New Level—Multiple Choice

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
WonderlandFan
Silver Wonderlander

New Level—Multiple Choice

Post by WonderlandFan » Sun May 31, 2020 1:21 pm

In this level, there are many paths you can take to the exit, each with a certain difficulty (as indicated by the height of the fake walls by the teleporters.) The harder difficulty you choose, the more bonus points you'll get! This level was inspired by a level that my older brother made when we were little, which is also included as 'OG.LV6' Give it a try! This level has a lot of replability. :stinkyhappy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wondeland fan and speedrunner. :stinkyhappy:
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: New Level—Multiple Choice

Post by Amnon » Sun May 31, 2020 2:51 pm

These levels are improper because they cannot be completed with all coins.

If you like, you can complete them by allowing continuation from one segment to the other, or by adding characters that can start once Stinky completes.
WonderlandFan
Silver Wonderlander

Post by WonderlandFan » Sun May 31, 2020 2:55 pm

That's not really a goal for this level
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun May 31, 2020 7:51 pm

That's not really a goal for this level
But is it a level at all?
The name "level" comes from the idea of something that can and needs to be completed in order to proceed to the next one.
Over the years we had cases of broken "levels" that had no exit, or had a coin stuck in a hard wall, etc.: These should be avoided because when viewing the list of games to complete, they permanently leave the column of scores without a star.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sun May 31, 2020 8:53 pm

Amnon wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:51 pm
The name "level" comes from the idea of something that can and needs to be completed in order to proceed to the next one.
Huh. Does it really? I didn't know that.

In any case, Amnon stated what I was thinking. It's a completionist's worst nightmare. Not being able to 100% the level is really irritating from that point of view. It'd be one thing if, say, this was TOW, because that game doesn't track Bonus Coins - but it's not TOW. It's RTW, which does track Bonus Coins against a total and counts it towards 100%, so this kind of level design goes against the game's... I think "philosophy" is the word I'm looking for? I hate it when I'm not sure what word to use...

Point being, I think a good design for this level that fits with the game's... Philosophy... Would be to be completable by means of the easier path, but should have a means of returning to the start near the end and taking the harder paths from there. Maybe with some creativity you could also craft (an) optional challenge(s) you need to solve in order to take multiple paths.

Edit: I think Super Monkey Ball would probably be a better example of the type of game the current version of the level would work in, since in TOW, it's still possible to get every Bonus Coin. In Super Monkey Ball, Bananas give bonus points, but you don't have to - and, often, can't - get all of them.
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
WonderlandFan
Silver Wonderlander

Post by WonderlandFan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:19 am

I guess you could replace the bonus coins with clocks? I personally don’t see the importance since it’s just a fun lil level but that would fix the 100% issue.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:30 am

Yes, clocks would fit here very nicely!
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:40 am

WonderlandFan wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:19 am
I guess you could replace the bonus coins with clocks? I personally don’t see the importance since it’s just a fun lil level but that would fix the 100% issue.
That's a great idea!
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits