Weird NPC Animation bug

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Weird NPC Animation bug

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:02 am

EDIT: NEVER MIND I FIGURED IT OUT

So I made a thread where I asked for support with various editor guff back before the WA3E came out (basically I kept crashing the game, because glasses, without knowing why). One of the bugs I encountered and asked for help with was... interesting. Quote snipped for size.
Qloof234 wrote:Image

This is from an earlier iteration of an adventure in my current project [HR]. However, even after I revamped the whole NPC command structure in this level, this bug persists.

Specifically, when the NPC walks into a spring, instead of reverting to standing once she hits the wall (or an obstacle, I've tried that too), she just... Floats there, still playing the "spring" animation.

I've tried using an NPC Change button to make her change back to standing, but it didn't do anything. I played around with the NPC Turn/YawAdjust a bit to see if maybe that was the culprit, but...
Now then, I figured that it was possibly a bug with either the level itself (somehow), or the NPC object. What I ended up doing is completely rebuilding the entire level with a different layout, and using a fresh NPC object instead of copying one over from a different level.

And yet, this still happens. I don't have a clue why this is happening at all. The best guess I had was that the reason it works flawlessly in WA1/MoFI was because of NPC Change commands, but looking at Stinker Rescue Part 2 in the WAE, there don't appear to be any. Checking the area in MoFI's hub (near the beginning, in Wonderfalls) where NPCs use springs gives me the same results - there aren't any NPC Change commands around.

I've also run Stinker Rescue Part 2 in the WA3E player, and it works fine. Same exact thing for MoFI's hub area.

Seeing as no one knew (or at least, no one told me Image ) last time, I doubt things will change, but does anyone out there recognize this and know how to fix it?

EDIT: Just now, I've tried using NPC Change commands. Still nothing. I have no idea what's going on here.

EDIT2: Now I'm even more confused! I made a test level where I just had NPCs walk into springs, no dialogue or anything else, and they work fine! What in the world is going on.

EDIT3: Okay, I'm really lost here. If I use the default, no-hat/blue-eyes/etc. NPC, everything works fine. The moment I give the NPC the hat/eye colour/characteristics I need, the animation bug starts up again.

What is going on??????

EDIT4: OKAY FOUND THE PROBLEM

For some reason, if an NPC's idle animation isn't the default "Sway" (or at least, if it's Wave Sometime, haven't tried any others), then the animation fails to reset properly for some reason.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Re: Weird NPC Animation bug

Post by samuelthx » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Qloof234 wrote:For some reason, if an NPC's idle animation isn't the default "Sway" (or at least, if it's Wave Sometime, haven't tried any others), then the animation fails to reset properly for some reason.
That's pretty weird. Thanks for informing!
Do you think that using CMD 4 to change an NPCs animation state before it springs could circumvent this problem?
EDIT: Ok lol just saw Skype. So this can be fixed with an NPC Change Command. I guess CMD 4 would work then.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Interesting, thanks for posting this, it'll be helpful.