 am

Qloof234 wrote:I'm fully aware that there's nothing beneficial to using the WA Beta (except that white power and the awesome looking glove diamond thing), but it's still an interesting thought, especially if Patrick were to give out a more finished version, unlikely as that is.
Well, yes, he already released a more finished version; it's called "Wonderland Adventures". :lol: :wink:

If you're talking about another version that's between the Beta and the final version, that will depend on whether Patrick kept any copies of such a version, and even then we still don't know what has been cut by then. (The newsletter made it clear for example that the pixel-precise game physics is one of the first things they gotten rid of since the Beta.) And such a version is likely to be buggy, and obviously it makes little sense for Patrick to do any work (eg. fix bugs or fill in missing features) on a prerelease version of a game that's already been released 2 years ago.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:45 am

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:I'm fully aware that there's nothing beneficial to using the WA Beta (except that white power and the awesome looking glove diamond thing), but it's still an interesting thought, especially if Patrick were to give out a more finished version, unlikely as that is.
Well, yes, he already released a more finished version; it's called "Wonderland Adventures". :lol: :wink:

WIN.

As for the thing about the beta, I'm fully aware of that, I'm just being a bit... no, a lot... no, wait, way too optimistic about this. :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Re: putting monsters/NPCs next to springs: a WOP solution

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 02, 2009 12:15 pm

cbloopy wrote:As some of you might know (and Emerald141 discovered in her own adventure), if you put a monster or NPC next to a spring in a level, when the level starts the monster/NPC will be destroyed instead of sprung. :!: :shock: :?

Well, I think I've figured out how to work around that problem :idea: , by modifying the WOP data. So I've attached a set of WOPs which are identical to the normal monster/NPC WOPs, but with some additional data that seems to prevent the game from that destruction behavior.[...]

I've also attached a test level illustrating the difference between my WOPs and the original WOPs. [...]

(Oh, and yes, the test adventure is winnable, I'll leave it to you to figure out how...... :twisted: :wink: )
Sorry to bring up this relatively old post again, but I'm kinda wondering if anyone did manage to solve the test adventure. I thought the solution was kinda amusing, in a dark way anyway. If you're interested:
highlight to read wrote:If you move yourself to the tile immediately south of the water, and then keep clicking the tile immediately northwest of you (ie. west of the water), eventually you'd be able to click on the rapidly bouncing Wysp and have dialog with him. Wysp will tell you how agonizing the bouncing is and proceeds to commit suicide! :!: :twisted: :wink: He explodes himself in a burst of rainbow power that will activate the rainbow bridge and the star, allowing you to go across the water and pick up the star.

You can examine the level in the editor to figure out how that really works.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Pictures say a thousand words. :wink:

As for the file itself...

It's in the .zip file on this post - however, to use it, you need to download the image on this post to the WA Editor v96/Custom folder.

Something I want to point out so it doesn't become an issue later - Yes, I made the .wop file, set the model texture, made sure it acted the way it should have, etc. etc.

However, as for the texture changing (Data2), it's thanks to cbloopy for that - I ended up PMing him when my first attempts at this didn't work, and he suggested I try Data2 instead.

Despite this, there are still some kinks that need working out - the adventure included demonstrates what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure where these "kinks" are coming from myself, so I can't do anything about them at the moment.

Enjoy, I guess! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Sat May 02, 2009 6:26 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ect. ect. ect. :lol:
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Sat May 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Despite this, there are still some kinks that need working out
Sorry for DP but...

I didn't notice any "kinks" :? :?:
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm

It might be exclusive to my computer then, but the Spy-Eye and the Lamp show the wrong symbols.

Wait.

False alarm, I see what I did wrong - using the icons prototype set with this glitches out several icons. Whoops. :lol:
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Sun May 03, 2009 9:20 am

Wow...something new on WA Beta. :lol: :lol:
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun May 03, 2009 5:56 pm

BLUETOOTH! But how... :shock:

YOU BLUETOOTH PERSON!

*Nobody knows what I'm talking about*
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Sun May 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Nobody wrote:*Nobody knows what I'm talking about*
Ummm... :? :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 04, 2009 5:25 am

ok, you have a green hat, that's simple, stone coloured teleporter though?
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 04, 2009 5:26 am

Qloof234 wrote:Image

Pictures say a thousand words. :wink:

As for the file itself...

It's in the .zip file on this post - however, to use it, you need to download the image on this post to the WA Editor v96/Custom folder.

Something I want to point out so it doesn't become an issue later - Yes, I made the .wop file, set the model texture, made sure it acted the way it should have, etc. etc.

However, as for the texture changing (Data2), it's thanks to cbloopy for that - I ended up PMing him when my first attempts at this didn't work, and he suggested I try Data2 instead.

Despite this, there are still some kinks that need working out - the adventure included demonstrates what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure where these "kinks" are coming from myself, so I can't do anything about them at the moment.

Enjoy, I guess! :lol:
Ummm I don't think we should enjoy...

You forgot to change the byte!!! :lol:
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 04, 2009 5:40 am

Can you post a mofi wg.exe an editor wg.exe and editor.exe in blitz 3d format please cbloopy?

EDIT: his he mean and doen't want to answer (which I don't think he would) or is he working on it 24 hours non stop again. :roll:

EDIT2: Cbloopy e-mailed me and said that he's not going to make the converters, he's going to make the hacked editors.
Last edited by Clifford on Mon May 04, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Mon May 04, 2009 6:43 am

Clifford wrote:ok, you have a green hat, that's simple, stone coloured teleporter though?
I changed the models in the subdirectory. :wink: As for the "stone coloured" teleporter, I got it from this thread, thanks to Qloof. (It seems to fit the teleporter better)
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Mon May 04, 2009 7:41 am

Clifford wrote:Can you post a mofi wg.exe an editor wg.exe and editor.exe in blitz 3d format?
That's not exactly possible. Could you please stop being so hopeful?
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 04, 2009 8:16 am

I'm actually trying to turn it into an editor with mofi features like cbloopy did a bit. Then I might even think about making a platinum version! (If I have time. The platinum version... well let's say we had a stinker and you want it to wave, then when you actually place the model in the editor, then it'll wave!!!

Might even try to make custom models!!!

Don't think i can do this, but maybe a multicommand interchange!!!

I'm not going to let the file sit on my computer doing nothing!!!

EDIT: I found a visual basic decompilier, but of course, MOFI is NOT made with visual basic. :cry: :cry:
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Mon May 04, 2009 1:29 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Be thankful! :lol:
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves