Adventure #77: Wondertrolls

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Adventure #77: Wondertrolls

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun May 26, 2019 4:26 pm

In some games, there is a practice of making "troll levels", which are levels that give the player a difficult time by defying their expectations. This adventure was my attempt at replicating the concept in Wonderland Adventures. Using all of my esoteric knowledge of Wonderland Adventures' internal mechanics, I did the best I could to get inside the (theoretical) player's head and torment them with all sorts of different surprises. ;)

In any case, I've been meaning to get this done for months, and I'm fairly pleased with the results. It ended up being way bigger than I had originally planned for (clocking in at 14 wlvs and 33 dias), but I think that's for the best!

I hope you enjoy. :)

(Download count of original version: 24)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MyNameIsKooky on Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: Adventure #77: Wondertrolls

Post by Sammy_P » Sun May 26, 2019 6:34 pm

FIRST POST AND FIRST DOWNLOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stinkyhappy: :stinkyhappy: :stinkyhappy: :stinkylol: :stinkylol: :stinkylol: :stinkysad: :piratewink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Sun May 26, 2019 9:03 pm

Wuvely :stinkycool:
:D
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sun May 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Okay holy crap. This is probably one of the most creative levels made in the editor ever. I mean, everything you do in the editor is pretty magical anyways, so... :P
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:47 pm

Okay, this is epic
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon May 27, 2019 6:42 am

I guess a few semi-cryptic moments where you're like "what does the level want me to even do?" were unavoidable, but other than that, THIS LEVEL IS A MASTERPIECE. 8)

From the opening that perfectly establishes the level's tone (akin to a shotgun blast to the face -- if it doesn't tell you what this level is all about, nothing will), to the continuous escalation of surprises and deceptions later on, this level doesn't just subvert expectations at first, but does so continuously.

Yes, you're bound to guess a few surprises here and there (it's surprising how much mileage you can get just by messing with tile logic mismatch in creative ways), but that only makes it freakier when something DOES catch you unprepared. And that will happen... often. My mind got blown too many times to count.

Moreover, this level is actually possible to figure out by yourself. First, you use trial-and-error and fail in some utterly hilarious manner, but then you know enough to actually think analytically about how to accomplish your goal. In a level of this kind, this is not as easy to achieve as it sounds.

I don't want to write too much stuff for fear of spoiling this experience -- suffice to say I fell for almost every trick in your book. :wink:

One warning, while not all WLVs are actually useful (there are some intentional traps), this level is still long as hell. I know that all the save/loads and game restarts make the game timer an inaccurate identifier, but when I finished, it said it took me 33 minutes and 35 seconds. This is a lo-o-o-o-o-o-ng, epic experience, make sure you've got the time first. It's not a quickie level you can beat in a few minutes.

Hats off, MNIK, this is absolutely out of this world, a real mind-stretcher. Oh, and did I mention how funny all the player's inevitable trial-and-error failures will be? Because they will be funny, oh yes.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:49 pm

Wat

First of all, I'm glad to see you back on the forums again, MNIK! Honestly speaking there's not much to say, this level is exceptional and I don't think I've ever seen something like it (maybe Blast!10's "I still wanna be the guy" could compete but this one wasn't frustrating at all). :P

Thank you so much for the level, and welcome back! :D
LEVEL LIS1
The Hidd3n Archive, Part Four: [33%, Paused]
The Hidden 4rchive, Part Three (Redeemer's Edition)
The Apocollab [0%, Confirmed, Planning]
Are Cookie and Ash Gay? [Cancelled]
PhoenixBlaze
Rainbow Wizard

Post by PhoenixBlaze » Tue May 28, 2019 11:21 pm

This is the funniest and scariest level I've played (because it always gets me when i die suddenly).

bruh
currently simping for kiyotaka ishimaru
PrinceDarwin

Post by PrinceDarwin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 pm

I have a question, how do you decode this and what does this mean?:

Code: Select all

WIFYEIRUEOFIEOETUIEYTTTIOEUEOTU2341342
DIEYEITOYUTDABDABDABLOLRUIROEUT2415253
FKAIHHAHAHROROMUDAMUAORAORAFATT2583753
I really need your help.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:39 am

I'd write this as spoiler text, but the level has been out there for some time now, and it's one of the most cruel possible traps, so...

It literally doesn't mean anything. Try a different tactic. :wink:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
PrinceDarwin

Post by PrinceDarwin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:39 am
I'd write this as spoiler text, but the level has been out there for some time now, and it's one of the most cruel possible traps, so...

It literally doesn't mean anything. Try a different tactic. :wink:
I tried a few different tactics, but no matter which one I try, they don't seem to work. Can you please help me with this? What did I do wrong?? :stinkyconfused:
The Part I'm Stuck On.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Here's a big hint (highlight to read it):
The entire room is just bait. There is no way to solve it, and no way to escape it. It's just a room where all of the LevelExits lead to the same room. There is no time limit, and there is no secret code. It's just there to troll you.

Lots of people have complained directly to me about this room. Soon, when I make the time for it, I will be uploading a revised version of this adventure that better explains what's going on with this room -- for any people who decide to play this in the future.

P.S. Thanks everyone who played this adventure. The feedback and response was far greater than I anticipated. I have already begun work on a sequel, and it will be released sometime in the coming weeks. :)
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:57 am

I'll see about possibly playing this one tomorrow if I remember, Kooky (hopefully the Nintendo Direct and Nintendo Treehouse @ E3 doesn't make forget to pay Wonderland a visit).

Fair warning: As much as I love watching DGR and other YouTubers get trolled in Mario Maker, this will be the first time I ever play a troll level in anything personally. So... I'm probably going to be walking straight into a trap set by the mythical Pokemon Darkrai here. This is going to be a new experience for me and we'll see if this ends up a nightmare or if Cresselia comes to my rescue and makes it enjoyable. (Sorry for the Pokemon puns, I couldn't resist.)
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:38 am

Double post, but...

I've tried everything I can think of in this room here. And I can't figure out what to do.

Edit: Uhhhhhh... Attached photo is giving me a yellow ! triangle next to status for some reason? How do I fix this?
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 pm

The attachment you're uploading could be:
- an incompatible file format
- too many kilobytes to upload
- have too large dimensions(?)
Those are the ideas I can think of off the top of my head. It could be something else. There's not really a way for me to tell without more info.

In any case, about the room you're stuck in: can you describe the room you're talking about?
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:59 pm

It's the third room you come to (not counting that softlock near the beginning). It has the Wondertown music playing.

I've figured out how to get 3 Brrs but I don't know how to hit the Fire button on the left across the ice (I'm 99% sure it's needed).

The weird thing is that it was giving me an error saying the image file size was too large, so I resized it, but for some reason it still wouldn't upload after that, even though it no longer gave an error, so I didn't know what was going on until I saw the status section. Even weirder, that yellow ! triangle only appears AFTER the green bar that also appears next to status fills up completely.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:18 pm

Small hint: After you hit the fire button, there is a way to not die when returning across the ice.

Medium hint: You will need to use one Brr charge in order to hit the fire button and live.

BIG hint: The Brr charge (mentioned in the previous hint) should be used to retrieve something else that you can use near the ice.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Interesting... I'll try and figure it out later; with Nintendo Tteehouse Live at E3 going on still I don't want to potentially miss something of interest.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:32 am

I have updated this adventure to work properly for newer versions of the modded Wonderland Adventures editor. It should work for vanilla WA3E as well. There are also some loophole fixes and some general polishing, as well as a tiny bit of extra dialogue (but nothing super noteworthy).

Happy 16-month anniversary to Wondertrolls! There will be more coming later. In a couple years, maybe...Trollface for president.