RULES OF THUMB: HOW TO NOT TURN TOPICS INTO FLAMEWARS

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

RULES OF THUMB: HOW TO NOT TURN TOPICS INTO FLAMEWARS

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:59 pm

1. Don't point fingers.
Pointing fingers is absolutely unneccessary. If you disagree about something, see rule 2.

2. Remember that OPINIONS are PERSONAL.
You can't just say, for example "game X is bad". However, both "I hate (insert strengthening words) game X" and "I think that game X is horrible" are a lot more passable. Even better if you say something like "I hate game X because I don't like the graphics and it has far too many glitches and lag for my taste". Which raises the next rule...

3. EXPLAIN your opinion.
For the love of Wonderland, PLEASE do so. Or try to do so at least. An unexplained opinion is a flamebait for those who ignore rule 2. Don't be a flamebait. You know you don't want to.

4. Use [sarc][/sarc] for sarcasm.
You'll be surprised how hard it is to understand what IS sarcasm and what ISN'T when you can't hear HOW a phrase is said, when you lack intonation. And a misunderstood sarcasm can raise flamewars VERY easily.

5. NEVA RITE LIK THIZ
There are a few exceptions to this rule, but if you want to use it, use it carefully. Even "u" instead of "you" can be grating on the nerves, and for some people (mostly those who ignore rule 1) it's also a flamebait. Don't be a flamebait.

6. Don't insult a person for no reason.
Don't cuss at people who didn't deserve it. Unreasonable cussing is also a huge flamebait.

7. If someone is wrong and it's not a matter of opinion, but a fact, PLEASE be nice, when proving a person wrong.
Just be calm and nice to each other, OK?

8. Don't be a flamebait.
Just don't. There's no reason to. If you follow these rules, you probably won't be one.

9. Ignore flamebaits.
There're posts which practially scream outloud "war begun, get ready for a huge, flaming fight!" But can a fight happen, when there's nobody to fight against?? No. If everybody ignores a flamebait, it'll eventually die out.

10. Don't post nonsense.
First of all, it's annoying. Second, it's the biggest flamebait ever in the world. Third, it's annoying. I hope you don't need more reasons, do you?

More to come as I think of it...
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
pie_or_cake
Gold Wonderlander

Post by pie_or_cake » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:10 pm

As someone told me this message will make things worse,I deleted it.

BTW Some kids(no name please)are violating these rules as they don't know every opinions are personal.
Ya know meh real thing..no need to hide.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Think of them as guidelines of what NOT to do. Just don't.
And provocative posts like this one of yours are also a big flamebait.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
pie_or_cake
Gold Wonderlander

Post by pie_or_cake » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Think of them as guidelines of what NOT to do. Just don't.
And provocative posts like this one of yours are also a big flamebait.
I don't really think it's a problem cause we cannot delete posts now in this forum. So if you posted a wrong reply in a wrong topic,and you deleted that post,will that REALLY be a flamebait?I don't think so.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Probably not, but it depends. Every situation is individual and must be judged as such.
pie_or_cake
Gold Wonderlander

Post by pie_or_cake » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:57 pm

Agree. We sometimes think different than the others,like the kids,teens,adults,and old ones.They think at a different angle so sometimes it will cause flame wars.
duncan
Rainbow Seeker

Re: RULES OF THUMB: HOW TO NOT TURN TOPICS INTO FLAMEWARS

Post by duncan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:18 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
10. Don't post nonsense.
First of all, it's annoying. Second, it's the biggest flamebait ever in the world. Third, it's annoying. I hope you don't need more reasons, do you?

well, nonsense is bad,but randomness is what Offtopic is for.

PS:I ALWAYS try to not turn topics into flamewars but, that is hard when my everyday life is like a flamewar.
Don't judge a person by his look,but his heart
Anytime, Anyplace, Adventure Always Awaits!
Last edited by Loof on 1/1/19999999999999999 BC; edited 98998 in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:24 pm

When posting randomness you just need to be careful and make sure it didn't cross the line of nonsensicality. :wink:
duncan
Rainbow Seeker

Post by duncan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 pm

Muzozavr wrote:When posting randomness you just need to be careful and make sure it didn't cross the line of nonsensicality. :wink:
ok
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 pm

This topic should be stickied before another huge FlameWar starts up...
sewel5
Rainbow Keeper

Post by sewel5 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:11 am

What's a flamebait?
I'll get a toontown membership if I can make bread.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:54 am

A flamebait is a post or in super-rare worst case a person which provokes a flamewar, as a red shirt provokes a bull. (OK, I know that it's the movement, and not the color, but you get it) Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes not. In all cases, you should try to avoid of making a flamebait-like post, or (gasp!) being a flamebait-like person. Usually this shouldn't be too hard, but everyone makes slip-ups.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:06 am

This deserves a bump.

Check this out:
List of annoying words and phrases
Some were left out, and a few are strictly about game design and coding (which I don't really have a clue about) but most of them are generic. Unless you want to use them for comedy, think twice. :wink:
duncan
Rainbow Seeker

Post by duncan » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:14 pm

ok, let me tell you this right now. about the "you"and"u" thing, sometimes if people like me are in a hurry to post, and they mess up bigtime if they type fast, it is just better to say "u" than "you", but if you do, say sorry later.
nhelene
Silver Wonderlander

Re: RULES OF THUMB: HOW TO NOT TURN TOPICS INTO FLAMEWARS

Post by nhelene » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:48 am

5. NEVA RITE LIK THIZ
There are a few exceptions to this rule, but if you want to use it, use it carefully. Even "u" instead of "you" can be grating on the nerves, and for some people (mostly those who ignore rule 1) it's also a flamebait. Don't be a flamebait.

I absolutely agree with you. It's not a chat room, or a texto on a cellular phone. But some abreviations are cool to use. Anyway mistyping can also be the reason.
duncan
Rainbow Seeker

Post by duncan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:56 pm

thank you
Kabooms Rock
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Kabooms Rock » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Qloof234 wrote:This topic should be stickied before another huge FlameWar starts up...
funny you mentioned that...
this is almost the only safe feeling place with that huge flaimwar (i am not mentioning which one for its better off with less people fueling it)
save off topic by clicking here and here
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:48 pm

This was needed to be bumped ._.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Blink
Rainbow Master

Post by Blink » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:50 pm

STICKY PLOX

Muzozavr, you are a genius for posting this.

I have a suggestion. If a flamewar does start, just end it with 'Have a nice day.', sarcastic or not. :lol:
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:55 pm

Muzozavr wrote:List of annoying words and phrases
Some were left out, and a few are strictly about game design and coding (which I don't really have a clue about) but most of them are generic. Unless you want to use them for comedy, think twice. :wink:
THOSE. ARE. NOT WORTH. STARTING. A. WAR. OVER.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:30 pm

DEEMAN223344 wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:List of annoying words and phrases
THOSE. ARE. NOT WORTH. STARTING. A. WAR. OVER.
Of course they aren't worth starting a war over. But some people do. So... just to be on the safe side... :wink: